We enjoy watching the babies being fed while we drink our morning coffee on the verandah, and I managed to capture a full feeding.
Here's a little one on the branch just across from where we sit:
| 🐦 The baby is showing its brush tip (tongue) to tell Mum, or Dad, to hurry up and get some food. |
Now baby has flown on to the shadehouse roof and is getting all excited because food is coming:
| 🐦 Both parents take turns to feed the baby |
It's a bit blurry in some of these pics, but the action happens real fast so I keep my finger on the shutter button!
| 🐦 Open wide |
Here's a closeup of the previous photo:
| 🐦 Contact! |
| 🐦 Must've been tasty, baby is "licking" its beak |
Off goes a parent for more food:
The time between each feed that morning was 5 to 6 minutes - and I kept watch for just over an hour... lol, exhausting or what, no wonder the parents both tend to baby. I'm not sure how long this frenetic feeding routine lasts, but feel it could be a couple of days and then things seem to calm down a bit.
We particularly like the Little Wattlebirds for their friendly and quiet nature, as against the Red Wattlebirds who, in our yard at least, seem to be in a constant bad mood!
I got all inspired and painted this watercolour (with inkpen) last night... to add a little dash of colour at the end of the post:
~ 🐦 Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog 🐦~
I hope you've enjoyed sharing our morning fun with the birds as I join in with
Stewarts Wild Bird Wednesday.
There are lots of other birds to be seen if you'd like to click on the image below:

I love your header painting and I love the painting at the end of this post too ... lovely colours.
ReplyDeleteYou caught the birds feeding really well, lovely to see.
The parents are kept busy!
All the best Jan
Hi there Jan, thankyou so kindly - really glad you enjoyed my painting efforts, and also the birds... it really was a thrill capturing their feeding. Cheers now :D)
DeleteOh, I just love your painting of the wattlebird at the end of your post. And, what fun to capture the parents feeding the baby! What do you think they feed the baby?One day, I will try to sit outside to catch some of the birds at our feeders. We do get some different species from time to time.
ReplyDeleteAgain, I really like your header painting! Your watercolors are so unique! Have a great week, Sue. See you soon. ♥
Hello Suzanne, lovely to read your words - thanks very much :D)
DeleteThe adults feed on nectar, some fruits, berries and I've seen them capture insects during flight (later afternoons mainly). I think they'd feed the babies probably a well mashed up combo of those things? I couldn't find anywhere that goes into that detail.
That act of feeding was a split second and, boy, was I happy to have captured it.
Lovely to see you again Suzanne, hugs and enjoy your week too xx
Dear Sue - I hopped over here from Barbara's post. What a delightful place to visit. Love your art too Looks like we both enjoy many of the same lovely things. Will be coming back again soon. So glad to meet you.
ReplyDeleteHi Debbie, so great to see you here - welcome. Glad you enjoyed the visit as I did to your spot - so peaceful.
DeleteAbsolutely, that was the conclusion I came to as well and it's really beaut to come across people with like interests.
Cheers and see you soon :D)
Your watercolour is gorgeous, Sue!!! And your photos are so lovely and delightful.
ReplyDeleteTotally pleased you enjoyed them all Linda! Thanks for your kind comments, cheerio for now :D)
DeleteLove the painting. Beautiful. So very talented
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Angela - am having fun making up for all the years I fiddled around thinking I needed perfection before I got started... ha ha I don't publish my crap ones... or perhaps one day I may just for the heck of it ;D)
DeleteNice sequence of shots. Our Little Wattlebirds are in a constant state of war with the New Holland Honeyeaters.
ReplyDeleteHi Mosura, thank you kindly. We've only noticed one or two visits from the New Holland Honeyeaters - very fleeting, perhaps that was why... they got shown the door by our Little Wattlebirds!!!
DeleteThanks for your visit, cheers now :D)
I've never heard of the Little Wattlebirds, oh, aren't they wonderful, thanks Sue.
ReplyDeleteThanks Bob, they are indeed :D)
DeleteWe read that they like tiny pieces of cheese, so we left some out but those bossy boots Red Wattlebirds gobbled it up!
Thanks for your visit.
Thank you Sue - good to have you around again. I may not always comment but I love seeing your photographs and paintings. xx
ReplyDeleteThat's really lovely of you to say Lin. I'm really appreciative of your welcome back, thank you kindly.
DeleteSometimes it's just nice to call in for a quick read, I've done that myself and really understand.
I'm glad you enjoy my posts and I'll see you soon. Cheerio :D)
Hello, Sue! Your Little Wattlebirds are cute. They are great parents, it is cute seeing them feed their baby. Your watercolor is lovely, you are talented. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!
ReplyDeleteLovely to see you here Eileen, yes their parenting was amazing to watch!
DeleteThanks for your visit and I'm real happy you enjoyed the watercolour :D)
beautiful, loving images!! birds are such nurturing creatures and good caregivers!!
ReplyDeletefeeding these little babies is so exhausting for momma & watching and photographing them even more exhausting! your watercolor is beautiful, it will always be a great reminder of this fun time!!! nice to see you today sue!!!
Hi Debbie, the amount of food they gather must be incredible for their little sizes.
DeleteThe little one would try its wings and kind of flutter-fly down into different parts under the shadehouse. Mum and Dad always found it because about 15 seconds before either of them would appear, the baby would start calling... the parents would've still been quite a distance away.
So, I'm still not sure if they come whenever the baby called, or if they gave some kind of call (unheard by me) as if saying "we're coming, where are you?)!!
Gorgeously gorgeous aren't they! :D)xx
i have the same experience with the baby birds here in my yard, especially the blue jays!!
Delete... that's nice Debbie, and it's fun sharing those experiences with you :D)
DeleteNice images Sue. Yes, those young birds just seem to need lots of food. I guess they have a lot of growing to do in just a few weeks. Two or three wekes and they are on their own in the big wide world.
ReplyDeleteHello Phil, yes their growth rate is really incredible. I'm glad we have a fairly protected garden here! Thanks for dropping by, and cheers :D)
DeleteAmazing bird pictures! A special bird, I have never seen the pictures. Absolutely gorgeous piece of art! Absolutely stunning colors! Greetings
ReplyDeleteThank you very kindly Anne for your lovely comment and visit :D)
Deletewell, can´t think of a better entertainment for breakfast :)
ReplyDeleteHa ha, definitely, who could ask for anything more! Beaut of you to leave your comment, enjoy your day :D)
DeleteBaby looks almost as big as the parents. But those are amazing pictures, and so well observed. I love your picture - so bright and colourful - I found myself wondering what kind of bush that was.
ReplyDeleteHi there Jenny, yes it certainly does... We have to look closely sometimes when they're on their own to try and work out which is which.
DeleteThanks for your lovely comments on this post.
The bush in the painting is supposed to be a Protea - I don't stick too close to reality at times (too much pressure to get it right). Cheers now :D)
Great series of photos. We have a host of them in the garden - too many really as they bully the smaller birds.
ReplyDeleteHello Liz, thanks for dropping by. We find the Red Wattlebirds are the bullies in our yard, these Little Wattlebirds have quite a different nature and are more solitary.
DeleteI noticed you have some dear Fairy Wrens in your post - they're gorgeous.
Cheerio for now :D_
Beautiful painted. Great photos.
ReplyDeleteHello Anu, many thanks for your visit and for commenting... appreciated :D)
DeleteWonderful photos, and I like your watercolor, too!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your visit and comment on my blog
Thanks so much Lea, it's lovely being able to connect with like-minded people. I appreciate you dropping by :DO
Delete*:D) am getting this little thing wrong lately !
DeleteSue, I love your painting of the wattlebird, which I have never heard of before. I love how he is nestled in the flowers. I also think your photography skills are superb. What very clear pictures you made of the feeding!
ReplyDeleteHi there Faye, and I too love seeing them dig their lovely long curved beaks into the flowers! Glad you enjoyed the painting, it's a good use for my photos too as I'm not quick enough to paint these scenes as they're happening. Thanks for your visit today, cheers :D)
DeleteHow fortunate you are to have them breeding in your garden. Just wonderful.
ReplyDeleteWe are Lynda, I think that very thought each day - so fortunate! :D)
DeleteGreat photos, Sue. Amazing that you were able to capture a close-up of mum feeding her fledgling. We are so privileged to be able to witness nature like this, aren't we?
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Vicki (loving that cute little Robin in your profile pic).
DeleteThat miniscule moment of contact by Mum to baby was only 1 frame in my multi-shots, it's over with that quick. I kept thinking that surely it didn't capture... so thrilled when I saw it had - what a good little camera ;D)
Yep, to see things like that - so close too - is incredible and, yes, we're so privileged.