Mumma Swan shows how it's done...
... and here's dinner - a nice long juicy piece of greenery.
![]() |
| "Aw, do I really have to?" |
![]() |
| "You go first" |
![]() |
| "Yay... I did it. May I have some dessert now ?" |
Something's up. Dad starts hissing loudly and rushes off. Mumma stays back with the chicks and watches...
We think it's most likely an eel in the water. A danger to cygnets. Dad really gets angry...
... and pounds the water with his beak, all the time hissing very loudly.
Mumma Swan decides it's time for everyone to get out of the water. The little ones would rather stay and play!
They need a bit of convincing.
Off they all went, back to find safe, warm shelter for the evening.
And so ends our latest update on Mumma Swan and her family. Unfortunately, Faithful Duck was nowhere to be seen. Perhaps he/she has found another Mumma Swan to keep company. Thank you for joining us and sharing in this special time.
In my other blog 'just (take the) photos' I've linked up with Tammy's Photography Spot 'Behind the Camera'. The photos I chose were of (ha ha what else) the cygnets being very determined in their funny little efforts to climb up a sandhill.
If you can possibly stand any more cuteness, you're most welcome to pop over there and see the photos :D)














In all the excitement at seeing these little balls of fluff, I'd overlooked how vulnerable they are and will be for quite some time yet! Oh, I do so hope nothing is going to harm them! That will be so sad! This was such a lovely post, but the reminder of lurking danger brought home to me the realities of their existence! What amazingly good parents they are and those cygnets are utterly adorable!
ReplyDeleteSusan I have so enjoyed these posts. It shows us just how nature really works. A Mother is a Mother no matter what kind. Always teaching her children and the Dad the great protector. Thank you so much for sharing these awesome photos. I truly enjoyed them. B
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely superb! One can't have enough of watching these little cuties. I love the prints in the sand as well!
ReplyDeleteToo precious! What a family! The greatest Swan photos ever Susan. So amazing to watch Papa go into action to protect his family. And mumma teaching her babies already. YOU'RE HIRED!!!
ReplyDeleteoh, these are so sweet! glad dad is getting ferocious with the dangers lurking nearby!
ReplyDeleteGood job, Dad! These little babies are just too sweet!
ReplyDeleteThe tension in one's heart Susan... and yes Eels are a true danger, even in home dams.
ReplyDeleteDad looks to have been stamping the water with his feet as well, by the way the water is churned.
Love the expression of intense, loving concentration as Mumma Swan watches her little one's progress seeking for munchies... the expression, such a contrast to when on the alert, while Dad fends off the problem...
And Mumma Swan's expression is very serious about time to get out of the water being then not later... then contentment walking with them on the dry sandy terrain.
Your beautiful photography allows the seeing of so many little extras Susan, appreciate so much this experience.
The web-foot-prints in the sand... The strength of the Parents on either side of the slight impression made by the two chicks still so new to life.
Magic plus is the feeling for me.
Do hope Ducky shows up again... though maybe his sitting time with Mumma Swan is over with Puppa Swan now directly involved... and as you suggest... some other lucky Mumma Swan is being kept company by Ducky.
Magical Journey Susan,
Thank you from Magda in Queensland Australia
Forgive this 2nd input Susan... but...
ReplyDeletethough unable to show you, noticed my Doves taking an interest in your Photo Stories of the Swans... so have been enlarging them...
can only write that they looked on with great interest and reminded me we have a larger screen to use to see...
so we'll be doing this Journey again, in the evening, with the big screen attached do the viewing via 18inches... dumb me for not thinking of it my self.
Thanks again
huge appreciation from Magda and my Doves in Queensland Australia
I love these photos of your swan family Susan, especially interesting to see the cygnets lessons from mama and daddy being very protective. Thanks for the update. I'm going over to look at your other blog now.
ReplyDeletecuteness overload!! you will never know how much i have enjoyed this journey with you!!
ReplyDeletethank you soooo much for sharing this with us!!
Susan your photos are absolutely amazing....and great quality too .... the water is beautiful.....
ReplyDeletelove the little baby having a go at getting his own dinner...how cute....
What a great story, wonderful cuteness in the middle and a perfect end with those footprints.
ReplyDeleteA fabulous post and series of photos. You are so clever with the captions.
ReplyDeleteDesiree, yes, it's obvious there's all sorts of dangers out there, but Mumma and Dad have their eyes and ears on constant alert. It amazed us how quickly Dad Swan went into attack mode, and the eel (or whatever) was quite a way over from where they were swimming. I'm sure all will be well :D)
ReplyDeleteButtons, yes, you're right, the nurturing and protective instincts are seen so clearly in them. So glad you've enjoyed the photos. We felt special being able to see it all unfold before us :D)
DeeBee, those footprints just got to me too... sometimes 'less is more' in photography isn't it :D)
Susan, it was fabulous that we found them like we did! Those chicks are certainly well looked after aren't they!!
TexWisGirl, absolutely... the Dad Swan's hissing was amazingly loud - and quite terrifying to hear too.
Jill, yep, Dad's looking after his little family all right :D)
Magda, thankyou :D) Yes, when I study (the hundreds of) photos, you're right... Mumma Swan's expression does change to express her moods. I'd love to see Faithful Duck again, but, that's how it goes. Perhaps, at this stage of the cygnets' growth, all outsiders are made to keep their distance. There's a reason for everything isn't there.
Thanks for telling us about your Doves, Magda, I find that really interesting. You have wonderful interactions with your wildlife. I was amazed at how you connected with your bees too :D)
Denise, it was lovely watching Mumma Swan teaching them... they just didn't want to have to put their heads right down into the water to get the weed. They were tentatively practising for quite a while until successful.
Ha ha, just like kids ... not all that keen to eat their greens (too much like broad beans or brussel sprouts eh? G & G!!!) ;D) - sorry Denise, I lapsed into a little private joke there!
Debbie, you're very welcome. It's lovely to share these beautiful happenings with like-minded people. That's the best part of blogging isn't it :D)
BumbleVee, thank you, I'm having fun with the new camera - it's wonderful! I was so pleased with my water shots, so am real glad you liked them :D)
Joan Elizabeth, it was a real pleasure sharing these. I agree about the footprint shots too... many thanks :D)
Diane, that's very kind of you, thank you. I can't resist the captions *blush*... I try, but, aw well, it's fun isn't it :D)
Well done!! Its a wonderful way for me to start my day. There really isn't anything cuter than a baby swan!!
ReplyDeletei just came back for another look!!we are "like minded people", i like that!!! xo
ReplyDeleteMary, lovely! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteDebbie definitely :D)... in my mind, it sort of counteracts some of the not so nice aspects of humanity that crop up in the world. Thanks for popping back :D)
love coming here for a chuckle or a sweet sigh...look forward to checking out your other blog too. thanks, Susan!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome Dmarie, it's always nice to know you've visited :D)
ReplyDeleteoh wow Susan. How adorable!! Thanks so much for sharing. You must be a professional photographer..just stunning photo's! :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Vi, I'm really pleased you enjoy the photos. I'm very fortunate to have a really good camera (MD convinced me to give the Digital SLR a try, and I'm so glad he did!) :D)
ReplyDeleteI'm so enjoying these swann updates. I thank you very much. I am sad but happy for you...Spring is in the air there and we are in fall.
ReplyDeleteLinda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com
LOVE it susan!! great shots!! the way you caught dad there...protecting his family...with his wings up in the air...and then mum...'shooing' the little ones to safety...out of the water....and then those little footprints in the sand!! what an enjoyable photo story!! and those babies are just too cute!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story, and I especially like those tracks in the sand. Came over from Debbie's It's All About Purple, and I'm so glad I did.
ReplyDeleteThank you for popping over from Debbie's blog. I'm really thrilled that you enjoyed the visit too :D)
DeleteI am also stopping in after visiting Debbie's blog. I love your post and the beautiful swans.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks and lovely to have you visit... yes, they are beautiful swans indeed. We had a lot of fun following their progress :D)
Delete