Thursday, February 5, 2015

Waiting ... with the birds

Hi everyone, this is my week to join in with all the bird lovers over at Stewart's Wild Bird Wednesday gathering.

While I was waiting for hubby to see the Chiropractor, whose office is across the road from this lovely piece of beach, I decided to join them ... the birds, on the beach, that is ;D)


I set my sights on the Cormorant which is the black lump over in the right of the photo.
I quietly and slowly walked over to him/her.
 

A zoom lens is beaut isn't it.  However, Cormie was on to me!



... didn't seem to mind too much, so I kept clicking and walking slowly



That was apparently far enough, so off he trots and joins the Pelicans



Also on that little patch of beach, were a few jellyfish



While I was bent over taking the previous photo, I looked up and was rather delighted to see this curious Swan paddle over.
It seemed to me, she was fairly interested in what I was looking at.  I always seem to put human thoughts on to animals, but on this occasion that's what it felt like!
(There's a jellyfish directly below the Swan, and one to the right of her)



With Hubby sufficiently bone-cracked, we went for a stroll further down the beach, and here's a few more jellyfish in deeper water.

It was a jellyfish kind of day - you know, just kinda floatin' around, not doing a lot... all good :D)


Thanks for having a visit, you're most welcome to join everyone over at Stewart's spot.  They're a great bunch of folk.  Just click on the image below :


61 comments:

  1. Pelicans are HUGE up close aren't they? I've never been close to one...yet. We do have some around here in the summer.... but, I haven't tried to get close to them yet. Maybe this summer...they migrate... who knew? ... and, so, when I hear they have returned ...I must make an effort....
    I, too, have fun pretending birds and animals are people... my Mum used to do it all the time! Acckkkkk I've become my Mum! Oh, well, ... it's not a bad thing.... lots of people loved her....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vee, yes they're big all right, and they allow us to get within a few metres of them (in the hopes of a free feed!)... it's quite an experience. Hope you get to see some when yours return.
      Lol, yep, I think we all get bits and pieces passed down to us eh... it's what we do with it that counts I reckon !!
      Loved your comment, thanks for dropping in :D)

      Delete
  2. lovely swan, sweet cormorant, cute pelicans and lots of gulls. the jellyfish are just odd creatures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks T, glad you enjoyed them - they performed well for me that day! Those jellyfish always fascinate... on another walk yesterday there were more, floating and suspended ... hanging around, enjoying life ;D)

      Delete
  3. Hello Susan!!
    What a great collection of birds!
    Like the Pelicans the cute Cormorant and my favorite gulls!
    Here you can see jellyfish only in Summer!
    Have a happy day!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dimi, thanks very much ... yes, we only seem to get jellyfish then too, so many lately! Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos! What a nice wait and walk you had. The best kind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Susan, beautiful photos you have taken, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos! Those close ups of the
    Cormorant are just great. :)
    The others are beautiful as well :))
    Have a fine day
    【ツ】Knipsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Knipsa... I was able to sneak up on him for quite some 10 minutes - he probably saw me from the start, but let me believe I was being stealthy ha ha!
      Thanks for your visit :D)

      Delete
  7. Ok so we know what the birds were thinking ... what about the jelly fish? "I feel like a blob today, must go on that paleo diet"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha... yes, good call Joan... I like that!! :D)

      Delete
  8. Hi Susan,
    I love the way the cormorants hang their wings out to dry and pelicans, don't ya love them. My blog today has pelicans as well.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do indeed Deb - there was a real nice collection on that little patch of sand. Couldn't resist. Will pop over to yours shortly. Thanks for the comment :D)

      Delete
  9. Love the jellyfish images...especially the ones still swimming/drifting in the water. Wow. Nifty.
    And your shore birds? Awesome. I'm a bit jealous that you have such attractive pelicans. We have two species here, but nothing quite as striking as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni, oh many thanks - I can't resist those little jellies. So hard to photograph though - just had our little point and shoot and find it real hard to focus properly... poor nikon was left at home.
      Thanks re our pelicans, they are a little... oh... a lot gorgeous aren't they !!! :D)
      Lovely to have you visit too !

      Delete
  10. oohhhh you are the black swan whisperer, i never see one that i don't think of you!!!

    what a great place to "have" to go with the hubs.....i would never miss an appointment!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Debbie, thank you - they're just so special aren't they!! All the cygnets this year are floating around pretending to be all grown up now. They still like to have a bit of attention from Mum and Dad at times though we've been noticing... the odd pull of sea grass etc!!

      It is a great place to wait ... no, he's never allowed to miss going ;D) !! Cheers now xx

      Delete
  11. Beautiful pictures you made Susan.
    Greetings Tinie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tinie, and thank you very much for your lovely comment :D)

      Delete
  12. Very nice pics, Susan. We hope to get to the beach tomorrow as its expected to get to 39C so a beach visit and swim in the late afternoon will be nice. Might even have bbq tea on the beach. Those jelly fish freak me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Joolz, that's hot, hot, hot!! Hope you enjoyed your bbq tea with a nice sea breeze perhaps?
      Thanks for popping over :D)

      Delete
  13. I like that, "A jelly fish sort of day, just floating around not doing much. I had one of those days today and I love it. We have a jelly fish explosion on our beaches and bays, so thick it is like a carpet floating on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane... yes, when I was in fulltime work I used to yearn for those kinds of days (didn't/don't we all !! lol), now we can have them - bliss :D)
      The jellyfish sure like your part of Australia! Cheers now.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful variety of birds. I love the Pelicans, gulls and the lovely Black Swan! Gorgeous shots.. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Eileen, yes, it's a real treat to walk on that little patch of sand and see so many seabirds... especially when they don't freak out and fly away!! Lovely to see you again :D)

      Delete
  15. All the birds look so exotic to my eyes. :) What a great place to wait while your husband had an appointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good EG, glad you enjoyed them... it's a beautiful place indeed :D)

      Delete
  16. A fun series Susan - thank you for sharing (and visiting!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. these were great pics Susan - i really enjoyed seeing the pelicans especially - i find them so cool. I would have loved walking around there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Sandy ... and our gulls would have been pushing in front of the pelicans for your attention... word gets around ;D)

      Delete
  18. Awesome pics. As much as I like the close-ups of the Cormorant, the one that really appeals to me is #4 with the conga line of birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes... conga line indeed, that's what it does look like too :D) Lovely to have your comments Vicki :D)

      Delete
  19. GREAT shots of the cormorant!! i really like the pelicans too! beware of the jellyfish!! OUCH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, the pelicans are always entertaining ... especially when they start to have a scratch with their huge beaks. They can be so delicate with it! Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  20. I do love sea birds. Those cormorants have such green eyes don't they? I took a photo of one and it looks slightly mad with those eyes staring at me. sounds like a good day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Sandy, yes there's such an amazing variety of sea birds - more than I ever imagined! His eyes are lovely and that colour around them too. Ha ha sounds like you got a cranky one in your sights :D)

      Delete
  21. Nice shots - its always helpful when birds come to you!!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart, it is indeed! Thanks for popping over :D)

      Delete
  22. Dearest Susan; Your sweet birdies, "cormorant, pelicans and lots of gulls" are the ones I also can see in my city park :-) Except the swan which is no longer with us. Gorgeous pictures, Dear friend.
    And I wish your husband is in good health condition;
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in Australia, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miyako - isn't it great for us to see the different birds each in our own areas and then thousands of km across the world!!! Thanks for your lovely visit and, yes, hubby is in good health - I just put him in for his maintenance every 4 weeks ;D) Cheerio now and lovely to have you visit once more :D)

      Delete
  23. Lovely photos, and an absolutely super narrative. Thanks for this lovely post.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Derek, always beaut to see you here - glad you enjoyed it :D)

      Delete
  24. These are gorgeous shots !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ela, I'm glad you enjoyed them. I appreciate your visit too :D)

      Delete
  25. great photos! I love all birds and I'm always happy to see them up close. It was very nice this trip. For a moment I forgot the snow and cold weather outside, icy sidewalks and frosty trees ....
    Greetings from Bulgaria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bety, thank you very much... and I'm so glad you enjoyed a little touch of our sunny weather too. Blogging is so good in that way, we can choose our climates in the click of a button! Thanks for your visit :D)

      Delete
  26. These are great photos Susan. I found the jellyfish interesting but loved the birds, especially the coloring on your Australian Pelicans and those beautiful Black Swans. The Cormorant was kind of cute also. A fun post, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting Denise, glad you enjoyed them all :D)

      Delete
  27. the cormorants in Sweden fly away as soon as they see you arrive. :( You can´t even sneak on them. You got great shots and used your waiting time well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, yes I was fairly amused that this Cormorant was so obliging actually! Thanks for your visit, always appreciated :D)

      Delete
  28. Hello Susan, I hope everything is fine over there with you.
    Since you don't have a new post I'm using this one to wish you a

    Happy Valentine's Day!
    •:*¨♥¨*:•.•:*¨♥¨*:•.•:*¨♥¨*:•
    【ツ】Knipsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Knipsa, yes everything's beaut here ... sometimes I'm fairly disorganised and don't post on a regular basis, but I get there in my own way. Thank you for your good wishes and the same to you :D) We had a lovely day... too many choccies (oops, I just remembered.... there can never been too many!!! lol ) Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  29. It's fun you can enjoy the beach and commorant, the last shot is great of his blue-green eye and fluffed feathers. The swan's neck twisting around as it inspects you is amazing too, I guess birds don't require chiropractors. I hope those aren't the deadly stinging jellyfish, they look like in form but bigger than the little jellyfish in the Seattle Aquarium that swim overhead in an arched tube. Thanks for the beach photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah, lovely to have you visit. That's nice you enjoyed the photos of my little walk, it was so short but full of lots of activities by our feathered friends. Oh yes, I love the agility (and gracefulness) of the swans... lol, no, indeed no chiropractors for them!! I don't think these are the stinging jellyfish but I would give them the benefit of the doubt just the same :D) Cheers for now!

      Delete
  30. I think I would rather wait with the birds also! :)

    Boomer and his posse...way to go you guys are on the trail:)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx