Another curiously named historic site:
This 1000 Pound Bend is so named after either the cost of repairs and insurance when two coaches collided, or the cost of constructing the road through hand-hewn rock at this troublesome spot.
<><><><><><><><><><><>
I'll return to some more curious historic sites further down the page. In the meantime, I'd like to briefly chat about Wombats. We saw evidence of a lot of them when we stopped by the Tambo River (in part one), and the surrounding area.
Here's a photo of the Common Wombat, the species who lives in this part of the country. I've also inserted a link to the Australian Museum for those who wish to know more about this short, stout and solid marsupial, who's also earned the nickname "the Bulldozer of the bush"!
| The Common Wombat (Photo borrowed from Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary) |
[Warning.... some may choose not to look at the next photo]
![]() |
| We found lots of evidence of wombats. Their scats are cube shaped (so that they stay in the same spot and don't roll away), thereby, marking the wombats' territory. This lot was smack bang in the middle of a bridge over the Tambo River! I included this photo because those of us who follow Laura of ForestWalkArt blogspot, know she'd be interested ;-) |
When wombats want to go somewhere, they just go... nothing stands in their way except, perhaps, solid rock.
Farmers' fences are undermined, pushed out of shape, treated with complete disregard, much to their annoyance. It not only wrecks their fences, but it leaves openings for predators, and other unwanted fauna, to access their paddocks and stock.
Many methods have been used to try and deter wombats from ploughing straight through fences. One is incredibly inhumane and cruel and I'd hate to think it's still being used these days.
On the other side of the road, and a bit further north, from where we stopped by the Tambo, we saw another type of wombat-proof fencing.
<><><><><><><><><><><>
Back to the curiously named historical sites:
Left of Top Photo (Battle Point): was named after a fight between two bullock drivers or road foremen.
Top right (Haunted Stream): was named after its connection with the murder of Ballarat Harry. (Couldn't find out anything further about that story... think I'll leave well enough alone anyway!)
Bottom right (Dead Horse Flat): after a horse which was dragged along for some distance, dead, after being tied by a halter, while still alive, to the rear of its owner's wagon.
Bottom Photo (Devil's Backbone): after the tortuous nature of the country.
We continued north, passing through open country with mountains on either side of the river valley, to Ensay, which is a small town now, but once celebrated for its wool production.
It is at the base of the Nunniong High Plains sitting alongside the Tambo and Little Rivers. The aboriginal name for Ensay is Numblaminjie, meaning "black fish".
![]() |
| Ensay Town Centre Not my photo [source] |
Hungry. Thirsty. The Cafe is open. I couldn't wait to check it out.
![]() |
| Pies, sauce and coffee - yum. |
Refreshed, and homeward bound.
We spied this wooden charmer giving everyone a big smile as they passed.
![]() |
| No clue as to her story. She just is! |
Next time we'll venture further up The Great Alpine Road and see what we can see.
Hope you enjoyed the drive with us!











I love your journeys, Sue! You always point out such ineresting things along the way! And that little wombat is too cute, even though they are considered nuisances :(
ReplyDeleteAnd I KNOW Laura is going to be 'so chuffed' she's inspired her followers to examine/take note of and in your case, even RECORD animal scat for her! :) I must say, 'square' poop is a new one on me ;)
Well Susan the wait was not too long for part2!
ReplyDeleteI love all these fancy names, and the best about them is that they all have a well recorded story. That's brilliant!
Wombat: if I understand well you need an armour to approach them. Heard of these animals but never encountered any...which I am glad about after what you write...
Kind regards from DeeBee
I absolutely enjoyed the trip. Interesting names and reasons it is fascinating to me. We have King street, Main street,Queen street etc etc you get the boring..
ReplyDeleteI would love to go travel with you.
Thank you so much. B
> Desiree, lovely to receive your comments! Oh, the wombats are such intriguing creatures. They do look so cute I agree! They're not protected here in Victoria, but are in some other states of Australia.
ReplyDeleteHa ha, yes, well I'm thinking some of Laura's amazing grasp of 'seeing' what's out there rubbed off on me re the scats... to be honest, it was right there in front of us - so I couldn't ignore it now could I ;-)
> DeeBee, thank you, I'm real glad you enjoyed it too. The stories behind the names were fascinating. I cross-checked, so think I've got them right.
I read somewhere on the internet that a man walking out of his caravan stepped on a wombat which then went for him in a fierce way! (Ha ha, I would too if I was stepped on!!!) However, generally speaking, I haven't heard about any direct threats from a wombat... so saying, I wouldn't run up to it expecting a cuddle ;-)
> Buttons, that's wonderful B., thank you for that... there's heaps more to see out there.
I cannot wait to see more photos, its like taking a holiday without leaving home. Wangaratta is my home town, its were I was born. But I havnt been back for a long time so look forward to your photos
ReplyDeleteYou're observant. Love all the site names. Battle Point, Haunted Stream, Dead Horse Flat, Devil's Backbone all sound like they're straight out of a ghost story.
ReplyDeleteDogs LOVE to roll in wombat poo. I never knew there was a reason that their scats were cube-shaped. Just assumed... well, never mind ;-)
Come on, now! Cubed scat emanating from a circular orifice?
ReplyDeleteYou Ossies like to spin a story, don't you. Next you'll be telling us that the wombats sit there with a eucalypt branch in their cute little paws, patting them into shape!
Loved the drive with you!
ReplyDelete~~HUGS~~
I love this State, and this country...and wombats. There must be thousands of them living around here...judging by the number I see as road kill. I love it when farmers make wombat gates in their fences to let them through. As you say, they learn pretty quickly and obligingly use them instead of bulldozing the fence.
ReplyDeleteSusan, what great adventures! The scenery of your great countryside is delicious...and most interesting :-) I'm drinking it all in. The Wombats are curious little critters--with lots of whiskers. Cute! Loved the road signs, too. Thank you for sharing your road trip and letting us travel with you.
ReplyDeleteCherri
I love wombats, we have the hairy nosed kind over here. I've seen cavernous burrows where the dirt gave way to solid limestone and the wombats continued to dig and scrape straight through so I don't think even solid rock can hold them for too long!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous sights and pics as always. :)
OOOOOooooh!!!! wombats! just SAYING that word makes me smile! what a cute face! it's hard to believe that such monstrous fencing is needed to keep these little SQUARE POOPING critters OUT! i guess they haven't figured out how to dig UNDER??
ReplyDelete(OH, and YES!! you're right! i appreciated the mention for my interest in POOP! ha!)
your pictures are terrific! the journey exciting! the names of the historical sites...curious! thanks for the explanations!
seeya...as we head onward and upward to Great Alpine Road! :]
> Angela, we used to free-camp in our bus at Edi Cutting (by the King River - for others' info), and so Wangaratta was where we'd go and buy our food, fuel etc. It's such a great scenic area. We enjoyed those beautiful Autumn days there. We'll get back up that way in the not too distant... ready with the camera :D)
ReplyDelete> Vicki, some of those names... well, yes, spooky! There were at least another 5 but some of the spots weren't the best for stopping (winding road). The whole Tambo Valley is just packed with history and fascinating tales!
Oh my goodness - the vision of dogs rolling in wombat poo ... guess the cube shape makes it just that much easier for them ;-)
> Anonymous, ha ha - love it!! Hang on while I dry my eyes.
Ok, serious now ... hmmm, you've obviously never seen a wombat's bum (bottom) up close because, if you had... well, every Aussie knows the answer to that one ;-)
Oh, and did you know that bushmen of the last century were among the first humans to appreciate the benefits of a square poo. Sometimes they wrote numbers on six sides and used them as dice in bush gambling games :O
Also, despite his stumpy frame, a wombat in full flight can hit speeds of 36km/h ... faster than an Olympic sprinter!
Clever little fellas our wombats who, btw, are closely related to bunyips :D)
> Blessings, beaut to have you along as well :D)
> Hazel, hi, yes, couldn't agree more - the wombats and all the wildlife that's here in our state, just knocks our socks off. We too unfortunately saw a roadkill on this trip too. They've just got to learn to stop ambling across the roads!
> Cherri, am glad you enjoyed it all too :D) They are whiskery and hairy. I always think they look quite cuddly, but wouldn't try it ;-)
> Kat, wow - that's some digging action all right!! They're incredibly strong aren't they :D)
> Laura, ha ha, so glad you popped over again to see our surprise for you!! I agree, their faces are so cute. It was a really interesting journey this one.. real happy you enjoyed it too.
hahahhah..... well, now I want to see a Wombat upside down please...... and , I have to say they do look so cute you would want to cuddle one.
ReplyDeleteand, I can definitely see the guys on the range... playing dice with the cube shaped dried up poo...... why not? ... quicker and easier than whittling some cubes. Our cowboys used to use big old cowpatties for frizbees and other game playing long before frisbees were invented......
thanks for the trip....always love a car ride and some wandering round lovely green places....
i've been thinking ALL day about what Anonymous said up there...and even a toddler knows you can't fit a square peg into a round hole. they teach them that at a very young age! ha!
ReplyDeleteSO...the only conclusion...is that if the wombat doesn't pat them into squares...then they must have a square...uh...orifice...
OH!!!!! hahahahaaa...i just went back up there and read your comment back to Anonymous! you're hysterical!! :))) (oh! and the word vrification i have to type here is DORBUT)
> BumbleVee, ha ha - oh, I love the image of fellas hurling old cowpats around. The mind boggles!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by and taking in the scenery :D)
> Laura, oh hang on... tears pouring again, LOL!!
First of all, I'm in awe at how you've batted all this info around and come up with a plausible case for a square orify ;-)
> This morning, at the breakfast table, MD and I had a delightful discussion about wombats, square pegs etc., so, of course, we couldn't resist the urge for some coffee fun ... have a look if you dare ;-) : Coffee Art, Wombat from a different angle
Cheers! Thanks to everyone for joining in the fun :D)
well...the jury is still out on how and why cubes eventually emanate from the Wombat orifice. I did a lot of Googling..and mostly found Wibbeldy Wobbledy Wombat doing Wibbeldy Wobbledy combat and other sites I hope don't come back to haunt me... because even I should not have seen those! ... they talk about the time of digestion..etc..but, that doesn't explain the shape at all...
ReplyDeleteand then..there was one hysterical scientific type explanation proposing that perhaps there are three triangular anal "rings" which with a certain pressure etc...etc...may give way to the production of cuboid faeces....blah, blah...and he thought it was worth an "Ignobel prize"...hahah...very funny actually, and perhaps... well, who knows...
And may I just say.... this is one of those fun things that I love to hit upon every so often. You know the ones I mean....those you can get so much fun mileage out of. Sometimes without even trying or realizing til later how it would go... .
I love your journey and My getting to take them with you!
ReplyDeleteLinda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/
Thank you for this post! I have family in Australia (lynn grove) but when we visited 8 years ago i didn't see no wombats. I like the fact that their scats are square!
ReplyDeletehehe
Leontien
> BumbleVee, my word, you've been busy ;-)
ReplyDeleteHa ha, I too was led into various strange places in the search of things wombat!! The theory about the extended length of food metabolization - well... a tad too boring for our purposes ;-)
I just loved the Ignobel Prize theory - well done Vee!! Great researching.
I do know what you mean about being one of those funny things - they just take on a life of their own all right!!
> Linda, thanks muchly ... I'm glad you enjoy it - never know where we'll end up sometimes. Will have to do an "off the beaten track post" one day... boy, we get into some funny spots ;-)
> Leontien, welcome to this blog too :D) Ha ha, yes, as you can read, a lot of us are trying to find out the "how?" behind the squareness. All opinions/theories accepted with great delight ;-)
What a productive trip Susan! I love those signs...they're extraordinary. Not like your normal 'Wolf Creek', or "Little Fossil Creek' like we have, and 'Brown's Crossing'. Haunted Stream and Devil's Backbone would surely make me reel and want to stop. You have such good information on them too.
ReplyDeleteI've heard of the Wombat, and it sounds like they're such pests. I bet Laura really enjoyed the 'scat' photo!
A fun post and the little town looked nice...everything was so scenic. Your road trips RULE!!!
> Susan, aren't they unique! Thank you. I couldn't resist the urge to find out all I could about the history :D)
ReplyDeleteIt was great fun doing this trip, it started out raining but ended up a perfect day - in every aspect! Great you could join us too Susan :D)