Thursday, December 22, 2011

Wishing Everyone a Merry Christmas

It seems like ages since I've blogged, however, I couldn't let Christmas go by without sending good wishes to everyone.  


Our life has been taken up entirely with our travelling and, oh boy, what an amazing time it has been so far. We've been in Northern Thailand for 5 weeks, and are now in Vietnam making our way up North and will return to Australia in early February.

The camera has been given a good working out, I shall include a few photos in this post... I became a bit overwhelmed as to which ones to choose, so they're a random lot.

Gosh, we've had adventures galore, seen weird and wonderful sights, eaten delightful food (and some not so delightful too!! but we try everything).

We get around by planes, buses, ferries, taxis, trains and even on the back of scooters - wow, who'd have thought... me on the back of a scooter taxi on the roads packed with traffic who follow the rule that if you flash your lights and honk your horn you've got right of way.  A mad dash around Bangkok on a Tuk Tuk in the evening (exhilarating) and a leisurely ride on a Cyclo straight through the craziness of Ho Chi Minh City's bumper to scooter traffic (scary and terrifying fun ... if that makes sense??).

We've been on the receiving end of some incredible acts of kindness and such generous hospitality by people, it's reduced us to tears.  Seeing the living conditions and the results of basic lack of health care that we take for granted in Australia is such an eye opener too.

That's it for now, it's a bit of a one-sided post as I won't have time to be popping over to visit any of you kind blogfriends, each day is full to the brim while we're "on the road" and then we flop exhausted, but happily, into bed... see you all when we're back in Australia.  Until then, enjoy the pics and have the happiest of Christmases, keep safe and eat lots!!  Kindest regards, Susan and MD xx

Stunning White Temple near Chiang Mai... complete
with white fish (Koi)

Loy Krathong celebration of the full moon
We were in a crush of people, all orderly though
not scary at all.


Purchases from the early morning market.
The little banana leaf packages contained a sweet
sticky coconut rice mixture - very addictive!


A Temple by a Lake
A blissful spot


At the handmade Umbrella Factory at Chiang Mai
This lady was cutting spokes

MD thought I'd love this umbrella to take back home...
he was right, I did !
Just hope Customs let me keep it - fingers crossed.


Another of the beautiful National Parks in Thailand
(Phu Sang)


I'll never take rice for granted again after seeing the
hard physical labour that goes into harvesting it.
The itching and rashes the harvesters suffer are terrible, plus
the strain on their wrists and arms. MD bought some support
bandages for one lady's wrists and the relief was
immediate, the joy she showed was such a pleasure
to see. We're going to follow up with more for others.

Um... we got lost!

Some of the funny things we saw in the markets


This lovely hilltribe lady in Mae Salong (a tea growing area)
kindly obliged me with her photo. 


Hmmmm.... feeling hungry?


At My Tho, Vietnam, on the banks of the Mekong River
Christmas is celebrated widely in Vietnam, so

MERRY CHRISTMAS

14 comments:

  1. wow, you are on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure! so good to hear from you! these photos are amazing! be safe! be well! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you popped in. Your holiday sounds wonderful and it's certainly a trip of a lifetime. Enjoy.
    Send you both our best wishes for Christmas and I'll be here when you get back. Maa

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a merry Christmas to you too :-). Lovely photos. I've never been to the places you've been. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to read about your adventures. Keep enjoying yourself and all the best. Look forward to your regular posts again when you get home. Have a wonderful time.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to see a Post from you Susan.
    You certainly are having an interesting time, and the weather looks to be being kind for you too.

    Your collage Header is absorbing and looks great.

    I do hope you are able to keep the umbrella, the colouring, feel and design is very beautiful... lovely thought by MD.

    The White Temple... isn't it awesome such intricacy has been created by human artisans... a real visual treat to be seeing... would be breath-taking for you and MD actually experiencing it.

    Now the rice story is interesting... shows that even after centuries and generations working the rice fields, the body does not adapt to the intensity of the labour.
    The support bandages, such a simple effective assist... your MD has a lovely mind... was good they were available... maybe they will become more widely used now... well maybe...

    Don't stop until you reach Mae Sai!!! what would have happened if you stopped and sat for a bit??? a bit worrying.

    Not sure I find the Dolls funny, but maybe my sense of humour isn't tuned in.
    The hilltribe lady.. now she is gorgeous, and I think my appetite is waning wondering what the brown things are so I think I'll stay with the early morning market finds, that looked delicious.

    Such a different feel the photos emit, a totally different atmosphere than photos places and things here in Australia... wonderful to be having the privilege to share in your adventures. Thank you.

    Have a wonderful Christmas Susan and Merry Christmas to your MD too.
    Good wishes from Magda and Crew in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Susan and MD Merry Christmas what a grand trip I am so happy you are having a good time. Awesome pics. Have fun. New Years in another country so beautiful will be magnificent. Take care my friend ENJOY hugs. B

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a marvellous time you are having ... Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a wonderful surprise! But tantamount to teasing all of us ;) What a glorious adventure you are having. Few are in a position or brave enough to do what you two are doing. I hope you'll be publishing a book on this? It would sell widely, of that I'm certain! Now while I return to my normal day to day routines, you head back out there and continue to explore and experience sights and things I never will. Big hug xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a treat to see you on here Susan! You've been missed terribly! Your photos are simply gorgeous...the White Temple and umbrella are magnificent. Hope you get to keep the umbrella. Everyone is getting ready for the Christmas celebrations...busy, busy, busy. You take care, have plenty of fun, and the food looks scrumptuous! Have a Merry Merry Christmas and a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!That is a long time travelling. I can't wait to se more of where you have been and what you have done. You have a safe and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have missed you sooo very much but it looks like you are having a wonderful time!!

    a once in a life time trip, the white temple is amazing!!!

    have a blast susan, i know you will!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh, so tickled that you found the time to share a few pics. can't wait to see more when you have the time. I'll enjoy your travels vicariously, so thx for sharing, Susan. safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should have checked here first! Loved the photos and glad to read how enjoyable everything is.

    see ya later..

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was fantastic to read everyone's comments - thank you, each and every one, for taking the time to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx