Hello!
I usually like to have visited everyone before I post something new, but, well, I haven't 💐
There are so many lovely blogfriends out there, all with such interesting posts to read... and I like to take my time with each one so, currently, I'm a week behind in my visiting/reading - but I eventually catch up 👓 😊 👓
The chicks are growing and we take weekly photos of their progress and this morning I couldn't resist sharing two new learning sessions in their little lives:
"The Dust Bath"
Chookie shows her chicks how to dig a nice hole in a sunny spot where the dirt/dust has warmed up.
One chick is keen to get in beside Mumma and have a go. The other chick is .... "what??? no way!!"
"Here we go, jump in"
"That's the way" says Mumma. One chick is thoroughly enjoying herself (we're pretty sure they're both hens).
The other chick is "I can't believe you want us to roll around in ..... dirt!!"
... and so the Dust Bath lesson ends - for the day. It all happens again the next day, and the next, and so on!
This is Chookie's favourite perching spot... on top of the compost heap.
She can look through the wire and see what we're up to in the backyard.
So, it was no surprise to see her giving her chicks a 'perching' lesson at this spot... but what we were surprised at was that it was happening already! They're only 4 weeks old and their little winglets must have flapped like crazy to get up that high:
Perching is something they both love!
~ Thanks for popping by.
I hope these cutie pair of fuzzballs make you smile ~
How adorable, Sue! You absolutely made my day! I love the colours, patterns and sweet faces! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you kindly Linda - very happy to know you enjoyed their antics!
DeleteI had no idea they cleaned in the dirt! Very cute post indeed!
ReplyDeleteHi Christine, yes it's a daily ritual always in the warmest part of the day. The mature chooks go into a kind of relaxed trance during it ... it's lovely to watch. Thanks for your visit :D)
DeleteMother chicken teaching her two cute chiks life lessons is a lovely sight. The last picture, close -up of the dual-colour two chicks is just awsome!
ReplyDeleteThanks Duta, it's such a lot of fun following their progress... I've taken so many photos!
DeleteThey are so cute ❤︎
ReplyDeleteThey are aren't they! We've never had chicks right from the egg stage so we're learning as we go :D)
DeleteThis was a lovely post to wake up to this morning, just gorgeous. Love to see those little cuties with their mama, trying to teach them the ways of the world! They have a good life living in your garden, I always feel so sorry for those kept in cages.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day, hugs, Valerie
Hello Valerie, aw that's so good I'm really thrilled you loved seeing them.
DeleteYes, we let them free range as much as possible - they can scratch and peck and catch all kinds of insects. A real varied diet. We too feel sorry for the caged hens, they miss so much. We reckon ours give us 'happy eggs' to eat ;D) Cheers!
They are so adorable!
ReplyDeleteThanks kindly Lynda :D)
DeleteThey are sooo cute and they made me smile!
ReplyDeleteSo happy you had a smile Sigrid - always beaut!
DeleteOh my gosh, Susan, your chickens are so adorable and I love what the renegade one is "saying" about having a dustbath, s(he) is an independent chicklet. The mother seems to be a very good mother. Love the perching lessons too. Great photos, I loved reading this.
ReplyDeleteLovely! Thanks so much Sheila, really appreciate your comment :D)
DeleteSuch adorable and lovely photos of these cute chicks!
ReplyDeleteAmazing!
Hello Susi, thank you very much :D)
DeleteLoved this post Sue. Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure Monica, thank you :D)
DeleteHello Sue, I just love the cute chicks. They are learning quickly. The dust baths and perching photos are adorable. I love the momma too. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Eileen - glad you enjoyed them too :D)
DeleteHi Sue, I know just what you mean! I can’t stand to rush through friends blog posts without reading them, so I’m also rather late. Still I’m here now … hello!
ReplyDeleteI just love Chookie and the chicks (that sounds like a group from the 60s), and your comments are priceless. I'm smiling for ear to ear, thanks so much for sharing!
:D)... believe it or not I've finally set up my Reading List on Blogger. I always used to depend on my sidebar but that system failed miserably! Now I can be a bit more organised ;D)
DeleteLovely to have you visit too and thank you... lol, they do sound like a 60s group!!!
Dear Sue those chicks did make me smile. They are adorable. Especially loved seeing how Chookie dug her hole. So glad you shared. Hope you are having a great week. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteHi there Debbie, beaut to see you. Yes, thanks, our week has been lovely - where oh where does the time go though !!
DeleteI love them!
ReplyDeleteThanks Anne - that's beaut :D)
DeleteChookie is such a great mom! Creatures are so amazing in how they treat and teach their young. It's funny how one of the chicks does not want to snuggle in the dirt...maybe some other time. They all look content to perch on the plank. They are all so cute! Have a great weekend, Sue! ♥
ReplyDeleteHi there Suzanne, yes she is and, boy, does she look after her chickies when the other hens try to take their food!
DeleteRebel Chickie has settled down and now does a kind of dustbath... their instincts kick in don't they.
Glad you enjoyed the post - we talk a lot of chickie-stuff lately ;D)
Cheers and enjoy your weekend xx
i am the same way with my blog visiting - i don't like to rush. if i don't have time to "enjoy" a post, i wait and visit when i do!!
ReplyDeletethe little fuzzball are adorable and you are getting some great pictures of them!! mom is doing a good job getting them ready. it seems all siblings are complete opposites, i know my boys were/are!!
exactly Debbie, to share a little bit of our blog-friends' lives is so lovely and to have the luxury of not having to rush is wonderful ... ha ha, another
Delete'tick' on the Retirement Advantages list ;D)
They're growing like crazy and are so active but they're getting used to having a camera in their faces nowadays!
Yes, it's lovely watching their individual personalities emerge. Also their merging into the 'flock' ... that can be fraught with a few moments of 'oh dear' too . Cheers now and thanks as always for your lovely visits :D)
Dearest Sue; Thank you SO much for sweet,lovely and adorable pictures♡♡♡ I also enjoyed the difference of body color from I can see in Japan again. By the way, this year is the "Chicken year" accordingly to the chinese zodiac sign :-)
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for my late comment, Dear friend.
Hello Miyako, I'm really glad you loved seeing our little brood of fluffiness :D)
DeleteIt's very interesting to know about it being the Year of the Chicken... it's certainly so for us too over here :D)
Thanks for your visit and always lovely to catch up with you!
so cute - loved s eeing the photos and that last one is Wow!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Sandy ... it's my favourite that one :D)
DeleteAwww... how adorable! My favourite post of the week. :D
ReplyDeleteThe photos are just fabulous. It's been a real privilege to be able to watch the family develop. I can't believe how much the chicks have grown already.
Thanks so much for sharing, Sue. xx
pics of these little ones have been fun to take too Vicki ... it's a lovely experience being around them and I'm glad you enjoy them as well xx
ReplyDelete