Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Throw a stick in for the bees

Hi there,  just easing back in to blogland with my first post for 2013.
I have a few hopes...
That those who have suffered through the fires are able to find the strength to pick up and carry on.
Also, that those who may be in the proximity of currently burning fires are given relief from their fears.
Last, but not least, I hope that those brave men and women (and their supportive families) who fight the fires can rest easy very soon.  My goodness, where would all we be without them.  Such heroes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We all know how precious bees are, but perhaps not everyone might know that the simple act of throwing a stick into a waterbowl can make such a difference to bees' survival.

I was horrified with myself the other day, when I noticed that one of the bowls of water I'd left out contained several dead bees.  They'd drowned, as bees easily do.  I'd forgotten to add the usual sticks or bits and pieces to the bowl.  In the extreme heat, as bad luck would have it,  they had favoured this particular bowl on the verandah as a reststop on their way back to their hive in our backyard.  

Here's a few photos I took shortly after I'd added a few sticks and corks for them to cling to.

I've popped in some cherry tree prunings and satay sticks
... I got a bit carried away - don't need that many!


This little one hung on for dear life while drinking.



Something I noticed was that a lot of bees just sucked at the wet sticks rather than
going directly to the water.



This girl had her legs on both corks while sipping.



This bee had a damaged wing and was struggling in the water, clinging to the stick.
I pulled her out, stick and all, and after a bit of drying out she was good as new.


... of course, there's always gotta be a few rebels!
They don't like sticks or corks, they're tough lassies!


So, there you go, just one stick will definitely save a few bees' lives, and the birds don't mind, they can still bathe quite happily.

Cheerio for now and thanks for your visit.  I shall enjoy popping over and catching up with everyone over the next while.


33 comments:

  1. oh, i hadn't heard of this before, but it surely makes sense! will have to do that once our temps rise again. loved the 3 'bottoms up' photo.

    and i do hope your country can survive the awful fire season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa, thanks for your visit - beaut that you're going to pop in a stick (or leaf or anything that floats)!
      Thanks too for your good wishes during all the fires over here. They've had such an impact. Unfortunately, the worst side of human nature comes out during these times too, in the form of firebugs. Sometimes it's hard not to despair about what goes on in the minds of some.

      Delete
  2. Fire, one of my greatest fears!! The men and women who fight them, our truest heros! I cat even imagine the bravery required to fight against a fire!

    You are so sweet to worry about your little bees, every inspect, has its value!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, yes, this time of year brings back many bad memories, as well as creating new ones for people.
      Bravest of the brave to face danger like that - and many, many are volunteers too.

      Aw, we love our bees. M(y) D(arling) has kept them for a few years now and, through him, I've learnt just what incredible little creatures they are. It's a pleasure to cater to them in our waterbowls.

      Thanks for popping by ... oh, I did laugh at your rev in previous comment about another post - um ignored it for a while ('cos I'm only a 'Sometimes Blogger' these days [wink]), but laughed just the same!!

      Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  3. Hi Susan! I really enjoyed cruising down your sidebar to have a look at your paintings...they are simply great! The Johnny Jump Ups and Keets are my favorites. What wonderful talent! I'm proud of you.

    And, how interesting about the bees. I will really keep all this in mind. You really got some good photos of them...love your rebel lassies! You revealed some intelligence and personality in those bees. Love your post...it's so good to see you. Have a great week!♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, appreciate you popping over. Hope you've recovered ok by now too. It takes a while when the bronchials are affected though doesn't it.
      So glad you enjoyed my paintings... thank you! I get such a kick out of doing them and 'hanging' them in my sidebar - never thought I'd ever be doing that!
      Yes, the bees are so intelligent and, oh, they fill such an essential purpose in all our lives don't they.
      Cheerio for now, take it easy and enjoy your week too :D)

      Delete
  4. hello Susan!

    I haven't seen a post via you forever! I am so glad to see you. Come see my latest posts. They are me. I mean, I am in them. Photos of me. These bees are very interesting, very.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renae, beaut to see you pop in. Yes, I'm a slowie all right - can't keep up with everyone... just happy to blog along at my own pace.
      I'm hopping over right now to say gooday to you now :D)
      Glad you enjoyed our pretty bees!

      Delete
  5. Hey Susan, the fires have been terrible and i'm with you on your hopes for all those that have been involved in them.

    Will go out and put some sticks in my bird baths as soon as I have posted this......I love bees such hard workers but never stop humming.......
    Lovely to see you back in blogland and wishing you a happy, healthy and creative 2013

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, thank you for your lovely comments.
      The fires are just continuing aren't they - bring on the rain eh!

      Good on you re the sticks for the bees. [Soapbox Warning, lol]: As you're probably aware, Australia is the only country left which is free of the Varroa Mite. Got to keep our bees alive, they'll be needed! (Currently there's a big trade of our Queen Bees to replenish American stocks).

      Appreciate your good wishes and, likewise, lovely to be exchanging visits in blogland :D)

      Delete
  6. That was something I didn't know about bees Susan. Wonderful set of photos as usual :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Maria, thanks for your visit. Am happy you enjoyed the photos - the bees are fascinating to watch - even when they're having a drink they're kind of moving around... no wonder they slip down the sides of a waterbowl!
      Cheerio for now and hope it's not too hot up your way.

      Delete
  7. Oh Susan the firemen are true Hero's and I cannot imagine how you are all dealing with what is going on over there on your side of the pond. I do hope things will improve.
    About the bees I did not know that either what a great idea. I love your photos and it is so nice to see them back here. Thank you Susan for sharing with us. Hugs B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Buttons, your kind thoughts are appreciated. Seems to be more and more disasters around the world doesn't there.

      So glad you enjoyed my little bee presentation (oooh that sounds formal, but you know what I mean ;D))

      Delete
  8. Wow I didn't know that ... actually I have not thought of bees drinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan, no, I didn't realise a lot of that until before MD started to keep bees, and then to learn how they can easily drown, if the water is too deep, was an eye opener.

      Delete
  9. Even here in Canada we are hearing about and seeing some photos of the raging fires over there Susan. One of a family under a pier was a heartbreaker..... I hate fires! And, I sure do hate to think of all the life and property losses ... animal and people... what a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vee, yes, it is a horrible fact of life - a lot of people are so well prepared nowadays too, as I'm sure they are over your way too, but that doesn't make a lot of difference when there's those terrible firestorms.

      Thanks for your visit, always good to have a chat :D)

      Delete
  10. Love your new header/

    If I were a bee, I know where I'd be headed. :)

    I hate seeing drowned bees, too, but thankfully it's a rare occurrence. Because the magpies and rosellas like to swim and wallow in the bowls, I don't have sticks in the water. But then the bees and butterflies drink the water the birds spill over the side. Win,win. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Vicki.
      I coaxed a bee out of the water and on to my finger yesterday. Had decided to sprinkle water up on to the verandah (while watering the garden from down below) to top up the bowl... and I'd succeeded in knocking her over and flooding her with water :O
      She soggily climbed on to my finger and I put her on a nearby ornament to dry out. All was well.
      Your bees and butterflies sound like they're enjoying life up your way too - beaut to watch the birds having fun in the water isn't it.
      Cheers now :D)

      Delete
  11. HAPPY new year! of course my hopes & thoughts go to those affected by the fires over there...

    i LOVE that last shot...with the three bees lined up on the edge...looking down!! (poor bee) but great capture!
    and the little bee standing on the 2 pieces of cork! oops! i hope those corks don't start to spread apart!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Laura and many thanks for your wishes :D)

      Lol, it was kind of like those three bees just wanted their photo taken too!

      Delete
  12. We have been seeing and reading all about the horrendous heat and fires in your area...horrible! Prayers coming everyone's way and, as the dogs would say, Magical thoughts for rain...nice gentle healing rain!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Linda, some rain would be lovely indeed. I believe that some has been falling further North, which bodes well for the poor souls up there. Hopefully it will continue.
      Thanks for popping over and hoping that Fuzzy continues to recover :D)
      Cheers now.

      Delete
  13. I hate fires. But this is a great post and I think you have an amazing blog!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gina, thank you for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments.
      Yes, fires are a devastating problem world-wide aren't they.

      Delete
  14. Very interesting post, Susan. I love all the little bees in your pictures.... obviously you're not allergic to the stings. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, no neither of us are allergic to stings, although MD got one in the eye and it swelled up a lot but it wasn't an emergency - just very uncomfortable. We put it down to one rogue bee who must've been having a bad day as he can move amongst them quite freely.
      I, on the other hand, keep my distance - near their hive - as I give off a bit of fear which is the clincher apparently, amongst those who know :D)

      Delete
  15. I didn't know that! I love a person who thinks of the bees. Here in town I cheer every single one I see because so many people treat their yards and kill them. Makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, yes, keep cheering them on - our world's food supply would suffer terribly without them!

      Delete
  16. Yes Susan, it's been an awful time..with fires and floods.

    Very interesting with the bees, I would have never thought to put out water with sticks for them. Amazing Photo's as usual. :-) Loving your Art in the sidebar too Susan.
    Blogging when you want to blog is the way to go, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vi,
      I am thinking that Autumn can't come quick enough!
      Am so pleased you found this post interesting - I wouldn't have know about that myself were it not for my Husband's interest in bees.
      Thank you for your comment about my art - it's such a beautiful way to relax I find - and I have something to show for it too.
      Being a Sometimes Blogger works for me - this way I'll never give it up as I love sharing the mutual interests and friendships with mutual bloggers. Cheers now :D)

      Delete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx