Monday, September 5, 2011
well, well... what a surprise!
We returned to do another quick check on the progress of Mumma Swan and her chick.
Nest abandoned ... but that wasn't the surprise. We walked further along the shoreline...
and THIS WAS THE SURPRISE!!!
She'd had TWINS ....
Cute, cuddly, gorgeous little twins.
At first we weren't sure whether it was our Mumma Swan and Dad, however, a quick check of the white markings across their beaks (compared to earlier photos) revealed that, indeed, this was our Swan Family. The second egg and second cygnet just didn't show in the split seconds she allowed me to photograph her nest!
We stayed and watched as both parents gently guided their chicks down to the water for some feeding lessons - they were already great swimmers!
I'll post some more of their antics in the water a bit later on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :)
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely Awesome!
ReplyDeleteGreat Photo's and thanks for sharing
Blessings
oh my gosh! how adorable!!! and glad dad is back to do his protection duty too!
ReplyDeletesusan, i have been so excited, waiting for you to update!! what an awesome sight, the twins are so completely adorable!!
ReplyDeletesooooo happy mom and dad are both tending to the little ones!!
i wish i could hold them just once, to squeeze and kiss them!!
great photos, glad to hear all is well back home
ReplyDeleteMaybe when you took the photo of the first egg she was about to deliver the second one...that's why she got up....to make room for the next one. My they're cute. Maa
ReplyDeleteSo cute, so fluffy!
ReplyDeleteSusan I love your photos of the swan family. I had never seen cygnets until 2 years ago when I went to Floriade in Canberra and there was a swan family on the lake in that big park where Floriade is held...I was mesmerised!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting, Susan and what marvellous photographs you've shared here of that happy little family!!! I am looking forward to following their growth and development with you through these pages...thank you!!!
ReplyDeleteJust superb! I love this story, it just gets better and better. My class has been following the progress. Its holidays here at the moment so I must remeber to show them when we go back.
ReplyDeleteDeb
What a delight. I am so glad you have kept up these progress reports ... very engrossing.
ReplyDeleteToo cute for words! Those babies are just precious. Wonderful captures!
ReplyDeleteButtons we so agree!!!!!
ReplyDeleteBlessings, thank you. We were thrilled to catch up with them :D)
TexWisGirl, I think at last Dad is allowed to have a look-in ;D)
Debbie, MD suggested we go and look for them in, fortunately, the right direction... could easily have gone the other way. Yes, I too would love to give them a squiss. Their fur looks so soft.
Angela, thank you and, yes, all good back here. Happy to read you're having such a great holiday!
Maa, that could very well have been the case, yes! I was sure there was only one egg in that split second. The nest wasn't very deep either.
DeeBee, such little cuties - it's been lovely following them. I'm a bit swan-smitten at the moment :D)
Maria, what a lovely experience... in such a beautiful setting too :D)
Desiree, oh you're very welcome. I have taken literally hundreds of photos of them now. Get quite overwhelmed when I have to choose which ones to post :O lol.
Deb, well now that's so lovely! I'm so thrilled they're following all this. I've got some gorgeous photos coming up of them learning to eat their greens!! I would love it if your class would like to do some drawings of them. I've admired their pretty drawings on your blog previously.
Unfortunately, Faithful Duck was nowhere to be seen. Perhaps he/she had found another Mumma Swan to sit beside and keep company.
Joan Elizabeth, I'm real pleased you're enjoying them. I get a kick out of posting about them.
Jill, thank you very much. They look so nice and healthy too. Slightly wobbly now and then, but they're strong swimmers.
What a wonderful blessing, indeed! Nothing better in life than an added bundle of joy...times two!!
ReplyDeleteSusan, superb photography. You have the world as your audience :>)
Many cheers,
Cherri
Could this get any better? What a glorious site! I love them, and your photos are too wonderful! A beautiful family...it's like they're your family. I hope you get to watch them grow some. This is yours to enjoy always Susan!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful....twins!! alright!!
ReplyDeleteOh Susan,
ReplyDeleteThis Journey with Mumma Swan is the most beautiful Journey I have experienced so far Visiting any Blog... absolutely no insult to anyone else's Blog I visit.... but this experience continues to grow in wonder and beauty, better than a TV documentary, better than a Nature Book.
Your photos of the Swan Family are exquisite Susan.
My heart is truly in raptures.
Feel truly privileged.
Thank you heaps Susan,
Good wishes from Magda in Queensland Australia
What a surprise two of them. They certainly are not ugly ducklings.
ReplyDelete((sorry...i've been too busy lately...but i'm trying to get caught up....))
ReplyDeletewow!! and this was worth waiting for...i'm glad you're my first stop this morning!! awesome pictures...and the cutest little fluffy swan babies EVER!! the mum and dad look just alike...how can you tell the difference? do you know the secret? i look forward to watching your photo journey as they grow!! :)
So very happy to see this end well :)
ReplyDelete