An old photo of me milking my beautiful cow. Quite often, no tether, leg or tail restraints were needed - she had the sweetest nature. I still remember the feel of the warmth of her hide, and her gorgeous big eyes covered by long lashes. There are Friesians in the paddock adjoining our block, so I can indulge in a bit of cow gazing now n then :) |
Aw! You've brought back some nice memories Susan. Will post about it tomorrow. Maa.
ReplyDeleteThat's nice Maa :)
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to your post and will check in with you then.
Loved the photo Susan! I live less than 12 km from the centre of the capital city and we have one dairy farm left. It gives our suburb something very special, even though Brian the farmer has only 6-8 head these days 'to keep the grass down'. It's the big dairy concerns that have continued.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Photo - looks so peaceful!
ReplyDeleteShe sure looked a beautiful cow. I like their big long eyelashes. Is Rebel home from holidays?
ReplyDeleteHi Maria, it's sad how the smaller farms are going for all sorts of reasons isn't it. It's people like Brian the farmer who give us those little glimpses of life as it used to be in the rural areas.
ReplyDeleteHello Lea, yes, and actually it was always peaceful when milking, even when it was cold :D
Diane, Hi there, ah those eyelashes get us every time don't they!!
Hmmm Rebel, it seems, is still on one long holiday at present. Her human is a bit depleted on the storyline front :-(
She may perk up in the future and if so, I'm sure Rebel will drop over to Birthday Bear's blog and say hello.
Thanks for your comments everyone :-)
I have always had a soft spot in my heart for cows. When I was 8 years old my parents gave me a cow (an Angus) and they taught me how to save money with her. All the money from her calves went into a savings account. I used the money to pay rent for graduate school 20+ years later. My mother had insisted it be spent on something major.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if most people really understand how important these wonderful creatures are to our daily life......
Hello Mary
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing that special story.
I can understand how you'd have such warm feelings for cows, having been responsible for one at a young age.
What good training for life your parents gave you too! You must be proud of yourself for following through and putting the money to such good use :)
Mary, something else I love about cows is watching them rejoin the herd a day or so after calving. The way they casually amble back, giving the odd bellow to announce their arrival. Then proudly introduce their calf to the others. It's so beaut watching all the other cows gather around to ooh and aah over the newborn .... just like humans!
Thank you for your visit :D
Hi Susan
ReplyDeleteThank-you for visiting my blog.
Love cows? Come over sometime. We have 86 at present but only 48 are milking. I enjoy hand milking for a short while, rather enjoy the milking parlour more.Less time smelling my perfume labeled "Honest Country Air"aka cow manure!
I love country life, cows, sheep, chickens kids, the two legged kind. yes even the smell.
Have a wonderful day.
Marlyn
Hello Susan, thought I'd pop in & say hi,
ReplyDeleteYour cow looks so sweet, I was brought up on a farm & now live next door to my husbands aunts dairy farm. Cows have beautiful eyes & are so curious about everything. I love watching them come outside again in the spring after being shut indoors for the winter..they literally leap about in excitement..its so lovely to watch.
what a lovely photo. I wish I had cows to milk. Are you still milking?
ReplyDeletehey, I milked a cow...once! I was so proud to finally get a little milk. very much admire the folks who can do that sort of thing well.
ReplyDeleteHello Marlyn,
ReplyDeleteHmmm, hand milking more than 1 cow - ow, no way !! Also, I'd forgotten about the side benefits of that particular brand of perfume, LOL ;-)
We're semi-rural, and seems it will stay that way here for a while yet. We enjoy the facilities that cities provide, but it's always the country for us.
Hi Helen,
It must feel wonderful for them to get outside after being inside for so long... The views you have of the adjoining fields are just so beautiful - the snow gives them such peaceful "frozen in time" effect.
Hi there Rhonda,
I was so thrilled when one of our children gave me that photo a little while back - I'd forgotten it'd been taken! Yes, it's not just the milk you receive from a cow, there's so much more :)
No, I don't milk or have a cow anymore... just enjoy watching them in the next paddock - or wherever.
Cheers everyone, thanks for visiting :D
first time to your blog...love your header photo!!
ReplyDeleteoff to scroll around....
BTW... anyone who loves cows (or any animals), you've got to go and read Maa's post "Dairy cows" at
ReplyDeletehttp://maasjournal2.blogspot.com/
it's so heartwarming, Susan :)
Hi Dmarie,
ReplyDeletethanks for dropping by, ah, I have to be honest and admit that I sooked for a few days when I first started milking .....ooooh my aching wrists [grizzle, grizzle]!! But, yes, once you get the hang of it and the milk gets going it's a thrill :)
Hello BumbleVee, nice to have you visit. Thanks, the header pic is an Eastern Spinebill - am quite partial to them too! Hope you enjoy having a look around :D
Hello dropping by from down to earth, I love your photo, we raise cattle here in Canada and it is nice to see.Greetings and I like your blog.
ReplyDeleteHi Buttons, thanks for dropping by and commenting.
ReplyDeleteI've just been having a look through your blog and I especially loved your post "Can Cows Swim?".
Cheers :D
LOVE your cow!! what was her name??
ReplyDeletei've never milked one though!
i too love cows!! :))
Hi there Laura :D
ReplyDeleteShe came to us as a heifer and was already named .... Lady Di
She had male calves over the years she was with us - um, no prizes for guessing what names we gave them ;-)