.... "oh oh oh"
those little exclamations were all I could utter as I spied this Eastern Spinebill land in our Grevillea
It was through our lounge room window and, every time in the past when I tried to sneak up and photograph it, it would fly away... frightened by any tiny movement on my part.
They're such timid, flighty, little birds
I couldn't believe it, this one stayed and I got my shots.
Oh, I dearly love Eastern Spinebills
Have a great weekend everyone :D)
An Update: Here is a link to Birds in Backyards which contains lots of info about this wonderful tiny bird, including a recording of its sweet song.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
how pretty - both the bird AND flowers! it reminds me of a bee-eater (i think that's the right name for them).
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm dotty about these birds. They're much smaller than a bee eater (I had to look that one up though ... all adds to the knowledge bank - thank you Theresa!).
DeleteHave updated my post with a link to Birds in Backyards for information about these little beauties (including a recording of its beautiful song).
(i love that one w/ the feet wrapped around the stem).
ReplyDeleteOh thank you... I too thought that one in particular was so cute. They're so tiny and nimble :D)
DeleteWhat a sweet little bird...good photo. A long beak, like a hummingbird?
ReplyDeleteHi Mary, many thanks, yes, its beak is just like that of a hummingbird isn't it. They hover when supping on nectar just as your hummingbirds do too :D)
Deletei thought it looked a lil like a hummingbird, holding on for dear life!!
ReplyDeletei get so excited, to capture them in such natural, beautiful surroundings!!
LOL! Yes, it is exciting Debbie... I truly could not say anything else but oh oh oh while taking all my photos. I shall confess - 208 in all! Yay! Of course many were not much chop but I took them anyway, it's so rare to get captures of this particular bird :D)
DeleteSusan, what a great set of pics. Great photo skills, great!! You have a nice weekend, too. (hug)
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you Renae... I'm so glad you enjoyed them :D)
DeleteNever ceases to amaze me you skill in getting great bird shots. Fantastic!
ReplyDeleteNow that's so nice of you to say, thank you Deb. Spurs me on no end :D)
DeleteGreat capture!
ReplyDeleteIsn't the Eastern Spinebill just a gorgeous wee bird? From the way they can cling to a plant stem without bending it, they must weigh next to nothing.
Have a great weekend, Susan.
xx
Wow, thank you Vicki... I've always been in awe of your small bird captures and, yes, they are gorgeously gorgeous. Wrens coming next in line to my favourite Spinebills ;D)
DeleteI just looked it up - they can weigh up to all of 11 grams... how precious is that :D)
Beautiful photograph Susan
ReplyDeleteI love the colours.
Well done to you for doing it so well.
Have a lovely weekend
Fiona x
Many thanks Fiona. I too love their very distinctive markings and never ever will tire of looking at them and that beautiful curve of their outline :D)
DeleteWonderful shots Susan!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Maria. I hope you are having a beaut weekend :D)
Deletewow! beautiful!! BOTH flower and bird! what a combo!!!!
ReplyDeleteLovely, thanks Laura - a perfect combo... yeah! :D)
DeleteBeautiful Susan. You are such an amazing photographer. Have a nice weekend even though yours is halfway over on your side of the pond:) B
ReplyDeleteHi B, thank you for your kind words - I thank the day MD took me into the camera shop and pointed me towards the cabinet!
DeleteOur weekend is dry after lots of flooding rains, so we're out in the garden and loving it. I hope yours is going well too - no doubt you're back out raking up all that hay in the heat... my good thoughts go with you :D)
Susan, not sure what he uses that pecker for, but oh boy, it's a long one for such a wee bird!
ReplyDeleteLove ya,
Cherri
Lol! Love it... hi Cherri, lovely to have you visit too :D)
DeleteWhat a sweet little bird, and, he let you catch him this time! But, I still love your Grevillea-it's so unusual, and spine tingling-you captured it well! I agree with Buttons, you're a fabulous photographer! Take care, see you soon!♥
ReplyDeleteYay! and Thank you kindly Susan :D)
DeleteYes that elusive little chap finally let me catch him. Couldn't believe how long he stayed around. The Grevilleas are a beautiful native aren't they. We have other varieties of them flowering in the garden at the moment... hmmm, think I know what I'll photograph next ;D)
Oh oh oh! That bird looks like a delicate one... not too big, with long, thin beak and you've captured it sucking from the petals, magnificent! Your new home looks pretty too :D
ReplyDeleteSo, so delicate, yes Farida, and so teeny tiny too. Thank you for your compliments, I do appreciate them :D)
DeleteWhat a beautiful bird! You got some great shots. How neat it stayed still long enough for you to get your photos!
ReplyDeleteHi Lea and thank you - I was really lucky that this little fellow was far more interested in brekky than me!
DeleteAh yes that sweet song ... when I hear it I feel as if it is taunting me ... come out an TRY to catch me in your camera it calls. Well done catching this fidgety little beauty.
ReplyDeleteIt really made my day Joan - and, yes, don't they have such a sweet song. They try to be private but give themselves away with it :D)
DeleteHey Susan, your photos are amazing.......the clarity and detail. Your patience has paid off.....
ReplyDeleteI love finding out more about birdlife and the link was great. Not sure if I've seen any around here. But have spied nectar feeding birds in Summer. Shall have to get my bird book out and do a bit of homework.
It's another grey, gloomy and damp day here......I'm loving it ( weird I know!)
The wood stove went out overnight, unfortunately but the heater is cranking and it's nice and cosy inside.
Hope you are warm, well and enjoying your day,
Claire x
Really glad you enjoyed them too Claire! I was there at just the right time :D)
DeleteThese are our cool weather nectar eaters... it's their distinctive profile which gets me each time, such a long beak for poking into the tiny openings in mostly native flowers it seems!
I'm loving the thought of your wood stove churning out cosiness at this time of year Claire --- your big pots of yumminess sitting on it in your recent post looked so nice :D)
Wow ...great shots Susan! And that flower is spectacular! Grevillea... must look it up.....I'm sure they don't grow here .... I've never seen anything like it... it's one amazing flower...love the one with dew drops in the header
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Vee - it's amazing how many varieties of Grevillea there are too. Being a native and one of my favourites, I love to take cuttings from it and spread them liberally throughout our garden :D)
Delete