It is such a lovely day here - the sun is shining and the gnomes are smiling:
I'm starting up a new collection of succulents using anything to hand. They're such adaptable and reliable plants. For instance, the two plants in the black pots sat for 3 months without light and water over the Summer period, waiting patiently for us to get back to them. They were a bit thinner of course, but are "in the pink" once again. How resilient is that! They deserve recognition :D)
Reading about the prolonged cold and snowy conditions in blogger friends' posts from 'over the pond' and how they adapt, is quite awe inspiring too. Spring is on its way for you and, over here, the signs of Autumn will soon be showing, I'm particularly looking forward to the beautiful changes of colours in the trees before they shed their leaves.
A Plug!
Many of you would have noticed that, over the years, I've been an avid fan of Aussie author Vicki Tyley. She writes mystery and suspense stories which I've enjoyed reading, and always have no hesitation in recommending.
We've become good blogfriends and, in turn, Vicki was one of the people who initially encouraged my fledgling attempts at art, and so it goes.
So, I want to give her a plug... one of her books:
has been nominated for "Big Al's Books and Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards" in the Mystery category. Anyway, Vicki explains it better than I on her blogspot which is http://vickityley.blogspot.com.au/
If you have a moment, pop over and check it out. There's a giveaway raffle for entries, not only in the Mystery category but others as well. It all ends in 4 days' time, and thanks for taking the time to read my 'plug'. I love to share good stuff :D)
Now for a close encounter:
Found this cute little beetle on my Peace Lily flower the other day. Goodness knows how he got there but I found him a new home outdoors.
Thanks for your visit.
Enjoy your Sunday and the rest of the week.
I wish you lots of happiness and peace :D)




i like your succulent garden. :) i have not had much luck growing them. maybe i give them too much water. :)
ReplyDeleteHi T, thanks very much. Yes, too much water might be the problem. I was so surprised at how those two survived, they definitely store water within their leaves... that strappy one had shrunk so much but it was still alive. Now that it's had some water, it's leaves have all plumped out once more.
DeleteI don't know if you are on Pinterest, if you are not, you should be!! There are lots of wonderful tips and ideas for peeps like us who like to play in the dirt!!
ReplyDeleteYou always thank me for my posts, but I should be thanking you, for all the kind comments you leave for me!!
It's not march 9th just yet, that always makes me smile just a little!! Like time travel (wink)!!
Hi Debbie, thanks for the info and your lovely comments. I know what you mean about the time travel ... lol :D)
DeleteGnomes as well as frogs :-)
ReplyDeleteah yes Joan, fortunately Froggie likes the gnomes, however, I'm thinking he's feeling a bit left out - I'll have to do something about that ;D)
DeleteWhat BIG eyes he has that little beetle.... or ...are those his eyes? .... Never seen anything like it....
ReplyDeleteA home for gnomes.... sounds almost like a rescue place ...hahahah..... you better watch it...they will begin leaving them in your garden you know.... everybody!
Hi Vee, no those are just his markings... but they certainly look like cool googly eyes don't they!
DeleteI'd love nothing more than being a retirement home for gnomes. Yay! I started to have leanings toward them a few years' ago. Took lots of photos, must dig them out for a future post! Or perhaps I could do some in a painting - now you've got me started!!
Anyway, I happened to mention my increasing love of gnomes to MD a couple of weeks' ago and he found these two sweeties for me :D)
Good Morning! Aren't succulents great! I do remember you had a whole shelf of them! And, we have some of the same types here. The cute gnomes will surely look after them,
ReplyDeleteI have kept a succulent bowl alive now going on three years, and, have even been able to take cuttings and share with a friend. In the winter I have put the bowl in a shed by a window, and only slightly watered it. And, last spring, I was so happy that all survived. On mild days, I have taken it out of the shed and kept on the table outdoors for more warmth and sunshine. I bet I'll be able to share more of it this year.
What a cute little spotted beatle...uh oh! I mean beetle, haha! He almost looks like a ladybug. I hope you have a gorgeous fall this year Susan! We're still having winter here, but maybe our spring will last longer before the horrible heat of summer arrives. It's so good to see your fun posts again, Have a wonderful week! ♥
Hi Suzanne, yes, it was their resilience that really did it for me. We've been busy in other areas of our lives and had neglected them badly, it was such a lovely surprise to see them all just getting on with life like that. I do love the gnomes too and yes they'll certainly keep things in ship shape order from now on ;D)
DeleteTaking cuttings like you do as well, is so rewarding with succulents isn't it. I can't resist doing that. I'm so glad yours survived your really harsh winters, it's lovely that you manage them like that.
Lol, funny, I nearly typed beetle as beatle too... hmmm, definitely a throw back to our earlier years eh!
Yes, I hope you can enjoy a beautiful long spring.
Thanks for visiting and you have a great week as well :D)
That beetle is really quaint, looks as if she has eyes! Have a nice week! I will go and check out the book now.
ReplyDeleteYes Jenny it's a lovely little beetle, thanks for your comment and all the best :D)
DeleteHi Susan, I enjoyed your post. I also noticed your little gnomes. I have one a friend gave me holding a pot of flowers. I love it. I see a lot of spring flowers on various blogs but none here yet. I am really looking forward to the daffodils and tulips. I will have to check out your friend's book, I love a good mystery. Will go over there right after I send you this. I also liked that photo of the pretty little beetle on your peace lily. Thanks for stopping by and leaving lovely comments. Have a great week :)
ReplyDeleteYay for more gnome-lovers! Hi Denise, thanks for your lovely comments and may you see some beautiful daffodils and tulips real soon.
DeleteThank you kindly for popping over to Vicki's blog, she's a talented writer and it's always my pleasure to recommend her books :D) Cheers now
I love your gnomes. I bet you didn't realise the they were tending to the succulents while you were off doing other things. How else could they have survived? :)
ReplyDeleteA plug! Thank you, Susan -- you really are too good to me. :D
Fabulous close encounter with the beetle. It looks as if he might be trying have a nap... now there's an idea. xxzzzzzzzzz
woke up this morning and found Blogger hadn't published my reply to you of last night.... hmmm have to get my gnomes to check that out!
DeleteGlad you love them too and, yes, that definitely must have been the answer to the saving of my succulents ;D)
You're most welcome for the mention Vicki, I enjoy following your publishing achievements :D)
Cheers now xx
I love your little gnomes!!! Your warm sunny life seems so nice in our changeable weather!
ReplyDeleteLinda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://handcraftedbyus.wordpress.com
♬♬♬ Happy Saint Patrick’s Day ♬♬♬
oh, so many lovely gnomey-lovers - that's real nice. Thought I was being a bit "grandma-ish" in starting to enjoy their company ... anyway, if it was, life's too short to be serious isn't it ;D)
DeleteEar ruffles to Fuzzy and Boomer :D)
Succulents are the best. Since we haven't had our normal wet season and now heading into the dry, succulents are looking better and better as number one choice for new plants in the garden.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely Diane, and they're the easiest things to take cuttings from as well aren't they :D)
DeleteI just love succulents! You have a nice variety here among some of the Snow White's dwarfs.
ReplyDeleteThanks Nancy, I like non-fussy plants :D)
Delete