Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Bits of this n that

Hello!

It's raining here today and so to pass the time, I had a little rummage around my recent photos to come up with a post.

Some alley-way art by school children in Lakes Entrance, Victoria, which we thought was lovely and imaginative. They'd have had a lot of fun painting it too:

Some birds in our backyard...
Here's a freshly bathed baby bird - not sure what breed - who really enjoyed getting wet:


more alley-way art:


The Bronzewing Pigeons hold this pose while sun-baking... I'm thinking it's to help photographers to see the full gloriousness of their colours ;D)


and more art looking down the other side of the alley-way:


This baby Blackbird also enjoyed a bath.  We love how the Blackbirds thoroughly enjoy a soak and then a hearty scrub (!), flicking water here and there and then come back for a second turn at it...
that youngster certainly learnt well!


and, finally, the rain... so nice after the heat:



Thanks for joining me today... all the best, Sue xx

44 comments:

  1. Hi Sue what a lovely post,love your pics especially the bird one and nice to have some rain to cool things down,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheryl, always nice to take photos of birds :D)
      Oh yes, it was real soaking rain... hope you got some too over your way

      Delete
  2. Glad to see a post - I love the alley way art - I always love murals and even graffiti art when I'm out and about. Love that bird - taking a bath. Glad you got some rain and hopefully cooled down a bit. Have a great week Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I wanted to post but had a blogpost-blockage :O)
      yes, there's some fantastic graffiti art we saw in the city (Melbourne)... I must post that.
      yes, beautiful, beautiful rain... thanks Sandy you too

      Delete
  3. I was thinking the rain would help cool things down, that freshly bathed baby bird photo is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and it did too Christine, and it kept up on and off last night - bonus! Although, as with all things weather-wise it went to extremes and poor folk up in the northern parts of Australia are being flooded now ...
      thanks for your visit :D)

      Delete
  4. Glad you are all enjoying the rain. The alley-art is gorgeous, and the bird photos are so precious! How nice of that bird to sit with outstretched wings for the photographers, the birds here are not so kind! Thanks for sharing, have a great day hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Valerie :D)
      Glad you enjoyed the art and birdies... lol, yes we;re very lucky how accommodating the pigeons are ;D)
      Enjoy your day too and thanks for popping over

      Delete
  5. THis alley-way art is super and I enjoyed those wonderful photos of the birds! Happy rest of the week dear !
    HUgs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I particularly love your bird shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Sue, I love the murals in the alley. Your birds are adorable. Love the cute bird bathing. I am sure the rain was welcomed. Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, and thank you... that little one splashing around stayed there for ages and, of course, I took so many photos ;D)
      great to see you, cheers now

      Delete
  8. Such a lovely post Sue. I love when children take an interest in art. What a wonderful idea and a way to share their talents.
    Beautiful photos of the birds...wow!
    So happy for the rain that you are receiving...enjoy the refreshing change.

    Big Hugs ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jan, yes I agree and weren't they so talented - imagine being able to have an introduction to making art from that early stage in their lives!
      we are really enjoying the rain and so are the plants :D)

      Delete
  9. the art...on what would otherwise be such a boring wall, is wonderful, fun and colorful. such a great way to let the kids express themselves and beautify the neighborhood!!

    we got rain last night, instead of snow. i am happy only because the hubs got to stay at home with me!!!

    but the deep freeze is coming, single digits with wind chills below zero!!

    your birds are beautiful, my bird bath is frozen solid, i need one of those heated ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely Debbie, I remember when it was a really dodgy alleyway to walk down, all dark and uninviting. When we visited Lakes recently it was a lovely surprise at how it had transformed!
      We;re seeing reports of all the snow and cold over there - brrrr, stay warm, however I did really appreciate seeing what was happening on your Lake of the Lillies :D) Cheers now

      Delete
  10. Muy lindo los pájaros bañándose. Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: "Very nice birds bathing. Little kisses."

      Thanks very much Teresa - I always love when the birds visit our place. Cheers :D)

      Delete
  11. I always enjoy posts like this, with a little of this and that! The artwork is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Betty - there's so many interesting things right around us aren't there. Appreciate your visit :D)

      Delete
  12. Yippee for the rain, and I hope it cools down too!

    Loved the artwork and a joy to see the birds, especially the one enjoying the bath :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jan, yes we've had a couple of days and nights of lovely cool weather as well as the rain. Had to put an extra layer on!
      cheers and glad you enjoyed the post, thanks for visiting :D)

      Delete
  13. What a great post Sue, loved seeing that alley art, fabulous blank canvas to be creative and brighten up the area. Those baby birds certainly enjoyed their bath time and a clever way to keep them cool during your Summer time.
    There's nothing like a play day when the rain comes to hydrate the wonders of nature.
    Wishing you a wonderful day.
    Creative Wishes Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracey and thanks, yes I think those school children would have really enjoyed being let loose on that wall!
      Great to see you and I appreciate your kind thoughts :D)

      Delete
  14. I like spotting murals and other street art. The ones here done by school children are charming. They have a good wall space to paint on. The small bird is amusing as he takes a water bath, but also essential to learn how to keep cool. The
    bronzewing pigeon is an interesting bird too. I'm sure the rain is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's always fun coming across school childrens' art - they never cease to amaze me at their creativity which has obviously been encouraged by their teachers/school.
      Glad you enjoyed the birds too and yes, thanks, that rain was beaut - our garden is still damp from it. Love your visit Linda :D)

      Delete
  15. Hi Sue. Just happened by here yesterday and thought I would come back for a look. That is a wonderful alley-way art display! It is so well done with great nautical colors, and the marine life is so captivating.

    I bet your yard birds have a wonderful time bathing and exploring among your plants and flowers. I hope you are doing well. Hugs ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to see you again Suzanne, I was thinking about how things have been for you!
      Isn't it such a lovely display, the children artists have such a creative spirit already don't they.
      The birds do love to peck and scratch through the plants... lots of boston ferns too.
      Cheers and yes thanks doing well, beaut to catch up again :D) xx

      Delete
  16. Wonderful pictures Sue, enjoy the rain.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Diane... oh yes, for sure the rain was so welcome :D)

      Delete
  17. A delightful series of pretty photos Sue. I enjoyed each and every one of them. The wall art done by the children was so cheering and colorful. The little bird bathing, such a cutie and that Bronzewing Pigeon has a lovely feather pattern. I'm sure you enjoyed the rain. We have had snow recently but not as much as others have, cold either, from the Polar Vortext as they call it. Wishing you a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, and thank you for your thoughtful comments.
      I've seen reports of so much snow but glad you haven't had the brunt as some others do. It's the same with us and rain... we got just a nice amount whereas those up in Queensland are flooded. Always extremes aren't there.
      Cheerio for now :D)

      Delete
  18. The photos of the birds are enchanting. That is amazing, the baby blackie in the tiny bath. Blackies do love to have a decent bath here too, sometimes I think they would prefer a shower, the amount of splashing that takes place. I've seen the blackie do that thing with his open wing and could hardly believe it the first time I saw it. The first photo of the baby bird is a great catch, what a marvellous expression he has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about a shower for the blackbirds... they could stand around enjoying themselves for ages ;D)
      now, I've never seen them do that wing thing, how about that.
      Thanks for your lovely visit Sheila

      Delete
  19. The street art is fantastic. I love that the council welcomed the children's creativity. Just awesome.

    One of my favourite spectator sports is watching birds bathe, You have a couple of beauties here.

    Your baby bird looks a bit like a Grey Shrike-thrush, or was it smaller than that?

    How funny that the bronzewing holds its wing up. Our native crested pigeons also do the same. We think it's to allow the sun to kill any mites or parasites (since they don't bathe like other birds). Mind you, magpies and blackbirds like to sunbathe AND bathe in water. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki, yes, it's so nice when a Council is open to that sort of thing... all depends who's making the decisions ;D)
      Thanks for the tip about the identity of the Grey Shrike-thrush, we've seen adults around too and haven't been quite sure of what they are. I'm usually all settled in the wicker chair, coffee in hand and feeling too lazy to get up and find the bird book ;D)
      Cheers now and stay cool today xx

      Delete
  20. it is obvious...........birds love splashes and to get wet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do Monica, and will enjoy splashing in just a tiny amount of water in that brown bowl (last bird pic), if I haven't topped the water up. Thanks for visiting today :D)

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx