Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Wednesday's Post ~ Orange Bliss

I decided to take the easy way out to photograph the pretty under-side of our Abutilons (or more commonly known as Chinese Lanterns) and so took a plant-selfie, instead of getting down on to ground level as I used to do:


... a bit of trial and error, but they turned out ok.



Here are some more conventional views of this plant,  taken where it is growing near the fish pond.
From bud stage:

... to full flower.  I love this apricot colour:



Here are some more that don't get quite as looked after, as they're right down in the back yard growing against the rusty old corrugated iron and wire fence:




They're doing ok and, considering the hot months they've just endured, they really are doing ok!


Just for fun I couldn't resist doing a quick abstracty painting this morning of them:


... and, finally, I then picked them to use in a Welcome bouquet for our dear visitor of last week:





Linking with Riitta at Floral Bliss:




51 comments:

  1. Your flower photos are gorgeous, love the angle you used to take them, and the painting is fabulous. It would also be a nice entry for the Botanical challenge at Try it on Tuesday (http://tuesdaytaggers.blogspot.de/) if you would like to link it. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie! Glad you enjoyed them, I always love to photograph these ones from underneath... their thin (but tough) petals are gorgeous with the line shining through.
      Thanks for your invitation for Tuesdays... I shall check it out. I'm a bit naughty though, I've joined a few memes now but am falling behind lately because I can't keep up :D)

      Delete
  2. Your painting is gorgeous and so are your photos & bouquet with such great colors (The background too)! I so wish I could grow eucalyptus here.... What is that fabulous purple flower on your banner? Have a nice day Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Riitta :D) It's a bromeliad but I don't know it's name but out of all those strappy leaves this beautiful stem appears and slowly turns into those colours... I never cease to be delighted by it.

      Delete
    2. Riitta, I suddenly remembered (when looking at it again) the common name for it... matchstick bromeliad.
      So I googled, and it's Bromeliad - Aechmea gamosepala - Matchstick Bromeliad.
      Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Lovely set of photos and painting. The bouquet is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carol, always lovely to see you... thanks for your lovely comment :D)

      Delete
  4. My favorite shot is the lantern flower facing downwards against the rusty corrugated iron and wire fence background:) Simply beautiful!! You're truly an artist Sue:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, it's always nice to know a favourite. That fence does provide a nice backdrop. Lovely to have you visit :D)

      Delete
  5. A gorgeous painting, Sue, and lovely photos. I love Chinese Lanterns and have seen some here in Montreal as well! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Linda. Beaut to know they're spread far and wide ;D)

      Delete
  6. Sue lovely photos and a beautiful paintings. Have a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaut to see you again Nicole, thanks for visiting :D)

      Delete
  7. Hello, they are gorgeous flowers. I like your abstract too, very pretty. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, that's lovely ... and thank you, you've made my day! :D)

      Delete
  8. Dear Sue I love that apricot color as well. This is a lovely flower. Your abstract sketch is wonderful too. Isn't it great fun to pick a bouquet and then paint and sketch them? Looks like you are having a delightful day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really stands out in the garden that colour doesn't it Debbie. Glad you like it and my little sketch. Yes, I do love to make up a bouquet, they're always a lovely welcome to someone special :D)

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful flower! I was just thinking while looking at the photo, they would be great to paint! Your painting of them is gorgeous, love the loose style and the bright colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is really appreciated Nordljus - I think sometimes Mother Nature has a good chuckle at my efforts, but it's all good fun and time well spent. Thanks for your lovely thoughts :D)

      Delete
  10. Oh, how gorgeous is the first photo !!! An absolutely amazing! I like a lot about this flower. My mother had them constantly before the pot. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Anne, I really like that they appeal to you for that reason. Thanks for telling me :D)

      Delete
  11. Your Painting is so great, and the shots too.
    In Germany this flowers have the name: Lampionblume
    Greetings
    Kirsi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kirsi, thanks very much, so kind... and also for the name you know it by :D)

      Delete
  12. such an interesting flower, like crepe paper, and what a beautiful color. as i was viewing the images i was hoping to see a painting of it and then - there it was. you did it justice and once again i LOVE your little bouquet!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, yes, thanks, it is ... I always love the patterns on each petal. Aw, thank you, so glad I did that painting, it nearly didn't see the light of day (lol), but I keep them all now and show them very happily because I love my hobby so much.
      Beaut to have you visit... cheers :D)

      Delete
  13. They really do look like little lanterns! Such a pretty flower and your painting captures their glowing beauty! Lovely in the arrangement, too. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beaut when flowers (or anything really) are named so aptly isn't it! Glad you enjoyed everything, thanks so much Karen :D)

      Delete
  14. they are lovely flowers!

    your inner artist springs upon nature so naturally my friend as this painting do look fabulous.
    loved the vase and arrangement of bouquet so much.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Baili, I have been taking a while to get around to everyone over the past little while, I'm off to see you right now for a catch-up!
      Thanks very much for your kind words, I'm really pleased you've enjoyed my post... cheers :D)

      Delete
  15. Such a delightful post, your Abutilons are so lovely and your painting of them wonderful. They look lovely in the little flower arrangement too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very kindly Rosie - how lovely of you to visit :D)

      Delete
  16. The Chinese lantern flower looks so paper thin in the selfie shot. Some plants seem to thrive during the hot weather. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really thin looking petal, but amazingly tough - I'm always fascinated by these. Thanks for your thoughts :D)

      Delete
  17. Beautiful flowers and I like your painting too!

    That is such a lovely welcome bouquet for your dear visitor ...

    All the best Jan

    PS I love the purple flowers in your header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan, many thanks for leaving your lovely comments :D)

      Delete
  18. o, this is a flower from my childhood. My mother used to have them.
    Thanks for the memorylane :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy that they gave you such a lovely memory Monica, thanks for letting me know :D)

      Delete
  19. Wow. How beautiful are those Chinese lanterns? You are right...they certainly do resemble the lanterns with their crinkly looking petals. And, the color is very pretty. What a pretty welcome bouquet, with the eucalyptus (I think). And, the best is your abstract of the blooms. You can paint on a quick short notice, that is so remarkable. I haven't painted anything yet. I do have a sketch done, but, now I'm feeling intimidated by it. I'll get to it at some point. Love your sweet little mouse under the fern. Have a wonderful day, Sue! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Suzanne, so glad you enjoyed seeing them - isn't there a stunning array of flowers to be seen all over the world! Yes, that's the Argyle Apple Eucalypt leaves that I always use in my bouquets.
      Thanks for your kind words about my painting too. Oh, please don't go feeling intimidated by the thought of going further with your sketch... I know what you mean, it's a normal feeling and I bet every single person who paints will tell you that too. One day, when the time is right, just think "what the heck" and pick up your paintbrush and go for it... ok?
      Little mouse is such a shy one, he loves me to move him around from one hidey hole to another ;D) Cheers now xx

      Delete
  20. wow, i love the bouquet and your painting. The flower photos are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sue, I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to get over here for a visit. With my computer​ going bonkers, twice in three days and me painting today and now trying to visit blogs I seem to see no end :)
    But I am here now and I love these flowers... gorgeous photos and you art... Wow!!! You captured these flowers beautifully!!!

    Great Big Hugs 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that technical term "bonkers" - it explains everything exactly doesn't it. Not only does it go bonkers but it makes you feel bonkers when our computers decide to stack on a turn!!

      No need to be sorry one little bit, we've all been there ... and real life needs attending to. That's one of the best things about blogging, we can come and go at our own pace, and everyone understands. So slow down ;D)

      Thanks so much for your lovely comments... see you for PPF real soon.

      Firstly though, I'd better go and make hubby and I some food - cheers!

      Delete
  22. that's what fascinates me with these flowers Nora... and I'm glad I figured out another way to take their photos! The selfie-mode is a great one. Cheers and thanks for your visit :D)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great pictures Sue. We had some once but they kept popping up all over the place so had to be culled! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lin, I'm sorry I took so long to reply to your lovely comment.
      Fortunately, I've got them in the 'wild' sections of our garden so if they roam that's ok ;D)

      Delete
  24. Great shots of this lovely flower. I have a white on in my garden for the first time and I'm quite happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whites (and even greys) can be most beautiful additions to the garden - as yours have really shown! Thanks for your visit :D)

      Delete
  25. Ah, I found your comment on my "other" blog (my art one) and am sorry I haven't looked on that for a while - so, sorry I did not get back to you! But then I saw you also post on Floral Bliss (I can't leave a comment there, because they have a googl+ on there, and don't allow other profiles like wordpress).
    I see you like painting. Hope you also have some bigger brushes for backgrounds in watercolor:) Anyways, a delightful painting of the pink flowers in the vase:)
    PS if you like to write me back, my current blog is on artworkdsfromjeshstg(dot)wordpress(dot)com
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chinese lantern flowers are so delicate, and you have captured them perfectly, both in your photos and with your paints.

    I think you may have been a florist in a past life, because you have a real eye for colour, shape and floral arrangement. Orange and purple go together so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree about their delicacy Vicki... glad you liked my little take on them.
      Those colours are gorgeous together and I'm drawn to them even without realising it sometimes! You make me feel very humble - thanks so much, I love playing with flower bouquets :D) xx

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx