Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mary Jane, Heavy Metal, Poo, Biccies, Bicarb n more stuff!

This post was re-published to include a photo showing the location of the AC/DC tribute.
a c

NOTICE OF INTENT
To the owners of Mary Jane. 
Please be advised that, if the vessel,  Mary Jane,  is not moved from her mooring and used for her intended purpose i.e., drifting down the river, providing unlimited pleasure to those on board, within the next seven (7) days, then we, the undersigned, will gladly do so on your behalf.
Signed:   MD and I




a c





This one's especially for our Son ;-)

The Acca Dacca 'sign' is on an abandoned,  closed-off,  footbridge 
over the Mitchell River.
Photo taken from under the Mitchell River Bridge, Princes Highway,
 which is on the Eastern perimeter of Bairnsdale, Victoria


a c



The Common Heath is Victoria's floral 
emblem and comes in a variety of colours, 
scarlet, crimson, rose pink and white.
I love how this white variety was claiming its 
spot in the bush.



a c



Something a little different (hope you're not eating while scrolling down this post)



Got to pay for class I guess ;-)



a c


Things I have recently learnt:

1.  Don't rely on one particular USB - they can decide to malfunction without any warning. 

2.  When typing in the "Comments" section, before clicking on Publish, do a  Control A (it selects all), then right click and select Copy ..... that way if Blogger mucks up and the comment doesn't publish, at least it can be Pasted back in - much better than trying to remember what I've just typed.

3. Toothpaste makes a great emergency cleaner (I was in the bathroom, heard MD greeting unexpected visitors at the door - eek, the vanity basin desperately needed a spruce up).



a c


Taking a stroll down into our little rainforest, things looked a bit lot overgrown:



... clearing and pruning creepers out of the way revealed some beautiful fungi on a dead protea.  I received a lovely surprise.



Not to be deterred, the creeper had kept on growing through the fungi:



Here's an overhead shot of the same spot:


We left the dead protea in place and now nature is taking over in her inimitable way!



a c


We wanted biccies ... I was on strike.... yay, MD whipped these
Anzacs up while I did my couch potato act.
Decidedly Tastylicious


a c



Good old bicarbonate of soda - cleans tea stains from 
my best china so gently.


....as well as my enamel casserole.  I use this often, on the stovetop 
and in the oven.  For years I shied away from
enamel-ware because everything seemed to stick to it.
Hooray!  I discovered, by sheer accident, just HOW GOOD
bicarb is to clean it with.  


 a c


Thoughts of a long-distance treadmiller:


800 metres - come on keep going !!




a Thanks for your visit. 
Relax and enjoy the weekend c



23 comments:

  1. What a lovely mixed bag. Thanks for the peep...and the bicarb on tea cups tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the tour around the woods. laughed at the 'couch potato act'. obviously it works! hope you get your hands on that boat! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post..photo's of the woods..I just recently went and strike and developed " the couch potato act" I am not the only one who can move from the couch or recliner, to walk 4 feet into the kitchen for snacks etc ! ha!
    ~~HUGS~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fungi art...especially the one with new growth. They have good color. The ACDC is great! Was it on that boat? A very nice boat indeed! I really enjoy the photos of your contryside and the cool signs you come across "Poo For Sale"! That's a good one. MMMM, the Biccies do look delicious-you made out like a bandit Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lichens are gorgeous! What delightful surprises nature shields and reveals when we begin to investigate. Laura is going to love this post...poo and lichens! I'll have some classy manure, please ;) Please inform MD he is welcome to bake for me anytime. Those cookies look positively moreish! My Mum always used bicarbonate. I find bleach even better. Now if we don't hear from you in a long while we'll know MJ's owners took you up on your offer! She certainly is a lovely vessel! And that river looks so enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely "this and that" post, a bit of everything and not boring! That's great! Have a good week end :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do indeed pay for class! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Hazel, you're welcome. Good old Bi-carb ... ha ha, you'd have thought I'd put it in a proper container for the photo though ;-)


    Hi Texwisgirl, thank you ... I look at the Mary Jane every time we pass - it sits there unused!!! I just snapped ;-) So, they've got 7 days (nearly 6 now, LOL).


    Ha ha Blessings... at least you get up off the couch to get your snacks ;-)


    Hi Susan, I added another photo in this post so you can see where the AC/DC sign is. It's been there for years - brave fans no doubt eh!!
    I love that saying 'I made out like a bandit' ... "Yeah, cool"!!


    Desiree ha ha, yes, the difference in names and prices just jumped right out at me. The cheaper version had all sold out!
    It was such a delightful surprise because I'd removed so much more overgrowth (than is shown in the first photo) before I realised all that fungi was there hidden behind the weeds etc.


    DeeBee, that's lovely, thank you very much :D)


    Ms Lottie, ha ha, yes, quite so. That classy stuff musn't have smelt as bad ... or something ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I am going to give bicard a go on my enamel saucepans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been busy again. Yes, it's good to keep safety measures, especially when dealing with online stuff.

    I remember everyone saying bicarbonate of soda being very good at cleaning. Never tried it though. Unless they sneaked some in my scouring powder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your mixed bag of posts.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joan Elizabeth, I find that after a clean with it, the next time I use the casserole dish everything washes off much easier. So, actually, it only needs a clean with the bi-carb every second use :D)


    Lavi, oh yes... I'd been relying too much on the one USB - I lost (or, I should say, can't access) lots of photos and text I'd stupidly stored on it.
    I like the bi-carb as it's not so smelly and toxic as the heavier type cleaners. Just needs a little bit of elbow grease and a damp cloth :D)

    A Correction in regard to the second AC/DC photo I posted.... it's on an old unused railway line, not a footbridge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Linda, thank you kindly - so glad you enjoy the mixed bags... I think they're fun to put together :D)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this really lives up to "this & that" you had a lot on your mind!!!

    i LOVE the first picture with the reflection in the water.....

    people don't pay for "poo", do they???

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan it is always a pleasure to explore your world. I love the poo difference in prices, funny.
    I like the household hints I use baking soda and toothpaste just as you do.
    Love your photos. Back to work for me. B

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the smiles, Susan. Your blog posts always lift my spirits.

    Especially love the heath and fence post photo. Great composition.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbie, hi there! Those reflections from boats are among my favourites to photograph - can't help myself :D)
    Yes the poo is for sale, along with pumpkins, potatoes etc... all from little roadside stalls set up outside farms. Their pumpkins are great - the ground is obviously well fertilised ;-)



    Buttons, I've used the toothpaste cleaner quite often. It leaves a lovely fresh smell behind :D)
    Hope you're having a good haying week.



    Vicki, you're welcome... and thank you, that heath is a battler :D)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your this n that post and love that Heath and fence post photo-what a great composition with the way that wire is wrapped around!! Also just love the fungi!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm dieting so of course, those Anzac biccies looked really delicious :) Lovely series of photos, I enjoyed your post very much. Thank you also for stopping by and wishing me a Happy Birthday too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your posts always make me smile :>) I only have one question...do you ever sleep? LOL!

    Cherri

    ReplyDelete
  21. Calling Ravens, many thanks on both counts. I was surprised by coming across both of the subjects :D)


    Denise, thank you... the biscuits were so much nicer with having them not made by me ;-)


    Cherri, that's nice ... glad you enjoy them.
    Yep, plenty of time for sleep - now, if I was a writer that'd be a different answer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. any post with poo in the title is a must read... ahhahah.... and I think I would have been tempted to take the poo just because of the fun involved......

    My sister has horses and makes plenty of great compost with it.... I will tell her to stick out a sign and just sell the raw ingredients..... wonder if she will get any takers. In horse country everybody has plenty more than they need or want. But, the city slickers do drive out there.... but, they usually want ready made lovely clean non smelling compost. It's just lovely "new dirt" really by the time it is all composted.......

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi BumbleVee, ha ha - yes, it invites a look doesn't it!!
    The ready-made compost would sell well I'm sure.

    We made 'horse poo tea' ..... for the garden I hasten to add ;-)
    We put a few dollops in some old rag, tied it up like a big teabag and soaked it in a bucket of water for a few days. Then diluted the water again and used it on the garden. Works a treat. All a bit messy for some perhaps ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx