Friday, March 3, 2017

Not so common in our garden ~ Happy PPF !

We once had a Common Heath plant in our frontyard garden, but sadly I planted it in the wrong spot.

Australian native plants are notoriously hard to be re-located.  They dig in their little  heels roots, hang on for dear life and utterly refuse ... if forced, they almost always give up entirely.
Such was the case for our dear little pink heath.

Inspired by this pretty little plant, I painted this card last year and enter it into this week's Paint Party Friday:
"Pretty Heath - not as common as some"

Watercolour and inkpen on 300gsm paper
With background added digitally using Gimp and sourced, with thanks, from:
http://shadowhousecreations.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Textures
(I'm sorry, I didn't take any process shots of this one)

Strangely, for me, I'd only taken two photos of the heath in our garden... here's the better of the two:



As a little by-the-way, the Pink Heath is our State's (Victoria) Floral Emblem.   It was proclaimed as such in 1958 and Victoria was the first Australian State to give official recognition to such an emblem.

I always love to see our beautiful country's flora and fauna depicted on stamps and often keep them as inspiration for future paintings.

Here's a couple of  Pink Heath depicted on stamps that I found online:

Source: https://www.anbg.gov.au/emblems/vic.emblem.html
Designer: not known


Source: https://www.anbg.gov.au/stamps/stamp-epacris-impressa-2014.html
Designer: Jo Mure, Australia Post Design Studio 

I love how inspiration can bounce around between our blogs and be picked up in various ways.

A couple of days ago,  I visited  Sirkkis's blog and left a comment in regard to her beautiful collage "A Splash of the Sun"  ...  part of which involved stamps for the challenge "Mail Art".
One of the pieces I'd particularly admired was her choice of stamps.

Then the cogs began to turn!   .... and so, here is my post with the added inspiration to include my fondness for stamps, courtesy of Sirkkis and I thank her kindly :D)
 




Linking to Eva and Kristin's Paint Party Friday - a welcoming spot for everyone, whether you paint, create or not... have a look by clicking on this image:


93 comments:

  1. You made a beautiful painted card! I love your blog! I am now following your blog. Inviting you to follow me too. Thank you. Have a lovely day!

    Greetings, Sofie
    http://sofiecreates.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sofie, you've left a lovely comment and I appreciate that you've followed my blog.
      However, I've tried once more, but I cannot leave a message on your blogspot for the same reason that I explained in my reply to your comment in my previous post:

      "I tried to leave a comment on your blog however it's set up in such a way that it wouldn't allow me to do so unless I agreed to a Google+ Profile being created, so I had to cancel.
      I'm sorry, but Google+ causes so many problems and I just don't wish to go there again."


      Delete
  2. Så nydelig kort du har malt.
    Fantastisk !
    Takk for fin kommentar i bloggen min.

    Hilsen Anne-Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation of Anne-Mari's comment:

      " So lovely card you've painted.
      Fantastic!
      Thanks for the nice comment on my blog.

      Regards Anne-Mari "


      Delete
    2. Thank you Anne-Mari, I really appreciate your comment :D)

      Delete
  3. Your painting is beautiful, Sue! And I really love the flowers and stamps, too! I just read your response above to one of your comments. I feel the same way about the Google+ thing and I don't like that I am unable to comment on blogs that only allow comments from Google+ users. I don't want Google+, I am happy with Blogger.

    I hope you have a great Friday and weekend ahead. Hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, and thank you!

      Sofie's is the only blogspot that I've encountered this requirement when trying to leave a comment, many other bloggers have both and their blogspots and Google+ sites which co-exist quite happily. It's a shame and perhaps it's just something in the settings that may need to be tweaked.

      I just wanted Sofie to be aware that I'm not ignoring her, she has a lovely blogspot.

      Cheers now Linda and, as always, thanks for popping by :D)

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if you realise it but you can sign up to Google Plus and not actually use it but, in signing up, it will allow you to comment on blogs that only allow Google Plus users to comment. Just say no to questions that want Google Plus to be in control over Blogger.

      I have Blogger and also Google Plus but I said 'no' to Google Plus being the Default. That way, nobody has to sign up to Google Plus to comment on my blog. I simply share my posts over to my Google Plus profile when I do them. I don't even have to my Google Plus profile to do it....quite simple really. Hope that helps. :)

      Delete
    3. Right, I see what you mean.
      Thanks for taking the time to explain that Serena, especially when you've been under the weather. Much appreciated :D) xx

      Delete
    4. No worries, Sue. No pressure to sign up to Google Plus, just thought you'd be interested to hear the options. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh Sue this is so pretty. I love this Pink Heath. It looks very much like American Fox Glove. Although the healing properties differ. Thanks for the history on this flower too. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, yes I looked up the American Fox Glove and they do look very similar. I think the Heath's flowers would be quite a bit smaller, but they're lovely how they sit on their spikes as with the Fox Gloves aren't they.
      Really great to have you visit. Cheerio now :D)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful artwork, I love that flower in all its variations. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly dear Valerie for your lovely comment. Cheers now :D) xx

      Delete
  6. your pink heath is wonderful and seeing the photo of it makes me love that plant! It's so much like the opera pink color that's my very favorite. I do love pink. I'm just like you, loving stamps that have to do with mail art. I'd love to own a set.
    Visiting from PPF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn, it is a gorgeous shade of pink isn't it. Yes, when we get snail mail, the stamp is the next thing I look at (once I've worked out who the sender is lol!). Cheers now and enjoy the PPF :D)

      Delete
  7. Dear Sue, thank you for the lovely words and comments here and on my site ♥ Your garden must be most beautiful place and inspire you to paint so beautiful flora and fauna art.I love your delicate pink heath card and your garden picture as a header is fantastic. I explored it closely and saw many wonderful things.
    Have a happy PPF and weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Sirkkis, and you're welcome - it's such a pleasure to see the lovely artwork from all over the world isn't it. So very different to each other as well!
      Our garden has changed over the years too, I used to have lots of shrubs and bushes close together... many native plants but now that gardening is getting a bit harder to do, we have more open areas and that's nice as well. More opportunities to see the birds and other creatures.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the pond, I was startled to see a skink (a small lizard) actually swimming across it the other day! Something I didn't realise they did. Always a surprise when we look outside!

      Cheers now and lovely to have you visit :D)

      Delete
  8. Your pink heath is lovely (and you can move it wherever you like). Wishing you a Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Susan - yes, this one will last :D)

      Delete
  9. Hello Sue, I love both your lovely card and the pretty pink Heath blooms. The stamps are pretty too. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, that's lovely, thank you for popping over :D)

      Delete
  10. Incredibly beautiful work of art! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Anne - enjoy your weekend too!

      Delete
  11. Love your beautiful pond Sue! Those flowers along with your painting of them is so pretty. We have something similar looking on a vine and the hummingbirds love them. TFS and happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice of you to say Linda, thank you.
      I can just imagine those gorgeous hummingbirds enjoying the flowers over your way :D)
      Very happy to share and Happy PPF to you as well! Cheerio

      Delete
  12. It's lovely how we learn from others. Beautiful inspired art today. I have a plant that I put in the wrong spot, I should have checked that it's more of a bush and I put it in front of a window. It would be no easy feat to move it now so I keep cutting it back every season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Christine, absolutely - my views on how to create have widened so much this year.
      I'm glad your plant survived :D) I've made lots of wrong decisions throughout our garden, it's been kind of a movable feast but I was so glad I'd taken photos though!
      Cheers now and beaut to see you!

      Delete
  13. those pink blooms resemble our trumpet flowers. ours are orange and not as lovely, although the hummingbirds love them!!!

    i visited sirkkis's blog - lot's of beautiful energy and sunshine there. i am so happy you are blogging regularly now, i missed you so much while you were gone. i really did, i always thought of special swan sue!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have such a graceful aspect to them don't they, the bell shaped ones. Perfect for the birds to get their long beaks into ;D)

      Lovely that you popped over to Sirkkis' - yes, your creative mind (and hands) would certainly have enjoyed the visit!

      aw, thank you - and I'd been away so long I felt really awkward coming back but within such a short time yourself and other lovely blog-friends contacted and we continued as if that absence hadn't existed. I'll not forget that. Just had to kind of take time needed to mentally gather my wits, and feel like myself again, after an episode in life that is of 'no consequence' (to quote Jane Austen) now!

      Biggest of Hugs :D) xxxx

      Delete
    2. i remember the consequence you speak of - it's good that you can move forward now with such a positive attitude!!! we will always be blog "mates"!!!

      Delete
  14. Wow, Sue, that is a pretty flower and you have captured its likeness so well. The vivid color is beautiful. I have never seen this plant but I'm sure it is sold as a houseplant here if it is sold here at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real lovely of you to say so Faye, thanks very much! So many kinds of plants aren't there - wouldn't surprise me if they popped up there ;D)

      Delete
  15. Hi Sue, what a lovely card you made. The Common Heath bell shaped blooms are so bright and pretty. Maybe you can submit your painting for a possible state stamp design, you do such good work. You have to be so right about us bloggers inspiring each other. I believe it to be a good reason that we continue to blog, along with making exciting friends that we would never meet if we didn't jump out there with our unique ways of creating! I also love stamps and, sometimes save special ones. Your Australia stamps are really nice.

    By the way, I'm so glad to see that "Froggie" still maintains his fun attitude on your blog. He's such a cutie. Thank you for your inspirations, Sue. Have a great weekend. Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, well now thank you very kindly and for your thoughts there.
      It's not too bad of a hobby to tuck little used stamps away, they're so small they don't get in the way eh!
      Oh yes, thanks, Froggie is still around - he nearly stuck his nose in the other day... I think he's really marking time until he thinks up something to warrant an appearance ;D)
      Cheers now, big hugs and till next time. Keeping fingers crossed for those blossoms ... and where there's blossoms fruit will follow!

      Delete
  16. Very beautiful, Sue! Such a pretty floral in gorgeous pink tones...so cheerful~

    Big Hugs Always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks muchly Jan, lovely to know they gave you cheer ... get better soon won't you :D)

      Delete
  17. Beautiful art, Sue! I loved hearing about how you were inspired by Sirkiss' mail art which is a gorgeous piece too. I agree that we, as artists, are inspired by the work of other artists too.

    The Pink Heath in your garden is so pretty! Do they have a scent? I wonder if it grows up here in sub-tropical Brissie? Probably not. Such a pity the one you transplanted elsewhere died — are you able to replace it at all?

    Happy PPF and wishing you a beautiful weekend. We are getting a little rain up here which makes me very happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Serena, thanks for your lovely comments.
      No, the Heath doesn't have a scent but another one we used to have, Boronia, has the most gorgeous scent. I'm really not sure if the Heath would grow up there, but, again, anything's worth a try.
      Yes, I could replace it but gardening has more or less come to a halt these days - I'm not as active as I'd like, so it's a matter of light duties and gentle maintenance. All good though, jolly grateful that it's all been established for us (and the wildlife) to enjoy now... a few weeds don't matter. Ha ha I have what I like to call "weed and mess denial" !! Cheers now.

      Delete
    2. p.s. I meant to add that I'm glad you're getting some rain now - at last - and that the lessening of atmospheric pressure will help with you feeling a bit better.

      Delete
    3. Sorry you are only on light duties nowadays. I leave the garden and lawns for my son to manage as I have a bad back anyways. That said, I've never been much of a gardener and weeds don't worry me either. hehe I do love established gardens that tend to take care of themselves. I am feeling a lot better now, thanks. :)

      Delete
  18. Your card is so pretty and delicate.
    Sorry that your plant didn't like its new home:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, thanks for your visit.
      We've had more wins than losses with plants so can't really complain. Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  19. Dearest Sue; Lovely and Beautiful card with sweet Pink Heath flower(♡^.^♡) So impressive to know about the history of your state and the flower. Yes, I think your country's flora and fauna has SUCH unique value as well as birds♫♫♫ It sure was GREAT experience for me visiting several times to your country and finding them, Dear friend.

    Thank you so much for your sweet comments, I truly appreciate them. I'm away from pc about a week. Promise visiting you after that☆☆☆
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miyako, thank you kindly. It's nice to know you've been over here - we see lots of Japanese visitors who always seem to enjoy themselves, taking lots of photos :D)
      Lovely to have you visit, especially when you're so busy - remember to take time out for yourself and all the best. Cheerio for now xx

      Delete
  20. Hello Sue. You're a talented artist. I like the fact that you love nature and you're inspired by the flowers in your garden. The card is lovely and so is the real flowering plant. It's interesting to hear about your replanting efforts. I know that some plants like ericaceous soil in order to flourish. The stamps are also lovely. I collect them myself and always enjoy getting the ones from my Australian relatives - fewer cards and letters now because the younger generation communicate by email! Thank you for visiting my blog for Five on Friday linkup and leaving a kind comment. Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, thanks for dropping by and leaving your lovely comment.

      I did a bit of research on ericaceous soils (wasn't quite sure what it was and am always keen to learn), and for Australian natives, a mix of it (lime free, more acidic) with sharp sand and grit would have been the better way to go for this type of plant. So I appreciate your advice, we know they don't like nitrogen in the soil but that was about all.

      Cheers now and till next time :D)

      Delete
  21. Lovely card creation ~ wonderful colors and design ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a Happy Weekend ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carol, always beaut to have you visit :D)

      Delete
  22. that is a pretty plant, and you sure did it justice in your painting! These stamps are adorable. When I lived in Australia it was always a pleasure to receive and send mail, because of these colourful and fun stamps. Here in Belgium it's usually just boring head-of-the-king-stamps ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! Thanks Denthe, yes we had the queen in every which way of a pose for a long time (she seemed to never age for a long time either ;D)). So it was really beaut when they started to design our flora and fauna using various styles of art too, not just photos ... that really caught my eye! Glad to know you enjoy them as well. Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  23. Dear Sue your card is beautiful. What a gorgeous plant as well. This type of flower is not a native to my part of the world. Always amazing seeing all the different flora that grows in other places. Hope you are having a delightful weekend. P.S. got your map and will email you soon. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie, thanks for popping in.. your thoughts are appreciated. Yep, a lovely weekend - perfect weather too, so enjoying it.
      Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  24. That's beautiful Sue - love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what a gorgeous plant that is! So pretty and bell like. Super drawing of it too. It's lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Sal, really lovely of you to say, thank you :D)

      Delete
  26. What a lovely colour those little bell flowers are. And no, they don't like to be moved, do they? I've just transplanted a couple of things out of pots and it took at least a week for them to stop sulking. I think they may just pull through :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... fingers crossed they come to their senses Tracy.
      Ha ha, perhaps all the work is going on underground before they decide to let you see that they're happy after all ;D) Cheers!

      Delete
  27. Sometimes plants are just not happy to be moved ...

    Your painting is lovely Sue, and the flowers are such a pretty pink.
    Nice to see the stamps too. I always think using pretty stamps almost makes you want to write a letter or card ...

    Hope the weekend is going well

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Jan. Glad you liked my painting, thanks so much for your visit :D)

      Delete
  28. Certainly not "common" looking. You've done them justice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh, no, too pretty aren't they! Thanks too re my painting effort :D)

      Delete
  29. I love your adorable heath plant painting and the gorgeous photo! You must miss it!! I think this painting/card would make gorgeous greeting cards. I'm not sure if Vista does them out your way but they often have half price sales. I just love it! Sirkkas blog is a wonderful inspiration as is yours!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giggles, thanks very much. Yes, I keep photos of all that I paint.. must get around to printing some out. Vista sounds familiar and there are a few others advertise on telly too - appreciate your thoughts :D)

      Delete
  30. Love your flowers!! We have something called Penstomen, very similar. I love flowers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy. I just googled Penstomen and they're gorgeous and, yes, very similar. Me too - how boring would our world be without flowers :D)

      Delete
  31. Heaths are such beautiful little plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's quite a variety of colours and sizes too aren't there Lynda. Thanks for popping in :D)

      Delete
  32. Its a pretty little native and a shame that it didn't survive its move. I hope I do>>>>>> The card is super too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, thanks and yes... win some, lose some eh!
      Ha ha... well, you've still got your sense of humour - you'll surive. Keep thinking of the end goal ;D)

      Delete
  33. Beautiful painting of the card, keep on being an artist Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really lovely of you Bob, thank you I shall :D) xx

      Delete
  34. Your painting is so vibrant and the painted plant is full of life. I can see it is quite determined to do what it wants. I love the background you chose, sometimes that can be difficult, and the beautiful thin strip of pink as a frame.
    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sheila, many thanks for your delightful comments.
      I appreciate the feedback re the background etc... I enjoy playing around digitally :D)

      Delete
  35. A beautiful plant and a gorgeous painting. Easy to see why you love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, very lovely of you to say :D)

      Delete
  36. That's a lovely pink lower. nice depiction of it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your thoughts, thanks very much NatashaMay :D)

      Delete
  37. Your painting is so pretty Sue, and I agree with regards to inspiration between bloggers. I’m not an artist but just reading other blogs is often enough to set me off on another idea for my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara - much appreciated.
      So true, I get inspired to do some research for my personal interests from some blogs. It's another bonus of blogging :D)

      Delete
  38. I love it! I'm working on a drawing. We'll see if I get to it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - that's really good Jenn. Beaut to have you visit :D)

      Delete
  39. THe pink heath is a lovely flower -- in real and in your painting. The stamps are a great idea. I don't know if this country has anything like that -- I don't collect stamps and send and get very little snail mail ... which is kind of sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sallie, I'm real glad you've enjoyed seeing it. Yes, the snail mail is certainly dropping off - they're literally delivering it at a 'snail's pace' over here! Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  40. I really enjoyed your post today, Sue. Your painting of the beautiful little pink flowers is lovely. yes, stamps are great for mixing into backgrounds or for inspiration, too. I like the &O stamp version, which shows the trumpet shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gloria and thank you very much for leaving your lovely comment :D)

      Delete
  41. RIP Sue's heath plant. Gone but not forgotten - you've immortalised it beautifully in your delightful ink and watercolour. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, thanks Vicki - we've had all kinds in the garden... so glad I managed at least those couple of pics :D) xx

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx