Monday, August 10, 2020

Its August, its raining, in Iso and alls well!

Hello!

Great to be back, and I do look forward to working my way around and catching up on everyone's news while I've been away from Blogger.

Life here in our little spot in the world hasn't changed much.  We've been keeping busy with home-type activities.  
Have been getting used to the Click n Collect method of grocery shopping... hmmm, that can be fun... yesterday I clicked on 4 different kinds of items under the "desserts" category, lol, today I feel not quite so tempted so shall un-click on a couple... oh that Custard Danish is definitely staying though 😉

We've been having some very welcome rain of late and the garden is lapping it up.  One of my favourite things to do is to look down at the fishpond through our loungeroom window... seeing the raindrops on the water and the fish happily poking around the pond is lovely.  Here's what I mean:

While I'm on the subject of the pond.  Here's a few more I've taken over the years:

A cute little Skink, likes to visit the pond occasionally.

Skinks nest in the tops of pot plants where there's leaf litter etc.  We have lots of them around our garden.  I purposely leave old saucers overturned as shelters for them too... they use them, a lot!

Here's a pretty Poppy (cutting from our Son) and Waterlily (cutting from our Daughter) that have grown in the pond, in the warmer weather:

I'd been getting myself in a bit of a "tizz" over the fact that the wearing of masks hadn't been encouraged in our State (Victoria), and yet the infection rates and deaths were rising daily... so I've been that annoying old lady who writes emails and does rants on FB lol! 

Finally, the powers-that-be were suddenly embracing the wearing of masks, in fact they made them mandatory (so many experts had produced solid evidence of their efficacy, side by side social distancing etc, at last our government acknowledged them). 

For those odd occasions we do venture out into the world, we wear our handmade masks. My sewing is a bit crooked, but it does the job... I made them the evenings while watching tv.  Here's some of my efforts:

Can't work out how to add a caption to above image, no matter... Hubby likes the top style and I prefer the two lower styles.

Well, now, I hope everyone's doing ok as we work our way through this wonky year.  We all have family we miss dearly don't we ... just got to take each day as it comes, worrying is time wasted ❤

Bye for now and I'll see you over at yours, Sue xx




71 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are doing well. Have a great week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Valerie, lovely to see you and thanks.. all is well. Good wishes to you for your week too 💐xx

      Delete
  2. Good to see you back Sue - yes you're right. We may not like it but we just have to take each day as it comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cathy, thank you and, good for you, I hope each of your days are full of nice things. Thinking of you over in your neck of the woods. It too will end. Cheers 💐 xx

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! I like it that you don't give up your blog,just take a beneficial break now and then, and come back.
    Masks are important. I intend to wear them when going out, even if the corona virus vanishes. It's good for common cold too, even better than the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Duta and thank you so much. No, I wouldn't abandon my blog... its always so sad to go back and find a "Profile not Available". Yes, sometimes a break is needed and is always beneficial. A blog takes time and thought (Instagram is easy and quick... and I do enjoy it too), but other times its nice to spend the extra time and to appreciate the effort bloggers put into their posts. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to do a post this time, seems the changes blogger has brought in have smoothed out the glitches I was experiencing on this platform.

      Yes, I agree with you about masks. Over here too our influenza numbers this Winter have plummeted. Hubby and I both wear our masks automatically now and I cannot see us stopping that practice any time soon! Besides, I enjoy making them.

      Lovely to catch up Duta, and now I'll pop over to yours 💐 xx

      Delete
  4. Hello Sue, I didn't think you would be back in Blogland after your last post so doubly glad to see you here again.
    Ah, the joys of click and collect and adding and subtracting and the calls of "Have you remembered to order .......".
    Aren't ponds wonderful and I am having "yellow poppy in the pond" envy. Was that a land poppy which landed in the pond or a special pond poppy?
    How marvellous to have skinks visiting.
    I like your masks. I've got fabric laid out to make some and am quite interested in your second ones, will look for a pattern on the Internet.
    Love from Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sheila, how lovely of you, thank you. Yes, I'm back in blogland. I will take breaks but shall always return (well, as long as my fingers can type ;D) xx )
      Yes, click and collect is fun.. we do it a bit differently as we each have a computer, so can log on independently and find little "extras" lol. Hubby goes through the half-price specials too (I have no patience for that) and will find some goodies!
      The poppy is a water plant, I'm not sure of its proper name though I'm sorry. I shall find out from our Son and get back to you :D)
      I found that pattern on youtube Sheila and that's something else I'll get back to you here. The black & white mask on the lower rhs of my photo collage is so good for when wearing glasses 💐

      Delete
    2. Here's a link to the youtube for mask pattern mentioned above Sheila:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ-EKaZxwAs&app=desktop

      Our Son just refers to them as Water Poppies, a plant he bought from his local pond plant suppliers.

      Hope these are of help xx

      Delete
  5. Hello Sue,
    It is great to see a new post from you. You are stay safe and wearing the mask, that is good to hear. Your fish pond is nice, I love the waterlily. The skink is cute. Take care! Have a happy day and a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Eileen. Its nice to be back and re-connecting, appreciate you dropping by xx 💐

      Delete
  6. Hi Sue welcome back. Your yard is amazing. When I tried to get on the click and shop thing here in my town it was closed due to too many people signing up for it. So I go shopping at 6AM when there are not many people there. I like your masks but I am with you I like the second set of photos. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, great to see you and thank you :D)
      That's a shame about your click and collect being closed, that's what happened here a while back... hope yours comes back soon. However, your early morning shopping idea is excellent!
      You too, enjoy the rest of the week xx 💐

      Delete
  7. Hello my friend! I've been reading about the cases in Australia that have been going up. Good for you for ranting about masks. I did the same here in New York State. I wrote the governor, talked to a store manager and ranted a bit on my blog. Unbelievable how people don't want to wear a mask for a little while!
    I love your little skink! What a cute name. I've always been so enamored of Australia. Would love to visit. So glad you're back to blogland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Debra! Lovely to see you. Yes, it is unbelievable how some folk whinge about having to wear a mask... there are ads here saying how much better it is to wear a mask than a ventilator mast!! true!

      Our skinks are gorgeous, we both love to see them scampering here and there throughout the garden. Its fun thinking up ways to adapt the garden to their needs :D)

      Beaut to be back, thanks again xx 💐

      Delete
  8. Hi Sue. I am excited to see you here, and you did such a great job on your masks. I could hardly find any in our stores once the pandemic became so scary! I finally had to order from Amazon, and got a box of them. A couple of weeks ago one of the stores had some washable cloth masks, and I bought them. They fog my glasses up, haha! But we wear them faithfully.

    Your pond is so enjoyable and lovely! And, your lilies are very pretty. We haven't had rain for a couple of weeks now, and I am only keeping a few outdoor plants alive. I have some herbs that I am keeping inside to enjoy along with a few aquarium fish. I am glad to hear you are doing well, and send hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Suzanne, and thanks for that - I have heaps of time so I thought I'd have a go at making ours... I really enjoy it now and have just cut out some more. Kind of justifies the time when I'm having perhaps more "tv-time" than is recommended ;D)
      Re: the fogging up of glasses, I read a hint here locally that if you wash your glasses with warm water and soap, rinse and then let air dry... no harm in trying eh!
      Hope you get some rain soon. I'm sure your herbs are thriving under your care, they're lovely to have handy too aren't they.
      Great to read your message, lovely to re-connect xx 💐

      Delete
  9. Welcome back Sue, love all the wonderful pictures.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, that's lovely of you to say 💐xx

      Delete
  10. Glad to have you back. I've had a break too. So sorry for you Victorians. I hope things improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, thank you and I will look forward to catching up with you too.
      Thanks for your lovely thoughts, its worrying all right but that's just how things are and we all know how it can spring up anywhere... that's the frightening thing about it. All the best to you up there xx 💐

      Delete
  11. That pond is so lovely. I would love to open my back door and have a little pond to go and see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, thank you and yes its so enjoyable! Lovely to see you 💐xx

      Delete
  12. Hello Sue!
    It's good to know you're in good health.
    We cannot let our guard down against Covide19. Here in Portugal things are improving. Whenever we go out we must wear a mask. Congratulations on making your own masks. Who is an artist ...? Who is it...?
    The rain is dull but necessary.
    Here in Portugal, we needed it to rain to cool the weather, because it is very hot and so that the fires that are destroying our forests are over. Good week.
    A hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Manuel, thanks for leaving your message. Oh gosh, those fires over there are so worrying. Glad to read that in regard to covid things are improving where you live. Yes, masks will be with us for a long time... less influenza infections over here this Winter!
      Beautiful rain for our gardens.
      Cheers and will visit soon 💐xx

      Delete
  13. Welcome back :)
    What a lovely post, your fishpond does look great and I like the water lily and poppy.

    Yes, we too wear masks; they do take some getting used to though!

    This year has certainly been a strange one as we all get used to 'the new normal'.

    Take care, stay safe and well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan, lovely to catch up with you too. Thank you and, yes, its been such a strange year. It is scooting along too - so much packed into each month. Appreciate your kind thoughts, you too... stay well. Cheerio for now 💐 xx

      Delete
  14. Me alegra saber que estas bien. Tu jardín se ve muy bonito. Las mascarillas me gustan. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: "I'm glad to know you are fine. Your garden looks very nice. I like the masks. A hug."

      Thanks so much Teresa, your thoughts are appreciated xx I'm glad to know you are fine. Your garden looks very nice. I like the masks. A hug.

      Delete
  15. Hello Sue, I hopped over from Eileen's blog. I like your fish pond. Over here if one is caught for not wearing mask in public, the fine is RM1,000. Some of us are opting for fabric mask which we can wash and reuse. Have a good day and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nancy, thank you for visiting :D)
      We are still getting people who refuse to wear a mask so, as in your country, there are fines too. I guess that there will always be those who deny and rebel... the trouble is, their actions could potentially spell disaster for others - if not themselves.
      The fish pond is always nice to see, especially first thing in the morning when we pull the curtains aside.
      All the best 💐

      Delete
  16. nice to see a post ...and that pond looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 💐 Thanks Sandy... finally getting to grips with Blogger, its working ok too!
      Yes, love our pond, and I enjoy feeding the fish too. Cheers xx

      Delete
    2. wow, i forgot to come back and respond. We use to have a pond at our old house but nothing as beautiful as yours. I 'm glad to see you have a new blog post up top and

      Delete
    3. that's ok Sandy - oh, I'm dragging my feet in blogland these days!

      Delete
  17. How gorgeous these photos are you talented lady...and you sew along with all of your other talents! Wow!
    Stay Safe and Hugs 🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan, its so lovely to see you pop in! You're kind, I wouldn't look too closely at my hand-sewing but it does the job... and... keeps my busy lol, but, thank you and you too! xx 💐

      Delete
  18. Dear Sue so glad to see you are back. You have been missed. Your garden looks good.The poppy is such a lovely colour. We have been dry also and in need of some rain. You are doing a great job with those masks. In our state it has been mandated also. Pray it helps the spread. Well take care friend and keep safe. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Debbie. Thank you, that poppy plant spreads really well just by floating in the water (probably a nuisance in waterways but when in a smaller environment its easily controlled).
      I enjoy making the masks and do a little each day.
      Lovely to see you too Debbie, cheers now xx 💐

      Delete
  19. t is an odd year, isn't it?!?! your masks are awesome, i do not see any crooked stitching!!

    pretty, colorful images today sue, i am glad to see you back and posting!!

    many thanks for your kind words on my recent post, i so appreciate them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not a year to be repeated Debbie... yes, odd and I feel so much worse to endure for younger folk.
      You're very kind about my stitching lol, they do the job and are original ;D) It tickles me that as we pass other wearers of homemade masks, there's a bit of "checking out each others' patterns and materials" that goes on. I'm thinking of using plain material and perhaps get the paint brushes out... will see!
      Lovely to see your butterfly photos today. All the best and take care of yourself :D) xx 💐

      Delete
    2. thanks sue, painting masks sounds like a good idea!!!

      Delete
  20. Great to see you back Sue :) Glad to see you’re well and keeping safe. We are also keeping close to home and are having our groceries delivered to us for the time being. This is something I have never done before. You made me chuckle about that Cheese Danish. I would have kept that on the list too :) My ‘keep on the list’ item is an ice-cream sandwich! Enjoyed all your super photos and your garden looks very pretty. We have had a lot of rain too this week, thunderstorms also that bring flash flood warnings. Well done on writing your e-mails. Your masks look very pretty but more importantly, they do the job. I wear masks every time I go out, I figure it's a hug for my family and friends, for everyone out there actually, even the naysayers. It’s quite late here and time for me to get to bed. Enjoy your Friday dear friend, enjoy your weekend and keep safe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see your message too Denise, thanks for popping in :D)
      We humans are nothing if not adaptable eh. Hope the floods haven't impacted too much over your way. Sometimes it seems that covid is all there is on the news but life goes on just the same, albeit a little differently.
      Loving the sound of your ice-cream sandwich... its nice to have those little comfort foods now and then (oops, perhaps a little bit more nowadays, in our household anyway ;D)).
      All the best and you too, have a great weekend xx💐

      Delete
  21. Your garden with its pond seems to be a real wildlife oasis. Bravo! It is both wonderful and interesting to share your world with these creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David, thanks for your visit. Yes, every day there are many little creatures skittering around down there in our "rainforesty-pond-area". I'm always amazed at just how many have made it their home.

      Delete
  22. I am glad you are doing fine. Your fish pond makes me realise it is time I gave mine a clean up ... lots of weed in it at the moment like the rest of our garden since we have had lots of rain. In NSW we are encouraged to wear masks on public transport and in busy shops. Since we only catch public transport to Sydney once a month and our shops in the country are all but empty I decided to take the lazy way and buy a box of disposable masks. We won't run out in months unless they make them mandatory whenever we are outside which will be a bit dumb out here in the bush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joan, ah yes, cleaning the fish pond... prior to taking the first photo in my post I too had cleaned the pond. The lily roots had actually grown so much and so thick they'd formed into the shape of the pond! It was such a mammoth task to get everything out, bit by bit, over a period of time, I was too worn out to take photos... but it was such huge growth that I don't know how the fish survived! I threw bits of it all throughout the garden as I figured it'd be fairly beneficial to the plants as it rotted down... they haven't complained ;D)

      I see your numbers are climbing in NSW lately, its a worrisome time isn't it and I wish you all the best. They're mandatory here but only for when we leave home, which makes sense. Everyone has complied so well too, at least in our region, which is good to see.
      Cheers now and all the best to you... keep warm, its so cold these days isn't it!!! xx💐

      Delete
  23. Liebe Sue,
    Auch bin bin froh, von Dir zu hören und dass es Dir gut geht.
    Dieses Virus stellt uns vor mächtige Aufgaben! Bei uns steigen die Zahlen z. Zt. wieder deutlich an. Das liegt zum einen an den Urlaubsheimkehrern...Ich persönlich kann nicht verstehen, dass man in Zeiten einer Pandemie unbedingt in Urlaub fahren muss, mit all den Risiken für einen selbst und für alle, denen man begegnet!!!
    Allerdings ist der noch größere Teil der Neuansteckungen Familienfeiern, Festen und Partys gechuldet!!! Das verstehe ich noch weniger!!! Ich weiß vielen dauert das alles zu lange, und sie wollen zu ihrem "alten Leben" zurück...Aber wir sind doch keine kleinen Kinder! Als Erwachsene müssen wir doch sehen, dass besonders verantwortungsvolles Handeln jetzt ganz stark gefragt ist - für alle! Insbesondere für unsere Kinder und Enkel, für unsere Alten und Kranken, für ALLE - natürlich auch für uns selbst!

    Ich wünsche Dir und all Deinen Lieben, dass Ihr unbeschadet durch diese schlimme Zeit kommt!
    Alles Liebe

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: "Dear Sue,
      I am also glad to hear from you and that you are fine.
      This virus presents us with powerful tasks! With us the numbers are increasing z. At the moment clearly again. On the one hand, this is due to the people returning from vacation ... I personally cannot understand that in times of a pandemic you absolutely have to go on vacation, with all the risks for yourself and for everyone you meet!
      However, the larger part of the new infections is due to family celebrations, celebrations and parties !!! I understand that even less! I know that for many it all takes too long and they want to go back to their "old life" ... But we are not little children! As adults we have to see that especially responsible behavior is now very much in demand - for everyone! Especially for our children and grandchildren, for our old and sick people, for EVERYONE - of course for ourselves too!

      I wish you and all your loved ones that you get through this bad time unscathed!
      All the best

      Heidi"


      Hello Heidi, thank you for your thoughtful comments and your visit.
      Yes, I agree... sometimes we can only shake our head at the impatience of some folk in this world. The feeling when we physically miss our dear ones is overwhelming at times. Its hard for everyone in some way or another. Its the same here, the infection has spread through families getting together because that's how they've always done it and, in their selfish thinking ... why shouldn't they continue to do so.
      Thanks too for your kind wishes and I send them over to you as well. It will all pass and we will all adapt with whatever our futures become. It has been encouraging in some ways in that there is so much less influenza being passed around with the wearing of masks!
      Take care and all the very best Heidi... continue to enjoy your beautiful garden xx💐

      Delete
  24. I do like your masks, and good for you that you wear them! In this country masks have become a political item - only in America! Everywhere else people use common sense (at least it seems like it), but here that seems to be the least popular choice. I don't think we'll get out of this unless we get a vaccine (but then of course they will discuss whether they should actually use it...).
    Cute little skink! Sometimes lizards find their way into my garden and I love their company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carola, its funny how some people react to the wearing of masks isn't it. Such a small thing to do to help oneself and others... its been proven that its been keeping our influenza numbers down this winter so, if nothing else ;D)
      Good wishes to you, especially at this time in your summer with those fires... again!
      Yes, the skinks are such lovely little unassuming creatures.
      Thanks for visiting, all the best xx💐

      Delete
  25. I would keep the custard pastries on the list, too, Sue! I was shocked to see the skink because I have a little story....I had bought a tray of succulents recently and had started potting them up when a little lizard that looked exactly like your skink jumped out and wandered off my deck! The succulents must have come from your part of the world! I took some photos because I had never seen anything like that here (in Washington State in the far Northwest of USA). I felt so sorry for the little thing, but I feel better knowing they like moist conditions (lots of that here near Seattle). You have inadvertently solved the mystery for me! I like your little pond and your masks turned out great. We have the same problem with people not wearing masks in some parts of our country, but here they seem to be following protocol for the most part. Such a strange time we are living in. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen, it was a real treat too! Yum :D)
      How lovely that you were able to find out about your little skink from my post. He/she had obviously hitched a ride in the succulents, I've seen how beautiful and skink-friendly your garden is so I'm sure it will be very happy and find nice safe spots there. Thanks for telling me .. there are so many different varieties of skinks throughout the world. Carola from California (who has left a comment above), mentioned she has them in her garden too.
      It certainly is a strange time we're living in - who would've thought. But, anyway, the human race is adaptive isn't it... even if some do a lot of kicking and screaming as they try to adapt ;D)
      All the best to you and yours and stay well xxxx💐

      Delete
  26. It sounds like you’re coping with the lockdown very well. Your photos always paint such an idyllic picture. Your fish and the skink look happy with their lot, too. 🙂

    Your masks look great. You’re a multi-talented and crafty woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Vicki, I think being retired really helps... would hate to be trying to get out to work through all this. We are definitely lucky.
      Glad you enjoyed my photos, its a nice thing to do isn't it.
      Take care and enjoy our beautiful weather, lol, before it gets toooo hot once more xxx🎨❤️🐝🌿🌸

      Delete
  27. Wonderful photos, thank you for sharing.
    Wishing you happy and healthy time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your visit Sirkkis 🐝🌿🌸

      Delete
  28. What a lovely pond you have to keep yourself busy during these strange times!


    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty, its enjoyable to have :D)
      Thanks too for your invitation but I can't keep up with visiting everyone anymore (on a regular basis that is) ...and I do believe that's what should happen when contributing.
      All the best ❤️🐝🌿🌸

      Delete
  29. hello sue,
    Lake wonder!
    I didn't make a lake around here, I only have a fountain;
    We are all working from home around here;
    Thank you for your view and appreciate my little
    wood house;
    Good September entry
    Hugs
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janicce, thank you... your fountain would be lovely nestled amongst your delightful garden. Its always nice visiting you and your little house. Cheers for September! xx 🐝🌿🌸

      Delete
  30. dear Sue i am glad you are back :)

    your garden is just SPLENDID :)))

    wow i am so impressed with enchantment of your garden images ,so lovely indeed and so beautifully captured
    how wise of you to sew your masks ,first thought came into my mind was
    " my mother would have done similarly :)"
    wishing you all the joy and peace in days ahead my friend !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Baili and thank you for your lovely thoughts.
      I too have often thought, like you, about what our mothers would have done.
      and, yes, mine too, she'd have gotten in and made masks. When she had us as babes, there was the polio risk, and I can remember her telling me how frightened she was during that time. Ever since, throughout her life , she'd been extra vigilant about germs and always wanted to find out why things happened as they did.
      I wish you well too xx

      Delete
  31. Hi Sue.
    I always like it when you resume blogging.
    Your blogging breaks are clever as you take the time to charge 'your batteries'.
    I like your masks; well done and helpful! We still have a long way ahead of us, and the masks are an important item in our struggle against covid-19.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Duta, sometimes I want to post but can't think of much to say but I do know I shall always keep my blog open.
      I've been following how your country is doing and keep you in mind during this tough time.
      I'm glad that here too masks are being kept as mandatory... I know my hubby and I will keep wearing them even if they aren't.
      Thanks for your thoughts, good wishes xx

      Delete
  32. That's a lovely pond you have. Victorians have done well bringing down those numbers. Australia is doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx