Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A little adventure

Have been busy working in the garden since coming back home, in between the bursts of rain.
Looking at the news each night, I'm very mindful of the flooding rains that a lot of Aussies are having to cope with - once again.  It must be horrendous to see your home go under water like that.
I hope our blogger-friends in the tornado areas overseas are all safe and sound too.

Have nearly had a catch-up with everyones' blogs... a few days offline and I'm amazed at how many posts have been published since I last went blog-visiting.  I can't keep up anymore so I guess I'll just have to be considered an occasional dropper-in!

In the post before Froggie decided to wreak havoc on my packet of green tea, I'd shown some pics of our visit to Mae Fah Luang Gardens in the hills of Doi Tung.  The following pics were taken in the afternoon of that same day.
Our intention was to drive across to Mae Sai and then home, however, we ended up taking the wrong turn and went a bit further North which took us, unknowingly for a while, along the Burma Border.



The scenery was great, but we kind of felt we weren't on the right road.




Yes, this stop confirmed it! We definitely hadn't intended to venture this far.





We decided to have a bit of a look around - but didn't want to linger.
There were a few well maintained military bunkers there...




... as well as this impressive collection of roosters - definitely
another photo opportunity.




I thought this picnic table setting had just the best view!




We knew we shouldn't linger at that outpost, so made tracks pretty quickly.





Our initial thoughts were proved correct a little further down the road.
I quickly snuk in a photo of this fully armed military guard as we approached the checkpoint.
Our car was searched, we were questioned and then were told in no uncertain terms to keep
driving and not to stop until we reached Mae Sai.
No arguments from us!



There are several military reasons we weren't allowed to stop along this road, one being that drugrunners  illegally cross the border from Burma and so the military keep a close eye on this road.  As can be seen, there's plenty of cover for such activities.
The other reason is possible border conflict, but that, apparently, was a lesser risk.
We obeyed our orders - no way would we stop the car.



Beautiful views on the Thai side of the border too.


On our way down to Mae Sai we passed  two hilltribe villages.  I'd missed taking photos but caught a glimpse of them on video.  We quite enjoyed our little adventure!

38 comments:

  1. Beautiful trip! Thanks for sharing. Like you have to measure my time in blog world. But there are some that I just MUST visit as much as possible and you are one of those!


    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really thrilled you're enjoying our trip Linda. Aw, I do appreciate your lovely comment too :D)

      Delete
  2. yikes! the military warnings would make me nervous. the roosters made me laugh, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a little bit nervous, but it was also a bit exciting too. I'd mentioned in an email to another blogger friend that if we had been younger, with the responsibilities of dependent children etc there were a lot of things we wouldn't have done, or places we wouldn't have visited... but, well, it was the trip of a lifetime!
      The roosters definitely lent a momentary feeling of hilarity to the situation :D)

      Delete
  3. I'm with Theresa on the military warnings, but I can see that nothing ventured, nothing gained applies strongly to your life philosophy. The scenery is absolutely beautiful, and it would have been a great pity to have missed seeing it had you been less adventurous.

    I love your wounded spider's web :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, absolutely, Desiree - oh gosh we had some fun all right. It seemed just the right time in our life to have made this trip :D)
      Just when we thought that the scenery was just the best thing... we'd turn another corner and there was another breathtaking view! We felt so fortunate to be there and to be shown around by our kind rellies.

      Delete
  4. Wow Susan I am with Tex it would be scary with military I am not used to that.
    Your photos are beautiful I feel like I am standing there with you.
    Thank you for showing this part of the world I probably will never see. What an awesome adventure you had. Take care B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand what you mean B, I wasn't used to dealings with the military either ;D) In Thailand (well, Northern Thailand at any rate), everyone is required to carry identification (for tourists - our passports and for locals their identity cards) at all times. We can be stopped anytime, anywhere and asked for our 'papers'. Taking it into context, the intent is to hunt out drugdealers/couriers, so it was comforting, in a way, to know that an 'eye' was being kept out for those type of people of which there are many apparently.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh your pictures make me want to go to Thailand, they are so wonderful and beautiful and seem to show an enchanted land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get to go there Jenny. I don't think there's anyone we've met who hasn't enjoyed their trip over there. I get a real kick out of sharing some of our pictures and I'm so happy you're enjoying them.

      Delete
  6. beautiful scenery...what an adventure!! i agree with the others, the military stops & searches would make me a bit nervous...but the land is certainly something to see, so it's worth the adrenaline rush i guess...as long as their 'power' doesn't go to their heads...you know!!

    me LoVE the spider web too!!!! *cheers!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Laura... lol, they only searched the car. It was all over in a flash and it certainly made for an exciting day!! They were firmly polite is how I'd describe the military. All through our travels with the police, security etc too, we were always treated with politeness furtunately. Glad you loved the web - it was so pretty with its raindrops but I found it after it'd been blown and rained at.

      Delete
  7. You are a brave traveler. I would be way too nervous with all of the military around like that. I also love the picnic table and it's view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill - thank you, lol :D)
      I would've loved to have stayed and picnicked at that table - it was a perfect day and the best view, but .... no hanging around allowed unfortunately. Cheers!

      Delete
  8. That web shot at the top is awesome, I am enjoying your travels. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb... you're most welcome :D)

      Delete
  9. Susan, I am soooo green with envy with your international travels :>) However, can't thank you enough for sharing such delightful adventures through your eyes.

    Love ya,
    Cherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Cherri - so happy to have you along too :D)

      Delete
  10. How high were you in those mountains? Stunning!

    I love the spider web photo. They have always fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, we were approximately 1500 metres. After we left the checkpoint the winding road dropped fairly quickly - it just added to the drama :D)
      Yep, thanks, I'm a spidey fan too!!

      Delete
  11. Wonderful photos. This armchair travelling isn't half bad. :)

    And I love the spider web in your header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki - oh yes, that's what I love about my armchair too lol :D)
      I reckon the web making abilities of spiders are simply incredible, eh!!

      Delete
  12. Wow, great photos Susan - what an adventure you have been on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy - and how glad am I that we're in the digital photography age... ha ha, I had a laugh when I thought of the me a few years back with a roll of film in the camera- dithering - trying to decide which shot to take!! ;D)

      Delete
  13. What a grand adventure, Susan. I saw your "just be sensible" on you photos and realized I was visiting my old friend from some time ago. I thought about you during your break from blogging...I didn't realize you had returned...welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you kindly Tammy for your lovely thoughts. It's beaut to be back too and having fun catching up with everyone :D)

      Delete
  14. I have just awarded your blog a Leibster award. You can go to my blog at www.primrosehappysnapper.blogspot.com to see all about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb - thank you for including me in that award - I appreciate your gesture very much, and I shall take pleasure in visiting the other blogs you mention in your post.
      I shall, however, be opting out of the "pass it on" requirement because last year I was in a similar position and found it exceedingly hard to single out some blogs above others. I went ahead with it to keep in the spirit of things, but never felt comfortable about it.
      I always make sure that all the blogfriends I interact with are included in my sidebar. So, many thanks Deb, I do hope you understand :D)

      Delete
  15. What beautiful scenery. Probably a bit scary with that military presence though. Reminds me of when DH and I were in San Diego last year...3 times we inadvertently strayed into military checkpoints...luckily the Aussie accents seemed to help and being 'older' too I think helped too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Maria, ah yes, 'inadvertently straying' ... lol, that's the way to describe how we get in these situations eh!! Wow, 3 times Maria :O you and DH were having a lot of adventures!
    Yes, I too think that our being older sometimes helped us get away with some things ;D)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ola Susan,minha querida amiga da Austrália,que bom te reencontrar,Já fazia um tempo.....Senti saudades daqueles lindos,espumantes e perfumados cafés que costumavas nos oferecer.Espero que tenhas aproveitado muito tua bela e longa viagem.Voltarei a te visitar para ir sabendo das novidades.Teu blog está maravilhoso.Um grande abraço.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Suzane :D)
      I decided to close my coffee blog because we'd just run out of ideas - it was fun while it lasted, and I do thank you for your lovely words. Hugs back to you :D)

      Delete
  18. Hi Susan! What a beautiful spider web! And what a scary trip...I'm glad you kept going and got out of there safely. It's nerve wracking to get out of bounds in an unknown area. But your photos are beautiful...love the picnic table.

    So glad to see you here, and, yes, it's hard to catch up. You have so much to do. Have a great weekend...hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, great to have you visit again. Aw, it wasn't too scary - more like fun :D) However, yes, LOL, there's no way we would have stopped!!

      Delete
  19. I too have trouble keeping up with comments. The views along this road were lovely but it sounded a bit hairy. You were lucky not to be detained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I come and go with the blogging - it's nice knowing it's always there to catch up on and see what everyone's doing. Otherwise, my main project at the moment is gardening, gardening, oh and for a bit of a change, gardening!!

      Those views were amazing - I was switching from photos to videos all along the way! We do what we were told at those checkpoints - I think it was obvious we didn't have a stash hidden ;D)

      Delete
  20. i love getting lost!! this is the adventure of a lifetime, did you have lunch at that cute little picnic table??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to see you over here too Debbie - you've had a rough old trot of late haven't you.
      Yes, this was one amazing experience all right. No we didn't have lunch there - it wasn't the place to linger, just a few quick snaps and then off. We made the right decision too as it happened. Cheers :D)

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx