Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Random things around home

Hello!

Popping back again 😊

We are waking up to misty, frosty mornings which then become lovely days:


A few different plants in the window box outside the kitchen:


Our home-made birdstrike prevention set-up.
Much prettier than what was on offer online!  Best of all it works... not one birdstrike has happened since blu-tacking the fans in position!


Dear little sweeties which we can see from the verandah:


... they love a mid-day plunge in this bowl:


It's been a busy 2 months for hubby.  Digging, digging, two tree removals and then digging and cleaning up.  The 'joys' of having an old fashioned septic tank system.  The drainage trenching failed and so he set out to save us thousands of dollars by slowly sorting it out himself. 


... It was a job well done and over with for sure!

Not a lot I could do to help, except to keep morning and afternoon tea snacks coming:

Cinnamon Apple Cupcakes:

Jam Drops:

Date Scones:

...served with lashings of butter!


Nasturtiums are a favourite flower, and I read recently the chooks love to eat their seeds. 
So I didn't need much more incentive than that to plant some more.  Here's the latest:




Succulents always hold pride of place at our place. 
These are some of the many my dear sister has given me and I snap pieces off and grow them in lots of different containers: 

 ♡ I hope life is good for you and yours ♡


60 comments:

  1. So very nice to see you in blogland again Sue...welcome back!you sure we're baking up a storm and it all looks delicious!!!
    Love all of your gorgeous plants and succulents.
    That was a great idea on your window and it looks pretty, too!
    Tell hubby "good job...well done"...he sure worked hard and earned those treats!!!

    Hugs ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, thanks for your visit.
      The fans on the window do work a treat - not one bird has hit the window since. It was a really bad problem and we kept the curtains half closed but soon got sick of that!
      I have told hubby, and it was appreciated. Cheers! xx

      Delete
  2. Great to see you around again and read your news. You seem to be busy all day and every day. Your husband did a good job with all that digging, and deserved his treats! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie and beaut to see you.
      It's really nice to be busy on our own account these days - so many days years back on rushing out to work, a necessity of course as it is for most of us, but retirement is lovely too.
      I worried about the huge job he set himself but he paced himself. Bye for now xx

      Delete
  3. That's a wonderful view to wake up to! I quite like misty mornings that then turn into fine days. It sounds as if your husband has been very busy and you too with your baking. Everything looks delicious. It's good to see all your plants in small containers on the window sill and garden ledges. The little birds need the water and seeds and you have sweet photos of them that I've enjoyed seeing. Have a good week!, Linda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that you enjoyed all the bits and pieces around our place Linda. I really love to potter around with those small plants which are so tough and forgiving. Enjoy your week too, all the best :D) xx

      Delete
  4. What a clever idea with the fans. Mmmm I love your baking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life looks great at your place Sue! Brilliant idea for the fans. I've just had a deck extension built and now I feel like I'm in the trees sometimes and really enjoy watching the birds. I'm obsessed with the small birds like the thornbills, what cheeky, speedy little things they are and so very difficult to focus on. I envy your cooking talent, I'd eat everything myself, absolutely no discipline I'm afraid. For the first time, I'm having success with nasturiums {also a favourite of mine}; they are huge and seem to be taking over the garden and will overtake the weeds! Spring is nearly here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy, your new deck sounds brilliant... what a great feeling when you're out enjoying it. Oh those sweet little birds are adorable aren't they. I always marvel at how quick and alert they are and their teeny tiny little spindly legs really get to me!
      I've been known to 'sample' a fair bit of my own cooking lol!
      Enjoy your nasturtiums too :D) cheers now xx

      Delete
  6. Lots of lovely pictures Sue, I love your use of the fans, great idea. We too have a fosse septique and had a problem some years ago. Fortunately after quite a bit of digging Philip managed to put it right and fingers crossed it has been working perfectly every since. Ours drains out under and enormous fig tree! Lots of yummy treats there for the worker. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lin and Hi!
      Oh the digging required is enormous isn't it - pat on the backs to our men and, yes, will keep fingers crossed for yours too ;D)
      Lovely to see you, will catch you soon xx

      Delete
  7. Muy bonito todo. Los dulces se ven riquísimos. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: "Everything very beautiful. The sweets look delicious. A kiss.

      Thank you so kindly Teresa, always lovely to read your comments :D) xx

      Delete
  8. Your baking looks so delicious and the garden is lovely, nice to see what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Christine, thanks for your lovely comments :D) xx

      Delete
  9. Hi Sue! So good to see you here, and everything looks so great out your way. What a job MD had with the drainage trench, and a good job! Your pastries look so delicious, especially the cinnamon apple cupcakes...I love apple cinnamon anyway it's fixed! What a great idea you have for 'birdstrike prevention'. I never thought of that, and we have a few birdstrike accidents from time to time.

    Looks as though you have been really busy. Your succulents and plantings are so fresh and lovely! Hope you are doing well, I suppose you're about to have a spring time soon. We are finally getting some rain these past few days. The creek down from us was bone dry, and is now finally running with ducks coming back. Love your post, Sue! Take care, sending hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really beaut to see you Suzanne, Hi there!
      Oh it was such a good job, yes indeed.
      Thanks, I just poked fresh apple slices into the tops of the cinnamon cupcakes before baking and they came out with a lovely texture, they surprised me how tasty they were!
      We were very upset with one particular birdstrike and are thrilled to have had a complete success. I felt fans looked so much better than strips of stuff as recommended!!
      Yes, we're looking forward to Spring. With all the variable and crazy weather this year the garden really isn't sure what the season is I think. Our Loquat tree is setting fruit for the third time!! That doesn't happen until end of October.
      Glad your creek is starting to run again. I remember seeing your video of it a while back and it was a fast running stream.
      All the best and I hope life is great for you. Cheers now :D) xx

      Delete
  10. Lovely see you lovely pictures Sue! Have a nice new day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Anne. Beaut to see you :D) xx

      Delete
  11. Wonderful pictures and post Sue. Your yard looks lovely.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Sue - what a lovely newsy post.
    I really enjoyed reading it and seeing your photographs.
    Your hubby did so well, and I love the goodies you made for him!
    Enjoy your days, as our summer is coming to an end … so your winter must be too and Spring is around the corner … well I hope so, the weather worldwide seems a little mixed up this year!

    Take care, my good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, and welcome! Thanks for your lovely comments.
      Yes, I'm really looking forward to Spring, but keep telling myself not to wish away the present moment, lol even if it is a bit chilly, it goes too darn fast the older we get! I appreciate your thoughts about the weather worldwide too - our garden is definitely a bit out of kilter :D) xx

      Delete
  13. Your pictures of the plants, the pastries, the bitds - are awsome!
    The fans as preventive birdstrike measure - a great tip!
    And above all, the misty morning in the header predicting a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Duta for all your thoughts - your visits are always so nice :D) xx

      Delete
  14. i enjoyed my catch up here - loved your yummy looking snacks and we, at our old house, way back in the 80's had to replace the leech lines, etc. of our septic tank - quite a job. Glad it's done for him and he can get back to eating treats and enjoying the yard without septic issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Sandy and thanks for that.
      Oh yes quite a job - so much work! We are hoping it will be set up now for many years... it's one of those houseowning things that isn't pleasant!!
      Cheers and thanks for visiting :D) xx

      Delete
  15. Hello Sue, so good to see you in Blogland again, we miss a Blogfriend when she goes missing.
    Your husband is made of sterling stuff, that didn't sound like a very nice job and great that it is now complete. Good that you helped him with home-baking, especially these mega-yummy scones with butter. You seem to have a rather large garden.
    I'm very impressed by your bird strike prevention. We have a few butterfly transfers on the windows which isn't very scenic but seems to work so that's fine. I love your little bird bathing in the small bowl and so I went out to our garden and gave the birds another bowl to bathe in. They love the bird bath we have already but sometimes there is a queue or a bird bully (usually the blackbird or a greenfinch) hogs the water, so we'll see if they use the second one. It's not as pretty as your bowl.
    Thanks for another happy picture-friendly post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sheila, beaut to see you again. I'm not a reliable blogger am I by any means!! However, I go at my own pace and it's always lovely to catch up with everyone again. It's such an enjoyable way to share the nicer side of life... I hope Blogger allows us to keep on for years to come :D)

      Interesting that your butterfly transfers work on the windows, I appreciate you telling me... the fans may need a rest one day ;D)

      I really chuckled when reading about your bird bathing queue... don't the blackbirds love a good scrub and wallow (as my dear hubby and I describe it) - they're the untidiest bathers! and, yes, they definitely hog the water, along with the wattlebirds here.
      I'm sure your bowl is every bit as appealing to the birds!

      Cheers and great to chat with you :D) xx

      Delete
    2. Hello Sue - just you blog when you want to, that seems to work out just fine and it's always good to see you pop up again. The birds haven't used our "new" birdbath yet but they are a conservative lot and they will probably try it eventually. Maybe they are waiting for a more scenic bowl.

      Delete
    3. aww, thanks so much Sheila :D) xx

      It may perhaps be that your 'new' birdbath bowl has to show it's not something frightening in the yard... same goes with our birdhouses, I'm thinking they've got to pass the 'birdie safety test' before being approached ;D)

      Delete
  16. Hello, your plants and flowers are lovely. The tea pot planter is cute. Pretty birds, I like your bird strike idea. I would like to try the cinnamon apple cupcakes, yum! Enjoy your day and the weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaut to see you Eileen! Thanks too for your lovely comments... lol, seeing those photos again has inspired me to do a bit of baking today... Have a great weekend too, cheers now :D) xx

      Delete
  17. Dear Sue I have been missing your lovely posts. Looks like you and hubby have been very busy. What a huge job digging up that septic system. Your baked goods look super...especially those jam cookies. Have a wonderful day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, thank you, you're very kind. I'm such a randomy kind of blogger but it takes all kinds eh! I love that you visited and left your welcome comments. Enjoy your weekend, :D) xx

      Delete

  18. Hi Sue, these cookies should be delicious.
    I loved the second image.
    Good weekend.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janicce. Yes, even if I say so myself they turned out ok! Have a very nice weekend too and it's lovely to see you again :D) xx

      Delete
  19. Boy I would love to be at your house for morning tea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. everything looks so fun and whimsical over at your place!! i would dig that trench if you would bake those treats for me!!

    your idea for the windows is brilliant, i have similar items on my windows but yours look better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, I'll tell hubby that next time some spade-work is needed Debbie ;D)

      I sometimes have a brainwave ....!!! ?? lol, thanks for popping in xx

      Delete
  21. Adore the eclectic nature of your window box plants, Sue.

    What a great idea about the fans. It's so awful when birds hit the windows. Clean windows are the worst.

    Love the photp of the spinebill talking to the cactus. :-)

    Awww... what a cutie thornbill.

    Hubby did an awesome job. He won't want to tackle that again for a while, I'm sure.

    Oh my goodness, those cupcakes, jam drops and date scones look delicious. I can almost smell them.

    Love your succulents -- they hold pride of place here, too. I'm always on teh look out for a different one.

    Have a lovely Sunday, Sue. It's a very blustery one here. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki!
      I'm thinking that 'clean' windows (in our house anyway) aren't the culprit... lol, no chance of that ;D) they still reflect when the sun is out though. We had a particularly awful bronzewing pigeon strike and that prompted action.
      I'll love to add some succulents to your collection... when we get together!
      It's still blowing over here - a bad month for wind (from many origins ;D))
      Cheers now xx

      Delete
  22. The artful flowers and your tremendous baking skills just make me want to be there to hang out! Hugs and Happy Saturday! RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them Ro - nice to have you visit.
      Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  23. Hi Sue, thanks for sharing all your lovely images. It all looks so fun and peaceful. Nice seeing you around again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Lovely to have you visit. Cheers :D) xx

      Delete
  24. Hello dear Sue!
    Great post and i can see you were very busy with your garden!
    Your pastries looks so yummy !Love the jam drops and the scones!
    Wonderful pictures of the cute birds! Wishing you a lovely day and a happy September! Hugs!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dimi, it's always lovely to see you've visited. I'm really sorry to have taken so long to reply to your comments which I really appreciate... we're now in October - oh my goodness, I'm being so lazy in my blog! I hope you are well and thank you for popping in xx

      Delete
  25. lovely birds in your garden. Great idea to place fans on the window for safety of the birds, and they are a fine decoration too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Monica... we are so happy the fans idea has reduced the number of birdstrikes, it's really distressing when we used to hear that thump against the window. So happy to have you visit, cheerio for now xx

      Delete
  26. Hello Sue, passing to give a hello ...
    Good week's continuation.
    And thank you for your presence there in the house.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in Janicce, always lovely to see you xx

      Delete
  27. So many goodies today. I love your new background. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so kindly Sharon... lol, glad you like the background, it's as far as I got! I must get back into blogging and see your latest news. Cheers xx

      Delete
  28. Hi Sue …
    Just stopping by to say hello, hope all is well.

    Enjoy your Spring, our trees are beginning to turn into their Autumnal shades.

    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely of you Jan, thank you... yes all is well. I start to blog but then lose procrastinate - same with my painting. Have been enjoying pottering in the garden over the last while. Lovely to see you :D) xx

      Delete
  29. High Sue - hope all is well with you! Begin to miss you! ♥♥♥♥
    Hope you are just too busy to post!

    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Susi. Yes, all is well - I'm just not a continual blogger but a blogger I shall always be. I really appreciate your visit, see you soon :D) xx

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx