Friday, July 5, 2013

Reminiscing - back in Thailand

Looking through photos of our trip to Thailand a while back, I wanted to share (another) nice experience of our time there.

We were at the Ban Huack (Thai/Laos) Border Market and I saw this lady who I immediately wanted to photograph.
I held my camera up, pointed to it and smiled - this is what I always did before taking photos of people. Mostly everyone would agree to a photo, if not that was cool too. I liked to ask first though.

However, there were several other people with the same idea... and with no pleases or thankyous pushed in front of me and literally shoved their cameras in her face clicking away.
I felt ashamed to be near them and was sorry for her.  She certainly showed her displeasure too, lowered her head and wouldn't look at them.

As I walked off, I took a look back and to my joy saw that she'd turned away from them and gave me a most beautiful smile as you can see here.  It made my day.  I hope it makes yours!



Such a smile on her beautiful face - no words were needed. We understood each other.




23 comments:

  1. Oh Susan there is no place fro rudeness in photography you are an ethical photographer I like that. I ask the owners or executors of any auction I go to if it is alright if I photograph and write about the auction if they say no I leave it at that and I just take photos of things not people. Respect. I can tell this respect between you and this beautiful lady was mutual. Incredible shot. Hugs B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Buttons and thank you for your visit. I can certainly understand how you'd ask permission before the auctions. It's definitely a two-way street isn't it. In any case, it makes for a much more enjoyable day when you know everyone's comfortable with what you're doing.
      It's also easy to judge when people are putting themselves out there to be photographed, and that's fun to oblige too :D)

      Delete
  2. truly beautiful! loved this connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet lady and a beautiful smile. I enjoyed your story about this encounter. Pity about the others but you made her day by treating her with such good manners. She recognized in you a sweet lady too and thanked you with a smile. A real heart-warmer this is. Thank you Susan.
    Have a great weekend,
    Denise
    An English Girl Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Denise, it's little surprise encounters like that in life that always delight isn't it :D)

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous capture. Her smile says it all.

    Shame about the rude people. That's when you want to give them a dose of their own medicine and turn around and start photographing them. See how they like it.

    Like you, we never take photos of people without asking first. As Buttons say, it's all about respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki and thanks. Yes, when I read your comment I remembered another incident later on in a crowded street in the Old Quarter of Hanoi, Vietnam. A fellow was busily clicking his camera and we were being captured (as part of the crowd) but quite close. MD quickly suggested I might like to get in some payback... I didn't miss a beat and got into multi-shot closeup mode and kept clicking. The fellow didn't like it one bit - kind of looked shocked... whaaaat??? lol!
      Cheers :D)

      Delete
  5. she could feel "your" sincerity, what a special moment and an awesome picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, you're the best! It is a true belief of mine that you can feel the feelings of others. You can sometimes tell from the body language. Your beautiful lady knew that you were embarrassed by the actions of others, and, that you were willing to sacrifice having your own photo then and just go on. It's a good thing you looked back, you were SO rewarded!

    I love the newest addition of 'Owly' on your sidebar. So pretty with a great quote! And, I still think your fish art is fabulous! It is so fun to see you here tonight. Are you staying warm? We certainly are at 93°! Hope you and MD are doing well. I'll sip a spot of coffee to you in the morning! Take Care! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Suzanne, thanks for your comment and yes I do believe very much that we have an intuition on some level with some people... strangers sometimes. I found it quite often while we were overseas and with a language barrier (we travelled to many spots where Westerners were few and far between).
      Glad you like Owly - I love that I can feel free within myself to just paint with much abandon and revel in it!!
      We're up early this morning, getting ready to go to a local market and MD is about to make our coffee... this one's to you :D)
      (Oh that weather over there is much too hot... we have the heater on at the moment).
      Cheers now

      Delete
  7. Susan, your spaghetti pie sounds fantastic...I've never thought of putting various veggies in spaghetti! The carrots and spinach, celery do sound great. Don't know about sweet potato, but it's worth a try. And a slurp of BBQ just might be the ticket! I always use mushroom and onions in my spaghetti, this altogether sounds good! I will have to print it, and make a copy for my friend Cindy! Thank you so much for giving me your recipe! And, I hope you all are doing well this weekend. See you soon! Hugs to Froggie! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne, after talking about the pie with you, I got in and threw another couple together! Hope you are surviving the heat over your way... we're shivering this side of the pond ;D)

      Delete
  8. Ola querida amiga ,é um grande prazer receber tua visitinha.Realmente um sorriso tão amável e meigo como este ,não há necessidade de palavras.Tenhas uma ótima semana e deixo aqui meu maior abraço.SU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: "Hello dear friend, is a great pleasure to receive your visitinha.Realmente a smile so kind and sweet like this, no need to palavras.Tenhas a great week and I leave here my biggest abraço.SU.


      Hello Suze, thank you for visiting. Yes, her smile is a kind one indeed. :D)

      Delete
  9. Ola,Vejo que és amiga de Suzanne Prickett,e gostaria de enviar por teu intermédio,um grande abraço á ela,pois não consigo mais me comunicar com seu blog,desde a migração para o "Google +".Sinto falta de suas visitinhas pois gostava muito do encanto de seu espaço.Obrigado,e mais uma vez meu abraço,SU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: " I see you're a friend of Suzanne Prickett, and would like to send through you, a big hug she will, because I can no longer communicate with your blog, since the migration to "Google +". Visitinhas I miss her because loved the charm of your espaço.Obrigado, and once again my embrace, SU "

      Suze, I have forwarded your message to Suzanne via email also. Cheers now :D)

      Delete
    2. Hi Susan, thank you for your message, can't wait to fix the spaghetti pie! I cannot believe it. 1° below zero? You can have 50° of ours...I will ship it right over.

      It is so kind of Suzane Weck to ask about me. I do see her on my reading list, but I haven't heard from her in ages. I am on Google+ too, and it's a pain. I will try to send her a message to her blog. She is so sweet, and I love to hear her sing. Thank you so much Susan, I will do my best to get that warm weather over to you! Hugs!

      Delete
  10. What a charming looking woman. She reminds me of an elderly friend I once had, now passed away, the same look of benevolence and self possession. I love her outfit! i suppose that's why you wanted to photograph her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, beaut to have you visit :D)
      It was firstly her face that attracted me for photographing - I am an observer of faces, they fascinate me... I could quite easily be accused of 'staring' at people as I work my way through life, but it's a kindly and interestered stare!
      Then the enjoyment she was getting out of that icecream just cinched it for me.

      Delete
  11. That's it in a nutshell.... downright rude and not respect at all....people, pagh!

    What a lovely little lady she is ...... reminds me of my own Mom in a way.... who is now long gone.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a beautiful picture susan! her smile DOES say it all!! =)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx