Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Update - Weird Fungus Identified

Seastar Stinkhorn
(Anthurus archeri)
Update to my Post on Monday  "Weird or What! and this is not a joke"


Dr Tom May, Senior Mycologist, Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, has very kindly provided all of the following information.
He feels that our ‘weird’ find is a Seastar Stinkhorn (Anthurus archeri), fungus. He describes the Stinkhorn family as an assemblage of bizarre forms sharing strongly-smelling fruit-bodies that usually produce a slimy mass of millions of tiny spores.  

Our specimen was a bit old, and Dr May wrote When young the Anthurus has slime along the arms (rather than at the base) and I think there is a little bit of slime still on the armsMaybe you will see some more specimens - they often occur in troops. The tiny insects are most likely springtails (collembola) - these are often found on fungi. Great to see fungi in blog.”   

Diane wasn’t the only person to liken this strange form to something from outer space. Dr May wrote, in a recent article for a forthcoming issue of Wild Magazine, that Bushwalkers, upon finding the multi armed fruit-body of the Stinkhorn  bursting from its egg-like sac, could be forgiven for thinking that miniature aliens had landed!

The ‘face’ which showed in our photo is part of a hollow stem which, at maturity, can be up to 10cm long. 

Stinkhorns feed on dead organic matter and, in so doing, they contribute to nutrient recycling. Wood chip mulch in urban areas is a ready food source. Also, the slimy spores of stinkhorns rely on animals for dispersal.  This information, from Dr May, explains how we were lucky enough to have our very own stinkhorn.  We’d spread wood chip mulch  throughout our garden at the beginning of this year – much to the delight of many animals, who’ve dug in and scattered it quite diligently… and, most likely have played host to those slimy Stinkhorn spores!

It was also interesting to read that Stinkhorns are found worldwide, but are especially diverse in Australia.  Dr May  concluded with “It is such an unusual fungus, and always interesting to see. “


We were delighted to receive such a wonderfully informative, and quick, response to our query by an obviously dedicated and knowledgeable Scientist.

Dr May's current projects are:
. Ausfungi – a catalogue of Australian Fungi
. Interactive tools for identification of macrofungi  - see link below


For anyone interested in identifying fungi, go to Australia-wide Fungimap Scheme, a mapping project for fungi. Details of how to join and to submit records are detailed there) 




12 comments:

  1. Mystery solved and now you have me wondering about the assorted fungi's growing around our farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so nice that the scientist took time out to explain what you have found. My hat is off to him or her. Cool fungus I am glad to know more about it. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, what an amazing fungus you have in your own yard! You know, fact is so much stranger than fiction can ever get! lol.
    BTW, the other pic of the little face looked just like Donald Duck to me :>)
    rofl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, after I saw this creature I got to thinking and remembered a few years ago Karo and I saw a mass very similar to this, but mushier. It was in the dirt near a flower bed with Hibiscus and Petunias. We assumed that some animal got sick there-it was so odd looking. I will remember this in case we see another one. So interesting, and great to find someone who could identify it for you.

    Also, I'm trying to start a garden blog. I have it set up, but I can't figure out how to feature it on my current blog like yours. For now I just have a photo and link to the new blog. Can you tell me how you got your blogs in a row so nicely with the corresponding pictures?

    I still have my garden page, thank goodness, because your wonderful comments did not move over to my new blog with the post and I don't want to lose them. I will have to figure that out too.

    Congratulations on such a great find-funny that the creature is pink...ours was too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~ Robyn, yes, it was beaut to have some questions answered. We'll be keeping our eyes open for more now!
    I've just added a link at the bottom of my post - where fungi can be identified.

    ~ Buttons, yes, Dr May was most obliging. He sent the info through in several emails and an attachment.

    ~ Cherri, it intrigued us right from the start... such a strange occurrence which we'd never seen before. Obviously from the wood chips! Will keep our eyes open as Dr May said there'll possibly be troops of them - ooooooh shades of "Day of the Triffids" :D)

    ~ Susan Oh My Goodness!!!! Reading about the mushy mess you and Karo found - that is exactly what I stumbled upon (on my wood chipped area) a couple of months' ago. Yes! and it was mottled pink and I too thought it'd come from a wandering cat or dog - ha ha, I cleaned it up muttering curses all the while. However, it was probably a sort of fungi - wow, I'm going to do some more research. Thank you for mentioning that Susan :D)

    Making a new blog is the best way I found. I gave up on 'Pages' because each time I edited, the pictures would corrupt. Anyway, to get your blog sitting in the sidebar:
    Go in to Design, then Add Gadget, choose Link List, then in 'Title' type in whatever, ie 'My Other Blog(s)'. In New Site URL insert the http:// thingy of the blog you want to display, Save, and position it on your sidebar as you would any other addition. Please don't hesitate if you've any other questions about this Susan.
    btw, don't think twice about losing my comments ... I'll look forward to seeing your new garden blog :D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~ Susan, I gave you the wrong info in my above comment .... so sorry!! I'm a silly thing at times *blush, blush*. Go in to Design, Add Gadget but, instead of Link List, it should've been Blog List. I realised my mistake when out shopping this morning. After a bit of self-telling off, I also realised you'd have sorted it out.. and you have. It's a lovely blogspot: MyTexasGardens Cheers :D)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful feedback on this fascinating fungus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I managed to get my KardKorner blog listed on my new blog. But, I never did master getting the new blog listed on my KardKorner blog. So I just put one of my photos and the URL so you can click on the photo and go to the Garden Blog. And you're right-it was kind of messy adding to the page, so I thought a separate blog would be better.

    Thanks for your advice Susan! And here's hoping we find more pink mushy organisms. It's funny that a slug out of its shell was right up next to your creature...you could see his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~ Lavi, it's a first for a few of us too I'm thinking!
    Thank you for your award, your thoughts are much appreciated :D)

    ~ Thanks very much Desiree.

    ~ Susan, your photo worked out real well too... it's another fun way to list blogs or posts in our sidebars. I did the same for My Virtual Library and Froggie posts.

    LOL, the slug apparently enjoyed a bit of weird fungi for lunch!

    Here's to finding more weird things in our own backyards.. cameras at the ready :D)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~ No doubt because of Blogger's recent problems. A lot of comments had been lost. However, they're still in my email which won't re-publish, so I've copied and pasted them:

    ~ Desiree: Wonderful feedback on this fascinating fungus.

    ~ Lavi: I've never seen such a strange fungus. It does look like it's from outer space and I'm glad you also gave us so much information about it.

    I also wanted to offer you a little award.

    ~ Texas Susan: Well, I managed to get my KardKorner blog listed on my new blog. But, I never did master getting the new blog listed on my KardKorner blog. So I just put one of my photos and the URL so you can click on the photo and go to the Garden Blog. And you're right-it was kind of messy adding to the page, so I thought a separate blog would be better.

    Thanks for your advice Susan! And here's hoping we find more pink mushy organisms. It's funny that a slug out of its shell was right up next to your creature...you could see his eyes!

    ~ Thank you very much for your comments... it was certainly a funny little fungi. We'll be on the lookout around our yard for more! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank goodness for that. I was beginning to think the aliens had landed. Pink Martians? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. > Vicki, LOL! Yes, it most certainly looked like some other life form!! Was great to find out all about it :D)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx