Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Following the Bees...

Hello!

I do hope this finds everyone well and happy.

I'm sorry I missed your last post Jan of Welcome to My Thoughts blog.  I loved sharing with you over the past while.  I love your art and will enjoy visiting your silent blog, so I hope you see this.

Hubby keeps saying there's been no posts from me whenever he looks ... um, so I guess I better get myself into gear and do some!

Spring has surely sprung here in our neck of the woods. 
I've been enjoying following the bees and seeing what they get up to in our yard.
I got a real surprise when looking closely at the Pittosporum trees.  After years of having them, I'd never realised what pretty flowers they have and with such a delightful perfume.  Anyway, the bees obviously knew because they were in a feeding frenzy when I snapped some pics:





 ... and then there are our lavender pots.
I've had fun potting up new plants and the bees have really enjoyed each new flower as it opens.  They get a bit possessive and try to see me off with a few close "buzzes" but I told them quite firmly... my lavender - my rules...  which means I get to take photos in exchange for them getting lavender pollen!
So far the compromise seems to be working:
It always amazes me how much hard work goes into collecting pollen.
 



A final lavender pic:
... as can be seen in the background, the chooks aren't all that impressed with me snapping photos - it's food time for them, so I down camera and off into their yard.

Thanks kindly for visiting - see you at yours!  


54 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of spring & bees. Here both plants & bees have gone to winter dormant phase... But you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Riitta.
      It's lovely to feel the warmth in the day once more๐Ÿ˜Š we had an extra cold winter.

      Keep warm over there! All the best xx

      Delete
  2. Hello dear Sue !
    How wonderful to see your lovely flowers and busy bees! I admire all in your beautiful garden.
    Thank you for sharing the lovely photos and visit on my site ��
    Have a grea time ��



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sirkkis, I do love being in the garden each day, so happy you enjoyed the photos.
      cheerio for now xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see your spring photos. The tree with the gorgeous flowers is new to me. Have a great time, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Valerie and thankyou for your visit.
      That tree is a very common boundary hedge tree over here, so much so that I've never taken much notice of whether it flowers or not. It was only that I heard the bees in it. quite a surprise at the pretty flowers, I'm inspired to perhaps try painting them.
      Have a lovely weekend ๐Ÿ˜Šxx

      Delete
  4. What lovely blooms you have! I have some old dependable flowers blooming but am waiting for the seeds I planted to come up. I love the blooms on your tree, so pretty and so delicate looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty... it's fun waiting for seeds to come up isn't it.
      Really happy you enjoyed this :D) xx

      Delete
  5. Hello, your flowers are so pretty. I am sure the bees are happy there. Enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really appreciate your comments Eileen, thanks for visiting and good wishes always :D) xx

      Delete
  6. It's funny how we can have things in our gardens for years without noticing the flowers. It has happened to me several times. Pittosporum is a bit of a weed in our mountain garden but I have kept a couple of trees because I like their shape and their flowers but that is at the cost of pulling up seedlings that sprout up all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Joan! The Pittosporum has always been powering away in the background but I was quite delighted when I had a closer look! Thanks for your visit ... Cheers! :D)xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos Sue:) It's strange that you are speaking about spring as we are coming to our autumn season. Enjoy and have happy spring time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Annie, yes, I always think about how amazing that we can each be coming from a different season and meet in our blogs! Thank you, I'm really loving this Spring... your Autumn will bring beautiful colours to you. Bye for now :D) xx

      Delete
  8. Welcome spring on your side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely flowers...beautiful shades of purple, my favorite color. it's nice to see the bees, doing their thing, we need that!!! the chickens look like they have gotten big?!

    i am happy to see you today, i have missed you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, really happy to see you too...
      Yes the chickies are all grown up - must put in some photos soon. They are laying eggs so well we're thrilled.
      Glad you enjoyed the purpleness, it is a beautiful colour... that and all shades of it :D) xx

      Delete
  10. Hello Sue!
    Glad you're back!
    What beautiful flowers your Pittosporum has.
    Nice photos.
    How are your works going?
    Good week.

    Manuel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Manuel, lovely to see you, thank you... I'm not a constant blogger by any means but I do love this little world of blogging, it's so much kinder than the world that makes the news isn't it!
      The Pittosporum really surprised me and was quite a lesson in gardening - not to ignore the plainer type trees or plants because they too have hidden delights!!
      My works are going well - painting has been very slow but I am starting up again. Thank you for asking and you too enjoy your days :D) xx

      Delete
  11. Se ven lindas las flores y abejas. Me encanta verte. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: "The flowers and bees are pretty. I love to see you. A kiss."

      Thank you very much Teresa... I'm loving how the bees are enjoying the flowers. My hubby's orchard is blooming now and so the bees will have more work they can do.
      Cheers now and thanks for visiting :D) xx

      Delete
  12. Hello dear Sue!
    Glad you’re back again! Your lavender plant,has bloomed so beautifully!
    Busy bees in your beautiful garden! Pittosporum tree is just new to me!
    You can’t find it here,but the flowers are so pretty!
    I really enjoyed all your gorgeous pictures! Enjoy Spring time in my beloved Australia! Hugs!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you Dimi!
      Thank you, I'm enjoying that I've planted some lavender in pots. Our Daughter has grown it for years and it's beautiful. I hadn't realised just how much our bees would enjoy it too!
      Greetings from Australia to you! Sue :D)xx

      Delete
  13. Your pictures are amazing dear Sue!
    What a wonderful garden you have! Enjoy your spring!
    Big hugs,
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Susi, I'm so happy you enjoyed our garden - I love it more each day! Great to see you :D) xx

      Delete
  14. Thank you for the visit.I Love the bee photos
    Blessings, New follower Renee :-) https://myfaithisoverflowing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Renee, thank you for visiting. I loved your recipe and shall enjoy our visits :D)

      Delete
  15. I always love seeing and reading your posts …
    Your lavender plant, just blooms so beautifully, they really are good to see.

    As we go into Autumn so you go into Spring, they are my two most favourite seasons.

    Enjoy your Spring

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you Jan, thank you... and likewise :D)
      Those lavender "Avonview" were the cheapest in the shop, all the rest had been tinkered with to increase their marketability I guess so they had double the pricetag.
      Anyway, they're full of such vigour and keep producing gorgeous heads, am very happy we've got them.
      Cheers now and thanks for visiting :D) xx

      Delete
  16. Lovely to see you posting and what pretty photos you have taken. It makes me want to plant lavender next growing season. We are heading into our colder months and it's very nice to see your flowers and those very busy bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Denise.
      I hope you do plant some lavender - they kind of repay you again and again! Plus the bees adore them.
      Keep warm and lovely to catch up :D) xx

      Delete
  17. Great shots of the bees. Nurture them as there is a shortage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, oh yes, we will. Hubby keeps a keen eye on his bees. He had to remove a couple of trees earlier on this year so that's why we're replacing them with bee-friendly shrubs and trees. Another Grevillea is powering on at the moment!
      Cheers and lovely of you to visit, see you soon :D)xx

      Delete
  18. Hi Sue! What a lovely post! Your lavendar is very pretty...I plant it from time to time, and try to keep it going! It got so hot and muggy during this summer and I lost it to the dry heat. I see you are keeping the bees busy with your offerings of beautiful plants, and I love that gorgeous wall of plants and decor on your header photo.

    Hope you are doing well. We are trying to bring fall into our area, haha, with some much needed rain. It is a bit cooler for the last two days! Love seeing you here. I haven't blogged much, but do have one on my Rockabilly blog. I try to pop by and keep up though-so much to do these days! Take care, Sue-sending hugs to you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really lovely to see you Suzanne, thanks for dropping by. It's nice to read that you have lots to do and are keeping busy... I'm sure your dear Grandson is a part of all that busyness ;D)

      That wall of plants has been my latest project. Our old bus used to be parked there and, since it has gone, I've really enjoyed prettying up that section of the wall. It's easy light gardening and just the thing at the moment. Thanks for mentioning it.

      Must pop over and see your Rockabilly post, I'm not as quick as some, but I do get there ... great to catch up again, cheers and till later, Sue :D)xx

      Delete
  19. Such amazing images! Enjoy your Spring as I will be enjoying Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, glad you popped by.
      I shall definitely enjoy Spring, thank you ... all the plants are bursting to grow now!
      Autumn is special in its own way - all those gorgeous colours! Bye now :D) xx

      Delete
  20. Dear Sue been missing you. Love seeing your photos of those beautiful flowers as well as the bees. You are in spring and we are in fall. Both are lovely seasons. I will be enjoying your spring...hope you have a lovely one friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie, thanks for your comments... yes we're enjoying Spring however the past couple of days is seems to have advanced to Summer - quite warm nights even!
      Cheers and see you soon :D) xx

      Delete
  21. Those flowers are probably unobtrusive that you overlooked them because you have showier ones. But they really are beautiful. It sometimes pays to look closely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, yes that's exactly what happened - there was always something else that caught my eye and most definitely it pays to look closely.
      Cheers and thanks for popping in :D) xx

      Delete
  22. Hello Sue. Always good to see you whenever you post. I am very late getting here, you know how it is.
    I see you have had a blog-look revamp, very pretty and colourful, with a beautiful sunny header and joyful pattern in the background.
    As for the bees - gosh you are right, when they like a plant they seriously like a plant. Sometimes our bees just sit on a flower for a few hours, I think they get an overdose of goodness. The one they have loved best in our garden is the flowering golden marjoram. It's lovely to see your lavender flowering so well in your great climate, I'm afraid it can be a bit reclusive here although it does grow in some parts, sometime, although not for long.
    Thanks to your hubby for "encouraging" you to write another post for us.
    Maybe see you again soon?
    Love from Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, I have been playing around with blog backgrounds - it seemed a "Spring-type" feel to this current one, glad you like it!
      It's nice to know another plant that the bees enjoy - I shall look into getting some golden marjoram.
      Lovely to catch up Sheila, cheers now :D) xx
      A shame the lavender doesn't grow so well in your spot, I'm not sure how long ours will keep up its good work but so far so good... some nice rain overnight which always boosts growth eh!

      Delete
    2. I would love to know if your bees love the golden marjoram. Our bees went completely crazy for it.

      Delete
    3. Will definitely let you know if they do Sheila and thanks again for the tip - I always love hearing peoples' personal experiences about things like this.
      Have a lovely week :D)xx

      Delete
  23. Nice to see a new post by you! i love your lavendar and bee pics and the banner!

    Happy October to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Sandy! Appreciate your visit, enjoy your holiday by the sea... I'm envious ;D) xx

      Delete
  24. You don't seem to be afraid of getting stung by the bees. I have been stung by a bee several times in my life, and it hasn't been a pleasant experience. But they give us honey which is a big gift, so we have to accept the good and the bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Duta, no, I'm not afraid of the bees but don't linger near the direct entrance to their hive, that would be asking for trouble.
      It's very unpleasant indeed to be stung. A few years back my Hubby was stung next to his eye and it was bad, so we can sympathise with you.
      I've found that when they're busy gathering pollen they're more in glutton mode rather than attack mode ;D) Cheers and lovely to see you back again xx

      Delete
  25. Such beautiful photographs. xx

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx