5th January 2017 This morning I took down Henny Penny's brekkie and look what I found in the far corner of the yard!
What a lovely surprise!! One was fresh laid this morning, still warm... and we hadn't noticed yesterday's.
We let her out late yesterday for a free range and while she was happy to pick and peck around the area, she made no attempt to go further afield. Come roosting time, she walked back into the yard and up into the roost all by her own choice.
Guess we've officially been adopted! Yay :D)
Hello!
A wandering chook adopted us after MD saved it from an impending dog attack. It spent the night on the drying rack on our verandah. That was 3 days ago and I'd mentioned it in my previous post.
Updating.... day two. Feral chookie kept hanging around our yard (to our delight), and come evening, look who I saw peeping through the window:
aww, so cute. Who could resist those gorgeous chookie eyes... so she stayed another night, this time perched on the top of a chair.
She then spent another day happily coming to and from our yard. The dog came back with a friend in the morning but our Red Wattlebirds raised the alarm .... I kid you not, they're so possessive of a certain Grevillea tree that they clack clack at anyone or anything that dares stand near it. So we saw the dogs off straight away.
Last night, sure enough, the now familiar rattle of a chair... we looked out and there was Henny Penny (oh gosh, we've even given her a name now!)
She was turning this way and that and couldn't get comfy.
Please let me in, she seems to be saying!
I couldn't stand to see her being so uncomfortable and as she was allowing me to be so close to take pics with the phone camera I took a chance at going up to her.
She didn't seem to mind when I lifted her up, so off down to our empty chook shed (are still waiting for 6 chooks MD had ordered a while ago).
She didn't mind at all, chose the back rung and settled in ok.
Here she is just a couple of minutes ago... enjoying brekkie:
We'll let her get used to the night perch and then she can wander at her will during the day when we're home to keep an eye on her.
She'll decide whether she wants to go back to her home, or someone may come a'knocking for her, but at least she's safe.
Cheerio for now and thanks, as always, for taking the time to visit :D)







Always exciting to be "adopted" by a - I was going to say a wild creature but she isn't is she? Thanks for the update. I hope nobody claims her. She seems really happy with you.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jenny, this whole turn of events has been lovely to be a part of. She's sulking a bit today at having to stay in the chook yard but another day or two and she'll be allowed to come and go as she pleases :D)
DeleteWell done chook rescuer
ReplyDeleteha ha, yay, thanks Diane! :D)
DeleteIt is so cute of Henny Penny to be peeking in your window! Looks like she adopted you, and you already have accommodations, and food. Good thing the Wattlebirds were around to scare the dogs off. Love your photos. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteIsn't she! That really got to me the way she kept looking in. The first night I was behind the window and it wasn't just that she was looking at her reflection.
DeleteOur wattlebirds amaze us at times... the Red Wattlebirds get cranky as heck when "their" tree is approached. I sometimes set them straight on exactly who owns it, but it's real good how they raise the alarm such as the dogs!
Cheers now :D)
Love Henny Penny. Looks like you have been adopted lol
ReplyDeleteIt does doesn't it Angela! We missed having chooks a lot but now we're able to once more and all set up, then Henny Penny turns up. Hope she decides to stay. Thanks for your visit too :D)
DeleteThat is just too convenient you having a chook shed handy. She must have known there were 5 star accomodation at your place.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely Joan!! Methinks she'd been checking out our place, saw there were vacancies and did an upgrade ;D)
Deleteyou know i LOVE this story...thank goodness EVERYONE is looking out for her. is it just a coincidence that you have a home all ready for her, i think not. i think she found a new home, or did you find a new pet?? it's all just perfect
ReplyDeletei hope no one comes looking for her - she has made her choice and i personally think it was a great one!!!
Oh yes, things just come together when they're meant to in life don't they! As MD said, someone would've come looking for her by now! So I'm kind of hoping that, yes, we've found a new pet... in the meantime, she's been exchanging happy sounds with all the neighbouring chooks and settling in. btw, she adores my left-over spaghetti, gave her the last of it for her night time snack before she tucked in again for the night.
DeleteBeaut of you to drop by, cheers Debbie :D) xx
Just went down and checked on her this morning, such a friendly little Henny Penny she is too. I gave her milky wholegrain toast and oats... MD bought proper food yesterday but, well, I like to spoil her ;D)
Deletemy knitting teacher has chickens and she feeds them spaghetti also, they love it!!!
Deletei would spoil her too!! can you imagine what she is thinking..."boy did i luck out, i'm not going anywhere"!!
lol, fake worms!
DeleteYes, she does look kind of comfy here ;D)
I love chickens Sue.
ReplyDeleteI can understand that indeed, they're so dear aren't they.
DeleteWe love "chook-gazing" as we call it. It's fun just standing and watching all their doings.
Lovely of you to visit Bob, thank you :D)
Hello, Sue! I enjoyed the Chookie story and the Henny Penny name. I am glad she found your home. Cute photos. Enjoy your day and the week ahead! Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteHi there Eileen, glad you enjoyed all my clucking around about Henny Penny ;D) Have a great week too, cheers now !
Deletecool, never heard of anyone being adopted by a hen :)
ReplyDeleteActually, now that you've put it like that... I do feel like we've been taken under her wing!! ;D)
DeleteSuch a great post, Sue! I absolutely love chickens! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Linda, that's lovely to know. They're so nice to be around aren't they.
DeleteThis afternoon, just after 5.30, we let her out for a bit of a roam. MD and I sat on the grass together and enjoyed the late afternoon, keeping watch that she didn't come to any harm. Little Henny Penny was perfectly happy pecking around and discovering all the nice parts of the back yard (which is fenced off from the front yard where she first arrived). When her internal chookie clock obviously struck that time to return to the roost, she took herself back into the fenced off chook yard and enjoyed some food MD had scattered for her.
It would certainly seem Henny Penny has definitely happy to live with us. Cheers now :D)
I must admit that "chook" was a new word for me! Henny Penny sure is a friendly one!
ReplyDeleteHello Kenneth, lovely to receive your comment. Yes, "chooks" is how we refer to adult hens... or to a flock of hens and roosters. We refer to their young as chickens.
DeleteHenny Penny is a real delight that's for sure. She quietly laid an egg yesterday and today down in the corner of the chook yard. A lovely surprise. Cheers now :D)
Wow Sue! How exciting...eggs! You had no idea why you were chosen, it is official! She is such a joy! You did great on your update. I've never done that...great photos! Have a great weekend. Maybe you will get a few more eggs! ♥
ReplyDeletelol, it is exciting!! Couldn't believe my eyes at first! The dear little hen is still laying too. Yes, enjoy your weekend too... thanks for popping over. Cheers for now :D)xx
DeleteYaY, this is so exciting, you have to make the egg in a basket!!
ReplyDeletehttp://itsallaboutpurple-debbie.blogspot.com/2017/01/egg-in-basket.html
Thanks Debbie, definitely will... lol, the size of Henny Penny's eggs though, will need two per basket ;D)
DeleteThat's a yummy post of yours and I've made it into a direct link for anyone who cares to visit your lovely blog: Debbie's Egg in a Basket
So good to read this, and look at your photo's.
ReplyDeleteGreat stuff, and great post.
All the best Jan
You're most welcome, thank you Jan! :D)
DeleteNice one Sue! Loved your post and the photos of Henny Penny. May she settle in quickly.
ReplyDeleteAw thank you Lynda. Really glad you enjoyed them :D)
DeleteHenny Penny has moved all her luggage in and is making herself right at home... she's just about got us both trained as well ;D)
Hello Sue, I’m so pleased you’ve given ‘Henny Penny’ a name and a home. I think those two eggs are her way of saying thank you. Thanks for paying a visit to my blog and for leaving a comment. Barbara
ReplyDeleteHi there Barbara, we're very happy to have her... I keep marvelling at how timing is everything in life - when something is meant to happen it happens. Henny Penny happened to us at the absolutely right time.
DeleteYour blog is lovely and it was my pleasure to visit. See you next time, cheerio for now :D)
So thrilled that Henny Penny has decided to adopt you. Methinks it was meant to be. xx
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely and totally agree Vicki.
DeleteShe has us trained so well now, her day goes very happily:
Once she's laid her egg she calls out and one of us immediately let her out of the yard while the other prepares her reward feed.
After approving and eating she then takes a leisurely stroll through the vegie patch, checks out the compost pile and then through to the first backyard to the Lilly Pilly tree. There she will dig another "sitting hole" - new ones must be dug each day ... her rules.
An hour later she can hear us inside the house so she comes to the back door and requests another reward feed ... for allowing us to be her new carers I guess ;D)
The rest of the day is spent running after grasshoppers, catching various insects, stealing the strawberry tops (left by MD) from Anna, the blue-tongue goanna. Digging a fresh hole for her dust bath - a "sitting hole" would never do (apparently!!!).
Then, about 6.30 pm she'll sashay her way back down to her enclosure and wait outside, not too patiently - tapping her feet and getting a slow cluck up for her goodnight feed.
Ah yes, we think she's happy with us ;D)
how sweet I enjoyed the pics - and also the two birds up above.
ReplyDelete