Friday, June 24, 2011

Tofu ... Terrible or Tasty?

For many years we've tried to like tofu.
It's a good form of protein, high in calcium and low in cholesterol.
However, we just couldn't stand the blandness and texture of it.

We described it as Terrible.

Recently, we decided to have another go.

Firstly, with paper towels,  I pressed excess water out of a small section (we're starting small) of Firm Tofu (not silken).
Then, using the suggestions of a Supermarket Tofu Tester to "slice it thinly" I did so;  and then went a step further.  I cut the thin slices even smaller and marinaded them as I prepared the rest of the meal:

That's a teaspoon in the photo so you can see how
small the pieces are.


Marinade:
Approx 1 Tablespoon each of the following:
~ crushed garlic, 
~ crushed ginger, 
~ oyster sauce,
~ sweet chilli sauce, and
~ Ketjap Manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)



~ Stir fry vegies in some oil, until nearly cooked.

(This is not a high heat stir fry - I like to just shuffle
them around at a low simmer).

~ Then add the marinaded tofu and stir through for a 
couple of minutes until everything is heated.

That's all the cooking the tofu needed and, by the time 
it was heated through, the marinade had mixed with
the vegies, imparting its flavour. No other sauces 
or flavourings were needed.





I'd prepared some "Wokka shelf fresh noodles" (cover
with boiling water for a couple of mins and strain)

separately and served them beside the stir fry.  

Since making that dish, I now throw in the noodles at the
same time as the marinaded tofu and they all heated
extremely well together. 

Our verdict .... Tasty... very Tasty - who'd have thought!.

The key (for us) is definitely in disguising the tofu by cutting it very thinly and small, and letting it soak up some flavour by way of a marinade ;-)

My next tofu venture is to try out Shaheen's Mushroom Tofu Loaf (she's also a believer in disguise !).

This post updated because I'd left sweet chilli out of the marinade!

................................................................................................................

Some more goss to share
over on the sidebar!

24 comments:

  1. well, i've never tried tofu, but the way you sliced it thinly and marinated it, i think could make it good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try it your way, we too have had a hard time eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds a little yummy, def worth a try....we have also disliked it in the past!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same experience as you so I'll swap from silken to firm and marinate it with your recipe next time I try it. I ended up using what was left of the last lot as a spread on sandwiches instead of margarine or butter. The sandwiches had fillings like curried egg, spicy chicken leftover from dinner, tuna with lemongrass and pepper - all strong flavoured fillings. Thanks for the lateral thinking idea to actually flavour the tofu itself. I can be a bit dense sometimes!
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan Not a big fan of Tofu I have ate it and don't mind it but would like to try your version. Robin also has some great advice I will try it. B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tofu....still can't stomach the thought of trying it !
    ~~PEACE~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't eat it unless I really squish the water out so it will suck up flavours from everything else, I found an article online once about dry frying tofu first to prepare it properly for marinading, but that was all a bit too fiddly for me. Your stir fry looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a fan of tofu; I'll have to try marinading it like healthy Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. NOTE: I'VE RE-PUBLISHED THIS POST AS I'D LEFT OUT ONE SAUCE IN THE MARINADE ---> 1 Tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce
    Sorry about that!


    > Texwisgirl, it's made all the difference for us... squishing the moisture out of it, as Kat comments, is also a big factor I reckon :D)

    > Angela, funny isn't it... it's one of those things they say is good to eat but it's hard to find good recipes for it.

    > Debbie, keep the slices thin and small though ;-) Any mixture of sauces that you'd use in a stir fry is good.

    > Robyn, appreciate your suggestions, thanks very much, strong flavours in sandwiches would work well as you say.
    Yes, the silken tofu is just too soft for stir fries (although it'd probably go well, say, in a flavoursome fruit smoothie perhaps).

    > Buttons, I hope you do, we just find it's a nice alternative to meat - took many years though ;-)

    > Blessings, lol, fair enough :D)

    > Kat, you've really hit the nail on the head I reckon. It's amazing how much water comes out isn't it. Thanks for mentioning that - it's the only way it will soak up a marinade.
    I tried frying tofu slices once - came out all golden brown, but bland and horrible ;-)

    > Vicki, one thing about it, it doesn't cost the earth and if you don't like it, the chooks will ;-)
    Ha ha, had to chuckle at the 'healthy Susan' have just polished off a Cherry Ripe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, i have to say, you sure made it LOOK good...but to me, tofu is just tofu...it just takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with...i'll stick to the stir fry veggies...
    BUT HEY! if i ever decide to give tofu another chance...i'll be sure to try your recipe! :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, I'll admit, your recipe looks great in the bowl, all ready to be served.

    We used to eat a lot of soy when we were vegetarians, but never tofu. We bought some once, tried a bite and it stayed untouched in the fridge until it went bad.

    Maybe try the soy beans, they taste a lot nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I agree that Tofu by itself, ummm, no. Soaked in sauce so it absorbs the flavour. Yes. I like Satay and it's something we can serve the vegans in the family.

    Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. > Laura, ha ha ... yes, I guess, for a lot of people, it's also a matter of 'why bother with it in the first place' eh! That's cool too :D)

    > Calling Ravens, hi m, thanks for popping over and commenting, and also for joining the blog - welcome! :D)
    Yes, veggies are always good... even on their own ;-)
    > Lavi, oh my goodness ... poor you - ugh, biting into tofu (I presume in its 'just bought' state)! I'd never touch it again after that experience either :O
    I drink soy milk, but can't come at the beans - wish I could!

    > Barb, hi! I think satay would be a great flavour to use with tofu - that'd appeal to us too. Thanks very much for your idea :D)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We, too, were vegetarians for years and I made a similar dish with tofu (plenty of garlic, fresh ginger, honey and soy sauce and I also used to fry up sliced mushrooms to stir in afterwards). We loved it. I bought a tofu cakes & puddings recipe book. The couple we tried were really NASTY & I tossed the useless book out.

    I actually find it quite palatable in a bland way to eat just like that, too...but no one else in my family were happy to eat it plain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. > Desiree, thanks for your recipe - the honey would be very nice with those other ingedients. Plus, added protein from the mushrooms :D)
    *chuckle* that recipe book got its just desserts by the sound of it!
    Well, I have to hand it to you ... to eat plain tofu - and enjoy it! Oh dear, not for me though. Cheers :D)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can definitely benefit from your lesson learned, Susan. you've made that gelatinous soy protein product look very tasty!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. > Dmarie, that's good, I'm really pleased :D) The thing I found with this recipe is that even though I cook the stir fry fairly slow, there's never excess juice... the tofu just soaks it all up I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad I popped in and saw this today. I have occasionally tried tofu out on hubby using various recipes and he is good about it, but he never really likes it very much. However, ever trying to give him healthier meals that actually taste good, I'm going to try again with this recipe. Thanks Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  19. > Denise, I'm sure you won't regret trying it. If it's just a small amount, tiny and thin - it will hardly even be noticeable amongst all the other colours and textures!
    MD will happily eat it in these type of recipes, whereas (I'm sure you get the picture by now) he LOATHED it just as much as I, before ;D)
    My next challenge is to try it out on our children and grandchildren ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks so yummy Susan! I like tofu small like that too. I went vegetarian (cholesterol issues) and tried tofu a lot of different ways. Its like okra and eggplant~misunderstood. Just needs some TLC to be cooked properly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. > Mary, thanks very much. Yes, sort of find out information in round-a-bout ways sometimes. It was one of those supermarket cooking demonstrators who gave us a few hints.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tofu takes on the flavour of anything you put with it... so sky's the limit on tasty.

    I will try to find my chili recipe for you that I used to make years ago..haven't done it for ages... but, very flavourful too....

    ReplyDelete
  23. > BumbleVee, in a lot of ways that's a good thing isn't it. Pretty much like zucchini/courgettes!
    I'd love to receive your recipe Vee, and, I'm sure, others who've commented here, would also, thank you :D)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx