Saturday, May 26, 2012

Not just purl and plain anymore!

I just love taking my time and visiting blogfriends.  There's always something interesting going on out there.

Alongside her many interests, Maria of  The Next Stage blogspot does an enormous amount of knitting for her family, friends and various charities in her area.
She has also kindly shared her easy "I don't do difficult" Wavy Slipstitch Knitting Pattern on her blog.
Here is a link:  The Next Stage: Slipstitches 

When you first enter Maria's blog, one of her beautiful throws is displayed as her header.  The use of the wavy slipstitch really caught my eye - it adds real "oomph".

I can turn out a not too bad purl and plain...  perhaps a moss stitch if pressed, but never could get my mind (or fingers) around a pattern stitch .... UNTIL NOW !!   Yay!  Look what I produced thanks to Maria's thoughtfulness in sharing her talents:

This is what I've done by following Maria's simple instructions and, wow,
am so pleased - the possibilities are endless!!






53 comments:

  1. that is really pretty, susan! i like your header photo, too. lots of 'oomph!' there, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Theresa... our Abutilons have gone crazy this year, they are thriving! I availed myself of a "cutting" of a yellow variety which was hanging over a fence I happened to be passing, and even that is growing well :D)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Deana, lovely to have you visit :D)

      Delete
  3. Looks great! I may give it a go one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks CrackYW... you should - when I say it's easy.. it truly is. Have totally amazed myself. All due to Maria's easyread instructions :D)

      Delete
  4. Looks great and I love your header too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am so enjoying a bit of knitting Annie. Will have a go at your lovely rug once I get plenty of material together... didn't have quite as much as I thought! Cheers and thanks for your visit :D)

      Delete
  5. Love your new header. I do wish I could knit when I see such cool patterns. Nice work. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate that B :D)
      It really does get the creative juices flowing doesn't it!

      Delete
  6. Good for you Susan. It's easy when you know how. I've been a knitter since I was about 16. I also ran a yarn shop for years and used to teach many how to cast on the easy way, repair garments etc. I've knitted so many items for family,friends and for sale- I've lost count. Now I do a small amount of knitting and mainly do crochet. It's easier on my hands.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Sue, you're a dedicated knitter all right. Now, crocheting... our Daughter is great at crocheting but my attempts have been futile. It's my two left thumbs you see ;D)
      Perhaps a bit further down the line, that may be my next goal.

      Delete
  7. it's so pretty susan, i really like the colors!! what will it "be" when it is finished??

    we are a diverse group, i am always amazed at what people are up to!!

    i am off to check maria's blog out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. Now, that's a good question... it will most likely be a block for the ongoing saga of another throw rug which has, to date, taken the past year to complete ha ha! or... I'm thinking, I could just keep going, double it over and make it a scarf. Just the weather over here for that!

      That's right, we are a diverse group - ideas everywhere, just for the visiting and reading. Love it :D)

      Delete
  8. That looks great Susan!And as you say, ' the possibilities are endless' :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Maria for your comments, inspiration and your help. I'm getting thoughts of a jumper for us each now !! Used to make stocking stitch ones years ago, I'm thinking how nice it would be with this pattern incorporated :D)

      Delete
  9. Susan, I don't know beans about knitting. My sister and grandmother are the knitters in my clan. I tried it and was so crazy at it that no one would want the items I knitted, especially me. Good on ya and I'm glad you enjoy it. I have crocheted tho, and that isn't difficult but I don't do it in the meanwhile. see ya, oh, Ps. I have been at my computer all day, cuz I'm not going to be on it until Tuesday, because of our National Memorial Day holiday this weekend; 1) Yard sale shopping tomorrow, 2)church on Sunday, 3)and decorating my parents grave on Monday - and BBQ in the evening here at home. busssssy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renae... I think crocheting is beautiful too. As Sue says in her above comment, it's easier on the hands as well, which is another plus!
      Thanks for dropping by and I hope your holiday weekend is all you would like it to be. Cheers :D)

      Delete
  10. Susan, so beautiful. And isn't it fun!?! I started picking up knitting again after taking a few years away. My first project was socks using 2 dp circulars. I've loved crocheting and knitting since I was 8. Back in the saddle again :>)

    So glad you're doing it too. Keeps the mind and hands busy... Be well, my friend,
    Cherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cherri, it's nice to start back up with something again. Socks sound great and it'd be good to have them made exactly to your own liking. As you say, always good to keep the mind and hands busy ... we can get into too much trouble otherwise can't we ;D)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Pham Minh and it was nice of you to visit :D)

      Delete
  12. Looks great. My fingers are itching to get back into knitting, it's that time of year I guess, but I have not decided on a project yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan! Plenty of cool weather left yet - you'll come up with something I reckon :D)

      Delete
  13. Looks fantastic Susan
    and I love the colours.

    Hope to start knitting again
    but probably later in the year
    when the weather gets cooler and the
    evenings shorter.

    Your work is great.

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Fiona... yes, I was real pleased with my colour combo too :D)
      Knitting is definitely for the cooler weather isn't it. Enjoy it when you do start.

      Delete
  14. I wish I could still knit....my fingers just won't let me. Like you I like to knit in the winter.


    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, sorry to hear about your fingers... I didn't realise how much kinder crocheting is on them until I read Sue's comment above. Perhaps that might be an option?

      Delete
  15. Ola Susan,acho belíssima a arte de tricotear,minha mãe era "expert" neste trabalho e também fazia crochet muito bem,por isso sempre deixei esta parte com ela e me especializei mais em costuras,pinturas,e faço o design e produzo peças[jóias] de pedras brasileiras.O trabalho que estas fazendo está muito bonito.Parabéns pela tua escolha.Grande abraço minha querida amiga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Suze, thank you for your kind words. Yes, it is nice to think back to our mothers' fine works isn't it. I am interested in your crafts and shall visit your blog and look more closely! Cheers for now :D)

      Here is a translation of Suzane's above comment "Hello Susan, I think the art of beautiful tricotear, my mother was "expert" in this work and also did crochet very well, so when I left this part with it and I specialized more in sewing, paintings, and I design and produce pieces [ Jewelry] brasileiras.O stone work they're doing a lot for your bonito.Parabéns escolha.Grande hug my dear friend."

      Delete
  16. Lovely work :)
    I used to knit, but had to give it up due to carpal tunnel. You're making me long for a visit to the yarn shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy, and thank you. That's such a shame, hopefully your wrist has healed now.
      I'm finding there are so many bloggers who enjoy knitting - it never really went out of fashion did it, just turned in another direction!

      Delete
  17. Quite impressed, but isn't it a bit warm for knitting!? Just asking! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thanks DeeBee... no, not warm here - it's quite nippy these days now and Winter is knocking on the door ;D)

      Delete
  18. Wow Susan..looks great. My mother in law tried to teach me how to knit, but i didn't stick with it. I really should give it another go oneday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vi.
      I reckon you'd knock out a lot of interesting knitteds... you've a real creative mind :D)

      Delete
  19. hello Susan, just stopping by to visit! And I notice that you own a lovely Landrover!! Can't beat 'em! We have 4 between us in the family - fanatics, I say!
    Thanks for visiting me over at sistersun, I'm glad you dropped by. Please don't hesitate to leave a comment if you do decide to join in with my colour fun, even if it's late! I know I really enjoyed looking back at my pics - even if it did start out as a cleaning exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you here Evi - greetings! Yes, we loved our Landrover... it took us safely over many thousands of kms!
      I shall look forward to joining in with your colour fun on Mondays too, thank you :D)

      Delete
  20. Simply gorgeous, Susan -- blogging communities are full of wonderful people who share their awesome talents and tutorials. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Nancy. You're so right too :D)

      Delete
  21. How lovely, such a pretty pattern. Another reason I love blogging, so many wonderfully generous people out there who share their own talents and of course we get to see yours and these beautiful results. I love the color combination you chose too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise - if I had seen that pattern somewhere without Maria's encouraging words attached... no way would I have attempted it!
      Yes, being able to receive and share via blogging is beaut :D)

      Delete
  22. I'd love to be able to knit and admire anyone who can.

    So what are you knitting with your three lovely coloured wools in the slipstich pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki... um, not sure what it will end up being. Something absolutely fantastic no doubt !! LOL!

      Delete
  23. Ola querida amiga,estou muito feliz por nos termos reencontrado.Adoro teu blog e acho que és uma pessoa muito especial.Quanto aos meus trabalhos com pedras brasileiras,eu nunca quis postar no blog para não misturar as coisas.Eu devia então ter um segundo blog sobre esta matéria e sinceramente não tenho condições de atender a dois blogs.Este que tenho agora não é tão simples ,pois tenho que selecionar as musicas ,pedir para meu marido que é pianista fazer a orquestração[nem sempre ele pode,aí tenho que esperar a oportunidade certa]estudar a canção,que ela esteja bem no tom da minha voz,fazer a gravação,fazer uma pequena resenha do filme em questão,selecionar imagens,e fazer a transposição de meu rosto para a foto escolhida.Isto é bem complicado e quem tem feito isso para mim é meu sobrinho,que entende bem do assunto.Depois de tudo isso é que vai para a telinha.Isto tudo tira um bom tempinho do dia.Acho que talvez mais tarde,quando não tiver mais o que cantar,farei um blog só com meus trabalhos de pedras brasileiras. Aqui na minha cidade eu faço desfiles muitas vezes beneficientes e tem agradado bastante o pessoal que assiste.E como minha filha que mora no Kauai[Hawaii]trabalha com importação e exportação de pedras brasileiras ,faço também minha exportação de trabalhos para lá.Nossa ,parece que jáGrande abraço escrevi um jornal.Grande abraço querida Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Suze, many thanks for your lovely comments. Yes, it is good to just concentrate on one thing at a time. I can imagine how your music takes up a lot of your time.
      It will be nice to also see your jewellery crafts whenever you are ready. Thank you for visiting, as always :D)

      Delete
  24. Beautiful! I enjoy doing crafts too but not knitting :p I also visited her blog and found her header amazing! Good luck with your future projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Farida, I'm knocked out by how we all enjoy some kind of crafts. It's a real basic instinct in us isn't it :D)

      Delete
  25. Just lovely, Susan! I tried to learn knitting in the past but could just never quite get the hang of it. I did do a lot of crocheting though (years ago), and your post makes me miss that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Susan... you know, I could never quite get the hang of crocheting - that is something that dangles itself in front of me as a challenge. My rows either get progressively smaller or larger when I attempt it!

      Delete
  26. Hi Susan, I'm running pretty far behind these days...spending a lot of time outdoors and working every day. I love your header photo. Everything looks so pretty right now. And, your knitting piece is beautiful-congratulations. I cannot knit, but, I have done some crochet with pretty good results. Hope you are doing well. I do have some posts up my sleeves, we had our grandson for the past week, so, there hasn't been much down time to write. See you soon! Hugs to you and MD!♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to have you visit again Susan. I'm always behind in visiting blogs too - but, no worries eh! We get there, they're not going to go away. It's always a delight when we connect up again. Spending time with your grandson is tops... we've been visiting our family this past week - can't beat it for a lovely time.
      Thank you re: my knitting attempts :D)

      Delete
  27. i really like the colors you picked for your knitting!
    i used to knit quite a bit...all scarves...because i can only do straight things! ha.

    but i never learned to do fancy stitching...like that!! GREAT work! i can't wait to see it as it grows!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx