B was fortunate in that, with support, right up to her nineties she was able to live at home until the end ... which came a week ago.
B's last days were just as she wanted, continuing to add little touches, here and there, to her garden. This peacock was given the job of prettying up a bare stump.
The Autumn leaves had fallen, but there is always a beautiful spot in her garden to sit quietly.
Determined to keep going, she had these chain supports erected - for those occasional off-balance moments.
"Pick the lemons" she'd yell over the fence. We did!
An avid pruner of trees, she always asked whoever was doing the pruning for her to leave these particular Camellias alone. I'd once remarked on how much I loved them... so B let them continue on their rampant way instead of being tamed and tidied. I love how they cover our side of the fence.
Last year I asked if I could photograph her garden. It was a delight to do so!
B had been in hospital and was thrilled when I gave her the printed photos. She said she couldn't believe it was her garden - it looked beautiful !
These little fellows live just outside her front door.
Looking out across the fence early this morning, this King Parrot is waiting his turn at her bird feeder.
B knew she was going. Didn't want anything to mark her passing. She had no family, but wasn't alone. Her last act will be to gift research into childrens' diseases.
Her garden carries on as gardens do. Just how B wanted.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
oh, susan. i am sorry for your loss, but what a wonderful neighbor she must have been! and to live long and remain active - God bless her...
ReplyDeleteThanks Theresa and, yes, she was a wonderful neighbour who strove to hang on to her independence even though it was whittled away by her physical needs.
Deleteoooohhhh susan, what a beautiful post. so sad, so beautiful, so eloquently written.
ReplyDeletei hope this is us one day. this is just how i would like to be remembered!!
I appreciate that Debbie. Our mutual love of gardens certainly bring people together don't they.
DeleteA beautiful tribute to a special neighbour. Your photos are beautiful as always Susan.
ReplyDeleteShe was Maria, thank you.
DeleteWhat a lovely garden of B's. My pop loved his garden, he also lived at home until his 90's..just the way he wanted it. It's so special that they can do that..meant the world to him. :-) Sorry to hear of B's passing though. x
ReplyDeleteYes, thanks Vi, it is special. Your pop's garden obviously gave him a lot of pleasure and beaut memories for you :D)
DeleteOh, Susan, I cried. So poignant. You can tell what a special woman B was through your photos. RIP B. Her legacy will live on through her gift to research of children's diseases.
ReplyDeleteHugs.xx
Dear Vicki, yes she was... also a very private one. I once told her about my blog and how, from time to time, I'd love to include photos of her garden, with her permission. She laughed and said something like "I don't know about all that new stuff - give me my radio any time".
DeleteWe were so touched when we heard of her legacy too.
what a truly beautiful post. She sounds like a wonderful neighbour.
ReplyDeleteThanks Deb, I was hesitant at first to do this post... but it felt good putting it together.
DeleteOh Susan I truly am sorry for the loss of your friend and neighbour B. She sounds like she was a truly amazing soul. I am sure she made your life much brighter just by being there. Take care my friend and your tribute photos of B's garden are beautiful. Hugs B
ReplyDeleteHello B, yes, the sounds of her trundling along her path in her scooter, calling to her doggie and the laughter when her Carer visited always drew a smile. Funny how the little things stay with us isn't it. Thanks for your visit and kind words too B :D)
Deletesusan, i'm so sorry for the loss of your friend & neighbor B. what a wonderful post...a tribute...memories of B and her beautiful gardens. her camelia bush is amazing! she lived long...and was able to keep doing what she loves...she was lucky to have you as her neighbor and friend. and she will always be remembered by her flourishing plants! :) xoxo
ReplyDeleteThanks Laura, yes, as you say, her flourishing plants and beautiful gardens will always be a reminder of her :D)
DeleteB and I are kindred spirits. God Bless her beautiful soul. What a gift to live next to her!
ReplyDeleteMary, how lovely to see you pop up again... yes, it was such a peaceful and happy experience having B as our neighbour :D)
DeleteWhat a beautiful garden B had
ReplyDeleteand how kind you were to her Susan
to photograph it and present her with the photos.
It made me a little sad looking at the photo of the bench
it will never have her resting there and admiring her handiwork.
Take care Susan
x
She did indeed Fiona and I really appreciate you popping over - your thoughts are lovely and uplifting too :D)
DeleteWhat a lovely sounding person. A good friend of ours when dying was so appreciative of photos of the garden she'd put so much love in. I'm glad you managed to do this for B.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your visit too Jenny. Seeing something through others' eyes can often be a delightful surprise can't it :D)
DeleteThis is a sweet tribute. Sorry for your loss...the photo post was lovely, gardened by a lovely lady.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Mary. B certainly was a lovely lady - not sure what she'd think of this post though, she wasn't too keen on computers :D)
DeleteSorry for your loss of this dear friend. It is a blessing to have a special neighbor. Her garden is lovely. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteLara
Welcome to my blog Lara, yes, you're right - a special neighbour is a real blessing... it's nice to share a wave or a chat over the fence :D)
DeleteSusan, I don't know how, but I missed this post. I am so sorry for your loss of your friend. What beautiful gardens...you took fabulous photos, and she got to see them. A lovely tribute. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteAw thanks Susan... no worries about missing this post - keeping up with blogs takes time and I know what it's like. Feel comfortable popping over whenever, no matter how long after I've posted :D) I appreciate your comments and yes I enjoyed showing her the photos.
Delete