Having grown up near the sea, it was always fascinating watching the small silver fish darting and weaving just below the waterline.
Swimming amongst them was delightful... little girl fantasies of mermaids and so on ;D)
Back in 2013, painting some koi, in a pond, seemed like it might be fun and here's the result:
| "Three Koi" acrylic on canvas board |
I've always enjoyed looking at progress pics on others' blogs and, as I'd remembered to take some for this painting, thought I might do the same.
(I had a mad momentary thought, while taking the progress pics, that I could learn from my painting mistakes .... ha ha, well, that still hasn't happened! Never mind, onwards ...)
Progress Pic 1:
| I started out intending to do abstracty waterlillies Had no idea how to start the fish so I had a play around ... acrylic is so forgiving. |
Progress Pic 2:
| Quickly changed my mind re the waterlillies and used white as a second coat on the fish |
Progress Pic 3:
| oooooh having trouble with the fish, so whacked on another coat of white paint. Poised to do a complete paint-over .....uh no, one more try. |
Progress Pic 4:
🐟 Thanks for your visit - always much appreciated 🐟
Very happily linking to Kristin and Eva's

I love your fish, but I must admit that I love to eat fish, too! Wonderful paining, thanks for showing the progress shots. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie
ReplyDeleteThanks Valerie - and we like to eat them as well ;D)
DeleteGlad you liked them. Happy painting!
Hello, your painting of the fish are pretty. I love all the colors, so bright and cheery. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteGreat to see you again Eileen. The colours eventually brightened up didn't they, it took a while - thanks for your happy greetings :D)
DeleteI love your fish, especially the final painting you used gold and silver. They are so live! It's interesting to read and see your progress with tem. I also like the the flowers you painted.
ReplyDeleteHappy PPF xx
Thank you so much Sirkkis - yes I do love the effect of them in a painting and I was glad they showed up a little bit in the photo too. Have fun today :D)
DeleteI love your progress paintings. Such pretty and colorful fish.
ReplyDeleteHi Denise, so glad you enjoyed them... I don't often think to do that either. Cheers :D)
DeleteWOW! Spectacular fish! The background is the opposite of fine detail for fish.
ReplyDeleteLovely - I'm thrilled at your reaction, thanks Anne. Yes, I kind of threw in an abstract and then tried to get real!! :D)
DeleteI like seeing progress pics tooSue, thanks for showing yours. What sort of paper do you use? - there seems like an awful lot of paint on those fish. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Lin. For this painting it was canvas with board backing and I used acrylic paints. When I do watercolours, they're on 300gsm rough tooth.
DeleteYes, I did many layers of paint on the fish because I didn't have a plan on how I was going to paint them, which is quite often my usual approach ;D) With the quick drying nature of acrylic, I can paint over and over until I get something that feels ok! Cheers now.
I used to have my own pond and had many koi. I think they are beautifully portrayed in your painting. I would never eat a Koi! I am amzed at the way you painted the scales, great!
ReplyDeletePonds are great - and how lucky were you to have had koi!! I'm really touched that you think of my painting in that way, thank you.
Deletelol, no, no eating of koi!! Have a great day :D)
What a beautiful painting! My husband was one of the greatest fishermen and I know he wished I could paint fish. I just couldn't. We had other artists' fish paintings in the house, but not mine.
ReplyDeleteThank you kindly :D)
DeleteI bet you cooked his fish up a treat Faye - beautiful art on a plate to celebrate his catches!
Lovely to have you visit. Happy PPF :D)
thank you for the progress photos Sue. Your koi fish are super!! And how lucky to live near the sea...
ReplyDeletehappy PPF!
Really pleased to know you liked them Linda - thanks very much. We were lucky indeed - sandwiches on the beach in the cool of the evening was a treat too :D)
DeleteSue...I enjoyed seeing each step you took to achieve that beautiful painting!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat art!!! Those koi look as if they are going to swim right off that paper...wow!!!
I'm happy that I joined PPF :)
Thanks so much Jan! Funny how they can evolve - I had a bit of a friendly wrestle with them but got there. Happy PPF, gets us all inspired doesn't it :D)
DeleteSue, I love seeing the progress on your koi painting, and the painting is gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing!
ReplyDeleteReally appreciate your words Linda - always lovely to have you visit, cheers now :D)
Deleteyour painting is so beautiful, you have captured the sense of movement and spectacular colour. I love your memories of playing amongst the fish in childhood, what a joy.
ReplyDeleteHello Christine and it's nice of you to leave your lovely comment. Thanks for sharing my memories :D)
DeleteBeautiful texture on your fish! Happy PPF:)
ReplyDeleteIt's so good when it all kind of comes together - much appreciative of your feedback Martha :D)
DeleteWow your fish painting is beautiful. I do like seeing the progression as well. I try but sometimes I am in the moment of the art and don't think of photos.
ReplyDeleteOh yes Nicole, it's only on occasions I too remember to grab the camera - lovely to be lost in the painting :D)
DeleteI admired those fish scales in the finished picture so it was interesting to see step by step how you achieved the effect.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jenny, I forget after a while - it's a good reference for next time. Glad you enjoyed it :D)
DeleteI so love seeing progress-pics of other artists. It's always so interesting to see the changes and read about the thought processes. You did a great job with these fish. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteSeeing progressives on others blogs have always fascinated me, as well as the thought processes. Appreciate you leaving your comments, thanks Denthe :D)
DeleteLovely to see your progress and the amazing finished result.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great selection of colours, I do like it.
All the best Jan
My very good thanks Jan - always beaut to receive your comments. Have a great weekend :D)
Deletei enjoyed following along on your progress. this painting is a beauty, i happen to love all the purple ;)
ReplyDeleteOh yes dear purple one ... we have a mutual love eh!! What would the world be without purple of some kind in it - very dull indeed ;D)
DeleteTrying on frames for new glasses yesterday, I was umming and aaahing (am a totally frustrating decision maker), when MD pipes up and says "there, that purple pair" - perfectly perfect .. done and dusted. I shall take a photo when they arrive!!
Thanks for your lovely thoughts about the painting :D)xx
Your fishies are lovely.
ReplyDeleteThanking you most kindly Carol! Enjoy your weekend at Comfort Spring Station :D)
DeleteOOOO, I want to go fish!!!! What fun, loving the colors!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy PPF!
ha ha, that's delightful Peggy! Thank you - totally enjoying seeing everyones' art... it is a happy PPF :D)
DeleteThe progress shots are fascinating. The end result is lovely.Beautiful fishes!
ReplyDeleteThank you lots Indira - I'm so pleased you enjoyed them :D)
DeleteBeautiful painting, Sue! Loved the progress pics too. I also like seeing the process of other artists. I sometimes think to take progress shots of my sketch process but most of the times, I'm caught up in the moment.
ReplyDeleteI too used to love seeing the fish (we called them 'minnows') beneath the surface when I was a kid. I still get a kick out of it, in fact. I remember swimming in a large rock pool at Wynnum where the pool was filled with seawater which would go up and down with the tide. There was always little fish swimming around in the pool and it was a very popular spot for the tourists. I don't think it's there any more or it has been refurbished. Like you, I loved swimming among the fish. :)
Happy PPF!
Hi Serena, and thank you. I started out taking photos because I found I was able to pick out things that didn't look quite right immediately from a photo of my painting rather than just standing back and looking at it!
DeleteMinnows!!!! yes, that's the name of those little silver fishies - I even googled to try and find the name. Good on you Serena. It was especially beautiful when the sun was shining and they would literally sparkle underneath the water - I don't think those memories will ever fade (hope not).
I love the sound of that rockpool. It would've had an extra special appeal... definitely mermaid territory ;D)
Cheers now and how lovely that we could share those lovely childhood moments. Hope the weather is being kind to you up there.
We had strong winds yesterday but today is calm and gorgeous.
that was great seeing the progress - love your fishes.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Sandy :D)
DeleteIt was your paintings and drawings that really urged me on to try and paint.
Fun progress photos and commentary...made me chuckle at how fickle our thoughts can be!! Very nice outcome with great movement!
ReplyDeleteHugs Giggles
aw I'm totally thrilled, thanks Giggles! Aren't we fickle - indeed, ready to throw in the towel one moment and then on a high the next. All good fun and I like to think it keeps me out of trouble lol... never know what I could be getting up to otherwise ;D) Cheers!
DeleteGreat that you showed the progress. The final work is so pretty and colorful. Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteReally beaut to see you Riitta, I'm so glad that you and others were happy with the inclusion of the progress pics. I know I always liked to see others' - it's a real bareing of the soul isn't it.
DeleteThanks for your kind words and much happiness to you as well :D)
Love your fish and it's coming along great! Beautiful colours too!
ReplyDeleteI love the colours of Koi and had been wanting to do more of it. Have done one or two a couple of years back.
It's always great to see the progress of works...(y)
Thank you Deepa. Yes the colours, and patterns, of the koi just invite themselves to be painted don't they. I'm going to try and put more curves and movement into their bodies when I paint koi again.
DeleteI appreciate your comments :D)
cool to see all of the versions but still have the first one as favorite. Reminded me that I have some images of this fish from Honolulu, maybe I should take a look on them. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for that - those images you have would be something, they can grow to quite a size as we've seen in Thailand. Cheers now :D)
DeleteDear Sue I am so glad you shared photos of your progress. It is such a delight to see a painting come together and this one is lovely. Acrylics do seem to be much more forgiving than watercolors...think they tend to be more vibrant as well. Wonderful painting friend. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteHello Debbie, thanks very much - I'm truly happy to be able to enjoy my painting hobby and love switching between watercolours and acrylics.
DeleteCheers now and it's good to read in your email that your weather has calmed down a bit - enjoy! :D)
I always enjoy seeing paintings come to life, so thank you for sharing yours.
ReplyDeleteAcrylics are forgiving, but I haven't really embraced them enough yet. You inspire me to have another go.
Happy PPF to you
It's fun isn't it Neesie - yes, I best love to do intuitivey/abstract kind of things in acrylics... some of mine can have many many layers and cover ups ;D)
DeleteGood, I'm glad you'll have another go. Cheers now and enjoy your day :D)
What beautiful Koi, and, waterlilies! I'm sure it really helps to photograph the painting in progression. I love the scaling detail on the fish, and the overall rich colors of the painting! Just lovely! Have a great weekend, Sue ! ♥
ReplyDeleteHi there Suzanne, thank you so kindly - gets me all motivated to paint some more now!
DeleteGlad you enjoyed them, it's fun playing with gold paint too.
Have a lovely evening ... nearly coffee time Sunday here ;D)
Marvelous painting of the Koi ~ love the process photos too ~ thanks,
ReplyDeleteWishing you a Happy Weekend ~ ^_^
Beaut of you to visit Carol and thanks for your feedback. Enjoy your weekend too :D)
DeleteYou're an artist Sue.
ReplyDeleteaw now Bob, thank you [b i g g r i n]
DeleteWe have fish in our pond but they hide most of the time. So you painting would have to be of the water weed it you were doing our pond.
ReplyDeleteReckon I'd just have to conjure up some imaginary fishies then Joan ;D)
DeleteHello Sue! I'm visiting late from PPF this week. I love your fish and I also love seeing process pics so thanks for sharing those! Isn't it funny how a painting can go through some less than lovely stages sometimes? Hope you have a great week. :)
ReplyDeleteHi there Laney, it's never too late is it :D)
DeleteThanks for having a look and giving your feedback. Yep, a lot of times I'll stand back and have a laugh at what I've done but I hate wasting paper or canvas so that's what keeps me going! All good fun in the end. Cheers now, I'm popping over to see yours now :D)
Fantastic artwork Sue! Thanks for sharing your creative process! Those fish look beautiful! Happy PPF :)
ReplyDeleteReally glad you enjoyed seeing it Mona, thank you kindly for those words. Happy painting this week! Cheers :D)
DeleteDearest Sue; Wow, you have a wonderful talent for painting! So great to see the progress or process as well♩ We can see many Koi in Japan; this is the chinese character for koi ”鯉". Fish lover husband really praised your work☆☆☆
ReplyDeleteSending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend, xoxo Miyako*
Thank you Miyako - I love what you have to say about my painting. I get a lot of enjoyment and I'm really happy to know the progress pictures were of interest too!
DeletePlease thank your husband for his kind words, I am thrilled!
Cheerio for now and thank you for your lovely visit :D)xx
I forgot to say how lovely it was of you to include the chinese character for koi... it is quite beautiful.
DeleteSo thoughtful of you :D)
Hello Sue, I love the flowing movement of the fish and enjoyed seeing the ‘before and after’ pictures. We used to have a pond in the garden of a previous house, and I would spend hours just watching the fish swimming around – it was very therapeutic. Your picture has me longing for another pond. I must just wake my husband up and fetch him a shovel! Can you imagine if I really did that he would have a fit, there is ice on the ground, and it is absolutely freezing. :-) x
ReplyDeleteHi Barbara, ha ha I had a chuckle at the visual you created - you, shovel, waking up hubby, needing fish pond - now - freezing weather... pretty please?
DeleteYes, I know what you mean about watching the fish. For a while I kept some in a square terracotta tub and that was nice. Last year our dear Son gave us a pond shape and MD has settled it into the ground beside my rainforest plantings (the weather was fine... no ice or snow lol ;D) ).
We sit beyond it on our verandah and watch the fish swimming, and an added bonus... the birds come to bathe. Cheers now :D)
These are fishes I would be willing to sleep with:-)
ReplyDeleteHa ha, well, that's one way of putting it! Cheers Granny Annie, nice to have you visit :D)
DeleteIt was interesting to see your progress how you got these lovely fish in the end. I agree, acrylics are so forgiving. Your painting is beautiful, I like it a lot.
ReplyDeleteHi Carola, Thank you kindly, I appreciate that.
DeleteSometimes I really rely on being able to paint over things, or to tweak something to get it just so and that's where I love acrylics.
Cheers :D)
Thanks for sharing your painting of the fish. Your progress photos were very interesting. I admire anyone that paints - it is quite outside my abilities!
ReplyDeleteReally glad you liked them Mick, thanks very much :D)
Deletei can see through your amazing paintings that how the fantasies of that little lovely girl turn into terrific form of art!!!
ReplyDeleteyour work is truly pleasure to eyes and displays the love of life ,nature and expression that come straight from your loving heat!
Hugs and best wishes for you dear friend!
sorry ,heart.
DeleteHello Baili, that's lovely, thank you very much. I appreciate what you say :D)
DeleteLove your fish, but I am even more enamoured with the glimpse behind the scenes, so to speak. :) Thanks so much for sharing, Sue.
ReplyDeleteThanks Vicki - and thank you for yours and Alan's support and encouragement in front of and behind the scenes all these years.
DeleteThat's what I love about the Paint Party Friday group too, it's inclusive of all styles and levels of abilities. I feel so comfortable bareing my self-taught, and sometimes, quite off-the-rails attempts :D)xx