Monday, June 6, 2011

Just bumbling along .....

Yes, I'm still banging on about our trip to Canberra.
This post starts with us just having left the Australian Capital Territory, and bumbling along the Monaro Highway in New South Wales - making for home now!  



Arrive at Cooma (near the Snowy Mountains).  The rail line has officially been closed for many years... except for Sundays when a special carriage for train enthusiasts and tourists is put into service.






Cute trains. the men with the flags had fun too











We're on the outskirts of Nimmitabel now, and here is my photographic challenge.  Every time we pass, it's either raining or brilliant sunlight.  No good angles to photograph this clever work of art, but here goes:

I'll get in a little closer >>>>


Looks like baby bird has left its nest


Back in our home State, on the Cann Valley Highway.



 too busy looking at signage to drive!


Saw a little local landmark on the outskirts of Orbost, just off the Princes Highway.

.... in case you couldn't read the sign, here's a larger version ;-)


Finally, home is in the distance
Life is good

Cheers ~ and happy times



19 comments:

  1. Susan I agree life is good. Love the trip I just took with you. Love the art. You have very cool names and signs over there. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun trip from the comfort of my couch....

    interesting art....

    life is very good and it's always good to come home!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love your travelogue, and thank you so much for including photos of the Nimmitabel sculpture. I'm a real sucker for outdoor art.

    Life IS good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, Now that's what I call a "road trip!" Do y'all really have Roo Crossing signs? (I want one for my yard- :-)) The Road Art made me smile. Yeah, there really isn't any place on earth like home. Looks like you had a blast.
    Cherri

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is lovely country down there. The signs are a hoot.The sculpture is interesting. That little train looks like a rail motor. I used to travel to school on one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tree - is it aluminum? And the animal crossing sign - what is the little critter under the kangaroo?

    Lovely trip. And I love all those strange sounding names!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You for taking us on the trip with you, through your photo's...LOVE the art.Names on signs was hilarious
    ~~HUGS~~
    http://blessingtheelements-mi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful land. It's so nice to get to travel with you!!!

    Linda
    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous piece of sculpture. And you got a few good shots of it. Did I see lights down on the ground for uplighting at nite? That would be eerie. And the bus is cute. What fun to scour the countryside on a pleasant Sunday. The last street sign is very funny. Road trips are exhilarating and then you're glad to get home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. > Buttons, glad you enjoyed it, thank you, we take our town names for granted I guess, but, yes, they are cool! We live in the land of signs too I reckon :D)

    > Debbie, I love having couch trips as well ... you provide lots of interesting ones, which I really enjoy :D)

    > Vicki, you're welcome :D). I was determined to get these photos this time, come what may!

    > Cherri, thanks, we enjoy our travels indeed :D)
    Ha ha, yes, unfortunately, we really do need these Roo crossing signs! Oh, I shouldn't laugh. The roos have ghastly road habits which can end up in a bad way for all concerned. They jump out in front of cars quite unexpectedly. If jumping from a high shoulder of the road, they can go right through the windscreen. If that happens, the kicking and clawing is horrific to the human passengers and, of course, the roo also comes off badly.

    > Diane, yes, it's beaut country all right.
    Oh, what fun it must've been for you, travelling to school on one of those trains. Great memories. There's something about train travel isn't there. I used to love the steam train trips to visit our grandparents.

    > Mary, it's been like looking for hens' teeth, trying to find out info about that tree art. "By Kybean artist Jesse Graham, the 4m high by 2m wide sculpture has a timber trunk and a metal top, which houses ornate and delicate birds of the region". MD says it's most probably stainless steel rather than aluminium.
    The other sign shows a wombat - they're sturdy, strong, slow creatures who just amble across the road ... to their own detriment as well as motorists! I'm putting together a post on our trip to Ensay which includes a reference to wombats.

    > Blessings, you're welcome :D So glad you enjoyed it all.. I'm getting a thing for our signage - might as well enjoy it eh!!

    > Linda, hi ... welcome to the blog! Thank you, it's lovely to have you along as well :D)

    ReplyDelete
  11. > Susan, hi there... thank you, it's one of my favourite pieces of outdoor art. Yes, they are uplights... it'd be quite interesting to see it at night - will keep it in mind for another time. So pleased you enjoy it too :D)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed the trip ... some things I have to go see one day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. > Joan Elizabeth, glad you did ... always good to put another place on the list to see isn't it :D)

    ReplyDelete
  14. here i'm trying to get caught up...and working my way backwards...so i caught you towards the end of your bumble!! :))
    looks like a great road trip!! love the ART!!
    and i was going to ask the SAME question as someone else...what the heck is that animal on the sign under the kangaroo!! BUT...i read your reply!! NEVER would have guessed! i can't even picture what a WOMBAT looks like!! ha!
    thanks for the fun ride! :]

    ReplyDelete
  15. > Laura, hi! So glad you enjoyed the road trip and everything. Ha ha, the wombats are quite a law unto themselves. I'll get a move on with a post I'm working on which includes them. Thanks for your visit and hope things are good with you :D)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Susan,
    I love that country, it's just so big and quiet and calming. I've not been that way as we drive North so it was interesting to see. I think I might have some gypsy genes as I love the thought of a road trip and living with the bare essentials.
    Thanks,
    Vickixx

    ReplyDelete
  17. > Vicki, that's real nice you liked seeing down here in the Southern area. It's all so changeable too. Open farming and grazing country, dense eucalypt forests, temperate rainforests and lush dairy flats... all in the 5 hour journey!
    It's a good thing having some gypsy genes isn't it - we share them too. It means always loving the journeys as well as the destinations ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My sister's 19 year old daughter was hoping to do a road trip during her two week university break, but her friends all have vac jobs so aren't able to join her. My sister is so relieved as she was not in favour of the idea with the huge road 'trains' you have in Australia. Thankfully, she was let off the hook with having to say no, as it fizzled out before it came to that :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. > Desiree, hi there! I feel I've perhaps given the wrong impression of our roads over here. The roadtrains you refer to are mostly up in the North of Australia. We do have a fair amount of trucks on our roads, but there's rules and regulations in place. As in all situations you get people who do the right thing and others who don't. Certainly, when encountering roadtrains, you let them have the road - no arguments! It's the smart alecs (idiots), who choose to take them on. That's when the trouble starts. We've come across them many times in our 4WD and then later in our bus - no probs... in the remoter areas we just ate dust for a while :D) As for the "roo through the windscreen" comment, they're freak occurrences.
    I can certainly understand how a mother of a 19y.o. would have fears though - it's only natural. Australia is a beautiful, unique and exciting place, full of contrasts and incredible in its own right. I hope your sister's daughter can fulfil her dream of coming out here eventually - when the time is right for all concerned :-)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx