Friday, June 9, 2017

Chicks!! ~ Happy PPF

Hello!
It's pretty much "Chick Central" here at home.  
You may remember from an older post  that our Chookie was sitting on, what we hoped were, 4 fertile eggs.
Happily,  2 were and they hatched this week.  They're a couple of lively little bundles of cuteness.

Here's our first photo of the first chick:
I gently lifted up Chookie to see where the "cheep cheep cheeping" sounds were coming from.
We'd heard of chooks shedding their chest feathers to add to their nest, and she had certainly done that.  


Seeing that sweet little chick with her proud Mum certainly inspired my entry for this week's Paint Party Friday:
"The First Chick"
Watercolour Pencil and inkpen in Journal Page

... and the next day, another cutie appeared, but not without a mini-drama though.

Hubby had gone to check first thing and found the second chick out of the nest - fairly limp and lifeless.  He kept it warm in his hands and we decided there was nothing to lose if we popped it back under Chookie and see what, if anything, happened.
I quickly went to get my "peck-proof " gloves and under it went.

It worked!!  So now, there were two:
Within a day they were running around and eating mash and chick crumbles with hearty appetites.
Update 10th June 2017:  The video**  below wasn't very successful unfortunately.  Can't work out how to do it properly with Blogger, so I've added a couple of photos I took this morning.  Lol, as I said... it's Chook Central in our little world at the moment!! :




Here's a very short (10 sec) video**  I took today of their first outing into the larger outside yard.
They certainly enjoyed a little play in the sun and some exploring in the grass:





 Linking to Eva and Kristin's Paint Party Friday, where the happiest of artists gather... and everyone's welcome! 


84 comments:

  1. Those chicks are so sweet, good that your husband was able to revive the second one! Have fun and have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your painted chick i gorgeous!Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

      Delete
    2. Hello Valerie, thanks so much - it was lucky he went down to check when he did! Lovely to have you visit :D)

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue! Wonderful chicks! Have a nice weekend;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sue, the chicks are so adorable. I am glad the one chick was ok. Your painting of momma and little one is just lovely. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Eileen - thanks - we're so smitten :D)
      Appreciate your comment and you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  4. They are all so sweet. Our garden is very small.Or i would definitely have chicken. I hope your chickens and chicks lead a happy, long life. Happy PPF :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for visiting... oh yes, they are so very sweet. They give us so many smiles.
      I hope that one day your situation is right to keep chickens, they're delightful to stand and watch... "chook-gazing" is what we call it :D) Plus, there's the eggs too ~ bonus!!

      Delete
  5. Your painting is so lovely, thanks for the heartwarming story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Christine, always lovely to see you :D)

      Delete
  6. Hello Sue and congrats on your new chicks 💕
    Your painting is so good, and it's as adorable as the are live. Cannot look the video, sorry.
    I wish your whole new family is well 🐤🐥🐔
    Happy PPF and weekend 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sirkkis!! Appreciate your lovely comments.
      Yes, sorry about the video - it's not good, I don't know how to make it work better (so I added more pics)
      Cheerio for now and have a really nice weekend :D)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. oh gosh, they're so darn cute - yes! Cheers :D)

      Delete
  8. awe what a delight to see! Glad the second chick was OK too. Beautiful painting of mother and chick, and thanks for the video. Happy PPF and enjoy watching the chicks grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, appreciate your visit and we will :D)

      Delete
  9. Lovely texture on your mother (and chick). Happy both chicks are happy and healthy. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thanks very much for your thoughts and visit - cheers and enjoy Paint Party Friday :D)

      Delete
  10. I just love baby chicks. And, what a nice painting of Mum and her babe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're always lovely to watch and this time we're enjoying having our own. Thanks for your kind words... cheers now :D)

      Delete
  11. Um quadro muito ternurento que você retratou com muita maestria.
    Parabéns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation:
      "A very tender picture that you portrayed with great mastery.
      Congratulations!"


      Thanks so much... glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate your comment. Have a wonderful weekend :D)

      Delete
  12. Sue, your drawing of the hen and chick is so beautiful! You have captured the protectiveness perfectly. Love how bright eyed the baby is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faye - thank you kindly... it's always fun setting out to draw something different. It wasn't happening for a little while but then I stopped being self-critical... lol, works a treat!!
      Their eyes are so big for their teensy bodies aren't they. Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  13. Sue, I love your sketch! And the chicks are delightful. I absolutely love your header image, how gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Linda - oh yes they are... can't help loving their cuteness. They're tough little things too, the other chooks in the yard don't treat them gently !!!
      Thanks re my header, I decided a bit of summer warmth would be nice at the moment :D)

      Delete
  14. What a lovely cutie! and two of them! and a warm charming painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Viola! Yes, a real bonus getting two - and both healthy :D)

      Delete
  15. Irresistible! Love your header pic. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lin- always lovely to have you drop in. Cheers :D)

      Delete
  16. What brilliant cute news Sue, no wonder you are chook centre...but that's fine by me. We are just getting to know our chooks, but we won't be having any of those adorable chicks (well not for now)
    I've been toying with the idea of painting our girls, but I'm not sure I could do such a brilliant job as you. They are gorgeous. I love the eye!
    Enjoy your new additions (fantastic to hear good news and a happy ending)
    Happy PPF to you and your girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neesie, lovely to see you :D)
      Yes, the time for having chicks is when you've plenty of time on your hands as we, as retirees, have now. All the different things (good and bad) that can happen, really requires a lot of "chook-gazing" if I can put it like that ;D)
      Oh now thank you for the lovely complement of my painting but I'd absolutely love to see your vision in painting of your girls - you've the gift of adding those finer details ... I'm too impatient to spend too long on the one thing !
      Cheers to you too and have a lovely Sunday.

      Delete
  17. This is so sweet! I love it!
    We have an owl with chicks. Cannot find them, though, and a phoebe, too!

    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn, thanks so much!
      How gorgeous for your owl to have chicks... so lovely to know, even if you can't find them though ;D) Cheers now

      Delete
  18. Hi Sue! First off, your painting in just beautiful! I love reading about and seeing pics of the chicks. I just love chickens - my grandparents had a farm when I was little and it was always such fun when there were new chicks. Also - I am in love with the artwork in your blog header!! Happy PPF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really great, many thanks Laney :D)
      Aw, thanks too for sharing your lovely childhood memories... they are so much fun and the delight has obviously stayed with you.
      Thanks too re my blog header. I let proportions and all those kind of rules go to the wind... it's fun :D)

      Delete
  19. Very enjoyable post Sue. Those chicks are adorable and so glad the little one had a happy ending to that story. Loved the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps Denise! They're such little toughies too - already they've got such personalities... yes, we're incredibly happy all turned out well for Chick #2. Cheers and enjoy your Sunday :D)

      Delete
  20. oh sue...this is so exciting ( you attract babies me thinks)!!! your "The First Chick" Watercolour Pencil is GORGEOUS, you did a phenomenal job!!!

    so now you are a chicken woman and all chicken jokes can be directed your way!! have a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks so much Debbie [hug]. It's knowing Paint Party Friday is coming, that makes me get going with a painting... like you and your Yarn Along :D)

      Ha ha 🐔 😂 Yay Chicken Woman... that'll do ok, I've been called worse!! Cheers and enjoy your Sunday :D) xx

      Delete
  21. i forgot to mention your header picture, i love it!!! 2 peeps i know???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... and yes it is - we got sore backs having to stand around in those poses in the garden ;D) xx

      Delete
    2. hehehehe, i knew it!!!!

      Delete
  22. Dear Sue - these tiny chicks are so adorable and I love your inspired painting as well. Babies in every species are so heartwarming and these two are for sure. Have a fun filled weekend at Chook Central! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, so glad you enjoyed their adorableness! and were also so kind re my painting.
      It was lovely having you visit... cheers now :D)

      Delete
  23. how wonderful and inspiring! A new life and so cute. No wonder you made art of it. I say it as I guess you don´t know the gender :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Monica. Yes, I didn't have to look far for inspiration this week.
      Me too, I've thought about how I should talk about them ... I've a feeling they're two hens but that's just between you and I... ok?!! ;D) Cheers now

      Delete
  24. Chookie and babies are adorable Sue!!!
    So happy that you and hubby were able to save the second chick 🐤🐥🐣
    Love your mixed media art piece for PPF... wonderfully creative!
    Beautiful eye in the mother hen's face!

    Big Hugs 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Jan, lovely to see you and.. oh gosh, yes, I agree totally with you about their adorableness :D)
      We loved that the second chick lived and also that Chookie didn't reject it either.
      Thanks re my painting - it was fun and I appreciate your thoughts.
      Cheerio for now :D) xx

      Delete
  25. Replies
    1. thankyou Lynda.
      Funny how things work isn't it - I'd opened your latest post and was just about to comment, then here you are! Lovely :D)

      Delete
  26. Oh Sue, what a lovely post.
    I loved your photographs and the video was just joy to watch, thank you.

    Loved your painting too.

    My good wishes for the new week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan, thanks for that - glad the video worked for you! Great to have your visit :D)

      Delete
  27. Loved loved loved your post Sue!!! They are bundle of joy! So sweet and cute and your journal page captures it perfectly...
    Thanks for stopping by and for all the love! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Deepa, really glad you enjoyed the post :D)

      Delete
  28. Beautiful chicks! Lovely painting of mother and chick.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your inkpen and watercolour painting of the mother hen and chick. Your photos are great and I liked hearing the chicks cheeping on the video clip. Mother hen must be happy that she has the two chicks and well done to your husband for helping one of them to get warm under the mother and revive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, so happy you liked it thanks very much. Heh Heh, yes their cute little cheeping sounds really got to us too :D) Chookie is very proud and protective of her little ones... they're giving her a run for her money nowadays though, both dart out from under her in different directions!
      It was a great outcome, that's for sure :D)

      Delete
  30. It's always wonderful to have new little ones to brighten the days! They are certainly sweet and fun to watch! Love your little painting, too :) xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Karen... indeed! Thanks for your sweet words :D)

      Delete
  31. Lovely chicks, I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm touched with the story of hope...of life...that your second chick got:) Quick thinking and action of your husband's hands!! BTW I love your new art heading ... Sue, you're such a talented lady! I think I've said it once before...but can't help saying it again because that's what I see:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it Annie. Yes, it was a lovely thing to see.
      Thank you so kindly :D)

      Delete
  33. The baby chickens are so adorable <3 Your painting looks great - good models!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to have your visit Riitta, always enjoyed = thanks so much :D)

      Delete
  34. Aww, so sweet! I loved hearing the cheep cheep cheeping on the video. Your painting is incredible I wish I had a tiny fraction of your talent with a watercolour pencil. The best I can manage is creative colouring between the lines!
    Lovely post Sue, thank you for sharing so much cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Barbara.
      You're very kind and it certainly keeps me out of trouble ;D)

      I've said before... our creativeness comes out in all of us in different ways and isn't it a delight to discover all those ways via our blogs... cheers now :D)

      Delete
  35. Wow arnt you luck to have your own hen and chickens, Great photos, and painting.
    Take care, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Gordon! Appreciate your visit and, yes, we are very lucky to be able to keep our chooks here. We had some a long time ago as well and really enjoyed the whole experience... let alone all those lovely eggs!
      Cheers now, I see you've been exploring Cornwall - I love that whole area and am keen to pop over and see some more of your pics :D)

      Delete
  36. The photos of your dear Cookie and her babies is just phenomenal! I love them! lol Have been thinking of building a chicken house here, too. Your artwork depicting the chicken and chickie is adorable. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beth, I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing them... it's definitely worth the trouble of keeping chooks (chickens), they give us so much pleasure. Thanks for your visit :D)

      Delete
  37. Congratulations on your new babies, Sue! They are adorable, and I did hear them chirp on your video. I wanted to mention how much I love your header painting...it is so warm and homey. And, your painting of your Chook and her first is very nice. I'm sorry to be so late coming by, but I didn't want to miss your post. Have a very nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, thanks for your visit ... especially when you're on a break :D) xx
      Glad you heard them on the video, so cute. Their cheep cheeps get ever so louder the further away from Chookie that they wander. It's as if they're checking in and assuring her where they are. We love watching their antics.
      Cheerio for now, I hope you're keeping well... enjoy your week doing all your favourite things !

      Delete
  38. Isn't that amazing, Susan, and how wonderful that you managed to rescue the second chick. The baby chickens are adorable, and the mother is too.
    You've made a really lovely painting, I love it. Thanks for all the super photos too, and the video, I could hear the cheeps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those 'moments of meant to be' Sheila, definitely!
      Thanks too re my painting, it was fun to try and do. So glad the video worked for you :D)

      Delete
  39. Oh I adore your chicks and their momma!! So adorable..love the wonderful watercolour you created too!! So sweet that you were able to save the second baby!! Love it!! Great post...so happy!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giggles, thanks so much for your visit - yes, it was great the second chick made it. Its growing well too, not quite as big as Chick #1 but good nonetheless. Cheers :D)

      Delete
  40. Oh my goodness, Sue, that's some serious cuteness you have there. "Chick Central" indeed. And the perfect subject for your Paint Party Friday entry. Love it all. Thank you so much for sharing the joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki... gotta spread that cuteness eh ;D)
      Appreciate your thoughts here, lovely!

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx