Thursday, February 20, 2014

A Grab Bag of Things...

Hi there, hope the world is treating you right :D)

Got back to some painting yesterday - here's the start of a watercolour.  They're my version of fish so won't be strictly correct in their features but that's what I absolutely love about painting - it's all up to the individual.
I'm going to go in with my pen and outline a lot of it.  It'll be fun and is a very meditative thing to do.






~~~~

Hadn't done any on-line brain training for a little while (does it show, lol!!).  Anyway, got back into that also.  Lots of "getting back to" this week - yay!
I just do the free version of Lumosity but thoroughly enjoy it.  The freebies only allow 3 games out of 5 on a daily basis, but I keep hitting the "try again" or "do again" (gotta get that memory training up again) button and repeat the particular game.  You'll see the difference in my b.p.i. score (it's a scientific meaning for how good your brain functions, or something like that) - it has dropped, but getting back into a daily routine I'll get it back up and even better soon.  Definitely need daily brain workouts.






~~~~

Was sitting in the car a while ago, waiting for MD to do his stuff in the boring shop (hardware), and saw this sight on top of a house across the road.  We carry a little camera in the glovebox, so couldn't resist taking a photo.


awww, it looks like a stork to me - perhaps a new baby has arrived !!

Here's a closeup.  I'm still sticking to my stork theory, it amuses me.






Still on the new baby theme, look at these gorgeous little succulents - I snapped this pic at the local nursery.  They're called ... "Baby's Toes" - so sweet!



I'm all "babied up" because our family has welcomed a dear little newborn.  A Great Nephew for us.  So sweet and it's been ages since being in contact with a baby, and we're so delighted.  Nice warm fuzzy feelings :D)

Cheers now,  MD is perking the coffee (no alien additions this time!!) xx

26 comments:

  1. congrats on the new great nephew. :) i like your stork/ibis, too! please post your watercolor when you've added your outlines, etc. would love to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T, it's a lovely time. Appreciate your words re my watercolour - yes, I shall post it :D)

      Delete
  2. So many interesting things in this post, Susan! Your latest painting looks like a lot of fun! Congratulations on the birth of your great nephew and I love your 'stork' photo...
    Such an interesting plant that you photographed too...must keep a look out for 'baby toes' at our local nursery which is Bunnings these days...the others have gradually closed :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria, I do love underwater scenes too and, yes, they are fun to do.
      Hope you find that plant - I was sorry I didn't purchase it at the time... was feeling a bit guilty going around taking photos at the time ;D)
      Shame how the big places squeeze out all the little ones isn't it. A few smaller nurseries have suffered down our way too.
      Cheers now

      Delete
  3. If that's the beginning, your fish painting is really coming along! Your fish paintings are so good, especially the 'Surprise Visitor'. I've seen those Baby's Toes before, they are so unique...do you think we could raise some? Congratulations on you new great nephew...they are great fun! I hope you get to see a lot of him. And, you summed it up nicely with your stork! But he doesn't look like a bird that can fly very hi-hope he didn't lose his balance on top of that house!

    A fun post, Susan! It's always smart to keep a camera in the car. Sometimes cell phones just don't get the right photos! Have a wonderful weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your comments about my paintings Suzanne. I find they're my favourites and always turn to them when I can't think of anything else!
      I think you'd be able to raise them where you are... as long as they're amongst the ones you take indoors during Winter ;D) They look pretty watery like the aloes and so wouldn't stand frosts or cold - could be wrong though.
      It is lovely having a new babe in the family and, yes, time goes fast, so hope to see more of him soon :D)
      As always, lovely to have you visit too. Cheers now

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the birth of your great nephew! (And maybe it was an ibis and not a stork that delivered him. ;-))

    I'm thrilled that you're "getting back to" this week. Love the fish -- why do you think they call it artistic licence. :D

    How cute are those baby toes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha... of course! Ibis may just be multi-skilled. Thanks for your lovely thoughts and, yes, artistic licence is what it's all about eh!

      Delete
  5. I've never come across that plant before, it sure is a weird one. Love the stork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit Deb, I'd never seen one like it before and did a bit of a double-take. Haven't seen one since either :D)

      Delete
  6. oooohhhh the stork delivered the baby, how cute ;)

    One or two of those baby toes have hearts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, pays off to have a grab-bag of photos to be used when the right moment arises!
      Ah now, I didn't notice those cute little hearts on the toes... you're right - trust you to notice them ;D)

      Delete
  7. Oh I always knew that Stork thing was true. Love those cute little button flowers. Your paintings always make me smile. How did the Taunting Turkey's on go over?
    Brain training I could use that:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes, and here was I thinking they grew under cabbages ;D)
      Thanks re my paintings. Taunting Turkeys went very well - have been meaning to email you and will do shortly.
      I love the brain training... it kind of confirms there is one in there !!! :D)) xx

      Delete
  8. Oh I forgot (that is where the brain training should come in:)) Congrats on the new baby I love holding babies they smell so nice. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely B, that smell is the nicest there is :D)

      Delete
  9. I loved Lumosity, but killed off my wrist doing the word games.... trying to type quicker so I could score higher.... sigh....darn it .... had to give it up ... totally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear Vee, you must have been sooooo dedicated - I just like the ones that only need the directional arrows ;D)

      Delete
  10. That is a new plant which I have never seen.
    Wonder if that is a stork, as stork have straight beak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joe, thank you for your visit to my blog and for your comment.
      Sometimes I have a strange little sense of humour, and it was more a case of me 'wanting' it to be a stork than what it actually was ;D)
      Of course, you're right, a stork does have a straight beak - that way it can carry the newborn baby in its blanket much more safely ... oops, there I go again [wink].
      Cheers now, and it was really interesting reading through your blog, especially about your amazing sari maker :D)

      Delete
  11. A STORK! Cool! We don't have those birds here so I always wondered how babies made it from England to US!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah see Linda, now your question is answered. Those poor storks must do some long hauls with the bubbies eh ;D)

      Delete
  12. Good for you Susan - love your fishes - glad you are "painting"..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate that Sandy - I'm loving it .. a lot :D)

      Delete
  13. Congrats on the new baby. I'm just into that world again too. Ooh! those little fuzzy heads! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, I enjoyed reading about your new additions too. It's just so sweet to hold a newborn isn't it. I love the glow the new Mum has about her too :D)

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx