Hello!
Sometimes it's nice to chop:
... I do a lot of thinking - when I chop.
It's nice to have the time.
I'm thankful, and grateful.
![]() |
| I love the funny little shapes our homegrown carrots come in! |
Update 21st June 2017: I forgot to show another cute invention by my dear hubby - easy on the wrists... made especially to suit my
![]() |
| I love my personalised chopper! |
... stirring is good too - I'm good at that [wink]
So, I chopped and stirred today and we had some vegie soup for lunch:
![]() |
| With a nice, warm, buttered roll each |
Can't forget the chookies... they love their boiled up mash from all the peelings:
I wanted to make some baked apples (we've still got lots from our backyard harvest):
I usually stuff them with raisins (and brown sugar and butter), but as I'm not so good on keeping track of what's in the pantry (can't think why ;D)) .... I didn't have any raisins.
My Pantry ⤵️
... so I used prunes instead...
... turns out, prunes were even better than raisins (or sultanas) - they melted into a delicious, luscious tasting filling. Topped with cream, mingled with the oozing butter, the sweet apples - it was pretty good.
There's always room for some comfort food isn't there
![]() |
| A little scene which I hope gives you a nice peaceful feeling 💕 |











Creative idea to use prunes, and a lovely dessert!
ReplyDeleteThanks Christine, we were both very surprised at how nice they tasted (I'm usually the only one who eats them).
DeleteCheers 💐
Hello, your veggie soup looks delicious. I would love to try one of your baked apples. Pretty scenic photo, looks very peaceful. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!
ReplyDelete... we've plenty Eileen, so I've popped two in your bowl - ? cream too ;D)
DeleteThanks for popping in 🎀
oooooh Sue, I have so much to say!! I am not a good chopper, I have wicky, wacky hands. On the other "hand", I am a good stirrer. I am down a North Carolina sons home and I made Pot Roast, with gravy, my stirring skills were spot on and the meal (mashed potatoes and carrots) was a huge success. I know you were routing for me, so far, so good!! I noticed the bread before I noticed the soup, bread is a must have with soup!!
ReplyDeleteThe apples look divine, necessity, the mother of invention....good of you!!
Next we must talk about your pantry...awesome that you are using bins but you need a little help with that!! When I leave NC, I will be by for some pantry organizing!! hehehehe he
LOVE the image...it is just perfect!!
... aw, I just knew you'd be doing that Debbie - and I know the exact meal you mean, I can picture it from your posts .... good on you !! 😍 Definitely, so far so good xx
Delete- and - and... ha ha, it takes a good stirrer to know one ;D)
your mention of wicky wacky hands reminded me of another invention my dear hubby rustled up in his 'man's shed' ... I did an update on this post.
Nah, no pantry talking... too much work ... it was enough to install those bins [dropping of shoulders, eye rolls]. Got to admit that when I included that photo I did think of your kitchen goddess organisational skills and what you might think! A wry little cheeky grin happened then ;D)
Cheerio, take care, enjoy the visit with your loved ones :D) xx
smiley face!!!
DeleteOh my, I just arrived home, hungry and tired, and boy, have you given me an appetite! Your food looks gorgeous, and my pantry is just as untidy, perhaps even more so! And great that even the chooks get their share. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie
ReplyDeleteHi Valerie, I'm happy to have given you an appetite!
DeleteHa ha,, it's too easy to close the pantry door isn't it - it's been on my 'to do' list for ages ;D)
I am the same with chopping. Feels like a time to think. How funny.Your food looks sooo good and I love baked apples. Have not made them in ages. It is nice you have a garden. Have a very nice day.
ReplyDeleteIt is Nicole - I've solved many of the world's problems as I chop! and was sure I wasn't the only one !
DeleteBaked apples are quick and simple aren't they.
Thanks for your visit :D)
Hi Sue...I made it over here earlier than usual. My son has raised some cuccumbers for pickling, and your home grown carrots make me think of them. Their shapes are kind of odd, but they sure are tasty! I prefer to make my own soups too, this past year, and I am considering my chicken noodle soup today even though it promises to be a pretty hot day! Your photo of the swans on the lake is very beautiful! Have a wonderful day! ♥
ReplyDelete... and it's lovely to see you Suzanne :D)
DeleteThe cucumbers sound yum! I love that they sometimes come out of the ground with their funny little shapes but, yes, they still taste better because they're homegrown don't they.
Your chicken soup sounds beaut too - soup's good no matter what the weather and especially if you have a taste for it at the time.
Cheerio for now and stay cool :D) xx
Everything looks delicious and wholesome, Sue! And your photo of the swans on the lake ends this post in such a beautiful, perfect way! Thank you so much for sharing, and I hope you have a fantastic day!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Linda, it's great to have you visit... glad you enjoyed it :D)
DeleteCreative cooking with an unorganised pantry - that's the best. I'm a lazy cleaner and organizer these days as well. Not so interested in that, prefer for example reading, staying out or heaven knows what :) I can smell your delicious apples - yummy.
ReplyDelete... it worked out ok didn't it ;D) Thanks Riitta, it's nice to share our likes and dislikes, appreciate your visit ! 💐
DeleteSue, you're so talented in everything ... I must admit that I'm not even as good as you in chopping and stirring....but I'm good at eating...I'm even drooling over the nice soup you've made and the apple dessert:) Very creative!
ReplyDeleteHello Annie, ah now you haven't seen my chopping close up ;D) i use the stick blender at the end of cooking and that makes the soup look much better but I appreciate your kind comments just the same 😊
DeleteHi Sue! You have had good vegetable crops and apple crops. Delicious apples ;-) Greetings
ReplyDeleteHello Anne, yes we have... hubby's vegie beds and orchard have produced a lot with his hard work and it is a really nice feeling to be able to cook with them. Cheers now :D)
DeleteIt's so satisfying to use homegrown fruit and veg to make nourishing food and your soup and baked apples look appetising. I'm feeling hungry just looking at the photos! I remember my Mum putting soft, pitted dates and brown sugar in the middle of the apples. The swans on the lake photo is beautiful and a lovely way to finish your blog post. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteIt is, most definitely Linda :D)
DeleteYour Mum using the dates was clever, they have a real sweetness with apples.
Thanks for dropping in ... and Happy Anniversary! 💕
Thank you Sue for your good wishes for our wedding anniversary! Have a lovely day.
Delete😊 Cheers!
DeleteLove how you did this post Sue, I really enjoyed the read and looing at your photographs.
ReplyDeleteYou can't beat home-grown vegetables, whatever their shape!
Haven't had a baked apple for quite some time - yours looks lovely.
What a fabulous photograph to finish your blog post with.
My good wishes
All the best Jan
Thanks so much Jan, I really appreciate your visit and lovely thoughts today :D)
DeleteYummmmmmmm!!! That homemade soup looks delicious!!!
ReplyDeleteOkay... I admit that those apples do, too🍎
Love those crazy homegrown carrots!!!
Big Hugs 💕
Many thanks Jan, it's nice to indulge at times isn't it... Cheers now and enjoy your day :D) xx
DeleteIn lieu of being able to contact you via email Jan, I wanted to let you know that I haven't been able to leave a message on your blog for the last few days.
DeleteThis morning I tried again but it seems to have been closed.
I just wanted to wish you all the best in life and to thank you for sharing our love of art and life in general 💐
Yummy home made soup is the best
ReplyDeleteLove just using what I have and experimenting with flavours. Some of my best dishes have been stumbled on that way
Very true Angela, I've seen that your soup pot always gets a good workout too ;D)
DeleteTo think I used to be soooo organised when I was younger - it's true what you say about stumbling on new ways of doing things.
Cheers, and enjoy your upcoming adventure :D)
Somedays, Sue, the kitchen or the garden are the only places we can get away from all the horrors of the world at the moment.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the 'prune' suggestion - might used them chopped together with some dates. They'll be effective one way or another lol
Absolutely so Cathy... it is ..
DeleteI reckon that combo would work well ... ha ha ;D)
Cheers now xx
i really enjoyed your chatting while chopping and showing us your pantry and like u said who cares when the world is like it is - ...a messy pantry - no doubt we all have one anyway and if not then we all probably have a junk drawer or closet ...i know i do, lol. your soup and dessert looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteHi Sandy, thanks for your thoughts here ... lol, oh yes, having a junk drawer is mandatory in life isn't it ;D) Cheers 😊
DeleteSometimes, new creations because you don't have what the recipe calls for are awesome!
ReplyDeleteSo true Betty 😊
DeleteDear Sue - those apples look fabulous. I like you make them with raisins also but am going to try them with prunes based on your recommendation. Sometimes things are just meant to be. I had a delightful visit. Hope you have a wonderful day. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Debbie - I'm sure you'll be very happy substituting with prunes ... we got quite a nice surprise!
DeleteCheers now and thanks for visiting :D)
Oh, this makes my mouth water! So yummy. Since I have macular degeneration I have been looking to see what foods help. All of yours especially the first picture are listed as excellent foods for eye health. Looking forward to seeing your PPF entry.
DeleteHi Faye, thanks for that information, it's very heartening.
DeleteI have been a'procrastinating big time for this week's PPF ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ lol, but I do enjoy getting around and seeing what everyone else has done. Cheers now :D)
Hi Sue, that all looks so yummy and your pantry looks fine. I should show you mine sometime :). The prunes are a great idea for stuffing apples. I must try those next time. Thanks for the idea. I really do enjoy getting into the kitchen. We hear everything going on in the world instantaneously don't we?
ReplyDeleteLove the fact that we all have those little pantry secrets behind closed doors!
DeleteYes, you're right - we're in an 'instant age' now.
Cheers Denise and thanks for joining me in the kitchen :D)
Those baked apples are making my mouth water. I can taste them now. Yum!
ReplyDeleteYour hubby is very clever and inventive to come up with tools to make life easier for you. A very handy fella to have around.
Nothing wrong with your pantry – goodness, you should see ours. :)
They're such a sweet variety from the orchard that hardly any sugar was needed :D)
DeleteYep, since a few things went bung on me, he's had a think and then disappears out to the shed and comes back in with something else to make life easier. He's a beaut all right!
Ha ha, yes, thanks - there's been a few pantry secrets shared here. I was in a devil-may-care mood the day I posted that photo ;D)