Sunday, January 6, 2019

What a Stinker!!

Hello!

Well, Friday just gone was one out of the box weather-wise. 

Here, in our South East corner of Gippsland (Victoria, Australia), we copped a share of those hot northerlies which blew heat from central Australia.  Our  stinker of a day peaked at 43degC (109.4F).

We were pretty lucky really because those poor folk who live in the centre of Australia (Alice Springs) have endured temperatures exceeding 40degC every day since Christmas Day, including 9 consecutive days above 43degC!

So I'm not really complaining because we had just that one hot day and then woke up to cooling rain.

The reason for my post is to share how distressing even one day of that high a temperature can be for wildlife... in our case, the King Parrots. 

I checked the waterbowl fairly early in the day and saw they had gathered and a couple were showing signs of heat discomfort already:


Topped it up with ice cubes and had a look out a few minutes later and a Wattlebird had just flown in for a drink...

Wattlebirds don't like sharing... so Hubby quickly decided it was time for more bowls of water to avoid fights, so he found these:
aww, our hearts went out to her
Every so often, we'd gently hose them and they just stayed where they were and thoroughly enjoyed the shower. 
Some though, seemed confused and would fly off - but not too far away, they came back as soon as we went inside.
We also showered the trees and shrubs around the pond where a lot of other birds could be heard... they'd kind of rustle around and fly up into the spray.


I took most of these photos through the window so as to not distress them any further.


A bit of humour throughout the day though... seems sit/standing on the plastic chair was the prized position.  Hunching backwards, tail up allowed a bit better cooling to the nether regions!  Clever birds :D)

As a bynote, underneath the oval china dish (in the second photo down) is where a little frog has lived for ages.   I did a quick check and he/she was still there, bearing the heat bravely.

Here's a photo I'd happened to take earlier last week.

   
It's funny, since it's been cooler, a Blackbird has been singing its heart out all day yesterday and today.  We both noticed that its more than usual.  Seems as though it's so relieved that the heat has gone! 

Cheers now and stay cool (or warm for the Northern Hemisphere blogfriends ;D)), Sue xx


62 comments:

  1. Hi Sue what a wonderful post ,it sure was hot on Friday and then we dropped back to 19 degs the next day,lol,crazy weather.
    Love the pretty birds that come to visit you and what a wonderful idea to have the water bowls,we didnt think of that so we will do it next time we have a really hot day,hope you have a wonderful day my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really was such a crazy short turnaround! When we heard the rain it was so welcome wasn't it. I saw the news that it dropped 10 degrees within 10 minutes in Melbourne!
      I thought the birds would all be ok as we have a fish pond and a few barrels around the yard that catch rainwater but they preferred sitting on the verandah ... I guess it was just too hot to go out in the sun to get to them!
      Cheers and we'll enjoy these mild summer days at the moment eh :D)

      Delete
  2. Oh boy it certainly was hot - and then as Sheryl mentioned so much cooler on Saturday. Colder to the extent of wind cheater and tracky dacks when the rain passed through.
    I'm sure your resident birdlife thanked you for your efforts - I didn't notice any around at all (probably hiding in the shade). No magpies trying to cool off in the dust either. I do have containers for water dotted around the garden under bushes. Not sure if they were used or if it evaporated but they were empty this morning.
    "Keep up the good work Sue - we need more like you"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Cathy, our cool change didn't come through as quickly as over yours and Sheryl's way, it was throughout the night it dropped slowly, but in the morning we too had to rug up! It's the weirdest day we've ever spent.
      Reckon you're right about the other birds, they probably all hunkered down in a shady spot under trees etc.
      I'm sure your containers would have been gratefully used Cathy... cheers now :D)

      Delete
  3. A lovely read this morning Sue, I can believe how those hot days can take it out on our wildlife as much as it can us. So kind of you to help them all out by replenishing the supplies, i'm sure the blackbird is singing your praises and letting other birds know far and wide that your home welcomes them all. Marvellous.
    Sunday Hugs & Creativity Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tracey, everyone does their bit don't they for wildlife around them - we were quite amazed at how quickly they became so stressed.

      Delete
  4. Glad you all survived the big heat, and that you looked after the birds so well, they really do look distressed, poor things. Thanks for sharing the photos. Great that you found time to give them cooling drinks and showers. I'm happy for you that it has cooled off a bit now. Take care of yourself, too! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, and thanks. I guess we all have to get used to these "quirks" of weather be it heat or cold.
      Appreciate your thoughts too :D)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful that you too care of the birds! They look so beautfiul!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks very much Susi, yes they're very beautiful and have always been so friendly... I think the whole neighbourhood welcomes them to their homes :D)

      Delete
  6. How very kind of you to take care of the birds on the hot day!
    Heat can be as distressing as arctic cold is. On such days,we need to take care not only of ourselves, but also of the plants and animals surrounding us.
    The photos in your post are awsome , as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our hearts went out to them and it was only by accident I happened to remember to check on the bowl on the verandah that I saw them early in the day. We had our curtains closed and the air conditioner on so might not have heard them otherwise.
      It was really an eye-opener at how vulnerable they all can be.
      Thank you kindly Duta :D)

      Delete
  7. They all look quite at home don't they. We don't get as hot as you but know our birds like it when we put the misters on in the trees. It's lovely to sit out there and watch them flitter around. Ours are only small though, we don't get many big birds here. And so much cooler under the trees with the misters than inside. It's good to read that so many people are helping with water for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb, lovely to see you - glad we've caught up again.
      I can imagine how lovely the misters in the trees must be. We experienced them in an outside mall in Mildura for a Summer and it was such a good idea. In the trees it would be excellent for the birds and humans! :D)

      Delete
  8. Hello dear Sue!
    Great captures of those beautiful birds and the cute frog!!
    So nice of you taking care the birds with all that heat!
    Today i did the opposite,i put some seeds for the birds,in the yard,because a snow storm is reaching in Athens,
    It’s very cold and we had frost in the morning. Thank you for sharing!
    Wishing you a lovely new week! Hugs!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dimi! Oh gosh, how lovely of you - I bet your birds will enjoy their seeds to help them during the snow storm. We certainly are experiencing diverse weather aren't we. Stay warm :D)

      Delete
  9. Por aquí hace bastante frío, pero durante el día hace sol y se está muy bien. Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: "It's quite cold here, but during the day it's sunny and it's very good. Little kisses."

      Hi Teresa, thanks for popping in - your weather sounds rather nice at the moment! :D)

      Delete
  10. Those colorful birds really got me! How lovely to have them on your porch and watch them, through the window. How sweet of you to take such good care of them. The heat must be distressing - 43 C sounds unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving your comment too Carola. We were glad they came so we could help them. Yes, it was awfully distressing for them but these past couple of days they've dropped in for some seed treats and all seem to be ok thank goodness.
      We were so lucky we had air conditioning so were fine, thanks :D)

      Delete
  11. wow so sorry the wildlife is being impacted by the sweltering temperatures. I won't complain about our winter temperatures right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really unusually hot day all right. Boy, that cool change was welcome... I felt for the folk (and wildlife) who live in central Australia - they're still baking.
      We got the usual idiots who purposely lit fires (not in our town, but only 20 minutes away) but our wonderful fire crews are keeping them under control.
      Thanks for your visit too :D)

      Delete
  12. There has been tremendous heat! How do animals survive? Great help for birds drink and baths. HAve a nice week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne. Yes, we wondered about many other animals... of their fate. Have to hope for the best and everyone leaves water out for many types of animals all over Australia. It all helps :D)

      Delete
  13. I knew from reading the internet that parts of Australia was sizzling and 109 well that's pretty darn hot too. I sure wish I lived somewhere that parrots could come fly in and visit!! Loved seeing the photos of these pretty birds. Glad for you and them that it cooled off after a day of the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh yes Sandy it is ... just too hot and it impacted such large parts of our country.
      I didn't mention in my post, but my hubby keeps bees and in the late afternoon when I was watering again I noticed lots of them all gathered around the water trays on the verandah and drinking away. They had other sources of water but I think the sun's rays were hitting those spots by late afternoon.
      We were very lucky to only have had one day of heat. It's reverted to the usual warmth in Summer these past few days and more rain is expected tomorrow.
      Cheers and thanks for visiting :D) ... must go and check your daily sketches now

      Delete
  14. He keeps bees - I would love to meander around your yard - amongst the flowers, parrots and bees and who knows what else. Sounds so great and i love when you show the photos you do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Sue - that is terribly warm. I can't imagine that much heat. I know if we reach 100 degrees during the summer that is way too hot for me. Loved seeing your gorgeous birds. To think you live in such a lovely spot that you can see parrots come to your drinking bowls is so amazing. Hope your new year is off to a great start. I will see if I can send you a bit cooler weather from over here :)! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Debbie, yes, so glad it was only that day - I'd have sooked big time!!
      (a little bit of your coolth would be lovely... would keep it tucked away and bring it out when needed). cheers now :D)

      Delete
  16. 109, WoW!!! that is too hot for me. how nice of you to look after the little critters that are struggling with the heat as well!! a lot of people forget about how important the water is for birds, for both drinking and bathing. the parents are so beautiful, you are lucky to have them visit your yard!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are so very lucky having these beautiful creatures visit out yard and were really glad they let us know their distress too.
      thanks for your thoughts :D)

      Delete
  17. Goodness me! Your temperatures are just ridiculous!
    I've not experienced anything above 90 and I was complaining at that!
    Well done for giving the birds plenty of water.

    I really do hope the weather cools for you very soon.
    My good wishes,

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'ridiculous' is the word for it Jan! yes, it did, those temps dropped overnight and then we woke to the sound, feel and smell of beautiful cooling rain! I wished that lots of others could have experienced that too! thanks for your lovely wishes :D)

      Delete
  18. You poor things. I've been feeling guilty because we've only had one or two hot days this summer here in Maleny. Mind you we're often 3 deg cooler than down on the coast anyway. My sister stayed with me over Christmas and I had to lend her a jacket because it was so cool at night. Lots of creeks here so the birds are probably okay although I do also have a bird bath I keep topped up. I don't understand people who leave animals and children in hot cars either. Too stupid to be allowed to have them. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandy, it was only that one day - we're really fortunate down here in the south east in that we mostly have a temperate climate. I guess then it's when an extreme day hits it kind of makes us all 'wilt' :D) Enjoy your lovely weather too. Your birds sound really well catered for too!
      Yep, it was so bad to read in the news about the hot cars with children and animals - certainly gets our dander up as well.

      Delete
  19. We had it hot but not that hot thank goodness.

    Sorry I have just discovered that my comments have been getting lost in ether for the past couple of days, that is why I may have been quiet on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan - all good now, we've been fortunate enough to be enjoying a really mild week. The parrots dropped back this morning for a quick visit while we were having our morning coffee :D)
      Cheers

      Delete
  20. Hello Sue ☺
    Amazingly hot there 😓 I hope it will cool down soon. I wonder how cute birds come so near people!
    Really nice too see them closely.
    Thanks for sharing your super photos,
    hugs 🌼🐦💕
    Sirkkis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sirkkis, yes thanks for us anyway it has certainly cooled down.
      It's always lovely to have the birds visit and to come to us when they needed help was good to be able to help.
      Glad you enjoyed the photos too :D)

      Delete
  21. What beautiful birds. I'm so glad you were looking out for them with the extreme weather.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year Sue, wow I would love to have some of the heat and those birds are fabulous. Many years ago we were in Australia and I couldn't believe seeing all the wild parrots in some of the parks.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we'd happily share some of the heat Diane :D)
      yes, there are so many varieties of parrots in Australia, and the King Parrots (as shown in my above photos) have such a friendly nature

      Delete
  23. Really marvellous, Sue, how you are looking out for the birds in the heat. I loved the photo of the rows of water trays and the parrot arranging himself on the seat to ventilate his feathers. We have the opposite kind of weather here, cold at night and chilly during the day. Did you know that we also have to keep the bird bath topped up, not just for drinking, but also because the birds love to have a (cold) bath to keep them warm, it does something good to their feathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, glad you enjoyed the photos - our hearts went out to them for sure. lol, that parrot claimed the chair for most of the day so he could sit like that :D)
      The birds must certainly love to bathe... as you say, even in the cold weather, perhaps it stimulates their oil glands?
      Cheers and stay warm, lovely to see you

      Delete
  24. It certainly was a shocker! Thank goodness, it was short-lived.

    It's horrible seeing the wildlife suffering from heat stress. Your local birds would have greatly appreciated the shade and water. Hugs! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Vicki, saw that it's revving up again this week ..... nooooooo ;D)

      Delete
  25. They are beautiful! Good for you for not bothering them outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jenn - it's beaut sharing our love of wildlife amongst blog-land dwellers isn't it :D)

      Delete
  26. Oh no, so sad the birds were suffering but you gave them some water and cooling and then got to watch them. That is so neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Cindy... they're all happy as now - they drop in just occasionally for a little seed but never have they stayed as long as that shocker of a day! :D)

      Delete
  27. You are a true lover of wildlife to take care of the birds like this. I can't imagine it getting as hot as that here. I can hardly take the 90 degree heat and humidity in the summer here. After seeing those poor birds I feel a bit of a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, it was so good to help them... thank goodness I thought to check first thing!
      perhaps your humidity is worse than ours, I think that always makes the heat so horrible to take...
      thanks for popping in :D)

      Delete
  28. Yes you have been getting some very hot days. We have been getting the usual 30+°C heat everyday with humidity thrown in. But I still like it better than cold winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're of much hardier stock than I Diane :D) ... I don't envy you the humidity either. I kind of endure Summer and try to keep the 'sooking' down as much as possible, but love all the other seasons. Thanks for visiting... Cheers!

      Delete
  29. Oh, you are so kind to help out these beautiful feathered friends in their time of need! That is certainly hot and must be so uncomfortable. I lived in Tuscon, Arizona in the middle of the desert for two years when we were newlyweds, and it would get that hot and stay hot from April until October. I think that was when I became a 'night-owl', because it would only cool off at night. I sympathize! Glad to hear you are getting cooler temps now. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kindly Karen!
      You're certainly speaking from experience ;D) Bet you had some special sunsets where you used to live... hot days seem to love a final burst of colour for some reason. Lovely to have you visit

      Delete
  30. I miss those birds from my travels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they love to interact with humans, I'm glad you got to meet these ones too on your travels Monica :D)

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx