Monday, March 24, 2014

George of Mykanos

Following on from my previous post of jellyfish sightings.  You can see I'm still in "fresh seafood" territory:

MD and I were hanging around the jetty and walkway when the Prawn Man asked if we'd mind his boat while he went across the road for a short while.  It was only a matter of staying where we were and telling anyone who came to his boat that he'd be back soon.  I had momentary visions of us spending some time in his boat - oh well!
When he came back he asked us if we wanted to meet some of his mates.

First of all, George of Mykanos:

He's made himself quite at home amongst the fishing boats...




... and George really loves his tucker:



The Prawn Man starts calling "George",  "George",  "come here George"


Whoah !!  George sprang into action ....


... couldn't get there quick enough, ha ha, he nearly burst a valve ! 



... got there just in time for Prawn Man's tossed fish (which might be a bit hard to see - I've have arrowed it)

we could feel George's delight - a free meal - yum!  


More of Prawn Man's mates next post.  Cheers now :D)


29 comments:

  1. oh, that's so cute! and for minding his boat, you got a great photo session!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T and, yes, Prawn Man put on a good show for us - it was a delight too :D)

      Delete
  2. This is such a fun story...and, such a beautiful bird! Aren't you glad you stuck around? Looks like you're having some beautiful weather. Love the sun and water! George is one smart bird, fresh food, and wonderful company!

    Love this post, and your header photo is so beautiful. have a wonderful week, Susan. It is so good to see you, and enjoy your fun stories! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, thanks and glad you are enjoying it. Oh yes, just 'hanging around' has its surprises that's for sure.
      You have a lovely week too. Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  3. ooohhhhh what a yuumy story!! i love stories like this, a stranger asks a cut couple to mind his boat....that doesn't happen in jersey ;)

    i like prawn mans style!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, yes and we liked being a couple of 'seafood sellers' for a few minutes ;D)
      It's the sort of thing that can happen fairly often... probably more in the regional areas rather than in cities I guess.

      Delete
  4. Hello Susan
    Loved seeing George the Pelican and his mate The Prawn Man
    Did I ever tell you about the time a lady asked me to mind something whilst I was waiting for the BBQ to warm up outside a pub in Winton? She said she had to deliver the meat for the BBQ and couldn't take 'it' in with her - walked round the corner and she has a poddy cow on a lead!! True story. Might have to post about it it one day.
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, oh my goodness that's such a funny story ... yes, put it in a post. Things like that that happen out of the blue are priceless :D)

      Delete
  5. Its like the seal we have down here that get fed by the fish monger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How gorgeous Deb - have you posted about that?

      Delete
    2. Yes Susan here: http://primrosehappysnapper.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/the-things-you-see-on-monday.html

      Delete
    3. Wow... I've just been over at your link and those photos are incredible!! Such a beautiful seal and how he interacted with you was just brilliant. Thanks for the link Deb :D)

      To other bloggers... you'll be fascinated by Deb's encounter with the seal, pop over and have a look :D)

      Delete
  6. nice he's getting decent food - it's a worry when people feed birds 'bread' for instance. That would've been a lovely experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carole, and welcome to my blog.
      It was a really nice experience yes! Something quite unexpected too. I love the nice surprises in life. Thanks for your visit :D)

      Delete
  7. Prawn Man, you old softie! Love ya!!

    Living near water has a lot more surprises than in most other places...I'm absolutely sure of it..... there is just so much always happening near and around water...

    I was once asked to mind a medium sized dog in an open box carrier on the back of a motorcycle....just to keep him company more like ..so he didn't panic too much while the rider went to the washrooms....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, he is an old softie isn't he... he fed George more than one !
      It is beaut to be near water, I always feel so refreshed and invigorated after a walk whether it's by a lake, river or the ocean... a universal feeling as I can see.
      That was so cool of the rider to care for his dog like that :D)

      Delete
  8. Fun to see that lovely pelican catching a meal. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, I know you have a soft spot for the pelican ... I thought of you when posting these :D)

      Delete
  9. you found lots of action to photograph while on the jetty. Great story and shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I surely did... and it all happened in the space of under an hour! Never know what's around the corner do we. Thanks too for your comments :D)

      Delete
  10. You tell a good tale Susan, enriched by your shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Joan, I do love taking photos... it's beaut to share those delightful moments in life :D)

      Delete
  11. So wonderful to see the pelican at the boat, but he also gets some goodies huh.
    Beautiful pictures you made.

    Groetjes Tinie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tinie, and welcome to my blog. It's always such a treat to see these lovely creatures that choose to play with we humans :D)

      Delete
  12. Hi Susan, thank you for your visit to my blog. I had the same look, who visited me and I have come to your beautiful page with interesting and great photos. I like to dunk in your world.

    Have a nice time. I send you warm greetings
    Waldameise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Waldameise, thank you for visiting my blog and welcome :D)
      I am glad you enjoyed my photos and I appreciate your kind comments.

      Delete
  13. How fabulous!! I'd have loved to meet George. Your photos and story are the next best thing, though. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki, I kind of got a bit carried away too ... even another post shortly, at the same spot! Appreciate your comments as always :D)

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx