Awards:
Am real new to the subject of blog awards and tags. I've procrastinated long enough, so onwards and into it.
Am real new to the subject of blog awards and tags. I've procrastinated long enough, so onwards and into it.
My first knowledge of them was from Lavi on her blogspot Pawprints, ears and a tennis ball. She was given a "Kickass Commentor Award" which was well deserved. Her blogs are a delight to visit and I admire her inventiveness.
She left an open invitation for her friends, followers and bystanders to feel free to take it with no obligations. In so doing, she listed each of her followers, of which I was included, along with some kind comments for each of us, as well as links to each of our blogs. It's for that reason, I include her award in this post. Thanks Lavi :D)
**********
Buttons of Buttons Thoughts was given the "Stylish Blogger Award", which is most apt. Buttons writes with a style truly her own and creates inspiration in many others (myself included) on a daily basis.
Along with others, this award was sent my way with a generous mention of my blog.
Attached to this award is a requirement to spill the beans on 7 things you may not know about me, and then to pass it on to other bloggers, so here goes:
1. I hold the firm belief that women do not snore.
2. I am a pillow dribbler (euwwww... too much information? just playing the game ;-) )
3. After seeing a recent programme on cruelty in abbattoirs, I reached my tipping point and am now, for all intents and purposes, a 6 day vegetarian (more on that in a future post).
4. I use terrible swear words (in my thoughts), sometimes, when things go wrong.
5. I'm incapable of having biscuits in the house for more than a day. If they're there, I eat them.
6. I am frugal only to a point. I threw out a pair of sneakers yesterday, that were barely a year old, because they were covered in dog 'business'... couldn't stomach the thought of cleaning them.
7. When it's my turn to make the bed, I give my side a head start with the doona!
oh, and, because I can, I'd like to add an 8th. I feel really awkward with these kind of things, especially the part where I have to single out other bloggers for Awards. I love having each and every one of my blogfriends. Please keep an eye on my sidebar though, as I proudly display ALL the blogs I love to visit and with whom I exchange comments.
oh, and, because I can, I'd like to add an 8th. I feel really awkward with these kind of things, especially the part where I have to single out other bloggers for Awards. I love having each and every one of my blogfriends. Please keep an eye on my sidebar though, as I proudly display ALL the blogs I love to visit and with whom I exchange comments.
So, to keep the banner moving, I'm now passing the award on to :
Vicki (and Alan) of Eucalypt Habitat for their love, and outstanding photographs, of everything Australian.
Susan of My Texas Gardens for all the different little gardening hints Susan weaves throughout her joyful posts.
Cathy of Cathy@ Home for her love of family and gardening and the warm way she presents these.
Desiree of Driftwood Ramblings for her descriptive and heartwarming narration throughout her inspiring posts.
Debbie of It's All About Purple was given "The Versatile Blogger Award" ... versatility is Debbie's middle name. One of her recent exploits have included hanging out in a balloon way up there and she was afraid of heights! Cool!
Anyway, Debbie has passed the award on to 4 others one of which was to my blog with some very kind comments.
Ok, between the above 7 things and the below answers to questions - that's about all I can think of to reveal about myself, so I shall pass on this Award to 5 very versatile and entertaining bloggers:
To BumbleVee of The "Bearister" Bookcase for her many and varied talents in the way she brings her bears and dolls to life, and in the generous way she shares those skills with everyone.
To Deb of Ramblings of a Square Peg in a Round Hole for her vitality and all the different ways she brings her views of life to her blog.
To Diane of Adventure Before Dementia for her wide ranging posts on absolutely everything!
To Hazel of Hazel Dene for her sense of the ridiculous - sidesplitting humour, blended with a love of our land.
To Joan Elizabeth of Sweet Wayfaring who has given hours of total enjoyment with her travels throughout Australia, documented with all sorts of beautiful photographs.
Tagging:
Mary of My Life as a Writer has tagged me and, like her I'll join in the spirit of the thing; play along with the game and answer 6 pre-selected answers.
Vicki (and Alan) of Eucalypt Habitat for their love, and outstanding photographs, of everything Australian.
Susan of My Texas Gardens for all the different little gardening hints Susan weaves throughout her joyful posts.
Cathy of Cathy@ Home for her love of family and gardening and the warm way she presents these.
Desiree of Driftwood Ramblings for her descriptive and heartwarming narration throughout her inspiring posts.
**********
Debbie of It's All About Purple was given "The Versatile Blogger Award" ... versatility is Debbie's middle name. One of her recent exploits have included hanging out in a balloon way up there and she was afraid of heights! Cool!
Anyway, Debbie has passed the award on to 4 others one of which was to my blog with some very kind comments.
Ok, between the above 7 things and the below answers to questions - that's about all I can think of to reveal about myself, so I shall pass on this Award to 5 very versatile and entertaining bloggers:
To BumbleVee of The "Bearister" Bookcase for her many and varied talents in the way she brings her bears and dolls to life, and in the generous way she shares those skills with everyone.
To Deb of Ramblings of a Square Peg in a Round Hole for her vitality and all the different ways she brings her views of life to her blog.
To Diane of Adventure Before Dementia for her wide ranging posts on absolutely everything!
To Hazel of Hazel Dene for her sense of the ridiculous - sidesplitting humour, blended with a love of our land.
To Joan Elizabeth of Sweet Wayfaring who has given hours of total enjoyment with her travels throughout Australia, documented with all sorts of beautiful photographs.
**********
Tagging:
Mary of My Life as a Writer has tagged me and, like her I'll join in the spirit of the thing; play along with the game and answer 6 pre-selected answers.
If you could be any historical or current character who would you be?
Dame Nellie Melba.
Name an interesting fact about yourself.
I love to eat Clinkers at the same time as Spearmint Leaves
If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would it be?
Forced removal of babies from unmarried mothers (I can't begin to imagine how it would feel to lose your child)
Which character traits annoy you?
Meanness, spite, lack of empathy, cruelty and speaking with a mouth full of food.
Name one thing that you would change in yourself?
Nothing ! I am what I am. I'm happy in my own skin - warts and all. Those who love me wouldn't ask me to change, just as I wouldn't ask it of them.
What do you consider your biggest achievement?
Our kids.
So now I have to tag some others:
Ali of Mud Pie for her wit and wisdom.
Robyn of Weight for Age Handicap for the tenacity she shows in her quest to better her health and plus the good sense tips she shares.
Ms Lottie of The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady for her fun on the farm and beautiful quilting.
Kat of Temperate Tendril for her sense of humour and love of gardening.


Susan thank you for the kind words. I will be checking out all the blogs you mentioned. I already enjoy some of them.
ReplyDeleteI am happy to know more about you. It is really hard to imagine you being who you said you are. I am just kidding. We should meet in person someday we would get along quite well. B
Thanks for the mention and kind words. Everything you said about my blog could have been written about your own. I love your point of view.
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Deb
so happy to see and read this!!
ReplyDeleteit is super fun to see what folks write about in their "7"!!
thanks for the very kind shout out, i can't wait to scan through your favorites!!!
Hi Susa thanks for the award and for all of those interesting links to explore.
ReplyDeleteI love having some new blogs to browse! Thanks. Some of the slang has me puzzled though. What is a "head start with the doona"? What are Clinkers? And, forced removal of babies from unmarried mothers? Tell me they don't do that in Australia!
ReplyDeleteI thoroughly enjoyed your delightfully candid answers, Susan :) But, I'm going to be like Mary and pose the doona and clinker questions...please do enlighten us :)
ReplyDeleteThank you most sincerely for the flattering 'shout out' and for presenting me with the Stylish Blogger Award...I'm truly honoured...however, I have bad news for you...I'm going to decline acceptance (very sweetly!,) as I operate an Award free blog (think I'd better make a statement to that effect on my blog?). I do however LOVE seeing everyone else enjoying their awards and entering into the spirit of things :)
I'm especially thrilled for you, as I think you thoroughly deserve your awards! You write one of the very nicest blogs I follow!
Big hug,
Des xoxo
> Buttons, hi there.. that's nice, now you know some of my secrets, you still came back :D) Thank you for your kind words.
ReplyDelete> Deb, that's a really lovely thing to say, thank you :D)
> Debbie, it is interesting isn't it... a bit hard to put them together though!! The choosing of some over others is the worst bit. I still feel awkward about that aspect, and have thought up a way to deal with it in each of my future posts ;-)
> Joan Elizabeth, you're welcome.. thanks for popping over.
> Mary, hi there. I'm never sure what I should explain, my words all just come naturally to me... so I appreciate your feedback.
Well, 'head start with the doona' just means that I put more of the doona over on my side of the bed, rather than giving us equal amounts of it. By the end of the night, after MD's tossing and turning, I still have a reasonable amount of doona on my side! Sneaky eh ;-)
Clinkers are lollies (sweets, candy?) they're a sort of honeycomb covered in chocolate. Spearmint leaves are just green jelly spearmint-flavoured leaf-shaped lollies, rolled in sugar. (Whoah, I think I just put on a kg with the explanation alone.. ha ha!). I pop a clinker and a spearmint leaf in my mouth at the same time - yum!
Unfortunately, yes, from the 1940s right through to the 1980s more than 200,000 Australian children were taken from their unmarried mothers. These women (and, in a lot of cases, their families) were pressured, and even forced, to give up their children for State sanction adoptions. As shameful and terrible an act as imposed on our indigenous people whose children were also taken away (referred to as the Stolen Generation).
> Desiree, thank you for your kind words. I do appreciate your award-free choice, most certainly.
I've put an explanation in my reply to Mary's comment as to clinkers and doonas .. ha ha, hope that helps ;-) Cheers!
I still puzzled over the doona, but guess it must be what we call a duvet?
ReplyDelete> Desiree, ah.. I misunderstood what you asked. Yes, a doona would be the same as a duvet or a continental quilt. Our doonas are filled with either feathers, wool or polyester and they have a washable outer covering which we call a doona cover. Just to confuse matters, we also call them quilt sets :D)
ReplyDeleteSusan, congratulations on your blog awards...you truly deserve the recognition for your fun stories and photos that are filled with great adventure, and knowledgeable information.
ReplyDeleteThank you for passing your "stylish blogger award" on to me. My garden blog is so young yet, and I'm really glad you enjoy it. I will capture the award and put it on there, and try to reveal 7 things, whew! You know, I think it's so great that we can express our appreciation and enjoyment from reading others life stories and sharing the things we all love. Thank you so much Susan!
> Susan, thank you muchly, and you're most welcome.
ReplyDeleteI love how we all have so many ways of approaching the same subject - diversity rocks. See you over at yours :D)
Congratulations on your blog awards, Susan. Much deserved. Loved your "seven (eight) things" responses.
ReplyDeleteI am truly honoured that you have awarded Alan and I the Stylish Blogger Award. You are quite right: we do love all things Australian. :)
> Vicki, thanks very much :D)
ReplyDeleteAs I've said to you previously, it was your blog which opened my eyes to the possibilities of the fun I could have with blogging as well as with photography, all in a uniquely Australian way.
*mrfffrremmff* ..oh sorry, I was speaking through a mouthful of timtam. ;)
ReplyDeleteThank you for the tag!
> Kat, lol, you're very welcome :D)
ReplyDeleteOh... darn you girl! You said the TIM TAM word - it's 10.37 at night... where on earth can we get a packet of them now .... t h a n k y o o Kat ;-)