Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Crumbed Pumpkin and Garlic Slices

This post is in response to Hazel's Great Pumpkin Challenge. She's gathering pumpkin recipes from whoever wishes to contribute. Already there are many delicious variations of what to do with the humble pumpkin.

My offering is very simple, tasty and easy to prepare. Children like it done this way too.

I usually make it with Butternut Pumpkin - the round slices look nice, but any variety works just as well.

Crumbed Pumpkin and Garlic Slices
Cut , as much pumpkin as needed,  into slices about a quarter of an inch thick
1 egg
Half a teaspoon of finely minced garlic (or garlic powder)
Breadcrumbs
Olive Oil - enough for shallow frying
 
Lightly whisk the egg and garlic together
Dip each slice of pumpkin into the egg mix
Then coat each slice with breadcrumbs


The crumbed slices can be prepared ahead and left in the refrigerator, or, alternatively, cooked straight away as I did for this post.

Heat enough olive oil in a solid base pan and fry gently.  If cooked too fast, the coating will burn and the pumpkin will, of course, not cook through.

Turn after approx 4 minutes and then cook for another 4 or 5 minutes until, when skewered it's just tender.



Remove from pan, drain on absorbent paper (or a wire rack over absorbent paper).  These slices can be kept warm in an oven, quite happily,  until ready to be served.

Crumbed Garlic Pumpkin Slices

8 comments:

  1. hmmmmm...interesting susan!
    i LOVE garlic...don't care for pumpkin...except for the SEEDS! yum! and to CARVE them up!!
    BUT, i have to admit...your fried pumpkin slices look mighty tempting! :]

    ((FYI: by the way...my latest post didn't make it into google reader AGAIN! OR any other FEED! so please go visit me when u get a chance...suwannee river post!))

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that sounds lovely. I will put a link in my sidebar. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~ Hi Laura, here's an idea, if you put a really really lot of garlic on the slices you won't even know they're pumpkin!
    It's funny, but the older I get, the more I love pumpkin - whatever that means... probably nothing!
    Thanks for the heads up re your post, I'd just been checking yours in the reader.

    ~ Thanks Hazel, you're welcome :D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pumpkin I think I will try this it looks and sounds good. Interesting. Thanks Susan B

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe is strange and interesting at the same time. We enjoy sweet pumpkin pie here whenever we can, but I'd be tempted to try this combination too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~ Buttons, yes, if you love pumpkin, I'm sure you'll enjoy this :D)

    ~ Lavi, mmmm that sweet pumpkin pie sounds good. I'd better check out your cooking blog and see if you have done a recipe for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Set a place for me. Be there shortly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~ Blogger had deleted this comment during its recent troubles. I've copied it from my email:

    ~ Vicki Tyley "Set a place for me. Be there shortly. :)"

    ~ LOL, I'm game if you are!! Susan :D)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx