Thursday, June 27, 2019

The Note Cafe, Hanoi (Post #2 - Vietnam Travels 2019)

Hello!

Another few lot of pics from our recent holiday.

It's funny how things happen that, when we look back, we can see it sometimes was because of a chance meeting in some way or another.

We have lovely memories of a gorgeous little cafe, just around the corner from our hotel in Hanoi.

I wanted to mail some postcards to our loved ones one morning, so I popped out for a walk.  I asked directions from a friendly girl standing outside a small cafe... as it happened, the mailbox was just a couple of doors down from there.  She invited me to come in for a cup of coffee on my way back.  I thanked her and said that when I was next passing with my hubby we would both come in.

A pic to show you the lay of the land and what I'm talking about:
The Red arrow is our hotel room.  Yellow is the post office and Green is The Note Cafe.
The foreground is the path around Lake Hoan Kiem


So began lots of happy visits to this little cafe.  
Ok, we knew we weren't any more special than their other customers but they had the knack of making us each feel special and that just made our holiday even more enjoyable.  

This is the greeting we were given every time we came in:

The theme of their cafe was to leave a note/read a note and it certainly caught on.  
Their cafe premises consisted of many floors - each of which are covered in notes from people all over the world.  
I'm a natural sticky-nose, so couldn't resist (along with everyone else) taking photos... here are some:


good on you Ashley :D)




We were including the celebration of each of our birthdays in our trip and on one particular day it was my dear hubby's.  I'm a blabber-mouth as well lol, and this note came with his cake:

We  always enjoyed our seats at the window.
The lake is just over the road.  We were never far from it!


On another visit they invited us upstairs.  I'm a bit sooky in stair climbing but couldn't resist, so up we went.  This is what we saw:


... even Teddy was 'noted' !! 



 oooh those cakes!



we left a note each too... right on the edge of the door


I'm keeping this photo of the stairs because now, back in Australia, if I feel I can't do stairs anymore I have this to remind me that I jolly well can !!


~ Cheers now and thanks for your visit ~


44 comments:

  1. The cafe looks awesome!!
    It's really Note cafe with notes stick anywhere, so they give a special environment to enjoy cakes and a cup of coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Evi, and yes it is a great little place. Thanks for visiting 💐

      Delete
  2. What an incredible cafe Sue! The pair of cafe keepers look friendly indeed! Belated congratulations to all of you who celebrated their birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Riitta, it was much fun and a lovely place to sit and people-watch 💐

      Delete
  3. That cafe is fantastic, I can imagine being there, reading notes, leaving notes - just great, such a wonderful communicative idea. The owners look so nice. Mostly cafes are places where you drink/eat what you have ordered and just go, but this is sooooooo different. Thanks for sharing the photos. And happy belated birthday to both of you. I'm up and down stairs all day here, so get lots of practice! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of the notes were years old and we saw other people finding and then reading notes that their friends had left on previous visits.
      It's a lovely idea all right. Thanks for your lovely wishes too 💐

      Delete
  4. So many notes!!! Your header shot is great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great decor idea for sure! Thanks Joan, those Abutilons are flowering their hearts out at the moment, they thrive in this cold weather 💐

      Delete
  5. Hello Sue!
    What a happy cafe you found. Also the owners seem happy and I'm sure you got a good service. They have clever too, as created a brilliant idea.
    Thank you a lot for sharing these fantastic photos. It is so nice to read your fabulous birthday celebrations and holidays.
    Have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Sirkkis... the coffee was excellent and the cakes so yummy! Thanks so kindly for popping in 💐

      Delete
  6. Hello, wonderful photos from your trip. I love the Note Cafe, what a cute idea. A person could be there for days reading the notes. The owners are cute and happy! Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I'm glad you enjoyed the cafe too - yes, it's a great idea... lots of fun for everyone and it was, as you could imagine, very popular too. Thanks for leaving your message 💐

      Delete
  7. How wonderfully cheerful all these notes make this darling cafe feel and now your and your husband will be a part of the fun for others.
    The owners made me smile, too, just seeing their happy faces.
    Great photos Sue!!!

    Hugs ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Jan... for the 7 days we were in Hanoi, it was a lovely spot from which to start or end each day - it really added to our enjoyment. Thanks for visiting 💐

      Delete
  8. What a unique place! I would probably spend a lot of time reading these notes. Such a neat idea. It is nice to have a place that you come to over and over again and that kind of feels like home in a different city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those notes are irresistible to read, so many permanent messages - from far and wide. It was fun and, as you say, unique. Lovely to see you and to read your thoughts 💐

      Delete
  9. Sue, this is so exciting! Your room is up so high...what a view. I love the Note Cafe, and can see how you could spend a lot of time there. I love all of your photos! Happy Birthday to you and hubby! Thank you for sharing these great pictures and memories! ♥ Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne. Yes, a room with a balcony - it was great. When we needed a rest we could still look out and see all the activity far and wide. Thanks for leaving your message and good wishes too 💐

      Delete
  10. oh the note cafe may be the coolest place on earth!! did you notice in ashley's return address she wrote "trouble child"?? i hope matt takes "her" back - true love!!

    the keepers of the shop are just too adorable...what a great way to get people to "disconnect" and read the notes and interact with each other!!

    in a bakery, not too far from home, you are asked to write a note right on the wall...i can't remember what i wrote!!

    happy birthday, to both of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, yes, totally agree!
      I did see Ashley's signature - hope she sent a photo of her note back home :D)
      lol, and Matt... wonder how that turned out? So many thoughts, happy, sad, and wishes, longings, joyful and heartfelt pourings are on those walls in a sort of permanent way, even if they get covered up by others they're still there.
      It was a lovely time and I'm glad I took so many photos - thanks for your message and I'm real happy you enjoyed it too. Appreciate the birthday wishes too, we celebrated well! 💐

      Delete
  11. Wow what a fantastic trip. It looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and we did Nicole, thanks very much 💐

      Delete
  12. Me parece un café maravilloso. Me alegra que hayas estado feliz. Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: "I think it's a wonderful coffee. I'm glad you were happy. Little kisses."

      Thanks Teresa for those lovely thoughts from you 💐

      Delete
  13. Such a great place to visit and I love the smiling faces of the young people, and the one of you enjoying your cake, yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate that Denise, thank you - lots of smiles at that place for sure, it was fun :D) 💐

      Delete
  14. Lovely post, lovely café and a lovely selection of photographs. What a great trip.
    The owners look so happy and I like the photograph of you enjoying your cake.
    Many Happy Birthday wishes to you and hubby.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so kindly Jan. Always lovely to have you visit and to leave your happy thoughts here 💐

      Delete
  15. A cafe like that with happy owners, a view of the lake and the comings and going of people is what makes a holiday celebrating birthdays enjoyable and memorable. The walls covered in visitors'notes are amazing. I'm glad you went upstairs, posted notes and enjoyed the cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, it had all those and more. I'm really glad too that I climbed those stairs, the views from the windows are wonderful. Thanks for letting me know what you thought Linda 💐

      Delete
  16. This is definitely a unique place! I wonder if any of the subjects of the notes ever come in and find their message!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, I've a real feeling they probably do... when we think of it, its a small world really isn't it :D) Thanks for your visit 💐

      Delete
  17. What a great cafe and so friendly and happy. Doesn't it make such a difference when you are made welcome. These stairs look quite steep from the top, a good photo, and how nice to have the view from the window as you ate.
    I love your new header too, abstract and colourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, it was a place from which I'm sure every person would leave with a smile on their face!
      We had many conversations with different folk from our window seat :D)
      I was playing around on my tablet one night, learning the digital painting and I had fun, thanks again 💐

      Delete
  18. What an interesting spot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. It certainly was a fun and welcoming cafe... always nice to find, yes, thanks Lin 💐

      Delete
  20. well WOW - amazing to see all these notes and i like that your husband got a note for his birthday. Really enjoyed these pics and your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that was our first impression at all the notes Sandy - seeing them in all those spots that people found to stick them was fun too! Yes, thanks, it was a really beaut surprise to go with his birthday cake slice 💐

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx