Monday, May 2, 2011

Home Made - an Aussie Pav

A Real Aussie Pavlova
This recipe makes a crisp outer meringue with a marshmallowy centre.


Pavlova with strawberries and fruit salad

Ingredients:
4 egg whites (5, if eggs are small)
pinch salt
1 cup castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon cornflour

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (356 Fahrenheit) (not fan-forced, Bake mode only)
~ line a flat oven tray with either silver foil* or baking paper
~ set out the vanilla essence, cornflour and vinegar (don't want any delays when time comes to add them)



Place egg whites and pinch of salt in clean dry 
mixing bowl and beat full speed until 
soft peaks appear 


Gradually beat in sugar (beating well between
each addition of a heaped Tablespoon)
until dissolved and stiff peaks are formed and
until mixture looks smooth and silky like satin


Once all the sugar has been beaten in,
add the vanilla essence, vinegar and cornflour
and fold into mixture as shown in next pic


Using a bowl scraper, gently fold in the
vanilla essence, vinegar and cornflour
(only long enough for the vanilla essence
to disappear)


Turn out the meringue on to covered oven tray



Spread out meringue, with the back of a large
spoon, to the desired shape
(bearing in mind the pavlova will slightly enlarge
in height and width as it cooks)


When placing in the oven, turn temp down to
120 deg celsius (248 F) and cook for 90 minutes,
then turn down to as low as oven can go for
a further 10 minutes
DO NOT open the oven door.
Leave to cool in closed oven, preferably overnight
or at very least until oven is totally cool


Finished Pavlova ready for whipped cream, sliced
stawberries, kiwi fruit, banana,
passionfruit, fruit salad, peppermint flaky bar...
any or all or a combo - enjoy :D

A few more tips:
* ~ if lining oven tray with foil, just before turning meringue out on to it, slightly moisten top of foil with cold water (stops sticking afterwards)

~ make sure egg whites are at room temperature before beating

~ sugar must be thoroughly beaten until dissolved before another portion of sugar is added.... shoving in a whole lot at the end and beating for a long time won't work, believe me, I tried it once when I was in a hurry. The undissolved sugar oozes out of the bottom of the cooked pav and results in a sticky mess (although it still tastes ok!)

~ the pavlova can be made well in advance if, once cool, it's stored in an air-tight plastic container.  I've kept one for as long as 5 days - it probably would've lasted longer but members of our family can sniff out a pav a mile away!!

Enjoy, Susan :D)

15 comments:

  1. The first time I had pavlova was in the 70's. My folks had a New Zealand exchange student the year my sister was in her final school year. I was home from 'varsity for a short break and Jos the exchange student treated us to this dessert. She told us it was a traditional NZ favourite at Christmas time. She covered a brick of ice-cream with the meringue prior to baking it and once it had turned golden served it surrounded by fresh fruit and cream. It was delicious and miraculously to me at the time, the ice-cream did not melt in the oven, which I was convinced it would have! I have never tried to make pavlova myself and my husband loves meringue so I guess I should! Thanks for your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~ Desiree, what a fabulous treat for you all. Jos would have obviously been quite delighted at your reaction to her special dessert too.

    I've been making this pavlova now for many years. It needs to be done with good electric beaters as there's a lot of whipping to be done over a long period of time.

    I hope you give it a go Desiree, it's a sure no-fail too.... if the sugar doesn't dissolve completely, or if cracks develop in it - no problem, just hide it all with cream and eat it that day or the next. It'll always taste delicious - I've never had any refusals ;-)

    BTW, if your husband loves meringues... make him one - it makes grown men weep with delight (MD will attest)... plus, he will worship the ground upon which you walk!!! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan I have never had this before but I sure do want some now. I think I may give this a try even though I am trying to lose a pound or two for my upcoming high school reunion. Not really I just am a typical girl want to be taller, blonder, and richer to impress mean old classmates. LOL just kidding. Looks good thank you. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~ You said it Bumblevee, sheer decadence ;-)

    ~ Buttons, here's a good tip for when you want to have pavlova without the worry of putting on some weight .... eat it very quickly! LOL!
    I've never gone to a reunion, but I have had to meet up with people from years' ago, so I can empathise with your trepidation. However, I've a feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised with how everything turns out. Have a lovely reunion Buttons :D)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pav looks great Susan! Your comment today made me realise I don't share enough of what it is I love about Canberra in its Autumn colour! If you have a look at my pages on the garden blog you will see a video of a rose robin drying off in one of our gorgeous maples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is exacty the same recipe as I use ... I think I got it off the Pavlova tray back in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~ Hello Tammy and thank you. I'll go and check your garden blog shortly... the rose robin is so sweet.

    ~ Joan Elizabeth, that was when I started making my pavs too ... a reliable dinner party dessert, and they've never gone out of fashion have they!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummmmm I'm coming to your house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~ Diane, strawberries? bananas? kiwi fruit? or 'the lot'... what topping do you want? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, MY! will definitely be bookmarking this recipe. thank you, Susan!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I've never heard of this. meringue is something we put on top of cream pies here (and banana pudding). I think there is something like that called a baked Alaska? At any rate it sounds good! And the name is it related to the guy with dog? I'm certainly having the same response!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ~ Dmarie, you're quite welcome... give it a try :-)

    ~ Mary, yes, we also make a lemon meringue pie (haven't made one for years .... yum). Would never have thought about it on a banana pudding - oh joy and bliss ;-)
    Yes, the baked Alaska, I think, is similar to the dessert Desiree describes in her comment above. Delicious sounding.... I've never tried that.
    Ha ha, love your pavlova 'response'!! Mary, As far as I know, the dessert was created in honour of the famous Russian ballerina, Anne Pavlova, when she visited Australia and New Zealand in the 1920s.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ~ Blogger had deleted the following comment during its recent troubles. I've copied it from my email:

    ~ Vicki Tyley "Yum, yum and YUM!"

    ~ mmmmm have to agree with you Vicki, thanks ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx