We had a visitor the other day... and we weren't the only ones who noticed:
The hawk wheeled and swooped over all it surveyed:
After about 5 minutes, one of our resident Magpies had had enough and decided it was time for Hawk to be on its way....
It took a bit of convincing:
In fact, it needed a thoroughly good piece of the Magpie's mind before it decided to head off:
"... and stay away !!"
Job done, Maggie resumed her position on the tv aerial.
A chance encounter which I'd have missed except for the keen eyes of MD - he'd seen the Hawk briefly the previous day and had been keeping an eye out, knowing how much I'd love to photograph it.
My photo quality leaves a lot to be desired (shaking hands, too excited and forgot to fully extend lens) but, as we've all agreed on previous occasions, sometimes the thrill of the encounter trumps the quality of the shot!
Cheers now, and thanks for having a look at our birds. Pop over to Stewart's blogspot [click on the image below] to see lots of other birdie offerings!!

Oh yes, watching this show between the Magpie and the hawk is a thrill. Great sequence of shots.
ReplyDeleteIt was a thrill Eileen - such a beautiful bird, and to watch it glide... it's so graceful :D)
DeleteIt's surprising how a smaller bird can scare away a hawk, isn't it? I've seen it here too. You captured the stroy well with your camera!
ReplyDeleteHi EG, yes it is... I've seen even smaller ones do that in a group, but this particular Maggie is a determined one :D)
DeleteAlmost the same thing as the eagle and the crows that we saw the other day..... exciting and crazy for sure ..... and, the pics are great Susan!@
ReplyDeleteThanks Vee - never know what we'll see when we look up eh!!
Deleteoh, they're both beautiful! lovely feather patterns on both species!
ReplyDeleteThey are indeed T :D)
DeleteAwe, you must not think the hawk is a bad thing, it's a beautiful bird. Never mind, I think your photography is excellent.
ReplyDeleteOh, exactly Bob - but... Maggie doesn't think so though ;D) We're a source of food for her and her family so I guess she was being super vigilant. Glad you liked the photos too !
DeleteHello Susan!!!I agree with my friend Bob!!!
ReplyDeleteI could'nt imagine the Magpie can scare away the hawk!!
Fantastic shots!!I really enjoyed them!!!
Have a lovely week ahead!!
Dimi...
It's amazing to think how brave the Magpies are - and it's not even nesting time. Glad you enjoyed them :D)
Deletewow great action shots
ReplyDeleteThanks Sandy, it was a real thrill seeing another beautiful bird come our way :D)
DeleteOh wow! Brilliant capture -- I especially like the shot where the hawk's wings are on an upward arc, while the magpie's are downward.
ReplyDeleteThanks Vicki, I didn't have a clue how to photograph under the conditions but after heaps of editing, it finally produced something seeable. Haven't seen the hawk since, so it was certainly a special moment.
DeleteOur Maggie was 'seeing off' a Currawong yesterday ... did not want to share the scraps we throw ;D) xx
Great shots - love watching birds of prey.
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
It was a rare treat Stewart, thanks :D)
DeleteWow Susan, those are amazing photos!!! Brave little bird!
ReplyDeleteHi Denise, many thanks... oh yes, the Maggie is very brave - and quite bossy too!! :D)
DeleteWoW!!!!! what a brave maggie, these images are wonderful!! and many thanks to the "hawk eye" of MD, this was a sight worth seeing and capturing!!!!
ReplyDeleteIndeed, and thank you Debbie. Yes, MD is a good hawk eye - such a treat and haven't seen hawk around anymore :D)
Delete