Friday, May 18, 2018

Chook Report

Hello!

Here's a special chook report on our girls.

While sharing comments with Debbie when she visited my last post, I'd mentioned our chooks were now in moult and were having a little break from egg laying.

They were all a bit unco-operative when I produced the camera, but I soon sweet-talked them into it.

This is how they're looking:
This hen earnt herself, when a youngster, the rather unfortunate name of "Stupid" but, turns out, she's pretty smart in many ways.
Anyway, as you can see, she's lost many feathers and looks patchy.
 Here's a close up of the new pin feathers that are starting to re-grow on her:

Those little brown nubby ends to the left of the photo are the fluffy starts to new feathers.


This is Alice.
Alice is not happy!
But once her beautiful plumage re-grows, she'll be happy again.




They wouldn't co-operate for photos, everyone went every which way.
Alice (still sulking) continued to mooch against the gate!



We have two hens who look exactly the same, only their personalities differed.  So, they were named Good Brenda and Bad Brenda.
Fortunately, their combs are each slightly different now that they've matured, so that helps in identification.
This is Good Brenda and her new paler feather patterns are emerging as she starts to come out of her moult.


"Whose breast feathers are these" I'm asking.
L to R Bad Brenda, Chookie (aka Henny Penny) and Good Brenda

Well, that's the current situation.  Thanks very much for your interest Debbie and I hope you enjoyed our chookyard news :D)


16 comments:

  1. Best wishes to the lovely girls! ♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give them your message Susi, thank you ;D) xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely to read the story of your chooks, hope they are soon well feathered again! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not too long now and they'll be back with beautiful new feathers in time for Winter. Thanks Valerie :D) xx

      Delete
  3. They all certainly have their own personalities! Lovely to 'meet' your chooks, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never realised just how different they each are Maria, it's quite amazing at times. Thanks for your visit, cheers now :D) xx

      Delete
  4. This is so cute, Sue! I remember Henny Penny and I'm glad she is still among the girls! How funny about the Good Brenda and Bad Brenda, I'm glad you can tell them apart! I had no idea they lose feathers at that rate, and then regrow-that is very interesting! Poor Alice...I'm sure she will be dancing around more freely when her new growth starts shining through! Such an adorable post, Sue! And, the news is good to know. Have a great weekend, with hugs coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, yes, she's still with them and, because she was the first she reigns supreme and enjoys her status!
      It's quite an ordeal physically for the chooks when they moult, their bodies need a lot of protein to re-grow their feathers and that's why they stop laying eggs for the duration.
      Glad you enjoyed the little update! Cheers and enjoy your weekend too, hugs :D) xx

      Delete
  5. Well Sue, I'm not sure how it happened, but I had no idea that you had chooks!
    I have four girls... Bertha, Flo (both Maran's) Winnie and Annie (both Bluebell's)
    I totally agree they have such different personalities and so much character.
    My girls say hello! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your girls sound lovely, sweet names too. Must look up Bluebell variety, sound gorgeous! Thanks for visiting and hello to them :D) xx

      Delete
  6. how wonderful that they each have their own personalities. they are beautiful your "cooks", i call them chickens, i am wondering if there is a difference?? their eggs, cooked, look awesome!!

    thanks for the update sue, i appreciate it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, glad you liked the report.
      The word "Chooks" is one of our old Australian slang words, or our colloquial language, which we use to collectively refer to adult hens or roosters.
      "Chickens" mean newly hatched hens or roosters.

      The word "Chickens" is also used widely throughout Australia but I just naturally think of them as "Chooks" ! Hope that helps... :D) xx







      Delete
  7. I have been wondering how all your chooks were doing, so it was great to see them pop up in my feeds. They are such characters. Chookie certainly had the right idea adopting you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, they're looking even more bedraggled this morning! talk about bad hair/feather days lol !!!!
      Chookie is a particularly distinct character in her own right. We feel she must have been checking us out before adopting us ;D)

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx