Sunday, January 15, 2017

Recycled Pickling

We blame our Son ;D)

He suggested we try a certain brand of pickled onions and, boy, did we get hooked!

Anyway, with MD's onion patch bearing nicely... and two jars of leftover bits of pickled onions in the fridge, we both came up with the same idea that perhaps we could re-use the pickling liquid. It was very tasty and too good to throw out.

Turns out Mr Google said that, as long as the liquid hadn't gone cloudy, we could!  So we did:
First off, the picking/lifting of the onions.
⭄Note the handy onion-lifting thingy MD crafted... finger knotches and all!
He's always coming up with these nifty type of things - love my dear inventive man 💘

Into the sink for a quick clean-up:
OK... here's where the whinging starts!
Did I say "quick" clean up.  Oh goodness, I kept breaking into new layers. Clingy thin annoying sticky layers,
which then required more and more skins to be removed ... oh will this torture ever end, what was I thinking... blah blah


Finally,  all cleaned, topped and tailed, pickling brine gently
simmered for a little while, jars sterilised... pack in the
onions (hooray I calculated amount correctly - go me!!)


So pleased... even Froggie who watched on, fairly sceptically,
can't believe his eyes!


I'm getting a bit carried away here I know,
but I've never been one to bottle or pickle things
so it's a kind of a first in Susanland!
Two whole jars!!! and it only took ... um... a few hours (heh heh) ;D)
We've been eating them since I made this post.  Most delicious and very near to the originals. The onions had a lovely crunch too. 


~Thanks for popping over and reading this post ~

⚘ My proverbial hat off to those who bottle and pickle regularly ⚘  
(If anyone has a favourite pickled onion recipe - any hints, tips etc.  I'd really appreciate a link.  Would love to give it a try from scratch)

37 comments:

  1. My mouth literally watered when I saw this post. I LOVE pickled onions! Are the jars the Fehlberg's brand? Their pickled onions are my favourite — more like the English-style. I'm sure your home-made ones will be just as good. Fehlberg's also do a version of pickled onions with chillies — so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Serena, funny isn't it, people either totally love pickled onions or dislike them... no middle ground. Yes you're right on both counts re the brand. Our homemade, recycled ones still held about 90% of the original flavour I reckon. Mmmm cheese and pickled onion sandwiches, now my mouth is watering ;D)

      Delete
    2. Haha. Glad to hear your home-made ones held the flavour of the original brine. I'll bet they were even better being that they were home-made. When we have pickled onions in the house, I find it very hard to stay away from them. hehe

      Delete
    3. now that's coincidental you should mention pickled onions Serena - there must've been a lot of thoughts of them floating around in the past hour. I've been making lunch just now and when I happened to glance across at our last bottle in the frig, I'm pretty sure the numbers of those precious little things have dropped!!!! Not that I'm naming names but, well, I guess I can't be too accusing, he did grow them when all said and done ;D)
      Enjoy your weekend

      Delete
  2. I really love onions, and your frog is cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - and I shall pass that on to Froggie (he's been so keen to get back into a photo :D) )

      Delete
  3. Was it good? Looks delicious. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Anne, they were lovely and crisp and full of flavour. Apparently it could be recycled a third time, but I'm on the lookout for a recipe to start from scratch as we still have plenty of onions! Cheers :D)

      Delete
  4. You can't beat home pickled onions - the best!

    ReplyDelete

  5. I'm so excited to see your coffee art on your header today! Those are lovely!

    Your onions look so good. And, your presentations with Froggie and the roses, make them even more tempting. I know what you mean about peeling them. I love the small onions, but what a pain to peel! My son is wondering, if the same could be done when making pickles from cucumbers. He loves to make pickles from cucumbers, and sometimes has trouble getting the brine just right.

    Love your post with the gorgeous onions...have a wonderful day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coffee art header was all down to your suggestion Suzanne!! I had all those pics languishing around and decided to re-use them once you'd put that thought into my head :D_
      Oh, I'm so glad someone else hates peeling them - but, after a few whinges, it was well worth the effort.
      I reckon the exact same thing could be done when your son makes his pickles. They "who know these things" on the internet advised that as long as brine isn't cloudy, just give it a minute or so simmer and well seeing that he's a seasoned pickler he'd know the rest!
      Cheerio for now and Froggie says "Hi" too ;D)

      Delete
  6. I was just thinking of picking onions, fancy that Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about that Bob! I love it when things like that happen - wow, makes the world seem so small doesn't it.
      Enjoy those onions won't you - home grown are just the best.
      Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  7. Your frog is just great!!!

    So pleased you enjoyed these pickled onions... you should make some more!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, Froggie is definitely getting an even bigger head now - he loves those compliments ;D)
      I'm definitely going to make some more, these are going too fast!!

      Delete
  8. Sue... I am so happy that you paid me a visit today, because now I know of you and your wonderful blog!!! I just know that I am going to enjoy visiting here often!
    I do not can or pickle...But your photos truly make me want to try! Those onions look delicious!!!
    See you again soon...Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds, flowers, photography, painting oh, yes, and Froggie amongst other things - there's a lot of that that goes on here and with lovely blogfriends who visit. It was beaut to see you're addicted too... Welcome Jan and thanks for popping over. Cheerio for now :D)

      Delete
  9. truly loved this one!!!
    my mom [late] used to make pickle with onions ,garlic ,carrot and mangoes which were DELICIOUS.
    i believe it must be very tasty as looks mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Baili, thank you for giving your comment and I'm really glad that it brought back lovely (and delicious) memories for you. Your Mum's pickle is quite different to anything I've tried but it sounds delicious - with some cold meat perhaps :D)
      Cheerio for now

      Delete
  10. you could probably find a good recipe on line and check the label on these jars to see what was included. that would be a good start for you. i have never eaten anything pickled like this, i don't really like pickles ;(

    but yea for you for giving it a go. i am not a pickler - canner - jelly maker and i have always admired those people!! pat yourself on the back, it looks like you did good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, yes thanks the label says vinegar, spices. I had looked online and there are very precise ingredients in many variations. Was hoping some pickled onion lover had their own special brew ;D)
      Ha ha, I'm overthinking this most likely... and shall go buy me some pickling spices and wing it! There's still plenty of onions in MD's garden bed. Cheers :D)

      Delete
  11. Oh Sue - these looks excellent. Even though I do pickle and can have never did onions before. Hmm - need to put that on the list for a summer project. Certainly relate to cleaning those slippery devils too...by the time you get to where they are not sticking to you it seems like half the onion is gone. Good to know too about reusing the pickling juice...what a great idea. Hope you have a wonderful week and thanks so much for stopping by to visit me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... ha ha, that's exactly what I was thinking - it seemed the onions were shrinking before my eyes! Lovely to see you here Debbie, bye for now :D)

      Delete
  12. What a fabulous post. I don't pickle either and have always admired people who do. I bet the onions are delicious. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole, yes they are delicious ... we're down to about 10 now - and counting :D)

      Delete
  13. I used to pickle a lot when my kids were still here. But now they have married I tend to not plant as much and use most of it fresh
    Yes a lot of work. I'd spend all day preparing and pickling, bottling preserving and at the end there would be a few dozen bottles and jars and I'd be sooooo exhausted
    But the end product was delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did good Angela - I always admired people who went that extra mile and preserved food when their family were young. So much work!
      Hope you're surviving that blast of hot, super hot, air today ... crazy weather so early in the season eh!!
      Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  14. Home made is always worth the effort I reckon, even if it might have cost more than store bought. You know exactly what went into it and usually tastier. Well done. My last bottling effort was onion marmalade, delicious with cold meat or cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum Sandy, the onion marmalade sounds good!
      I do like homemade food, for the reasons you give ... just never got around to bottling etc.
      Cheers :D)

      Delete
    2. oh, actually, I just got a vague memory of many years ago doing a batch of green tomato pickle (obviously it was repressed because of ghastly outcome!!). It all ended up a thick mass - can't remember anything other than that, guess I got rid of it all pretty quick. Out of sight etc!

      Delete
  15. great tip Sue! I love pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pickles are great - we do them some times - but I eat the onions really too quickly!

    Cheers - Stewart M - (temporarily in) New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes, it's so easy to eat them too quickly ;D) Enjoy your time in New Zealand, see you next time at WBW. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. ha ha... oh yes, we'll second - and even third - that ;D)

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx