Hi everyone, hope the sun's not to hot for you here in Australia (it's been delightful down here in the SE corner)... and that you're all keeping warm and cosy for those over the pond.
Thought I'd have a little bit to say about ... cauliflowers! Borrrring ? probably, so I'll start off with a ... cabbage !!!
Our baby cabbage that is. MD (My Darling is my name for hubby... for newcomers to my blog) grew this sweet little one last Winter.
Ok, back to cauliflowers.
We've been on a kind of low carb-ish diet since November last year. I say "kind of" and "carb-ish" because we stick to that regime, except when we don't.. I mean, what would Christmas have been without all that yummy food!! ... and Birthdays... you get the drift.
Anyway, we've actually lost approx 10kgs between us as at today and, best of all, we don't feel hungry or look for sweet things too much anymore.
That aside, my point of this post is to tell you that, in finding a substitute for potatoes and rice, I decided to experiment with cauliflower. There's such a thing as "cauliflower rice" referred to in low carb recipes. Admittedly, it took me a while to even try it but it's actually very nice. It seems to change the taste somehow and, yes, it works for us as both a rice and potato substitute.
Its texture when cooked is very stable... it keeps warm for ages if someone is getting a bit uncordinated in their cooking (me) - doesn't go all gluggy like rice.
It also "fills" us as our beloved spuds did.
Enough banging on, if you're willing to read further, I've put some photos in with captions:
| There's a lot of grating involved! I added zucchini, peas and a bit of cabbage in this particular meal. |
| Thought I'd add this in too. It's my version of beef chow mein ... with grated cauliflower instead of rice. |
UPDATING to say that grated cauliflower, microwaved in a dish with a lid, no water, tiny splash of olive oil, sprinkle of pepper and dots of butter... stirred now and then.... is delicious too. In fact it seems to enhance the flavour even more than my methods above. Easy as well!
| Last but not least. This post needs Colour!! Some feral plums which we |
Well, that's it. Thanks if you made it this far, and if you didn't well thanks for the thought anyway.
Cheerio for now, it's birdie week - so will be popping over to Stewarts for Wild Bird Wednesday later.
All the best!
Lost points - smear of gravy on the plate!
ReplyDeleteTastes good, but!
ha ha, appeal has been lodged with the judges re smear... on the grounds that the food was getting cold ;D)
Deletei bet cauliflower rice is pretty good - just like spaghetti squash is a good substitute for pasta! nice to see froggy again! and i laughed at your 'cabbage patch kid'. :)
ReplyDeleteHi T and thanks for dropping by. I must ask about the spaghetti squash, have never seen it down here though, then again I wouldn't know one if I fell over it!
DeleteFroggie just about fell off the windowsill when I said he'd gotten a mention from you ! Peace will reign for a while now ;D)
Thanks too re our cabbage kid - hard as it was to do, we ate him! Cheers!
I always enjoy a good food post but I don't think I could ever give up spuds. Anyone who does, is my hero as I have a very unhealthy relationship with potatoes!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Debbie... ha ha, yes it took a lot to get used to... we love our roast taters - they'll never be totally gone from our diet.
DeleteI'm not pushing the 'low carb' barrow, more that it was quite a surprise to find out about how the cauli cooked that way (and I forgot to add... microwaved too) really brings out a surprising lot of flavour. Another way of preparation I guess you could say.
Great to have you visit :D)
I love posts where others' post their food they are cooking - interesting to read about the cauliflower. I may have to try that - I've been kind of watching my calories but then I just love to eat - but I try to get out for a fast good walk every day. Nice photos! love the color you added.
ReplyDeleteHi there Sandy, glad you liked the post. I'm like you, as soon as I see someone writing about food I'm there, lol, forever on the lookout for different (but easy...) ways to prepare food.
DeleteWalking is good isn't it - lots of photo opps when walking too!! Loving those seagulls photos you've been taking lately :D) Beaut to see you again../ cheers now
Yes I'm trying to cut down on fattening foods too so I will give this a try. Thanks for the idea.
ReplyDeleteIt's always good fun sharing things isn't it... thanks for having a look Diane, hope you enjoy it :D)
DeleteOh it all looks so good I am getting very hungry. I have heard of using cauliflower instead of rice but have never tried it. A head of cauliflower is $4.00 right now in the store. Yikes. We love it though so will be shopping later this week. Hug B
ReplyDeleteHi B, yes it was something that took me quite a while to even try! I love it when caulis get down to $1 in winter time over here. Guess its a bit too cold for them over your way at the moment though. Cheers, and keep warm in your lovely knitted hats ;D)
DeleteWhat a lovely little cabbage - and it is good of me to say that because my husband has a thing about cabbage and we have dozens in the garden! Your cauliflower dishes look delicious - will give them a try when we get some good value cauliflowers around - meantime we have last summers crop of potatoes to clear up. Looking forward to the birds. xx
ReplyDeleteHello Lin, beaut to see you again... that link to the email gadget must be working ok!
DeleteWow... dozens of cabbages - you must have laughed at the fuss I made over our one bubby cabbage!!! lol ;D)
Thanks for your comment and, oh yes, a homegrown crop of potatoes is certainly a priority.
P.S. So happy to read you were the winner of my cards in Maria's giveaway - yay! Cheers now :D)
Jamie Oliver was making cauliflower "couscous" the other day.... just toss some florets into your food processor... if you have one... and, whizz away for a little bit...it becomes just like couscous in mere seconds really... and, then just use it like couscous...as a base to carry sauces, gravies, veggies etc.... I haven't tried it ..but, it looks like it could work too.... and, apparently even lettuce grated or chopped can be cooked with garlic, oil and other veg as a nice side dish... he had peas with his on that day....
ReplyDeleteBeaut to see you Vee.
DeleteI reckon that'd work real well... and whizzing it in a processor would cut down on the grating. It'd take only a short time to cook too and it doesn't go mushy either... oh I guess it would if it's cooked to death but it keeps warm quite well.
(ha ha, sounds like I'm on the Cauliflower Promotion Board !!)
Must give the lettuce a try too, thanks, we always have a lot leftover :D)
I think I need to try this! It looks delicious - I think I'll omit the peas though. Low carb does not really work with my family since we all love hearty whole grain breads that I bake - I am originally from Germany, and we do love our bread. However, we love cauliflower, so I definitely will try this.
ReplyDeleteHi Carola, thanks for dropping by... we can't do without bread, we just cut down - we both agreed that if doing without something felt like being deprived then we'd compromise and we do. Got to enjoy life eh! So, yes, glad the post has been of interest, thanks for adding your thoughts to it :D)
DeleteI've currently got way to many zucchinis.
ReplyDeleteWish I had your problem Joan... we eat lots of them - they ... wait for it: grate up nicely with the cauli recipes!! Send em down :D) Cheers for now
DeleteI love cauliflower too! I've never made chow mein but it sounds like something I need to add to my repertoire. I, too, am on a low carb - ish diet. You are a great cook Susan! You taught me to use napa instead of lettuce in a salad and it keeps for days!
ReplyDeleteMy father used to grow spaghetti squash. They are oblong with a golden flesh that you fluff after baking and the strands of squash resemble spaghetti.
Still painting? I think I've finished my Running Fox. I'll have to post soon.
Hi Mary, lovely to catch up with you again. Yes, there's a big deal of difference between the full bore low carbing and the low carb-ish isn't there. It still works, and that's the main thing.
DeleteAw now thank you Mary, I'm happy to cook as long as I don't have to be exact. I'd forgotten about the napa... to be honest, I had to look that one up ... chinese cabbage. I bought one today actually, it's a bit expensive over here $4.20 for half, however it lasts well. My Sister put me on to it years ago, so it was nice to read that you're enjoying it too. I remember that post... a few years' ago now :D)
Thanks re the spaghetti squash... I shall get my hands on some seeds and grown my own! You obviously inherited your love of growing your own vegies from your father then Mary.
Yep, still painting thanks. Enjoying it as always. I was a late starter but can't imagine not painting now. Good on you for keeping on with yours too. I shall look out for your post. Cheerio now :D)
Another one here in 'the going to try'department - actually it looks super easy so it's definitley going to be tried. All of them that is :)
ReplyDeleteI read this yesterday and had to come back today to get all the info - thanks Susan
Take care
Cathy
Hi there Cathy, it definitely is super easy... and if you read Bumble Vee's comment above, it can be prepared in a food processor so that would save the wrist action required in grating ;D)
DeleteThanks, as always, for your interest!
Oh and there wasn't a robot box there either - what did you do with it? Use it as a cover for Froggy's bed??
ReplyDeleteGood to get that feedback... ha ha, yep Froggie certainly thought of a few good uses for it!!
DeleteI've a theory based on my visits to others. Once you've done the robot box stupid thing at a particular blog then you can bypass it for future visits!
Cheers now :D)
Good recipes. I'm all into vegetables too, I find shredded cabbage good in the same way as cauliflower, also turnips, zucchini, kale, spinach, and mix several vegetables together, with chopped mushrooms, garlic, and ginger and turmeric root. I have a surplus of cucumbers in the summer and I chop and cook a lot of them too. I like your baby cabbage, but I can't seem to get cabbages to make good heads here so content myself with kale and collards. Enjoy your summer vegetables! Froggy is cute, I hope he doesn't fall in.
ReplyDeleteHello Hannah, your combos sound yummy. I love all of them... haven't tried the turmeric root though. I reckon I could hide the cucumbers in a mix like that too (MD would never know). The mushrooms would give the protein too... I like meatless days! There's always another way of looking at things isn't there and I thank you for your thoughts and your visit :D)
DeleteCongratulations on your weight loss, Susan. You put my (non)efforts to shame. Thanks for the great tip about cauliflower.
ReplyDeleteSuch a cute baby cabbage, though I have a feeling, it wasn't so cute by the time you'd finished with it. ;-P
Happy Australia Day for Monday!
Hi Vicki, thanks very much!! I/we can't claim to stick to it ... a lovely party/bbq with lots of nibbles to celebrate a special little one's first birthday, then a nice feed of fish and chips on Sunday - just because!! Back on it again though... that's the difference, it's not a hardship to return to that way of eating :D)
DeleteHa ha, bubby cabbage was delicious... but no, didn't look anything like in it's formal portrait ;D)
Yay, thanks... and Happy Australia Day to you too. Celebrations for your art triumphs at the Show - well done Vicki - woo hoo !!!! xx