Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Drifting through...

As a follow up to a recent post where I was being 'watched' by a pair of art lovers/critics:
















I thought I'd share the way I dilly-dally around with my paintings.

This one is called "Drifting through Fairy Dell".
Fairy Dell is a beautiful piece of rainforest and I was inspired to have a go at creating that timeless sort of feeling I used to get when we were standing down in amongst it.

I like to take progress photos for 3 reasons.
Firstly,  because things that need correction (to my eye) are more apparent in photographs.
Secondly, I still get a kick out of the fact that I am actually painting nowadays, instead of 'wishing' I could and worrying what it looks like!
Thirdly, I just love taking photos !


First attempt



Result of a few more painting sessions.   However, I ended up in a bit of a quandary - two trees at the front look a bit much....but I like them both!





Decision made ... chop down one tree - lol !




Finished!





26 comments:

  1. oh, you did great chopping down that tree! much more 'leading' into the forest and making it not so perfect, is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much T, now I must 'fess up though. In the end I asked MD for his opinion and when he gave it, I had a few whiney moments lol ! Sometimes I have trouble seeing the forest for the trees !!! ;D)

      Delete
  2. Oh I love how you chopped down one tree....brilliant I LOVE it. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B, that's why I enjoy using acrylics ... soooo easy to paint over and re-do something. Really appreciate your kind words too :D)

      Delete
  3. i would have been so nervous to chop that tree down but it looks fabulous. your courage inspires me as i often think too much!!

    i also liked the first attempt image, very soft and artsy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely thing to say Debbie ... thank you. It's funny when I start a painting, I nearly give up because it looks so different to what I picture in my mind. I love how you liked the first stage :D)

      Delete
  4. and it's still march 3rd here.....i am posting in to the future ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I find the time difference quite fascinating too :D)

      Delete
  5. These paintings are all fabulous. The first one is soft and breezy, but, really, the last one is the best...to decide on that change. It really does complete the pathway-lets us know that sometimes there are hiccups along the way! I would have to use photos, but alas, I'm still wishing I could paint, haha!

    Thank you for sharing this painting, Susan. I hope your little observers return for another session!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Suzanne. Really appreciate your encouragement too. I had referred to a lot of photos I'd taken on a few of our trips to the Dell. Am having a go as some fantasy paintings though, they'll be a bit of fun and who knows how they'll turn out.
      I know that "wishing I could paint" feeling - it was joining a local group of lovely welcoming ladies that really got me going... after years of my dear hubby buying me things and telling me to have a go! If you haven't already, why don't you and your gorgeous little Scootie get together with brushes, paints and lots of paper and have some fun! :D)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic! I just love Drifting through Fairy Dell. You've certainly achieved that ethereal feel. What did you do with the tree you chopped down? Firewood? :-)

    The glimpse behind the scenes is so interesting. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Vicki ! I always appreciate your support.
      Ha ha, yes, just imagine the furore eh.... genuine rainforest firewood - argghhh :O)
      I'm real glad I take progress photos ... when I remember, sometimes I'm away with the paint fairies for hours ;D)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Many thanks Diane, I love that you enjoyed it :D)

      Delete
  8. okay, that's pretty funny actually.....great job. I wish it could be that simple in real life.....there'd be a few less ugly trees in this neighbourhood.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you're right Vee - to get a whole tree cut can cost thousands of dollars. Can understand it with what's required and all the rules and regulations required, but, with a few layers of paint - voila!! ;D)

      Delete
  9. You are very talented!!!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://handcraftedbyus.wordpress.com
    ♬♬♬ Happy Saint Patrick’s Day ♬♬♬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind, I'm chuffed! Thank you very much Linda :D)

      Delete
  10. Very dreamy........and pretty........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really appreciate you saying so Jenny - those are some of the feelings I was aiming for :D)

      Delete
  11. oh wow your painting is sooooo beautiful!! and I love the way you chopped down the tree, it looked so brilliant, it was there then it wasn't!! you are very talented. Such a serene painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, lovely to have you visit. Wow, thank you very much for your kind words. I feel so happy when painting. It has a lot of advantages doesn't it :D)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you Joan, sometimes I get too enthusiastic and want to cram so much into a painting, but, yes, definitely, that tree just had to go :D)

      Delete
  13. Well what a great idea to chop down the tree - what a beautiful painting!!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx