More florals from me as my entry for Paint Party Friday:
![]() |
| 'Birthday Abutilons' watercolour, watercolour pencil, acrylic and inkpen on paper |
I had a specific idea in mind - pink abutilons. A birthday card for someone who happened to say she liked them.
.... and so it began:
I can sometimes get away with just taking paint to paper and being happy with the result but, this time, it wasn't happening.
So, after a few tries I felt I really needed to draw an outline first...
Out into the garden to take some reference photos... not pink but that's easily fixed ;D):
| As it happened, cuttings of this orange Abutilon were given to me by the very person for whom I was painting the card! |
Outline sketch done:
First soft layer of watercolour:
Once dry, then in with more watercolour and the watercolour pencils:
Using the heavy watercolour paper enables lots of wetting and drying without too much buckling or erosion problems:
Then some acrylic for the stamen - I had a bit of trouble with this part and that's where acrylic is great, with all the re-doing I'd built up a bit of texture too (can't really capture it in the photo).
Finally, some outlining with my inkpen - the part I enjoy the most!
Linking to Eva and Kristin's Paint Party Friday, where the happiest of artists gather... and everyone's welcome!








Adorable ! I love your pink abutilons -
ReplyDeletean exquisite MIXED MEDIA painting at it's best!
Thank you for sharing your process - lovely photos!
And even your getting warm paintings are just lovely!
Happy weekend and happy PPF Sue!
oxo Susi
Thanks so much Susi! 😊
DeleteReally appreciate your visit... happy PPF! xx
Just love your pink Abutilon's ... I like the original photograph too.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for sharing your process and progress here.
Happy November Wishes
All the best Jan
So happy you enjoyed the post Jan, thank you :D) xx
DeleteSue you nailed it. These are lovely. I mostly like the leaves though, fantastic.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Nicole - always great to get feedback. Happy PPF! xx
DeleteIt is so amazing how you transition from very pale watercolor, to rich and vibrant color, using different pens and paints, resulting in such an intricate finale! I love your display of attempts early on in your project! I would have taken any one of them. Very lovely! Have a wonderful weekend, Sue! xxoo
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Suzanne - I love that build-up too... the best thing is that I have the acrylic standing by for if/when I go a bit too far ;D)
DeleteReally appreciate your comments, enjoy your weekend as well xx
you have amazing talent sue, right down to the sketch which is beautiful!! the detail in the stamen is really exceptional!!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the colors, it made a beautiful card!!!
aw thanks Debbie...
Deletethat stamen nearly did me in lol 😣 I called it 'finished' so many times but it really wasn't... but ended up happy with result and so I do thank you for your lovely comments. Cheers, and enjoy your weekend :D) xx
Your flower painting is fantastic, so much depth and detail, just beautiful. Lucky lady who gets that gorgeous card! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Valerie, it's always a pleasure to make my cards. Happy PPF xx
DeleteGorgeous, luv your Abutilons, (its the first time I'm seeing this flower) Happy PPF
ReplyDeletemuch love...
I'm glad you're finally getting to see the Abutilons (also known as Chinese Lanterns) Gillena, that's lovely! Thanks for popping over and sharing PPF with me. Cheers! xx
Deletesuch a pretty and delicate flower Sue, and you did a beautiful job recreating it on your card-lovely details and very striking pink! Thanks for sharing the steps too. Happy PPF!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Linda, it's the delicacy of the petals that I love about this flower and I'm so happy I gave it a try. Appreciate your lovely comments. Happy PPF :D) xx🎨
DeleteGorgeous and radiant flower art, the abutilon is super-beautiful, the pink is so deep, uplifting and magical! Stunning work, and so lovely to see your process, fabulous!
ReplyDeletehappy PPF
Victoria #17
I really appreciate your visit and thanks very much for your inspiring words Victoria :D) Happy PPF!
DeleteLove, love love your work. Beautiful flowers.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Annie! Happy PPF :D)
DeleteThis is stunning, thanks also for showing your process...oh I love flowers. Beautiful details.
ReplyDeleteIt's a lot of fun sharing our work on PPF... have a Happy one and thanks for your lovely visit Christine :D) xx
DeleteHello dear Sue!Your flower painting is fantastic!I,m very impressed from your details!
ReplyDeleteYou are so talented!!I would love to learn how to paint!
Have a happy November and a great weekend!
Dimi...
Thank you kindly Dimi for your encouraging words... it's lovely to express ourselves and relax isn't it - no matter what form it takes. Cheers to you and yes have a lovely November :D) xx
DeleteHi Sue! You have a wonderful style to paint! Greetings
ReplyDeleteThank you very kindly Anne! xx
DeleteWonderful card (and a very instructional post). Thank you! Happy PPF
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Susan.
DeleteI'm putting more and more little notes about the process for my future self as a visual prompt ;D) Glad you enjoyed it, Happy PPF! 🎨
This is so beautifully done! Thank you for showing the steps. This was really a work done with love for your friend. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Gloria, so very nice of you to say :D) Happy PPF!
Deletea beautiful painted flower picture
ReplyDeletelovely photos from painting
Happy weekend,
Elke
Hi Elke! Thank you very much, have a lovely weekend too :D) xx
DeleteLovely card! Luckty friend the one that got it!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the painting tutorial.
Thanks very much Duta... always appreciated :D) xx
DeleteDear Sue - your friend is going to be delighted to receive this card. So pretty friend and cheerful as well. Have a great weekend. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThanks Debbie, I hope so. It was a bit of a challenge this one, and I enjoyed it overall. Really appreciate your lovely visit. Happy November xx
DeleteI love seeing your progression. It helps me a lot. Had not thought of using acrylic I always reach for my first love pastels (chalk). They are absolutely gorgeous for the card. Thanks so much for visiting and thank you for congrats. Surprised me. I have a photograph only blog: https://jkwgalleries.blogspot.com to see more pictures. Blessings, Janet
ReplyDeleteHi Janet, I agree the pastels have a beautiful softness about them, as shown in your lovely work.
DeleteThanks for your comments and I shall pop over to see your gallery blog real soon. Cheers and Happy PPF! xx
Such a pretty card for your lucky friend! Nice to see how it was done and the original flower that inspired it. We can grow them here - I need to find one! Wishing you a lovely weekend. Hugs xx Karen
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Karen - I definitely needed to do that sketch first! I Can be a bit lazy and just want to get stuck into the painting part.
DeleteThe Abutilons come in many colours and even though their petals look fragile, they are a very hardy plant and so easy to strike from cuttings. They do equally well in most positions too. Hope you can add one to your beautiful garden, they'll give you a lot of pleasure. Cheers and lovely to see you xx
What a great drawing and painting of this card. I love my garden too and always getting inspiration from it. I live in Upper Moutere near Nelson New Zealand, so like you our summer is just beginning and my first roses are in flower!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Marijke!
DeleteOur gardens give us so many things don't they. I'm not very good with growing roses but I do love to see them most especially in bud. I shall look forward to more of your floral posts. Thanks for visiting :D)
I love seeing your process, and how the flowers in your garden come alive in your painting. Beautifully done!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Denise, it's coming to the kind of weather where I can happily sit out in the garden to paint.
DeleteCheers now and thanks for your lovely visit :D) xx
You always do such a good job on flowers. These are beautiful. I see where you said you can finally sit out in the garden to paint and here we are coming on sitting inside weather and keeping warm.
ReplyDeleteThanks so kindly Sandy, I really love painting flowers... sometimes I prefer the abstract ones and I'm itching to do some more digital work, especially after seeing yours :D)
DeleteIt's deceiving today, the sun is out and beckoning but the wind alongside it is chilly... will we never be satisfied lol !! Thanks for popping by xx
Your pink abutilons are marvelous! I enjoyed seeing your process in creating them. I am sure your friend will be pleased.
ReplyDelete~~ Irene
Many thanks for your lovely comments Irene, I really appreciate your visit :D)
DeleteThank you for sharing the process Sue. Your art is gorgeous and those who receives them are very fortunate.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Denise, glad you enjoyed your visit. Cheers and have a lovely weekend :D) xx
DeleteLike the way the flowers slowly get the colour (in the painting)
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Joe, glad you liked it :D)
DeleteBeautiful. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Lin :D) xx
DeleteLovely pink flowers!
ReplyDeleteAppreciated June, thank you :D)
Deletemy mothers flower, how can I not love it :) Beautiful work Sue.
ReplyDeleteLovely, thanks for those thoughts Monica XX
DeleteHow beautiful done! What a talent you have!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Christine :D)
DeleteVery pretty. I like how the composition looks just right with outline as the flowers hang over a little. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Shannon, I owe that composition to nature ;D) cheers!
DeleteI always have to admire people who have such a talent as you, Sue! I wish I could draw my garden flowers, too.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sigrid for those kind words. I hope you give it a try - we're always the hardest on ourselves and with your beautiful garden to inspire you .... :D)xx
DeleteOh what bright colourful flowers, wouldn't it be great to find this in one's birthday envelope (and keep it for ever).
ReplyDeleteHaha, I know the feeling - paint without drawing, paint without drawing, then realise it would be better to do a drawing, although you are absolutely right that sometimes it works perfectly and even better.
Thanks very kindly Sheila :D)
Deletelol, yes, in my more disciplined times I do know that doing a drawing first is best ... but... but... it's not the fun part lol ;D) cheers! xx
I almost always draw before I paint... The card is lovely, I think your friend is very lucky!
ReplyDeleteIt's the best way and good for you Lisa... I admire yours and others that skill.
DeleteThanks for your lovely comments :D) xx
It is interesting to see how you go about your work. I can see you make lovely cards.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Diane :D) xx
DeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDeleteThis flower is 'Kirjoaulio' in Finnish :)
Thankyou for telling me that, and for your visit :D)
DeleteFun to watch the creative process at work and very interesting for a non-creative type like me.
ReplyDeleteMuch appreciated Sallie, thank you :D)
DeleteBonito dibujo. Buen dÃa.
ReplyDeleteVery kind of you Teresa, thank you :D)
DeleteJust beautiful! Thank you for the tutorial too. Have a nice & creative week Sue.
ReplyDeleteI hope your week is going well too Riitta, many thanks for your comment xx
DeleteI had never heard of this flower but it sure is pretty, and your pictures, as usual, are vibrant and full of life.
ReplyDeleteIt's one of my favourites Jenny, such a tough variety and because of that so dependable when a lot of others fail. Glad you enjoyed my pictures, thank you :D) xx
DeleteQue lindas pinturas!
ReplyDeleteBom final de semana.
janicce.
Thank you very much Janicce, lovely to have you visit :D)
DeleteBeautiful! You’ve done the abutilons proud. :) The stamen adds the extra detail that lifts it from the page. And from a design perspective, I love the way you have used the border and background.
ReplyDeleteHave an awesome weekend. xx
Thank you dear Vicki - I appreciate your supportive thoughts xx
DeleteWhat a process! Good for you. I did a sketch, but I'm finding it hard finding space for it!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jenn, much appreciated. That you're sketching is great - always a happy time :D)
DeleteYour abutilons are so pretty - I love the final result. They look very realistic, and great work on the stamen!
ReplyDeleteThank you kindly Carola! :D)
DeletePassando para ver as novidades.
ReplyDeletejanicce.
Much appreciated Janice :D)
DeleteSue, your flowers are bright and beautiful and I always appreciate seeing your process. Maybe I should try some of my orchids. Thanks for your visit to my garden. Happy PPF
ReplyDeleteI think you should use your orchids as subjects Susan - you've an unlimited amount of beautiful inspiration with them don't you :D)
DeleteThanks for your visit and lovely thoughts