Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Recycling at its very best

In 1924 an avenue of Monterey Cypress trees was planted in honour of  26 local men of Lakes Entrance who lost their lives in WW1.

Over the years, the odd tree had been removed for various reasons. In 1997 the shire council, unaware of the trees' significance, planned to remove the remaining trees. However, following a campaign by the local historical society, supported by the community, the trunks of 6 of these trees have been preserved and transformed into memorial sculptures by chainsaw artist John Brady.

I just reckon this is such a beaut way to keep the spirit of the trees as well as the Avenue of Honour. My phone camera photos don't do them justice but here are some of them.




This one is called "Waiting for Dad"

Here's some more of John's work at Paynesville. I can't find any information about this Sea Captain, but I guess it's self-explanatory.



Please Note: These photos are mine, however, source of the text and information came from the following website Lakes Entrance Avenue of Honour WW1 Memorial Statues 

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! Here in America we cut down trees like there is no tomorrow. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing that very few people know it is significant. The City should have a law protecting the trees especially because of it's importance. At least the law should have known before. It is nice to hear that you stepped up to save them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time we visit (usually passing through)Lakes Entrance, I admire the work of the chainsaw artist. I also think the carvings are enhanced with weathering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember seeing them when I visited a few years ago but what a great way to preserve the trees and the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mary
    Yes, "awesome" sums it up perfectly... both the saving of the trees and the talent of the chainsaw artist :)

    Hi Flutietootie,
    I didn't have any part in the saving of the trees personally - that good deed was performed by the Lakes Entrance Historical Society.
    However, I've long been intrigued by the carvings. The Avenue of Honour was re-dedicated in May 1999, so no problems about future preservation ;-)

    Vicki, hi there, yes, exactly! that's what I was trying to convey in my pictures but they fell well short. There's just something about them when seen in person :D

    Hi Diane, I feel they're easily missed when Lakes is at it's peak holiday time. Cars, caravans, boats etc etc are all parked around and next to them! A definite "must-see" as they say :)

    Thanks for dropping by everyone, and for your shared interest. I love to find out the stories behind things that matter(ed) to local communities.
    In my post, I've highlighted the website link which gives a fuller explanation.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx