Joining in with Stewart's Wild Bird Wednesday once again, after a long absence.
I'm thrilled to add my photos of a juvenile Satin Bower Bird having a bit of bathtime fun right outside our windows.
We love having the Bower Birds in our garden. Their arrival on the verandah is never quiet - they land with a thump and have taken over a certain bowl that I keep full of water.
We were extra delighted this year as they chose to breed in our garden and so we had the fun of watching their young develop. I was lucky enough to get some quick shots of this little one, out on its own and obviously doing a good job of getting cleaned up.
I feel a most stunning feature of theses birds are their piercing blue eyes. Here's a shot I took years ago.
![]() |
| Click on this image if you'd like to see an older post about these delightful birds. |
Thank you for your visit.
If you'd like to click on the image below and see what's happening over at Stewart's you can indulge your love of birds there too:


Fantastic shots of pretty bird.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Rajesh - I do agree, it's a pretty bird, and I appreciate your kind words re the photos :D)
DeleteThanks for stopping by my blog. Now, bower birds - don't they collect things for their nests or am I mixing them up with another bird. I scanned through your blog and you did take quite a break. It is definitely a commitment of time to keep it up. There have been many of my favorite blogs that gave up the ghost. Some with notice others with none. You always have to wonder what happened to them.
ReplyDeleteIt was lovely to see your blogpost showing the lake collection of wildlife Marcia.
DeleteYes, you're right about the bower birds - they build a kind of arch or bower out of sticks and then decorate the entrance and surrounds with items they've gleaned. Mostly blue items, bottletops, pens, pegs etc. The females inspect the bower and if it's deemed suitable then the courtship begins. I've never come across one in our garden but it's a fond wish that one day I shall. That's why we are so delighted that they're obviously breeding within our area... perhaps the courtship also took place nearby!
Thank you for your visit Marcia - it's good to be back sharing our love of birds on WBW. Cheerio for now :D)
ooooh those youngins' are never quiet and like tweens, they are always on the move. it's a nice looking bird, so much yellow under those pretty wings. your images are lovely!!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Debbie - you're so right... I've seen all those cuties outside your windows too!
DeleteI love it when they fluff out and preen, so often there's the added delight of a bright colour under the wings or on the chests or even under the tails of birds aren't there. Always a thrill when looking closer on the computer screen.
Cheers Debbie and thanks for all your visits and happy feelings :D)
How lovely to have bower birds nesting in your garden. A real treat!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely Linda, it is - how cool is that. Never quite sure where they are as they're all over the place. So awkward and gangly at times... and that's the adults!! They have a unique call too, so we know when they're near.
DeleteLovely to have you visit, cheerio for now :D)
... oops, Lynda is how I should have spelt your name, sorry about that ;D)
DeleteThese are lovely photo's.
ReplyDeleteIt's great being able to enjoy the birds that visit the garden ...
All the best Jan
Hi Jan, and thank you... I appreciate that. This one was so intent on having fun in the bowl that me being at the window clicking away didn't bother it at all.
DeleteIt's a daily delight seeing the birds, especially now the weather is such that we can sit out and have our morning coffee on the verandah and watch them.
Cheerio for now :D)
Such gorgeous photos, Sue! I love how you captured all the beautiful details! Lovely series!
ReplyDeleteVery kind, thanks so much Linda - the little one certainly stayed put and I took far too many but thank goodness for digital cameras eh!! Cheers now :D)
DeleteBeautiful bird and photos. You're very lucky having them nest in your garden. It's not a bird we see down here in Tasmania.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your visit Mosura. We really do feel so pleased to be able to include the Bower Birds amongst our backyard wildlife.
DeleteMy husband is busy re-vamping the netting over his orchard, he watched how cleverly they kept hunting around trying to find an entry into it. He's got them fooled now we think!!
I thoroughly enjoyed your Nature of Tasmania videos, you're doing a great job documenting all the wildlife over there. Keep up the good work.
Cheers now :D)
How lucky are you to have Bower Birds in your yard. Great shots too.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Diane... we enjoy them while they're here, come Winter they've gone - off to more open land apparently; but at least they always return for their breeding times. Appreciate your visit :D)
DeleteGreat bath time photos!
ReplyDeleteHello Lea - really glad you liked them, thank you :D)
DeleteHow cute! I love those action shots when the bird is shaking off his bathwater.
ReplyDeleteHi there Connie, thanks very much. Even if we haven't heard the birds in their bowl bath, there's plenty of evidence around the bowl of a visitor!
DeleteI loved your idea for a bird feeding treat and am going to collect some pine cones... soon... too hot and humid here at the moment to go any further than the immediate garden! (whinge lol!!) Cheerio now :D)
I agree with you on their amazing eyes! How wonderful to have bowerbirds in your garden, and even on your verandah!
ReplyDeleteHi Christian, yes, that blue really is so deep! We were having coffee out on the verandah and an adult Bower Bird couldn't wait for us to finish and go inside so it took its bath in the bowl there and then, just a short distance away. Needless to say we both held our breath - no photos, just held breath!
DeleteThanks for your visit, cheerio for now :D)
such a lovely bird and gorgeous images. I also like your header where it seem to stand guard to your flowerpots.
ReplyDeleteI visited Queensland two years ago but did not see this one.
Thanks so much for your visit and comments. Glad you like the header... it struck such an inquisitive pose, I was photographing out from our kitchen window for that one... it could hear a noise I guess but wasn't sure from where! Cheers :D)
DeleteHello Sue, awesome shots of your Bower Bird. Their blue eyes are beautiful. Enjoy your weekend! I wish you all the best in 2017, Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteAppreciating your good wishes thanks Eileen - have a great 2017 yourself. Beaut to know you enjoyed those shots, so many birds the world over eh!! Bye for now :D)
DeleteAww... how cute is that. The bower bird's brilliant blue eyes are like gems, aren't they? Watching birds bathe is one of the highlights of my day. What does that make me? A bird stalker? ;-P
ReplyDeleteOh those eyes - if not for having seen one of your blog photos years ago now I wouldn't have realised how piercing blue they actually were. Ever since I take as many pics as I can.
DeleteHa ha, bird stalker... yep, or a peeping Vicki ;D)xx