Monday, June 20, 2011

Heavy breathing and Introducing "Over the fence" in my sidebar

Last Saturday .....



It's raining.  It's chilly, and my poor darling has a cold.
There's been a lot of heavy breathing in our home lately.






A break in the rain.
I take a quick trot down to the backyard to
pick some lemons from our kind neighbour's tree.
Just a quick photo.






On the way back....
oh, how pretty the
garden looks with the raindrops glistening.
Another quick snap.






Now that reminds me of this photo G took
some two years' ago





The rain seems to have stopped for the moment,
so I'll go get the tripod and take a comparo
photo of the same spot... just to show how the
garden has grown.


Oh dear, the whole purpose of the trip outside was to get some lemons .... [blush]




... and I  did tell my poor fellow I'd get him a warm
wheatbag as well, so into the microwave with the bag







a quick wash of the hands
[my germ phobias kick right in when there's
sickness in the house]







A nice hot lemon drink with
honey from our own bees.
A bit of Vicks in some hot water for soothing vapours,
and a dab of eucalyptus oil just under his nose.
That should help things improve!




Now for the chookies.... they're not all that thrilled with me coming down with their evening snacks.  They take their food,  but keep looking for him.... they enjoy their suppertime ritual with MD and I'm not doing things right - apparently ;-)



where is he??




.......................................................


Over the fence


Years ago, after seeing their menfolk off to work, the kiddies off to school and tidying up the household, housewives would meet over their back fences to exchange news.

I thought I'd set up my equivalent of a blog back fence in my sidebar. 


It's about sharing some great posts that I've seen in other blogs. There are millions tucked away in bloggers' archives and I really enjoy finding them. 
If you've already seen them - that's cool, if not, then I'm glad I mentioned them.

They’re in no particular order and will be ever-changing. 




19 comments:

  1. thanks for the chuckle on the heavy breathing - sorry its for all the wrong reasons!

    WOW that garden is immense now! i love the wildness to it! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, you are SO good at doing posts like this...keeping us happily trotting beside you as you chat away cheerfully, pointing out This 'n That! Just perfect! Great idea, you blog version of chatting over the back fence :)

    Hope your Hubby's soon going to be feeling very much better & hope you don't catch what he's got!

    Loved all of your pictures and stories today. You tell so much in an amazingly concise, yet charmingly entertaining way. I absolutely loved seeing the two comparative garden views...what a big difference just two years have made! Your hens look so healthy and your homeopathic cold and flu remedies take me back to my childhood ;)

    Big hug,
    Des xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rain did you say?
    Well we've had downpours for the last month in the UK and sadly it got the best out of my giant poppies, but at least plants grow well...including the weeds though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get better MD. Love your photos. What a great idea Over The Fence I look forward to seeing and reading these. Stay healthy Susan. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is amazing! What a green thumb you have!!! And lemons right next door, you are very lucky. I too get germ phoba when the grandchildren come over and are sick! Seems we always get whatever they have and we get it BAD. They just sniffle along and then get over it.

    Thanks for mentioning me in the Over the Fence section!


    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i adore the idea of "over the fence"...that's a really good one!!

    and that garden, wow...pow, someone's got a green thumb and lot's of garden imagination!! that's just beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. > Texwisgirl, thanks so much. Yep, wild is the word for our garden. All the bushes are attracting so many birds now. Hmmm, just got to start pulling out the dreaded kikuya grass that also loves the garden :D)

    > Desiree, thank you kindly. I love this blogging technology! MD is still snuffling along - the home remedies help. Was talking with my Chiropractor yesterday and she said my immune system must be in good shape to have not caught it... I'm usually the first to succumb :D)

    > DeeBee, your part of the world has had such a lot of rain hasn't it. Hey... giant poppies!! Sounds interesting. Did you take photos? Ha ha, sorry to pounce, but they sparked my interest. Sadly, yes, weeds thrive when the rain falls over here as well.

    > Buttons, hi and thank you. Glad you like the Over the Fence idea - I stalk archives when I can't sleep ;-)
    I'll keep it in my sidebar, next to the followers boxes :D)

    > Linda, thanks .. nice you like the garden. We have fairly sandy soil which native plants just love fortunately. Yes, lemons next door are wonderful - neighbour uses no sprays either, just fish emulsion once a year. We swap with eggs :D) Ha ha, glad to hear from another germ-o-phobe. I mainly wash hands and wipe door handles with my home made antiseptic.
    My pleasure for Over the Fence... everyone should meet Fuzzy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. > Debbie, hi! Your comment came through while I was preparing replies to the ones before you... tricky little comments box ;-)
    Now, thank you. I'm real glad the Over the fence spot appeals.
    All those plants out in the garden are bent right over with the weight of the heavy rain we're currently having. Can't weed today - oh dear, how sad, too bad ... ha ha ;-) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan, Want to come over with your little bag of tricks and make me feel better too? The dreaded flu has arrived!
    Like the idea of 'Over the fence'. Will goo and have a browse. Maa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, the Vicks VapoRub...my favorite! I need to try the eucalyptus oil, does it help? A beautiful lemon tree. And your own bees? Looks like you have it down to a science. I hope it gets him up and back into it. I guess your chookies may go on strike soon, huh? They are very healthy looking and pretty.

    I did stop by and look thru your "Over the Fence" posts. What fun! And a great idea.

    I'm trying to get a blog button on my blog...I created one, but so far, can't get it on there. I put it in my picassa web albums, but no go. I read mention of putting it on flickr, so I guess I'll try that. Always trying new things, huh? Talk to you soon Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, by the way, what is a wheatbag?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, so enjoyed this blog. Something soothing about the chooks, the plants, and the rain--what a paradise you live in. The before/after photos of you are quite telling...you have one heck of a green thumb!
    Hope WD is up and feeding the chooks soon--obviously they miss him. LOL!

    Cherri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hasn't your garden grown in the two years. Must be all that TLC.

    Susan, I love the story of your day in pictures, but Vicks Vaporub? That's the stuff of nightmares. I still remember the burning sensation as a kid when Mum plastered my chest with it. Worked, though. :)

    I hope the Vicks works for your darling and he's feeling well again in no time.

    Your "Over the Fence" sidebar is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your garden and the way the house sits behind! I see now how you can observe those tropical birds! Lemons. Wow, I have never tasted one picked right from the tree. What a treat! I'm headed back to see what's "over the fence"!

    ReplyDelete
  15. > Maa, aw, I feel sorry for you. It just saps your energy doesn't it. Hope you feel better real soon. - I think there's a lots of colds and flu doing the rounds ... everywhere at the moment unfortunately. Luckily, there's also plenty of lemons.
    Thanks also re my Over the fence idea :D)

    > Susan, hi! Yes! The eucalyptus oil is wonderful for clearing the sinuses - also as an antiseptic. MD puts it raw on his top lip but that's too strong for me. I put a drop or two on a hankie to inhale - lovely.
    Glad you like my Over the Fence too, thank you.
    A wheat bag is a heat pack. I make ours out of old sheets with a fleecy cover; large enough to comfortably fit in the small of the back. I've also designed one to sit on the shoulders and around the neck. It's heated by popping in the microwave for 3 to 4 mins. I use rice as a filler too sometimes. We both use ours every day, they're wonderful! I made my elderly parents one each for when they ride their mobility scooters into town. Keeps them lovely and warm.
    Susan, about the blog button, Scorpio Designs kindly made my button picture, and then it was up to me to find an image hosting site to get that html code attached to it. I used a free programme called tinypic.com took me a couple of tries because some of the boxes to click are a bit ambiguous (and I'm not that computer-savvy), but it worked in the end. Hope that's of some help. Anyone reading this, please feel free to jump in if they know of a better site :D)

    > Cherri, that's lovely of you ... thank you. We love our little nest :D)
    MD is feeling a bit better today, so he went and fed his 'girls' this arvo. afternoon. They had a bit of a grizzle (whine) to him about my fairly casual efforts at feeding them apparently (the hussies!!) ;-)

    > Vicki, thankyou re garden - we have a lovely growing climate here, are very fortunate. I do tend to pamper them as well though lol :D)
    Oh yes, ha ha, I use the Vicks sparingly. I know what you mean about it - childhood experiences. I used to get bronchitis a lot and hated the sticky feeling on my chest and throat!! It does work though, yes!
    MD is starting to come good again now thanks.
    I'm real glad you like the Over the Fence spot too Vicki, thankyou :D)

    > Mary, hi... yes, we have a good viewing area out to all the garden - I've just got the keep the window clean lol!! We are lucky with the lemons... can just reach over the fence and take our pick.
    Am sure you'll enjoy having a look at what's Over the fence - I'm really thrilled with everyones' positive responses :D)

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the heavy breathing! totally amazed at the diff in your garden!! I love coming here to get inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  17. > Dmarie, thanks for your visit, I was glad that G took that early photo - it's easy to forget ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for explaining the wheatbag. Do you put cooked rice in it? I have never heard of that. I will have to get some eucalyptus oil for sure. I will also look into tinypic.com about the blog button. I did get some tips from another site, and blogger, but they didn't work.

    I treasure your friendship, love your blogs, you are so productive Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  19. > Susan, no definitely not cooked - use raw rice only... it holds the heat really well too.

    Aw, the feeling is mutual Susan - thank you. We each learn from the other don't we - cheers, and hope your cold has gone and you're feeling a lot more refreshed now :D)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx