Lots of painting going on here and I remembered it was Friday so its certainly time to post one in readiness to join in with Paint Party Friday today:
![]() |
| "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" Acrylic on Masonite (fibreboard) (not an original title, but it just seems so apt!) |
I made some progress shots of this one, so here we go....
![]() |
| So intent on adding those small details 😍 |
![]() |
| This was to be it... completed, however I really felt it needed something more ...... |
![]() |
| Yes, a little bit of silver bling seemed to do the trick! |
Some this 's and that 's over the past week or so ....
Phew! Our last day of January was a doozie ... hot, hot, hot! :
![]() |
| ... but we were fortunate enough to have air conditioning, so the inside temp was very welcome. (for Northern Hemisphere blog-friends, that 45degC = 113F) |
Again, we were visited by birds to our verandah. I made sure the water in their bowl was replaced every hour with cold from the fridge.
Here's a Wattlebird who'd just about had enough of the heat:
Heard me against the window as I took the photo but didn't move...
Now we're enjoying much better temperatures and had even had some rain which was widespread too - bonus!
Our native Correas were flourishing... laughing off the heat and lapping up the rain...
I'd taken a photo of these two Nectarines just prior to Hubby bringing them in for us to eat - oh...so...delicious
The bees went berserk in the Lilly Pilly again this year...
Finally, a batch of currant scones for us - not quite as yummy as the dates ones I usually make, but welcome with some lashings of butter and a cuppa none the less.
Thanks for getting down this far!
Have a great weekend and I'll see you over at yours soon, Sue xx











Wonderful post Sue, love the painting and all the fun pictures.
ReplyDeleteHugs Diane
Thank you Diane - have a great weekend! 💐
DeleteThe header is stunning!
ReplyDeleteYour adding of details to the painting has greatly improved the final version.
Love the photos of the thirsty birds, correas, nectarines and...the scones.
Thanks very much Duta.
DeleteI appreciate you saying, sometimes its hard to get distance from a painting and look at it through subjective eyes! 💮
Beautiful art and your garden looks beautiful!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Christine, I do appreciate your comments 🌻
DeleteWonderful!
ReplyDeleteThat is pretty amazing about the tendril.
Hi Sandi, and thank you.
DeleteThat little tendril really amazed us - there are others further down whose tendrils are clutching on to dead weeds. The natural urge to survive even in the plant world is incredible isn't it! 🌹
Your painting is fabulous, love the soft colours. Great nature photos, too. Wow to nature with that pumpkin pic! Glad you look after those gorgeous birds so well. And then currant buns o top it all, yummy! Hugs, Valerie
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Valerie. So happy you enjoyed all of it, lovely to see you 🌷
DeleteHello, Sue! Your painting and the details are just lovely. Well done. I love your cute Wattlebird, a wonderful garden bird. The Correas are beautiful blooms.
ReplyDeleteThe nectarine looks yummy and I would love a scone. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend!
That nectarine was particularly yummy Eileen! It knocks us out just how delicious and tasty home-grown fruit (and vegetables) is and get so disappointed with the supermarket fruit!
DeleteThanks for visiting, always lovely 🌹
Hi Sue! :) Those scones, mmmm! :) I love your post. And I love that you blinged up your flower! Are you using acrylics? It's beautiful! I had to laugh at your pumpkin, I have a pumpkin patch each year and I'm always in awe of what they wrap their little tendrils around! It's nice that you leave water out for the birds, they surely need it!
ReplyDeleteHi Rain! Thank you very much for your beautiful comments.
DeleteYes, I used acrylics on this one.
Its the first time we've had such a rambling pumpkin plant - it all started in the compost and the different variety of props their little tendrils have found is amazing as you say, we are in awe at their ingenuity! 🌻
I love your bling addition to your lovely painting, perfect! The Wattlebird is so curious, have never seen one here in NJ. I’ve started painting as much as possible, may join your Friday group.
ReplyDeleteHi there Barbara, and thank you very much. Yes, curious is a word for the Wattlebird! Usually they're full of cheek and are domineering of smaller birds - they even challenge our right to be in our own yard at times, however, this one was quite grateful of the drink.
DeleteSo glad to see you did join in with the paint party group - I know how welcome you'll be made... good for you, your art is beautiful 💮
I agree with Duta...your heading is Stunning!
ReplyDeleteYour new painting has captured the delicate beauty of the flower and the silver highlights...perfect!
Love how the bird stayed right there even though it knew you were there.
Nature has a way of grabbing on to things so they can continue to grow.
This was a delicious post and very beautiful.
Thank you Sue for your beautiful blog and your kindness. You are a great piece of art, too xxx
Hi Jan.... the header painting was a fingerpainting that ended up having brushes used - a lot of fun to do and I was quietly very happy with how it turned out ;D)
DeleteThanks so much for your beautiful comments, its always lovely to see you pop up. All the very best 🌹
Beautiful painting, very detail!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Mel 🌷
DeleteYour painting is beautiful! I do think the final touch set it off just right. Love the color!! I have never seen that bird in a book. I've never been to your wonderful part of the world-but I would love to someday.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Debra - I really appreciate your thoughts. I hope you get to visit Australia too someday - can guarantee you'll love our beautiful country 🐨
DeleteOh, how I like your art! The style is the same as I had! Your garden looks lovely!
ReplyDeleteThanks Anne - that's so nice to know! I would really enjoy seeing your art also, perhaps one day? Great to have you visit 🌻
DeleteLovely painting.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Anesha 💐
Deletehehehehe, yes "i got down that far" hanging on to every lovely word, and enjoying every minute!! your painting is gorgeous, i adore the pink and all the beautiful details you added!!
ReplyDeleteit is so kind of you to care for the birds, mr. wattlebird looks very appreciative. i do the same during the summer here BUT our temperatures never get that hot. it's warm here today, 60's, but more rain...it just never ends here!!! peeps are saying we are lucky for the warmth, otherwise it would all be snow, but i happen to love the snow!!!
Hi Debbie - lol, I'm glad! ;D)
DeleteThanks and am real happy you liked the painting, it was one of those that kind of happened - mind you, that's how most of them happen now I think of it!
Ah yes, and don't they look for that water too - I've always kept that bowl in the same spot and am amazed how accommodating all types are when the heat hits like that - no dominating or fighting, just all glad for a drink.
That temp I showed isn't the norm thank goodness - but we're being told they're going to come more often.
I love it when it snows and you take those beautiful photos. Enjoy your weekend!🌹
ooooh and i forgot, the scones look so yummy, how could i forget the food!!!
ReplyDeletelol, thanks Debbie - I diligently pop leftovers into the freezer "for another time" ... not sure why I do that, the turnaround is quick ;D)
DeleteFirst of all, thank you for all the warmth and sunshine and nature if your summer!! I cannot wait to be so warm:) What a funny looking little bird, but I do love them all no matter. I absolutely LOVE your header painting!!! and thanks also for sharing the making of your other lovely flower. Happy PPF!
ReplyDeleteHi Linda, well I'm real glad you enjoyed it - our days have calmed down and are lovely.
DeleteThanks so much for your visit and lovely comments, always appreciated 💐
Lots of pretty things here today. Love the art and seeing you working. The bird is such a cutie, a wonderful garden too.
ReplyDeleteHi Nicole and thank you very much 🌷
DeleteWhat a cute painted flower picture, beautiful! Also your photos of the birds and your adorable ones from your garden!!!
ReplyDeletehave a nice weekend, Elke
Thanks very much Elke, its nice to have you visit 💐
DeleteOh your artwork is divine and what gorgeous nature photography ~ ^_^
ReplyDeleteHappy Moments to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)
Thanks very much Carol, I appreciate that 🌻
DeleteLove your art, I like the silver bling.
ReplyDeleteSo pleased to read that you've had some welcome rain.
That poor Wattlebird (and many others) must be so pleased you leave the water out … your weather is so unbelievably HOT!
We have a storm forecast for the weekend, I think it will affect parts of Europe too.
Enjoy your weekend.
All the best Jan
Thanks Jan!
DeleteYes it is nice to have had some rain - there's lots of it falling throughout our states too.
It sounds like a bad storm you've all got coming - hope all is well.
Appreciate your visit 🌻
Wow, Sue! This is a terrific post! The painting is lovely. I love the sweet bird and the little pumpkin! I've never had scones, but they look like muffins. Is that what they tatse like? I'm sure they're delicious! Have a fabulous weekend!
ReplyDeleteXXOOXX
Thanks Candy! Glad you like all the things here. The scones are not as sweet or cake-like as muffins, sort of in between. Yes, they are delicious. They can also be served with jam and cream too in fact quite a few ways.
DeleteAppreciate your visit and good wishes 🌷
Hi Sue,
ReplyDeleteYour post is fabulous full of beauty and color 😍
The banner painting is gorgeous,the other flower delicious.
Thanks for sharing your lovely garden as well with us🌿🦋
Happy weekend ❤️🧛
Thanks so kindly Sirkkis, its always lovely to share the happenings in our backyard as well as my paintings :D) 🌹
Deletethank you for the flowers, I love them :)
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Felicity, and nice to meet you through PPF! 🌻
DeleteAn interesting set of photos and it's always a pleasure to scroll slowly down to the end of the post! I appreciated seeing the stages and thinking behind your painting, learning about the challenging temperatures you're still experiencing and being introduced to the bird life that needs your loving care. The currant scones look delicious and I'm sure you'll look forward to the garden produce by-and by.
ReplyDeleteIts always lovely to see you Linda and thanks for your thoughts here.
DeleteWe're having very welcome rain today - each day brings something different as I'm sure you find over in your part of the world ;D)
Yes, thanks, we love to eat our garden goodies, it will be interesting to find out what kind of pumpkins are growing... they sprang up from our compost heap and we've thrown a lot of different varieties of pumpkin seeds and scraps over the past while. Cheers now and good to read that alls progressing nicely for Mr P (and yourself) 🌷
Bonita tu pintura. Me encanta ver al pájaro tan lindo y tus flores son preciosas. Besos.
ReplyDeleteTranslation: "Nice your painting. I love seeing the bird so cute and your flowers are beautiful. Kisses."
DeleteHello Teresa, thank you so kindly for your lovely comment!💐
Your painting is beautiful. Love the colour and it looks so delicate. I really like that flower vase on your header. And these bird and garden photos are lovely. ☺
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Tarang, appreciated. I'm having fun painting vases (the glass effect)... its from a favourite vase the shape and little bit of gold ;D) 🌷
Deleteyes, the bling did it. Really added to your flower. Love it!
ReplyDeleteThanks Monica - for once it came to me pretty quickly to add a bit more, glad it worked! 🌻
DeleteSue I am in love with your header what a painting that is with it's band of gold, amazing! I'm so glad you carried on with your smaller canvas that touch of bling really does bring it into its own, lovely to see you at work.
ReplyDeleteWhat a clever pumpkin that is, survival of the fittest i'm sure it will thrive in the heat. Your scones look delicious, i'll have mine with a little jam too please hee hee!
Hugs Tracey xx
Well I thank you very much Tracey - each of your comments have been most appreciated.
DeleteLol, no worries, jam it is!! 💐
Beautiful painting!
ReplyDeleteI heard in news that now you got rain, a lot of rain.
In Finland we never have +45 C...that's hot, too hot!
Have a good week ahead!
Hello May, yes thanks we did get a lot of rain! So much so that its put many fires out which everyone is very happy about indeed.
DeleteIt was too hot - yes absolutely, fortunately that was a one-off! 🌷
I really like your minimalist flower painting and it is so good to see you actually painting it.
ReplyDeleteImagine 45 degrees - well no, I can't.
It always amazes me how plants put out their tendrils to hang on to something, even something not near. It's as if they can see.
The bird looks grateful to you for giving him water, poor things - they certainly need it. At the moment ours are desperate for food as it is much colder. We had a large flock of goldfinches crowding the bird feeders this morning and chattering away to each other on the tall trees.
And your scones - they look delicious.
Have a great week ahead, Sue.
Thanks Sheila!
DeleteYes, we are fascinated with what's going on with our pumpkin plant atm... the way its climbing in and out and around and those tendrils (yes, as if they can see) are finding anything and everything to wind themselves around!
Its lovely listening to the birds chatter happily isn't it - one of the benefits of having a garden.
Lovely to read your comments Sheila and nice to catch up again. Cheers! 🌻
Sue your painting of the flower is lovely...it was fun to see the work in progress too. Beautiful photos and those currant scones look scrumptious. Hope you had a great weekend and a good week thus far. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Debbie, I do appreciate that... am learning watercolour now via some youtube tutorials (generous people). All the best to you 💐
DeleteHi Sue,
ReplyDeleteA selection of inspiring images.
The details in the watercolor flower were beautiful.
Good continuation of the week.
Hello Janicce, lovely to see you here. Thanks very much for your kind thoughts too🌷
DeleteLove the painting! You've inspired me to get out my sultanas and make some scones. :)
ReplyDeletelol... happy sconemaking Sandy! Thanks for your kind comment too 🌻
DeleteI have to report the scones were less than delicious. Was going to take them to mah jong but decided I wouldn't inflict them on others. Very heavy and dry (wholemeal flour) and just now looked to see the flour is about 6 months out of date! Will get supplies and redo. Thanks for the inspiration.
DeleteOh Sandy that wholemeal flour used to win out on me whenever I used it! Better luck next time ;D)
DeleteA delightful post Sue with many lovely photographs. Gosh your flower is gorgeous! You certainly know what you are doing adding the extra detail. I've never seen a Wattlebird before, a pretty one for sure and the currant scones? Yum! Those tendrils on the pumpkin have their own beauty don't they? Well my friend, enjoy the rest of your week.
ReplyDeleteaw thanks Denise, that's lovely of you.
DeleteThose Wattlebirds consider themselves to be quite the bosses of our gardens but on that day they lined up with all the other birds to take their turn at the cool water ;D)
Thanks for your visit 🌷
The addition of a little bling made an amazing difference. Lifted the painting into another realm. ❤
ReplyDeleteI bet that pumpkin has already doubled in size. Pumpkins are real triffids -- if you're not careful they'll be moving into the house next. 😀
Poor birdies. The last day of January was certainly a doozie. The hottest month globally on record, would you believe? Your nectarines obviously didn't mind (yum).
Thanks Vicki, that's kind, it did make a difference... its one for the wall, it makes me smile :D)
DeleteYes, Pumpkin has taken on a life of its own and is now demanding room service :O)!!
Sooo glad that day is over! Couldn't believe how juicy and flavoursome those nectarines were - none of the supermaket-blah taste at all - homegrowns rock eh! xx
Lovely painting!
ReplyDelete