We were lucky enough to visit the Umbrella Making Centre in Chiang Mai.
Hand made bamboo umbrella making at Borsang Village has been performed for over two centuries. Formerly, villagers made only paper umbrellas for the purpose of offering them to monasteries on ritual occasions.
![]() |
| A display in the grounds of the Umbrella Making Centre depicting a monk carrying a paper umbrella for ceremonial purposes |
Their umbrellas became so widely known that the villagers developed methods to improve the quality and the uniqueness of them.
Years ago, villagers made each part of the bamboo umbrellas at home, especially during the post-harvest season and their children learned the trade by helping their parents, in a tradition passed down from generation to generation.
During the past 50 years, the local area was confronted with a serious decline. Similar to what has been happening to our smaller country towns, young people gravitated to the cities and so the traditional ways were quickly being lost.
The Umbrella Making Centre was established in 1978 by a local resident in order to retain the traditional and unique skills of handmade bamboo umbrella making.
By way of a Welcome to the Centre, we were invited to have something hand-painted. I chose my recently purchased hat as the subject and was totally delighted with the result.
![]() |
| Design chosen. This skilled lady starts on a blank |
![]() |
| Within minutes, she creates a beautiful picture |
![]() |
| Bit of a pause so that her work can be dried |
I loved that MD suggested that perhaps my name (in Thai) be also put on the hat. This charming lady was only too delighted to oblige.
That's it, in red, in the photo below.
![]() |
| Here's the finished hat - a real work of art too isn't it. |
I guess I've digressed from the umbrella-making, but we enjoyed every aspect of this Centre, so I'm including everything!
Now to start with the assembly line of construction of the various parts that make up an umbrella.
I would like to add that all the ladies were only too happy for their photos to be taken and shared. I always like to ask permission before snapping away.
Here's a close-up of the previous picture
Even though totally engrossed in their work, these ladies were still chatting and singing away to each other and would beckon us to take a closer look.
Each step in the process was incredibly hands-on and they were, justifiably, proud of their skills.
More later :D)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)




.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
i love the painting on your hat! and i hope these woman enjoy their craftsmanship! it looks like beautiful work!
ReplyDeleteMay 2nd 6.58am
DeleteIt's gorgeous isn't it... and it washes well (the lady assured me it would).
It seemed to us that they really did enjoy their work and enjoyed our interest in it too.
It is so interesting to learn about other cultures. The hat painting is fabulous.
ReplyDeleteMay 2nd 7.00am
DeleteAlways so much to learn and experience, yes!
May 2nd, 7.02am
DeleteDiane, I appreciate you taking the time away from your new grandson to comment too! Congratulations :D)
What a great adventure! I would LOVE to go there one day.
ReplyDeleteHi there and welcome to my blog, CrackYW, beaut to have you join too.
DeleteHave just been over to yours and enjoyed myself immensely ;D)
We did have a beaut adventure on our trip, thank you.
May 2nd 7.19am
A beautiful momento from your trip. These ladies are very talented. Would love to have one of those umbrellas!
ReplyDeleteMay 2nd, 7.20 am
DeleteThanks Nancy - oh yes, talent by the bucketfull. We were in awe of them all!
Lovely photos of the umbrella factory, superb colours!
ReplyDeleteAs we walked through the showroom - that was what struck me, were the brilliant colours! A lovely experience overall :D)
DeleteMay 2nd 7.22am
Interesting entry and of super taking. I am greeting
ReplyDeleteMay 2nd, 7.26am
DeleteThank you for visiting my blog Zielona, and for your comment. Greetings to you!
i adore those umbrellas....and the hat making lady!! she did a beautiful job, what a talented woman!!
ReplyDeleteMay 2nd, 7.27am
DeleteVery definitely a talented woman. In all the hat painting took a little over 7 minutes!! Cool in my book :D)
wow. very interesting!! the original...handmade painting on your hat is beautiful!!!
ReplyDeletelong live the bamboo umbrella!! the women look very happy...and should be proud of their talent!! great post!
May 2nd, 7.29am
DeleteI'm thrilled with it, yes!
They were a happy lot of women and absolutely so talented.
Hi Susan. I loved your post from Thailand. We hosted a Thai student for her junior year of high school. It's been a few years now, but she has given me an open invitation to go visit her home. I should go, right? Your umbrella painter, hat painter was cute. Good choice. I'm new here, please come see me. No Thailand, only home sweet home for now. Later. Mary
ReplyDeleteHi Mary and Welcome to my blog. Beaut to have you join as well! You'd certainly never regret it if you went to Thailand... being given an open invitation to your student's home means that you'd experience everything from a perspective far and away above that of a tourist. We were lucky enough to enjoy that and came away with so many happy memories.
DeleteThanks for these interesting pictures. It looks like a nice place to work, not only rather creative but also a very attractive looking place. My grandmother had a bamboo umbrella. it was very old and I can still remember it clearly, I suppose because I spent such a lot of time examining it as a child.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome Jenny. Everything was open and cool, a lot of care was given to the comfort (in relative terms of course - different country, different standards) of the workers.
DeleteI can imagine your grandmother's umbrella would have been quite exotic looking to you as a child - lovely how these things stick in our memories isn't it.
Fascinating. I hope we never become that one big global village people talk about. I pray we continue to embrace our differences -- it's what makes the world such an interesting place.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!
Me too and well said Vicki.
DeleteThere's so much to learn from each other.
I came away from our Thai and Vietnam visits with a whole new perspective on life. Apart from anything else, my gratitude-for-what-I-have level just soared... and still remains!!!
Some very clever and talented ladies there! The painted hat looks gorgeous :-)
ReplyDeleteThe ability to work in with each other is integral to their lives too. It was quite noticeable as we walked around the Centre.
DeleteSusan, how wonderful. We have lost that pride in craftsmanship here. So glad to see it survives there :)
ReplyDeleteAfter reading the history of the Centre, yes, it's incredibly important to their cultural strength for places like this to exist. Unfortunately, tourism in Northern Thailand is not quite as popular, so not a lot of people get to experience places such as these. It's amazing just how much there is to see up there.
DeleteHow wonderful to see the tradition is continued. And the Art on your hat is great. :-)
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely Vi. It was amazing to see how quickly the lady wielded her brush on my hat. The photos are taken from screen captures of the video we took of her... so glad we did!
DeleteOne of those things to which we don't give much thought sometimes.... isn't it great that somebody had the foresight to keep a tradition alive .... .
ReplyDeleteand wow...what a beautiful job she did on your hat...a keepsake for sure...
Yes, it's the same in our own countries isn't it. Fortunately, there are people around who have the drive and foresight to value traditional life and practices.
DeleteI finally got here! I could only get to your second part for a few days, but wanted to see this one first. What fun, and so interesting. I had no idea it was done this way. And, you've brought back some history that shows us where these great umbrellas come from, and, how. She really did a beautiful job on your hat...I'll bet you'll always keep it!♥
ReplyDeleteHi and thanks Susan! I didn't realise the work that went into them either. Makes them all that more special doesn't it.
DeleteOh yes I'll always keep my hat, it's more than just a souvenir :D)
LOVE the hat...so fun to pop over here and catch up on your posts. thanks for sharing your adventures, Susan!
ReplyDeleteHi Dmarie, thank you... lovely to have you visit too :D)
DeleteOh Susan I am so sorry to be late to this umbrella party I am truly enjoying your photos and I do so love the way you capture the people you meet forever in a photo. You have a true gift my friend. :) B
ReplyDeleteNo need at all to be sorry B, I enjoy your visit whenever you can. Our real lives always need attending to first :D)
DeleteThank you very much for I do love to capture people especially in photos, so my pleasure in that is doubled when others enjoy my photos :D)