Sunday, December 1, 2019

December!

Update: Sunday 15th November 2019:
Hello!
I shall wind up this year here on my blog with very best wishes to everyone for a safe and peaceful Christmas.

Am starting to slow down in a few things (such as getting around to everyone on their blogs) and that's a sure sign that a little break is needed. 

A few pics first though:

On Thursday I joined the other monday art group ladies for an enjoyable end-of-year lunch: 
I had a Bloody Mary (wow! head blowing ;D)! )
followed by baked eggs, pepperonata & persian fetta ... the pepperonata was a rich tasting sauce made with tomatoes, garlic, chillies and onion - perfect, spicy but not unbearably so.
Roasted local peaches and ice cream for dessert
(too busy talking to remember a photo of dessert though)

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

The  Epis that I included, further down, in this same post, have now died off and some are currently developing fruit at the junction of the spent bloom to the leaf (usually they're edible by Christmas-time).  Here's a photo of one of them to show you what I mean:

The fruit swells and becomes a pretty pink.  Its a refreshing little tidbit! 

Our cherries continued to provide lovely eating over the past couple of weeks but, all good things must come to an end, and here I hold the final cherry of the season!  They were delicious :D)


Anyway, thanks for your blog-friendship throughout this year. 
 Good cheer and all the best.  
See you in the New Year.
Sue xx

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄


Hi there, I hope the past weeks have been good to you.

Thought I'd jazz up the background on my blog for December... spread a few baubles and glitter around... 'tis the Season!!

~ First up,  a completed painting of my current favourite flowers.
I'm pretty active on Instagram and have been lucky enough to catch up with a few blogger-friends there, so I'll always try to have something different here:

~ There's been lots of bushfires in various States here over the past couple of months and, a week or so back, here in East Gippsland some dry lightning strikes caused lots of random fires.

Currently, there's a huge 9,000+ hectare one burning just 6 km East of our town.  Because of the size, dryness of the bush etc, its likely to be around and causing spotting-on for many more days, weeks or months according to the authorities.

It's something we, like so many other communities, have learnt to live with.

We have so much admiration for the fire-fighters who attend these fires - several are in our street.  We hear them coming and going at any given time.  They're brave!  Their families who support them are wonderful too.

Life goes on but our hearts go out to the ones caught in the direct path of these fires  ❤︎❤︎

We're under the flight path of the helicopters who fill up their buckets from our river and then back to the fires... we salute those pilots also! ❤︎

~ Mum turned 95 this week and I must share with you this beautiful cake one of our Nieces, Skye, made for her.  She was thrilled to bits and was quite overwhelmed.  Mum is still an avid knitter and is currently setting her needles on fire getting a whole new layout knitted for a new babe due in the family early next year.  ('Toots' is one of those family names of endearment and the fact that Skye added that was an extra lovely touch):

Here's a sample of some of the fabulous knitting Mum has recently made:

She recently made over 2 dozen knitted Poppies for Remembrance Day as well!  She's amazing for 95!!!!

... thought I'd include some of my handmades for Mum's pressies.
They were fun to make and she loved them.  Took the wrapping paper off so carefully, saying she was going to keep that too.
It was a happy day 😊


~ These beautiful Epis burst into flower over the past few weeks.
My Sister grows them and keeps us all supplied with gorgeous varieties.  They're like an exotic touch to the garden:



~ Now to share my latest yummy obsession... sushi... but not of the raw fish kind. Me, in my ignorance, used to think that was all there was!  But, no!  There's all sorts of combinations and with the tasty ginger strips to eat between each mouthful.
On our weekly shopping day, I'm enjoying it each time Hubby suggests I may like to do some sushi-ing for lunch - oh yes! Added bonus, it ticks the gluten-free box too ;D):

~ A little sketchy card I finished last week.  Some Correas (Australian Native) in watercolour and old cardstock re-used:


~ A little glimpse into Hubby's greenhouse and the strawberries that are tantalising us.  A few weeks before we can eat these: 

.... however, a little walk further down to his orchard and look what's there!
Cherries!  Oh joy!  We have regular visits and just stand under the netting, reach up and eat.
They are so yum.
The birds can't get them at them, Hubby let the nets down in time this year ;D)


~ Another painting I had finished a while back.  This time, an acrylic:

~ The nasturtiums along the side of the house are really partying!
I've let them ramble and roam and re-seed to their hearts content and they're taking full advantage:


Well, that's about it for now.  I shall do what I did last month and pop in to add another something or other to this post and, in the meantime, get around to visit everyone over the month.

Thanks for taking the time to read and perhaps comment.  Its always lovely having an e-chat ;D)


58 comments:

  1. Hello, your new background is pretty, so cheery and bright. Your flowers are gorgeous, I am not familiar with Epis? Your paintings are pretty too. God bless the firefighters, they are so brave working to put out those wildfires. I hope you stay safe. Enjoy your day and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄 Hi Eileen and thanks, heh heh, I had a bit of fun trying lots of backgrounds out and loved this one too!
      Yes, Epiphyllums are so easy to grow, all they require is dappled light. Once those blooms die (after 3 days), we leave them attached and they form a small round fruit in its place - that takes a month or two. Its refreshing to eat!
      We're going along well thanks in regard to the fires Eileen, each day brings something else and currently there's been some rain which is welcome. Cheers and I appreciate your lovely visit xx 🎄

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue, what a lovely post, great to see you blogging again. Sorry to hear about the bush fires, it must be terrifying be so near to them. Stay safe and look after yourselves well. Happy birthday to your mum! Love her cake, and what a wonderful knitter she is, so many fabulous pieces. Talent seems to run in your family! Love all the beautiful art you have created and the presents for your mum. And I always enjoy seeing your beautiful plants. Have a good weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄 Lovely to see you Valerie! Hi! Thanks for your thoughts... I think its because there's such an organised approach to the fires here that its easier to stay focused on the practicalities. Our family know we're acting responsibly and we take each day for what it is. We're not as remote as some who have only one road in or out. Its unfortunately a growing fact of life all over the world isn't it.
      I really appreciate your thoughts re Mum and her talents! She's a feisty woman of great strength... that's whats gotten her to 95!
      Cheers and all the best to you :D) xx🎄

      Delete
  3. What a fun thing to do Sue, I love how you dressed up your blog for the month of December. Beautiful flower displays as our season prepares itself to rest yours is in full bloom.
    Happy belated Birthday to your Mum, what a grand age and so active with all her knitting, my Mother enjoys knitting woollen toys too. Her cake was amazing.
    So glad you shared your beautiful artwork with us too today, I can see why the flowers on the canvas are a favourite.
    I hear daily of the awful forest fires, keeping you and yours in my thoughts.
    Take care & stay safe Sue Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄 Hi Tracey, thanks so much... its fun window-dressing the blog!!
      Glad you enjoyed the post and thanks for your lovely words for Mum and for our Niece's beautiful cake - it took the wind out of Mum's sails for a bit... she was amazed!
      All going well here, beautiful rain overnight and today - appreciate your visit xx 🎄

      Delete
  4. Happy December Wishes to you.
    What an incredible post … full of fabulous photographs and news.
    Some good like your dear mums birthday, she looks brilliant and I'm so pleased she had a lovely day.
    Some bad like the continued fires … we do get news of them here in the UK.
    My heart goes out to all affected and a special mention for the firefighters, they are brilliant.

    I hope you enjoy the Christmas Season.
    Take care, and my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄 Hi Jan! Thanks for your lovely thoughts on my post. It was a lovely, fairly simple day, and it was nice that it could happen as it did.
      Yes, those firefighters are above and beyond - very special folk indeed.
      You too - enjoy the Christmas Season - with your family xx 🎄

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to your Mum! She looks lovely and so do her knitted pieces.
    Sorry about the fires in your area. Hope you get lots of rain to help extinguish them. We had some days of dry weather here too, but thank God - no fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Hi Duta, thank you for those lovely greetings for Mum.
      Also, thanks for your kind thoughts for more rain. We've had a nice share so far and I think it's helped a bit. It's definitely a take it as it comes situation which started very early this year. A sign of the times. Welcome back..,will see you at yours xx 🎄

      Delete
  6. Your new background is fantastic, Sue! Perfect for this season!
    So sorry to hear about the fires. Very nice of you to salute the firefighters and pilots. My husband is a retired urban firefighter, and my nephew battles wildfires on the ground in California.
    Now we know where you got your talent from! Your mom is a sweetheart & she's done some lovely work there! And so have you!!
    Art, crafts, gardening and food - you've ticked all the boxes! Great post, Sue! Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Hi Chris 😊, thanks...its fun playing around with the blog options !
      A lot of fire fighting knowledge in your family👌❤
      Mum will be tickled when I show her yours and others comments, thanks very much. Knitting is her art and she does it every day. So happy you enjoyed the post, appreciate your visit xx 🎄

      Delete
    2. Hello Sue, this is not a blogpost, it is a whole book!
      I am fascinated by your mother's knitting, what a great example and a great reassurance that one can knit till at least 95. She's not knitting plain things either, some of these look complicated, like the chicken coming out of the egg, how good is that. Could you convey a fellow knitter's greetings and admiration to her please?
      I love your background black and white stars to the whole blog, it does look festive. I'm not sure how you did that but I could find out - and pink for the comments, that's clever.
      I always love your paintings, my favourite this time is the Correas but I also love the acrylic afterwards too.
      The fires sound very scary, I hope all is well for you.
      Thanks for a great post from the sunny side of the Earth.

      Delete
    3. 🎄Hi Sheila, lol, yes its a big post ;D) and thanks for reading through it xx
      Mum will be thrilled when she sees everyones' responses and, yes, most certainly I shall convey your special greetings to her.
      Ok, to change the background is easy and I'll list here how I did it (succinct is not in my nature, so bear-with lol):
      Its all done within Blogger. Click on Design (at the top of your blog page), click on Theme, scroll down a little, Click on Customize, which will bring up Themes, Click on Background then click on the down arrow and browse through all the choices... the one I'm using is within Patterns, Click on your choice and be sure to hit Done.
      To give a pink background, go through the above until you get to Themes and this time click on Advanced, scroll down through that until you see Post Background and choose the colour you would like. Same for borders etc.
      Hope that helps Sheila - the variations are endless. Hugs xx 🎄

      Delete
  7. Same here in California with the wildfires. Stay safe, Sue! That is such a beautiful cake and so perfect, I LOVE it! Happy Birthday to your mum! What a wonderful lady! Gorgeous garden photos and beautiful paintings. It is always lovely visiting you :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Oh yes, those terrible fires in California. We see them on our tv and feel along with all you folk. Its a fact of life thats all too real isn't it. Thanks for your kind thoughts Soma, and its lovely having you visit :D) 🎄

      Delete
  8. Querida Sue, feliz diciembre para ti y tu familia. Muchas felicidades para tu madre, teje muy bonito, me ha encantado. Siento mucho lo de los incendios, oí decir que la lluvia los apagó bastante ( espero que siga lloviendo ) Preciosas todas tus pinturas, las guindas se ven muy buenas. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: "Dear Sue, happy December to you and your family. Congratulations to your mother, knit very beautiful, I loved it. I am very sorry about the fires, I heard that the rain extinguished them a lot (I hope it continues to rain) Beautiful all your paintings, the cherries look very good. A hug."

      🎄Thanks so kindly Teresa for your kind thoughts. I shall tell Mum what you said xx
      We are still receiving some rain, its been on and off for a few days now and is certainly helping to quieten down some of the fires for sure.
      I really appreciate your visit, thank you :D) 🎄

      Delete
  9. Hello dear Sue 😃
    I'm just thrilled about your post. It's full of wonders. Most I've impressed by your Mom's lovely knittings,and doing them at her high age. My related congrats to her ❤️🌹. Your art is super beautiful. Thank you for sharing all the wonders on this lovely blog 🧡
    Happy December to you and yours 💝🧛🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄 Thanks so much Sirkkis, that's lovely to know what you thought of my post and, most especially, Mum's knitting - she's so accomplished in many crafts over the years and knitting is a daily joy for her now. I'll certainly let her know what you said.
      I also appreciate your thoughts about my art... many thanks. Cheers and you enjoy your December too xx 🎄

      Delete
  10. It is so good to see Froggie again! Your blog is looking great, Sue. I have wanted to change mine up a bit, but can't decide yet, so I'll leave it be for now.

    Your strawberries and cherries look very good, hubby is doing a great job! I used to stand under a neighbor's cherry tree as a kid and reach up to eat the cherries. What a treat that was!

    Happy Birthday to your mom. My mom turned 93 in July and she also continues to knit. I like your mom's collection of cute animals and hats. The new baby will really look sweet in the hats.

    I'm sorry to hear about your brush fires, and I know the firemen are doing their best to take care of you all. They do such a good job, and they do more than put out fires. They are special folks. I hope the fires don't get so close that you have to evacuate.

    I have enjoyed this post, and your plantings are so pretty. I have not heard of Epis, they are beautiful flowers, are they on succulent foliage? I hope you have a wonderful December, and lots of strawberries to eat (my favorite fruit). Take care Sue, hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Hi there Suzanne, lovely to see you! Heh, heh, yes Froggie has been missing hasn't he - must give him a special role in 2020! He said to tell you thanks for the mention ;D)
      Cherries straight off the tree - practically nothing better - perhaps strawberries? Summer fruits have that special zing don't they!
      Thanks for your lovely thoughts about Mum... and, yes, I remember what a busy lady your Mom is too - they're certainly inspirations aren't they. Tell her I said Hi... I remember how she too loved the frogs in her garden ;D)
      I appreciate your thoughts re the fires, yes... each day as it comes, everyone at some stage or another knows what its like don't they. The folk who go and fight them - are amazing all right.
      Yes, the Epis are on flat strappy leaves which I think are beautiful in their own right, I keep a pot of them outside under our verandah,,, not enough light to flower but just to enjoy the shape and length of their leaves.
      Cheerio, keep enjoying those times with Scootie and thanks for popping in xx🎄

      Delete
  11. very interesting post! I love the flowers: photos and paintings. And that is one lovely knitting inspired cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Thanks very much June :D)
      That cake certainly caused lots of admiration... Skye is pretty shy about her efforts too xx🎄

      Delete
  12. Congrats to our mom on turning 95 and still knitting. That is a fantastic cake too. Lovely art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Much appreciated, thanks Christine... yes, she's created so many things, blankets and throws and even little jackets for penquins who've been recovered from oil-slicks (to stop them preening their feathers temporarily) xx🎄

      Delete
  13. Your creativity is a joy to see in your festive header and background pattern, message photos and all your beautiful paintings. I'm glad to hear that you are safe and I hope the wildfires continue to be contained with the help of the brave firefighters. It's good know that your Mum is doing well, had a lovely 95th birthday and loves doing her knitting for others. They benefit from her talent. Also good to see the flowers that your family grow. The plants are interesting and the flowers very pretty. Love from Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Hi Linda and thanks so much for your lovely thoughts.
      Yes, all going well and the smoke is even down to a minimum too. Wish it were the same north, north-west of us and for our neighbouring states. I reckon we're very lucky.
      Mum is certainly making the most of her abilities and she gardens as well in the little area just outside her room - it flourishes xx🎄

      Delete
  14. How kind of you to write these instructions and I'll save them.
    I like your festive header too.
    Have a great week, Sue, in sunny land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄No worries Sheila, you're more than welcome :D) Thanks, and you enjoy your week as well albeit it in warm woollies ;D) xx🎄

      Delete
  15. Your post is so amazing and lovely!
    Very happy birthday to your mom, she is a wonderful mom with all of her activities at her age. I thought the birthday cake was a real yarn. Fun-tastic cake!
    Love your paintings and all of those artworks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Thanks Evi, so kind.
      Keeping active is always important to Mum and, yes, the birthday cake is realistic all right!! Appreciate y our visit xx🎄

      Delete
  16. Love your little correas card. The cake is amazing and it is great to see your mum still knitting. It must be very scary living so near to fires, hope they are out by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Thanks very much Lin, nice of you to say. Its lovely of you to drop by and, well, not so much scary - I guess we do get used to fires happening around our general area (as a Councillor told our community meeting last week "if you people choose to live in these areas... you've got to expect this sort of thing"!!!! He was one of those pompous 'officials' who took umbrage to a simple, practical, question from a local - I shall call him a prigg ;D))
      The Firefighters are doing a great job in containing them. Cheers now xx🎄

      Delete
  17. What a happy post! All the photos are wonderful and the talent behind the gifts and cake are wonderful to see!



    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄 Hi Betty and thanks so much for your lovely comment :D) xx🎄

      Delete
  18. your brushes sure have been busy sue, your artwork is especially lovely this go around!! your mom is 95, wow, and a woman after my own heart, a knitter, her work is beautiful!!

    mom's birthday cake is extraordinary, someone is very talented!!

    the garden looks amazing, green thumbs all the way around!! i'll bet those cherries are juicy and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄 So lovely of you Debbie, thank you :D)
      Yes, a fellow-knitter who, like yourself, can turn her hand to anything. If there's no pattern she makes it up!
      One of our Nieces made Mum's birthday cake... she's been making cakes for years and never fails to delight.
      Yes, those cherries are yummy and without a blemish this year... it must have been the perfect climate for cherries to excel- oh, and of course Hubby's vigilant looking after them too :D) xx 🎄

      Delete
    2. i like the new, jazzy background!! i forgot to mention it last time!!

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much Debbie, lovely of you to say xx

      Delete
  19. Hi Sue great post wow your mum is a very clever lady,love her knitting and boy the handmade design's you made on the wrapping paper are stunning ,well worth the effort and how sweet that your mum is keeping them too,what a clever family you all are,hope your day is a good one my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Thanks very much Shez, yes, Mum's so versatile and will make her own patterns up if she can't find what she wants.
      Thanks too re the wrapping paper - I loved doing that so much I've created lots of designs for family gifts... its a different kind of painting - so free and fun!
      Appreciate your lovely thoughts, you too - have a great day xx🎄

      Delete
  20. Oh wow Sue, all the brushfires that you have been having - I have read about that and saw a video on a weather channel i watch. I feel for you - that knowing that at any time you can be evacuated. We are out of fire season right now but a snow cyclone hit (that's what they called it) and are dealing with loss of power and major clean up in our area. anyway wow, love what you made for your mother - ...beautiful gift wrap, etc... she must have been thrilled and I'm glad you added the photo of your mum and her knitting. Loved seeing the plants and have always loved nasturtians once I found out what they were (growing along the side of freeways).... anyway, I'll keep checking back to see what you have added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Thanks Sandy, I really appreciate your kind thoughts. Its ok, things are good. Like you, where you live, there's always natural events that crop up aren't there. Your snow cyclone sounded like one out of the box! Being without power - in those low temperatures would be a pain indeed. Hope all is ok over there for you now.
      Mother Nature is throwing heaps of stuff at all us earthlings isn't she ;D)
      Great to have you visit and thanks for your comments. Cheerio for now xx
      🎄

      Delete
  21. Sue be sure and wish your mom a belated Happy Birthday. 95 and still doing lovely amazing work. The cake was awesome...what a creation in itself. Your flower paintings and card are just wonderful. Loved seeing your exotic flowers as well as those strawberry plants and cherries. Hope you enjoy your sushi too. Have a delightful day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄I certainly shall thanks Debbie :D)
      Thanks for visiting and leaving your message... the sushi was really enjoyable, yes! I pretend I can use chopsticks and love to eat each piece (can feel another sushi-treat coming on ;D)). Cheers now xx 🎄

      Delete
  22. oh i like the banner by the way. And of course your art! you inspired me to go and see if i can find a photo for my banner for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄... thanks Sandy! Must pop over and see what you found. Always lovely seeing you here xx 🎄

      Delete
  23. A very beautiful post with GORGEOUS art and photos!
    Happy Birthday to Mom... congratulations!!!
    Loved her photo and all of the lovely things that she creates!
    I am so sorry to hear about the fires.

    Love your header...Happy Holidays 🎄🎅❄☃❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Hi Jan, thanks for dropping by :D)
      Appreciate your comments and will tell Mum Happy Birthday from you too, many thanks.
      Enjoy your break and all the best xx🎄

      Delete
  24. Wow! You've been busy, Sue! And your mum is amazing for any age! I've fallen in love with the Epis! I'll have to find out more about them. I wonder if they would grow here...You did a great job on your florals - very pretty! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎄Hi there Candy, thanks... lol, yes, making it a monthly post I had a few things to say - appreciate you visiting.
      The epis are lovely indeed and they will happily grow in a sheltered spot with dappled sunlight. Under shadecloth and huddled amongst other plants, they tolerate our mild frosts so they're not too fragile.
      Cheers and enjoy the week ahead :D) xx🎄

      Delete
  25. Wonderful family you have Sue.... fun and gifted with so much talents too:) Credit to your mum and she certainly deserved a wonderful 95th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very kindly Annie. Yes, Mum most certainly enjoyed her birthday - we are lucky she has lived for this length of time xx 🎄

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx