Friday, June 3, 2011

Trying to be quiet on a crisp Canberra morning

Thought I'd sneak out of bed quietly, camera in hand, and have a look around the garden before we drove home later in the day.

It's a beautiful crisp morning.
The blanket of fog covers many, many homes


Did I say quietly?

Blankie's out.... have a game grandma?


Ssssssssh, everyone's still asleep!

I'll just pop through and check out what's in the pool yard.....

Damn.... wet gate, hand slipped, gate banged.
Sssssssssh, 'praps no one heard.


3 generations of Gallardia here.... ah, such is life



Phew, it's okay - I think everyone's still asleep


Beautiful Camellias... they live by the hot water heater and thrive in the steam exhaust.
Now around to the front.  Careful of the gate.


Made it, bribed dogs with some nibbles ... good boys, no barking.

I love the gorgeous colours on this Eucalypt


Pretty dew droplets on the leaves

Now, I'll just carry Frog over for a little photo shoot... oops, dropped him.  Ssssssssh.  He's ok.
Dogs see me through the fence, bark bark - they want to play too.  More bribes. Ssssssssh



Hmmm, looks interesting across the street.  Guess I'll check them out too...



Can't resist Grevilleas



Crunch, crunch, back up the path, mission successful... plus, I never woke anyone... ha ha, yeah, right!!

The last of G's lavender greeting the sun

Hope you enjoyed my quiet little poke around the garden as much as I  ;-)


21 comments:

  1. Susan, what beautiful photos! I think my favorite is the first one of the fog...looks like a painting. The colors are very pastel.

    And the Eucalypt-I love Eucalyptus. I have made several hanging swags with it. Just love the fragrance when I walk by. I would love to have one, but don't know how they would do in this part of the country. Didn't know they were so colorful, and I looked it up on internet. Such pretty trees.
    All of the blooms are beautiful-of course, I haven't heard of some of them, but the lavendar sure grows abundant there.

    You did good with the dogs-what a resourceful morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a sweet morning walk...

    i really felt as though i was right beside you!!

    awesome photo's!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What, no spiderwebs covered in dew? I haven't been on a morning photo taking venture in a while and thoroughly enjoyed joining yours :). Lovely clear pics. Lucky you took dog treats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, so enjoyed your morning stroll. What a delightful way to wake up. So peaceful, building inner strength.:-) Loved the fact that puppy has a "blankie"...OMG! LOL LOL LOL!!!!!
    All the pics are perfect. Just gorgeous surroundings in every direction. Thank you for sharing such great pics.
    Cherri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, that first picture of the fig in Canberra has bought back memories. I'm a Canberra girl from way back. Grew up there and went to scholl there. I used to go and play in the grounds of Government House as I grew up in Yarralumla.
    Those foggy morning went on until late in the afternoon, lift for an hour and come rolling back in. Brr...it'a a cold place in winter with the wind blowing ober the Brindabellas. Are you still visiting with your family? Maa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, your photo of a crisp morning is absolutely gorgeous, it makes you feel that time has stopped, so peaceful...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wintery morning walks are quite special. I think my clambering about it quieter than my snoring so don't bother sneaking around much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful the fog one took my breath away. You make me laugh. B

    ReplyDelete
  9. We can't grow those plants here! I'm enchanted with the grevillea. What are those blue berries in the pic above the camellias?

    Is Cranberra close to the sea? I'll have to google it!

    Lovely photos Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your post of your morning stroll.
    ~~HUGS~~
    http://blessingtheelements-mi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved tiptoeing around the garden with you :) It really was heaps of fun! You have such a gift for taking something 'simple & ordinary' and turning it into something really magical, Susan! We must do this again sometime, please!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowie!! Thanks, everyone for your delightful comments, much appreciated:

    > Susan, the fog always give an ethereal feel doesn't it. I kicked myself that I didn't take a photo of the same spot once the fog had cleared (just for a vista comparison).
    I really love the Eucalypts too. That's nice how you have them in your swags - the smell is so fresh and uplifting. Ha Ha, this brings to mind a memory of my "going-out-to-work-days". Whenever I'd have a cold I'd pop some eucalyptus oil in a burner and have it on my desk in my office. It'd invariably drift out along the hall to other offices... I got [laughingly]accused of burning my "hippy oils" ;-)
    Yes, it's good lavender-growing country. There are many little lavender co-ops that have sprung up all around that area.

    > Debbie, I always enjoy the morning walks around there because it's relatively flat. Didn't go far this time, but fun nonetheless!

    > Robyn, ha ha, no spiders and webs... only because I didn't see any though lol ;-)

    > Cherri, I was hoping you saw the doggie pics, knowing your love of them :D)
    Now, puppy in the picture looks so innocent and sweet sitting on his blankie doesn't he? Nooooo, if I hadn't put it up on top of the kennel after taking the pic, said blankie would've been shredded within an inch of its life by the time I got back from my roam!! Both doggies love to sleep on a blankie, but, this little [huge] puppy loves to eat them more - so cheeky and cute ;-)

    > Maa, I love that my post has brought back so many happy memories for you :D) What a great place for you to play in... those grounds are superb! The Botanical Gardens are something else as well.
    When our GC were littlies, we'd always take them to the annual "Grandparents Day" in Canberra. We really loved it, and they did too. Everything was free... entertainment, food and drinks.
    We're back home now. I took so many pics while away, am finding ideas for a lot of posts.

    > DeeBee, am so glad you felt the crispness along with me. It's all so quiet and nice - ha, except when I disturbed the doggies ;-)

    > JoanElizabeth, ha ha, love it! Funny that... I've always held the belief that women don't snore - only men ;-)

    > Buttons, I wouldn't have taken that particular photo, only I make myself do a complete look around and up and down before I leave a spot... invariably, something pops up. I love foggie scenes too - they're special ;-)

    > Mary, good on you... Grevilleas were made to enchant I'm sure! Those little curly grevilles just get me every time!
    Sorry, don't know what the berries are - just some neighbouring ones who decided to be friendly and hang out in the pool yard :D)
    Canberra would be a couple hundred kms from the sea. If you're googling it, check out the annual Floriade Festival - so beautiful!

    > Blessings, you're welcome *grin*. A simple pleasure, and I don't think there's a human on earth who doesn't benefit from such an activity is there. Too cold for barefoot that morning ;-)

    > Desiree, am so pleased you enjoyed it as well Des. It was when I first started following you around your garden walks that I realised how pleasurable it can be to put in photos :D)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello there Susan, first time to your blog and it's been a fun visit. Thank you for the lovely tour around your garden this morning. That was great and I enjoyed all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Susan
    Seeing your photos brought an old saying into my mind - 'You must have rocks in your head' to be out and about in Canberra that early in the morning in Winter lol Seriously tho' they are lovely photos - I especially like the one of the Grevillea. Those pink tips look so soft and gentle
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. > Denise, hi there! A big welcome to my blog, really happy you've joined us :D)
    Glad you enjoyed my little garden ramble - it always surprises me what I can find.

    Cathy, ha ha... well, we're back home in East Gippsland and, boy, just as chilly this morning I have to say - brrrrr :D) A nice hot shower soon fixed that right up!
    Oooooh yes, Cathy, I can't get enough of the Grevilleas - those pink tips are so delicate. A sight for sore eyes I always reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this post. Well written and gives me a giggle, Lovely pics too. I'm sure you mean a freezing morning not a crisp one. This is Canberra you're talking about. Then a Victorian might feel crisp while a Queenslander feels freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. > Diane, hello, and thank you very much. So glad you liked them all.
    Ha ha... yep, only crisp - so far ;-)
    Bye for now and have fun on your lovely trip - will miss your visits and look forward to your return. Cheers :D)

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha!! that was fun...
    i think you sneak around like me...
    bang! ouch! ssssshh....

    wonderful pictures...i really enjoyed this early morning wander...
    it was so peaceful...and quiet...i could even hear the occasional...snore...from inside....

    ReplyDelete
  19. > Laura, lol, yes, love it ... heavy sneakers! Good intentions but....!
    Thank you, I did enjoy it all :D)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh I love that shot of what I think is golden Diosma, red Nandina and lavender foliage in the neighbours garden! striking isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. > Tammy, thank you, yes, when I looked across the street it was that combination of colours that struck me immediately. Easy care plants with maximum effect!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx