Saturday, April 30, 2011

While on my bloggie break (part one)

Cherri asked me what I did while on my recent bloggie break ... so, here goes, guess you could call it a lot of this n that  :D)










First of all, I wanted to take a couple of nice pictures to frame and show off put in the guest room. That meant a lot of experimenting and learning to drive the new camera and its two lenses.  
That took ages, delightful ages I might add! So, after a lot of sorting and deciding, I settled on these two.
I'm quite thrilled to be able to slowly increase my photo skills.  MD quite literally dragged me into a Photographics shop on one of our trips to Lakes Entrance, and asked the fellow to show me what he's got (cameras, that is).  I froze... anything that had SLR written on just made me do that, however, now, I'm so glad he did!



















Then, something I'd been putting off for ages .... cleaning the venetians  - ugh, what a job... hate it. I'd tried doing them just a couple of slats every few days ... nah, didn't work. Thought for a few mad months that if I ignored them they might kind of clean themselves - no such luck. Think I'd only done the first 5 slats when the novelty wore off and I decided to take a picture instead.

Got back into it and soon they were nice enough to hang our cards on (we keep our cards hanging for ages, I love to see them). 
That only left the venetians in the bathroom and laundry - see... while ever I had blogging to do, it was much preferable to cleaning the venetians ! LOL


Onto sewing now.  We'd finished the bean bags, but I'd been wanting to design some simple bags with handles that would be easy on my shoulders and neck... ta dah !


First, is my shopping bag - these colours look nice with jeans. The way I've attached the handles stops the top gaping open.  Also, if I start to feel a strain on my shoulders, I've made the length of the bag such that my hand can  can ease the weight off a bit by holding the underside.  Real pleased with the result too.
I've made a good start on some others as well.


Next is my gardening bag... to be honest, it didn't start out as that, but kind of evolved.  The super wide strap is so comfy to carry around the various pruning tools as I work my way through the garden. 


Hmmm, am sure I've seen that material somewhere before ;-)


It was also time for repairs to the shoulder heat pack I'd made for MD (as modelled by Panda below) - it was leaking wheat all over his chair.
Rebel jumped at the chance of modelling the other style of wheat packs.  
All ready for Winter.  A couple of these and a fleecy rug each... no need for the heater to be used quite as much.




Another long awaited job was a thorough cleaning of the fish tank - that meant everything, stones, plants, filter, the lot. 
For a few days I'd been noticing one fish in particular floating on its back - righting itself - then on its back again.  I was sure it was a goner and felt guilty for putting off that job. Amazingly, it came good again... they almost never do. Not that it's happened before..um 




Thought I'd break this post into two.  The next part will follow soon.
(I guess this will show up twice in the Reader now, but I'd left a gap at the end of the post a mile long... just had to fix it up :O  )



16 comments:

  1. You have been busy. The new camera will keep you learning forever. Mine is nearly 2 years old and I'm still learning. The framed photos are lovely and your shoulder bags. That gardening one is a good idea. I'm always loosing my secateurs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear those sound like the type of jobs I ignore. I've solved one problem by removing the window coverings all together ... I like the light and view of the garden. As for the fish tank ,.. I've been neglecting my fish ponds for years and they are all full of aquatic weeks. What's another year or two I think. Great to have you back and with a new camera too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had a most productive time...goodness! You weren't away THAT long to have accomplished all of that, surely? Just shows how much time blogging takes up, hey?

    I LOVE your two framed pictures...absolutely stunning! You've certainly mastered your new camera superbly. Love your bags, but feel ever so cheated you cut off your head!!! Not fair!!! We want to see more!!!

    We also have window blinds in preference to drapes (curtains) & I know JUST what you mean about cleaning them. It's a time consuming, painstaking job and I too put it off and put it off, but eventually it must get done! Then I promise myself I'll dust them routinely...I start off for a while then soon lapse back into my old ways :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read through the comments on your last post to see if there was any further news re your MD's bee sting...shame, it really seems to have been nasty (as we all expected it to be having been the eye tissue)...I do hope he's much improved today and feeling happier. Give him a big hug! xo

    Thought your header was new! Yay! So it's not that I'm not observant :) Your photography is really benefitting from all the new skills you've been learning. Most impressive! You're a far quicker learner than I am...I'm still plodding where you're already sprinting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been really busy these couple of weeks. I love the photos, your photo skills are getting better an better.

    Hmm, if you have plastic venetians (like we used to), the easiest way to clean them is to take them off, put them in the bath tub and scrub them off with a soft brush and a bit of detergent. I had to clean half a dozen of these at once and they went from grey to white fast.

    I'm glad Scorp made a nice button for you. I gave him my code for displaying it to send it to you. This way, if anyone wants to "grab the button" and display it on their sites, they can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~ Diane, I'm thoroughly enjoying the camera - really stretching the grey cells too (can only be for the good!). Oh, LOL, losing secateurs and assorted gardening tools is the bane of my life. I get so wrapped up in what I'm doing, put it down and then wander off, so I sympathise with you! The bag seems to work.

    ~ Joan Elizabeth, yes, we like the light etc. Where I have venetians is overlooked by neighbours, however, I think curtains will make a nice change sometime soon ;-) Ha ha, yes, if your fish are alive and doing well - why disturb them. Ours down in the garden are fine too, water snails seem to do the trick there.

    ~ Desiree, yes, reading it, it sounds like I've been a busy bee ... ooops, I musn't mention the 'b' word for a while ;-) Oh I love those good intentions - I'm like that as well. Just a quick something here and there each day and it'll all be done - ha ha :D) I'll happily pass on your hug to MD thank you. Overall, he's a lot better tonight - the swelling has gone down by one third now.

    ~ Lavi, that certainly sounds like a good hint for those venetians - I'll try it on the others :D) Yes, the button is beautiful.. just sorting out the code, something's not quite right. It's most likely the internet connection. We're on satellite and have a fair bit of trouble.

    ~ Thank you all for your comments. They're always appreciated as is the encouragement you bring in regard to my photography. It's turning into a real passion and I have a lot of fun with it. Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone :D)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, Oh my goodness--you have been a busy lady! Love the pics and your photos are delightful, especially framed:-) The wide strap shoulder bags are great ideas...hmmm, think I'll borrow that one for sure! ha. Fishes look quite content swimming in your tank. Arggggh, cleaning of the blinds--now, I have to do mine. haha. Guess you could say you've put a bee in my bonnet (not EYE!). Good to know MD's getting better. Thank you for the update. It's always good to hear how you're doing.
    A big wave and hug from Texas,
    Cherri Galbiati

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan I love the photos they are perfect. You sure have been busy. Love the bags very tasteful and useful.
    I don't have blinds I barely have any window coverings I live far from people and I love the view.
    The heat packs I made all sprang a leak too so I had to sew them.
    I am glad you are back. I have missed your posts. B

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~ Cherri, hi and thanks for prompting this post - good to have a bit of inspiration. I'm thrilled you liked the photos. Seems I've triggered the cleaning bug in us. ha ha, never mind, there's always another day ;-) LOL, love the 'bee in your bonnet'. Thanks for popping over Cherri :D)

    ~ Buttons thanks for your comments... I was real pleased with the photos too - good fun. Having wide open windows and the view is a real treat isn't it. On the other side of that room we enjoy looking down and out to the garden. Since MD pruned the big Grevillea (which will appear in my next post shortly), we can see much more of what's happening out there. It's lovely to be back too Buttons, thanks :D)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You’ve cut your head off! LOL Love the bags, even if the model is shy.

    The photos you snapped for the guest room are fantastic and very worthy of showing off, which the frames do perfectly. (Giving me ideas here. ;-))

    Don’t talk to me about cleaning venetians… ugh! We only have one large blind and it’s timber (doesn’t attract dust like the originals) but still…

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow susan!! that wasn't a BREAK...i think you worked your as...uh...bu...head....off! :)

    your flower pictures are awesome!!!! i love them!! you're definitely working that camera!

    and your bag...love it too!

    as far as the blinds...ugh! that's prob the ONE job that takes forever to get around to...even longer than windows! ha!

    welcome back!
    OH, and i ALSO love your new header...so BRIGHT and CHEERY!!
    :]laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to know all about your camera! I bought my very first one a little while back and its a simple wide lens point and shoot by Canon. I see you have a very nice lens for your close ups.

    What fun! I hope to photo some of the old houses (for the USA) here in my little city sometime. I think you will enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ~ Vicki, ha ha, yes I shall remain headless. Oh my goodness, yes, you should be framing your photos Vicki.. the quality of them, they'd print to a lovely large size as well. What I like about home framing is when you get tired of the same ones, easy, pop in different ones! LOL Venetians is/are(???) a dirty word now ;-)

    ~ Laura, ha ha love the "your as...uh...bu...head....off!".. nah, it just looks like a lot. Funny but even though I don't post every day, I still used a lot of time on the computer. Stopping it cold turkey like that gave me plenty of time ;-) Good to be back though :D)

    ~ Mary, it's a Nikon D3100 Digital SLR camera, with an 18-55mm lens, and a 55-200mm lens for closeups. It's fabulous too, I can put it on full auto or full manual and anything in between and the camera adjusts everything to complement the setting I've chosen. It edits in-camera, backlights, colour balance, trims etc., even converts photos to look like a pencil drawing! Anyway, enough raving... but I'm having fun with it.
    I will very much look forward to those photos of old houses Mary - just love that sort of thing. You'll have fun doing it too won't you :D)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous gorgeous photos, and.. I think maybe you should sew that bear some clothes, she seems to have mislaid hers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ~ Kat, hi there. Many thanks indeed. Ha ha, dress Rebel in anything else other than her leathers? No way, there'd be hell to pay ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the idea of the cards on the blinds - and the two you chose to print out frame - they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx